T'was Three Nights

Submitted into Contest #231 in response to: Write a story in the form of a list of New Year's resolutions.... view prompt

17 comments

Fiction Funny Holiday

T’was three nights before New Years, and I decided it’s time to write my resolutions and this year make them rhyme. Is there a task so fulfilling, as that of resolve? The future’s so thrilling, my list I’ll evolve. Searching my mind, and the depths of my soul, to change for the better, this time, I know. The instantaneous edification washes over me, as I prepare to become self-aware, leaving behind 2023. I feel so empowered, so fresh and renewed, as I pen all my promises of goals to pursue. 

First, I will promise myself to take much better care. Trade my wine for more water, hydrating my skin and my hair. Who wants to look older? Certainly not me. A simple change in routine, and healthy I’ll be. I’ll make myself smoothies with protein and greens, my body will thank me by not making me scream. I’ll go through each cabinet purging the mire and muck, to help me be healthy with a little luck. Sorry about your Oreos guys, you don’t need the sugar, it’s bad for my thighs. 

Second in line is my attitude daily; I will forgive and forget and treat others fairly. A strategically placed smile, and a few kind words, will all be worthwhile when negativity is purged. I won’t be compelled to argue my side, and in every debate, I will swallow my pride. I’ll adhere to the principle that less is indeed more, and not feel compelled to even the score. Don’t ask me if everything is ok, I’m intentionally quiet, it’s better this way. 

Third on my list of things to achieve, is to finally become famous, now this I believe. No more excuses for slacking, my writing will no longer be lacking. I’m not an imposter, I can hang with the best, my talent I’ll foster, and be recognized like the rest. I promise to stop throwing things when rejection comes to be, I’ll handle the word “sorry” with class and dignity.

Fourth would be finally fitting into those jeans. I’ll chase away twenty, by any necessary means. Those pesky pounds plaguing my middle-aged bottom, I will conquer and vanquish, although everyone’s got ‘em. I will move my body off the damn chair, bending and stretching in the name of health care. Maybe some yoga, or Pilates will do, to strengthen my back, and my hips and knees too. If you find me sprawled out, and writhing on the floor, I may just need a helping hand, keep your laughter down to a dull roar. 

Number five on my list is to be more present. Stop hiding away from a world I resent. My voice, it does matter, and my thoughts, quite enlightened. I vow to speak out, and no longer be frightened. In this world of unrest, I’ve become so complacent, waiting my turn, and losing my patience. If you’d rather not be in my company, it’ll be up to you to leave the room, I’m ready to be seen. 

If that isn’t enough, I’ll declare number six to be an expansion of my own business, throwing new ideas into the mix. Be more innovative, and step far from the zone, for comfort will not bring great wealth or my dream home. I’ll only fail if I do nothing at all, but with little to lose, and not far to fall. So let me throw it all up against the wall. I can predict, something’s bound to stick, if you believe in me at all. However, if my ideas elude you, get out of my way and let me play through.

Seven is for solutions where problems once were. Take action not refuge when complications occur. Worry is wasted time not recovered; energy used best is when we discover. Anxiety and stress causing rifts in relationships, when the focus should be on flipping the scripts. Nor offense or defense bring about resolution, effective communication will be my contribution. Expecting an argument? You won’t find one here, not at least any time this year. 

Be charitable and give of my time and my earnings to those most deprived. Generosity, and philanthropy is how number eight has been derived. It is always rewarding to give, rather than get. I will reach personal enlightenment and have no regrets. There are so many ways to help those in need, no room for selfishness, no need for greed. I was thinking just the other day, I’m glad there’s still time. because I’m certain I threw those donation envelopes away.

Ninth on my list of how to live best, is to quit smoking, now that’s a real test. Bad habits are good when left in the past, should I go cold turkey, or do this half-assed? It’s been so many years, it’ll be like losing an old friend, but on this poisonous crutch I can no longer depend. I’ll likely experience some major withdrawal and get kind of bitchy and want to brawl. If by chance, it happens to you, remind me of this list’s number two. 

Well, now it seems that we have reached my coveted list’s end. I think I’ll declare gratitude, my last but not least number ten. As I consider my blessings, rather than lack, I’ll Thank the Good Lord for having my back. My home could be better, but for now I am warm; a roof to shelter me from any storm. My table is full, and my heart is as well, and with room for improvements, it will continue to swell. I must admit, I am rather pleased with this year's list of things to achieve. 

I’ll start this new year feeling I can accomplish anything, I made my list, you get the gist, it’s so inspiring! I’m ready and willing as I’ll ever be, this new year will surely bring about a perfectly brand new me. 

But first I think I’ll go outside and light a cigarette, pour myself a glass of wine and sit out on my deck. Someone really should confiscate my phone, for the more I drink, the more belligerent I’ll become. Easily tempted to tweet or text my unsolicited banter, can I really be the only one who appreciates my candor? Maybe in a little while, I’ll indulge in the last piece of pie, then go online and take some time to buy what catches my eye. It fills a void, so don’t get annoyed as I engage in my old selfish ways. The truth is clear, it’s not yet the new year, I still have a few more days!

December 29, 2023 21:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Nancy Dalle
23:09 Jan 10, 2024

I liked the concept of rhyming the entire story. I also liked the ending “it’s not yet the New Year”, so you can still do the Old habits.

Reply

Myranda Marie
23:12 Jan 10, 2024

Thank you so much for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
08:38 Jan 10, 2024

Love it, the endings classic. Yeah still have a few days yet!

Reply

Myranda Marie
17:23 Jan 10, 2024

Thank you for reading! The prompt asked for a story in the form of a list, so I wanted some sort of satisfaction at the end. This one was fun for sure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:26 Jan 09, 2024

"New from Myranda", I thought happily, But hold on a second, I've read already! It doesn't much matter, it was very good, T'will be enjoyed again, like a fun story should! :)

Reply

Randi Dalfonzo
22:45 Jan 09, 2024

I moved it ! Seemed a better fit for this week. However....it did delete our conversation from the first posting..haha.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:39 Jan 08, 2024

Hah, lovely :) The rhyme is a fun challenge and livens up the list, and we still get a punchline at the end :) And it also still carries a good voice. Best of luck with this one!

Reply

Myranda Marie
22:28 Jan 08, 2024

Thanks so much for reading. A poet, I am not, but it was fun trying. Sometimes you just have to cut loose and write for the love of it. I appreciate your kind words!

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:05 Jan 08, 2024

Definitely! There's got to be joy in writing :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jody S
17:14 Jan 06, 2024

Nice take on the prompt and I love the rhyme! Getting old is rough and my old eyes and found it hard to enjoy the rhymes because of the dense spacing. Listening to it out loud helped! Here's to a beautiful 2024 and getting everything you set your resolve for!

Reply

Myranda Marie
18:14 Jan 06, 2024

Thank you so much for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire Trbovic
14:37 Jan 06, 2024

Had me smiling all the way through that much is true, the winners circle must be for you, go and take a pew! Great read on a long drive in which my husband is preaching the benefits of gut health… whilst I eat a breakfast sandwich from Starbucks

Reply

Myranda Marie
18:16 Jan 06, 2024

Oh no, not a lecture on gut health??????????....they're the worst! However, reading your comment gave me a chuckle this morning, so thanks for that and thank you for your kind words!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
02:59 Jan 01, 2024

I’ve read your stuff, and I have to admit Your message is right and poetry grand. All the judges are saying, “Holy shit! Here’s your two-fifty, now hold out your hand.”

Reply

Myranda Marie
03:07 Jan 01, 2024

Your words are too kind, and your confidence is strong. Damn, I sure hope your prediction's not wrong! Thank you so much for reading my story, the two-fifty would be great, but I'll take the accolades and glory!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
04:19 Dec 30, 2023

Thought I had read this before but you're right. It is befitting for this prompt alright.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Myranda Marie
22:21 Dec 29, 2023

For those who read this when submitted for this week's prompts, I'm sorry, I had to move it. It is much more befitting to the new prompt. Sorry if it's confusing!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.