Contest #169 shortlist ⭐️

49 comments

Drama Fantasy Inspirational

Lightning cracks the dark in a second’s flash. In a moment of bone-white brilliance, stone angels pulse to life before darkness claims them once more. I start counting slowly under my breath: one and two and, three and…hurriedly passing crosses and tombstones bearing names and dates carved deep into my memory.

The thunder rumbles in the distance, but not as far away as I would like. I quicken my step along the graveyard’s overgrown path, reaching the tower as lightning illuminates the old oak door. Thunder for a second time, like the storm is knocking, seeking entrance. I shudder at the thought, quickly opening then closing the door, striding up the spiral steps two at a time beneath the flickering wall-mounted oil lamps as if I am racing the storm.

I have been taking this stairway to the heavens for the last seven years, ever since I scooped earth, once then twice, scattering it on my parents’ twin caskets, as they were lowered to their graves. One times seven is seven: I had learned that much at least when my uncle collected me from school for the last time. How many steps have I walked since that day? Too many to calculate; it is easier to chant the sum of my years, two times seven are fourteen, as I reach the final flight of stairs, stepping out into the cool night air where the tower opens like a palm.

I don’t see him at first as he is crouched over the ancestral fire, burning taper in hand, with his back towards me, but I hear my uncle’s voice, sonorous as a gong.

Keeper of the Flame?

“Yes, the very same.” My mind doesn’t even need to think of the words for my tongue to form them.

“Come to guard the ancestral light?”

“Yes, the whole long night.”

I step forward through the ring of darkness towards the central fire, set to burn long before I drew breath. For the flames danced high when my parents were Keepers, my grandparents too; and so on, right back, till my ancestor’s strong hand struck the very first spark, in this tower, on All Hallows Eve, so very long ago.

Perhaps he has been warming himself by the fire, perhaps lighting a new taper from the iron box which stands next to it; finished, he stands slowly, turning to meet me, his face cast immediately into shadow as the light dances behind him. He is a proud erect figure, sturdy and strong as the tower upon which he stands, twelve out of every twenty-four hours. Like me, he wears black from head to toe: black boots to the knee and a thick wool cloak for the days are often just as cold as the nights here. We’re so high up: the hills inch ever higher, aspiring to the mountains’ heights, peaking just beyond.

He holds out the taper and in the flash of light as it passes from his hand to mine, his normally composed face cracks briefly with what seems to be fear. Hurriedly I step back and his heavy-browed eyes are plunged into darkness. I wait for him to speak again, but he doesn’t and the silence unsettles me.

“Uncle, a storm is approaching; help me to carry the twelve candles for the dead inside or to fix the glass protectors.”

I had meant to soften my request with could and please, but lightning’s whip cracked again, just as the words left my mouth and all politeness was thrashed clean out of the sentence. Uncle must take this for impertinence.

“You know only one Keeper can guard the Flames.” He snaps, a whip himself. “Now is your allotted time; it is for you to protect the fire and to ensure the candles burn until I resume my watch in twelve hours’.”

The thunder booms around the tower’s circular turrets, lending its deep voice to my uncle’s equally commanding tone.

“Just remember,” he says at the tower’s steps, “each soul depends on you to light it on its way. Keep the fire burning.” The darkness of the tower swallows his silhouette and I am left to parrot the expected response, forever, to empty air.

There is no time to worry as the wind seems to have been waiting for his departure to fill its cheeks and blow. Simultaneously, each of the twelve candles gutter, flames bending horribly, kneeling in submission to the wind; I leap to my work. The iron box where the tapers are stored is also the keeping place for the protective glass which can shelter each candle’s light and I fling open the lid, trying to balance the need for speed with the equal need for care. Each cover is domed and made of thick glass, but there are only twelve and if even one smashes then my labours will have been in vain.

In two strides, I am at January’s candle and I carefully place the cover over the wavering flame, repeating the words I recite every time I transfer the flame from the stump of an old candle to the waiting wick of a new one:

“January’s dead, I light you the way; flame in the darkness, keep chaos at bay.”

I hurry back to the box and pick up another cover before making my way to the second candle within this ring of fire.

“February’s dead, I light you the way; flame in the darkness, keep chaos at bay.”

I place the covers one at a time over the fragile lights, waiting a brief moment to see the flame straighten and stand tall. Kneeling over the candles for the dead of March, April and May, lowering the glass over the summer months- the dead of June, July and August- I wait with each flame’s recovery for a rekindling of hope, willing it to come. I stoop and shield, stoop and shield and still no hope glimmers in my chest.

The calendar of candles will soon be complete, for I am two- thirds around this circle.

“September’s dead, I light you the way; flame in the darkness, keep chaos at bay.”

For it is chaos that must be kept at bay, I remind myself, stealing to the iron box before returning to the ring of candles. This is what my uncle had told me when he took me from school that fateful day. Leading me from the classroom, the other students hushed to silence by the teacher’s commands, returning my books to the library, hanging my satchel at its peg before turning me at the school gate to face the tower, looming tall above every house, church and tree.

“Nothing is more important in life than keeping chaos under control.” He said, ignoring my tears for my lost parents and my lost life chances.

He led me to the tower and we climbed the steps; I trailed his brisk stride, half hoping to hear the lighter step of my mother or father somewhere on the flight of stairs ahead but their feet were no longer walking this earth.

“Look up and then cast your eyes only down, upon the work set before you,” my uncle said when we stood upon the very top of the open tower, our heads brushing the roof of the sky.

“Above you is nothing but chaos: a vortex of black waiting to suck you in, where no light shines and no soul can find a way.”

I must have looked sufficiently horrified as he continued in a kindlier manner.

“But we two are the Keepers of the Flame, illuminating the paths for departing souls to follow. If we two do our work properly, no one needs to fear the long journey from our earth to the stars. The candles will always be there…” he looked at me expectantly.

“…guiding the way.” I had said it then, believing it to be true, that I could set the lights which would be beacons, ensuring no soul would stray.

Now I say it in a voice that wavers, and I feel the spark of fear deep inside me, ready to fireball out of control. For it doesn’t matter how many times I transfer the light, tend the ancestral fire or chant the words, the ember of fear is still deep inside. I try to put it out, always; I think of my mother and father, how proud they would be that I am a Keeper of the Flame like they were, but then I remember my small self, watching their determined and busy manner as they tended the lights, never a glimpse of doubt in their eyes, and all I feel is shame.

The wind strengthens and the flames of the three remaining candles lurch; sparks from the ancestral fire burst into the sky. I grab one of the three remaining glasses and head for October’s light, willing the storm- the chaos- to keep at bay a little longer.

“October’s dead, I light you the way; flame in the darkness,” but as I say the words and lower the cover, the quick fingers of the wind pinch out the flame.

The glass falls from my hand, splintering on the stones. My hand drops to my side and I kneel beside the thin tendril of smoke, rising from the spent wick.

This has never happened before. I am Keeper of the Flame and I have failed; October’s dead- how will they find the way? And how will I now keep chaos at bay?

All Hallows Eve: the night when they say the dead might walk the earth; October: the month my parents’ souls took flight. What if they are lost now, looking for my light, thinking sadly how their son has failed in the task that they performed so well?

Another gust whips the tears from my eyes. The wind tears around the turret like it is possessed with diabolical energy. Round it goes: January’s cover falls to the ground and the flame dies; February likewise and on it races to March.

I stand frozen, the horrified calm at the centre of the storm, watching as the wind crashes and smashes until there is only shattered glass and a ring of dark.

But in the centre of the tower, the ancestral fire still burns. As the wind lashes the fire into a fury of sparks once more, an idea forms: surely all I must do is light the candles from the fire and all will be well. The dead will find their way and my uncle will never know I failed.

Slipping on the shards of glass, I stagger against the wind to the fire and thrust the taper into the fire, ignoring the blazing heat as it licks up my hand and arm.

The wind howls like it’s horrified by my plan; its shriek is the summons for the deluge to start. The clouds mass and torrents of water rain down. My flying hair is plastered to my face; my thick wool cloak hangs heavier than a stone; there is nothing I can do, but fling my head back and howl, and howl, and howl at the blasted storm, the chaos, that has come and engulfed the ancestral fire, turning it to sodden ash.

“Then take it!” I scream my rage into the raging night. “Take it and take me too!”

Nothing. The wind dies, the rain ceases, the clouds scatter as fast as they had collected. The storm has come and gone, leaving me alone, encircled by darkness.

What will my uncle say? He will climb the tower’s spiral stairs, reach the tower’s top and instead of twelve proud candles and a roaring fire he will be greeted by twelve markers of shame and a beaten boy.

The night seems to creep closer, circling me. Then, light cracks the dark in a second’s flash. I think the storm has returned, this bone-white brilliance is lightning’s angry blast. But it isn’t. I turn my face for the first time upwards, and I see the moon move purposefully out from behind the last inky cloud.

At first, its strong beam is all I can see, pouring its light upon me; but as my eyes become accustomed to this radiance, I see new pinpricks tremble into life, illume. Deep in the dark, sparks of light wink back at me: one, two, ten, a hundred, thousands, infinite numbers beyond any I have ever counted.

For the last seven years, I have trained my eye to the ground, battled with the wind and weather; nursing the flames in the belief that this was the way to light the souls, to send them to the stars. But the souls need no Keepers of the Flame, here, in these heavens, are moonbeams enough to guide the way. Stars blaze from the furthest depths of the galaxy, and the light shoots its arrow straight and true to me, standing right here, in another place and time. Above my head, the stars join hands, links in a chain of hope. I stare in wide-eyed, open-mouthed wonder and laugh, at how I have got it all wrong: Here are the guiding lights; here the whole universe illuminates the starpaths and meteor trails we must follow. If this is chaos, then it shines bright with a brilliance and an order all of its own.

A familiar strong hand is upon my shoulder, and I turn to see my uncle at my side. I have been so engrossed in the heavens that I never heard his heavy step even as it walked over the broken glass. I have only ever seen him in the frail flickering light of the candles; I see him now by moon and starlight, with new eyes.

“You see it at last,” he says, smiling. “The flames for the dead we keep are all about us, in the heavens and in our hearts. These candles, the fire, are just tokens, signs. ”

“But why did you never tell me? Why did you let me fear the chaos? Make me tend the candles for so long?”

“To let you feel the wonder of what I felt, when the same happened to me, three years ago.”

My face must be a picture as he breaks into an unusual and beautiful smile.

“Don’t think, Keeper of the Flames, this is the first storm the tower has ever seen!”

There is a glimmer of laughter in his eyes as he reaches deep into his dark cloak and pulls out two flintstones.

“Wet wood is a pain to light, but let’s see what we two can do.

We kneel together in the ashes and strike the stones together. As the spark flies and the kindling takes, I feel it light for the first time that strongest of flames: hope.

October 27, 2022 19:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

49 comments

Michał Przywara
22:01 Oct 28, 2022

I enjoyed this! You burden a poor kid with a massive duty, and then trip them up. I was wondering along the way, surely this couldn't be the first storm, and of course that was the case - but it *was* the first storm for our young narrator. I like the doubt he struggles with. He's saddled with an unfair burden (even if honourable, etc.) and he's at that age where he's really starting to see the world, which naturally comes with doubts. He can't compare to his dead parents, and feels like a failure. What he doesn't know is that they surely ...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
04:33 Oct 29, 2022

Hi Michal, kind of you to pop by so soon. This one was a homage to the recent biopic on Bowie: Moonage Daydream. I built the story to indulge in a bit of wonder at our cosmos and pay homage to Ziggy Stardust! I'm expecting some amazing reads this week.

Reply

Tommy Goround
02:53 Nov 02, 2022

(it is very challenging to respond after MP. Please accept my claps.)

Reply

Rebecca Miles
22:59 Nov 02, 2022

Graciously 🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
04:24 Nov 06, 2022

Congrats on the shortlist :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
15:41 Nov 15, 2022

I enjoyed this short story it was really good.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:19 Nov 15, 2022

That's great to hear. Thanks for letting me know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Allen
09:25 Oct 30, 2022

I enjoyed this. I love how you contrasted the optimism of the ending with the shadowy feeling throughout the story. It makes for a very powerful finale!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
16:13 Oct 30, 2022

Thanks Daniel, yes I felt like it had to be an upbeat end ( didn't fancy having him push his uncle off of that tower)!😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Greg Malinson
15:06 Jan 02, 2023

What a fantastic story I really loved how the boy discovered a true meaning of his work and the magic of the night sky. Would You mind if I share it on my small storytelling YT channel?? It is a non-profit channel where I simply wish to share amazing stories such as this one while exercising reading in English as I am self-taught (2nd language)

Reply

Rebecca Miles
20:48 Jan 02, 2023

Thank you for your interest, but I would like my work to remain for the moment just on Reedsy where I can keep an eye on it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
14:25 Nov 18, 2022

Hey Rebecca, Congratulations on this shortlist! I loved how endearing it was and that final line was a real punch. I loved the way you incorporated gentle rhyme scheme in this piece and wrote the dialogue. This was such a creative use of the prompt. Nice job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Graham Kinross
00:46 Nov 18, 2022

A good writer kills their darlings, a great one tortures them with hardships that never let up, you did that really well here. Congratulations on being shortlisted. Well deserved for this. The struggles of the character reminds me of the trials of Fitzchivalry Farseer in his first book by Robin Hobb. If you’ve not read it, I think you’ll enjoy it.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
04:58 Nov 18, 2022

The poor lad is definitely tortured! I'm fascinated by your bio and how orderly you are; writing different stories to form series. That seems like a writer with their professional head screwed on. I'd like to start reading some of yours but I'll put my hands up and admit to not getting on with horrors, thrillers or stories with lots of brutality at all...it's how it is. Which of yours would you recommend for me? Thanks for stopping by!

Reply

Graham Kinross
05:43 Nov 18, 2022

I’m not into horror much either. Thank you for the offer to read my stories. You’re clearly into fantasy so maybe the start of my series Daughter of Disgrace. It’s probably my favourite of my stuff here. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/qah9ob/

Reply

Rebecca Miles
09:30 Nov 18, 2022

Thanks! I'll wander over this weekend.

Reply

Graham Kinross
12:48 Nov 18, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Story Time
17:11 Nov 08, 2022

“January’s dead, I light you the way; flame in the darkness, keep chaos at bay.” I love how careful you are when it comes to creating an environment for characters to be challenged in. I found myself highlighting different parts of the story and then I stopped and just read to enjoy it. Well done.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
14:19 Nov 09, 2022

Your enjoyment means everything. Beautiful words are nothing if the story and characters don't grip. I'm off to read yours.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
14:50 Nov 06, 2022

What a world you've created: it's dark and somber and wonderfully mystical. The ending was very satisfying and well executed--a lifting of the veil in a way that doesn't take diminish the boys emotion, his hard work, and his dedication to his responsibilities. The entire story was written just beautifully, and I admire the eloquent style you bring to all your writing, but these lines where you personify nature are my favorites: "There is no time to worry as the wind seems to have been waiting for his departure to fill its cheeks and blow." "...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Suma Jayachandar
13:06 Nov 05, 2022

Congratulations! I am glad this got the recognition it deserved.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lindsay Flo
18:57 Nov 04, 2022

What a beautifully written story and a powerful message. Congrats on the shortlist!

Reply

Show 0 replies
AnneMarie Miles
18:43 Nov 04, 2022

Woohoo!!! 🎉 Congratulations sister!! Two Miles on the board...I'll be toasting to us both tonight, cheers! 🥂

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:52 Nov 04, 2022

I know; we went the distance this week my dear! Pop the corks and let's hope for a future double act🎉😍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
17:37 Nov 04, 2022

Both Miles hit board. Cool.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:21 Nov 04, 2022

😂thanks Tommy; the double act!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Miles
18:55 Nov 04, 2022

And well done on a double shortlist: applaud your productivity 🤗

Reply

Tommy Goround
04:00 Nov 11, 2022

Thank you, kindly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Tamarin Butcher
14:30 Nov 03, 2022

Wow, this is really good! Very visual! I was completely immersed in the story, and I thoroughly enjoyed the way you introduced terror and then hope and revelation so seamlessly. Thank you so much for sharing!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
16:54 Nov 03, 2022

Pleasure. Glad you enjoyed it Tamarin.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KarLynn Erickson
17:54 Nov 02, 2022

What a great story. Very strong writing. It kept me going all the way to the end.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
22:58 Nov 02, 2022

Thanks so much for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rama Shaar
04:02 Nov 01, 2022

Great story, Rebecca! I enjoyed the description of the mighty storm because I've always loved storms and you described it so well, along with the storm ranging inside of the boy! Well done!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:31 Nov 01, 2022

We get a lot of them here in Germany don't we. Hopefully none at Lake Garda 😉Thanks for reading dear, and the praise; it was good to reach for a couple of different genres this week. Hugs.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrea Doig
15:22 Oct 29, 2022

Hello Rebecca… thank you for sharing this story - it was a good ride … and read :). Loved the flow and your style, and the story was enjoyable and kept me interested to find out more. Some lovely lines too. Well done x

Reply

Rebecca Miles
16:12 Oct 30, 2022

Hi Andrea, thanks for reading and commenting. This was a fun ride indeed, I think we've all been on the literary ghost train this week😂

Reply

Andrea Doig
08:20 Nov 11, 2022

Oh gosh!!! Well done on the shortlisting! Whoop whoop! Well deserved - I really enjoyed it as I said. Worthily shortlisted :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
21:36 Nov 13, 2022

Thanks ever so much Andrea, it was great to try something a bit different and have an excuse for some fun rhymes. It's bedtime here in Germany but I'll head over to read your submission tomorrow.

Reply

Andrea Doig
06:43 Nov 14, 2022

Oooh thanks I will appreciate that. I have never been shortlisted for anything so far ... I will not give up trying ;) I have to say, I do write for myself though ... they are up my alley and I am my favourite reader haha. I am in Durban, South Africa btw. x

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
AnneMarie Miles
13:23 Oct 29, 2022

Hello my Miles dear! You said you had zilch for this prompt, but I am amazed at what you came up with! A fantastical little suspense story, and I was amazed at the details and concept of the whole thing. A Keeper of Flames feels quite epic, and it goes without saying that your first night on the job must involve a hefty storm! I think my favorite part of this is the little rhyming ritual hymns. I thought, that must have been fun to come up with! This is quite different than the last few stories you've submitted here; it was really lovely to ...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
20:35 Oct 29, 2022

Miles to Miles! I had zilch till Tuesday evening but luckily with the nights drawing in, I lit some candles and the flicker of an idea came while I was lolling on the sofa😂You're spot on: I had great fun with the ritualistic chants; I'm a sucker for a bit of rhyme. You're also right that this is a first for me, on Reedsy at least; I decided to write out of my comfort zone this week and try a new genre. I must say, it was a blast. I've half an hour so I'm heading off to your page. I've really enjoyed your last two so my hopes are as high as t...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
21:09 Oct 29, 2022

Oooh I like the idea of lighting candles for inspiration.. I will try this! It's very fun to pop in and out of that comfort zone, especially when you realize you can do it, which I hope you felt after this one. It's quite enjoyable! Any ideas for this week? Love that last prompt - write by the seat of your pants - since that is usually my M.O.!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
21:18 Oct 29, 2022

I'll be cheering you on for this week's prompts as I'm on holiday in England visiting my folks so lots of scrabble and trips to London with no scribbling time! I'm a big fan of seat of the pants writing too, love letting a story just take hold.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
21:26 Oct 29, 2022

Enjoy your holiday!! Hope you come back relaxed and fully inspired! ✨

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
13:27 Oct 28, 2022

This is a fine story, Rebecca. And, I might add, well-written. Description and exposition are often difficult to pull off, but you did it; that's the mark of a good writer. I felt an almost Biblical undertone in the story, and it certainly had the feel of hallowed ground and sacred rites. Really nice!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
16:00 Oct 28, 2022

Hi Delbert, thanks for stopping by. I was thinking more pagan with this one given it's Halloween, but yes, rituals are important. Happy spooky season; I'm sure they'll be lots of great goosebump ones this week 👻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelly Johnson
20:50 Oct 27, 2022

Hi😊 I really enjoyed reading this story! I was picturing LOTR mixed with Harry Potter elements😃 So cool! The only critique I would give would be about one sentence: "I quicken my step along the graveyard’s overgrown path, reaching the arch of the tower as the lightning illuminates the old oak door and my small hand grasping the globe of the doorknob, worn to a warm bronze by centuries of hands." ..I had to read it several times for it to make sense to me (but maybe that's just me, since I'm no expert!!) Anyhow, I overall love it!! ❤️

Reply

Rebecca Miles
21:02 Oct 27, 2022

Thanks Kelly; I'm still editing so I'll take a look. I fancied a bit of fantasy this week, but this one seems to have gone a bit philosophical as mine tend to! Hope you're having fun writing yours! (Or are you done?)

Reply

Kelly Johnson
00:45 Oct 28, 2022

I've decided to be done with mine now.. lol Too much editing, and still not sure if I got it right! But I did try! 😏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.