188 comments

Romance Teens & Young Adult

Theo slowly folded the blanket over, uncovering Sophie’s disgruntled expression with her brows slightly furrowed together. Strands of hair stuck to her sweating face, she breathed through her mouth heavily, her chest heaving up and down.


With the small portion of moonlight that seeped through window curtains, illuminating Sophie’s face, Theo could make out her frantic eyes moving behind closed eyelids.


He gently placed his hand over her moistened forehead, recoiling it back almost immediately the moment their skin made contact.


“Shit, you’re burning up again.”


He gently tried to scoop her up in a better position, seeing how uncomfortable she was curled up into a ball, latching onto a pillow, with the towel on her forehead leaving a wet spot on the same pillow she was clutching.


Her constant squirming the past hour did not go unnoticed by him, he made sure to check up on her every few minutes, regularly taking her temperature and changing the wet towel folded over her forehead.


He tried to wake her up, only to receive incoherent noises coming from her.


“The beds, we need twelve beds,” She mumbled lowly but seeing how inaudibly she had said it made Theo second-guess what he had heard.


“We’ll buy them tomorrow,” He coaxed her, pulling her up into a seating position.


“No, we need them now,” She pulled herself up drowsily, holding Theo’s arm to support herself, and leaning her head against the headboard, her eyes still half-closed.


He gently stroked her hair, successfully calming her down as he continued to pour sweet words into her ear. “It’s fine, it’s just a feverish dream, Fifi.”


A loud, scratching sound resounded throughout the silent room as Theo dragged the basin filled with water from the bedside table.


Weirdly enough, the scratching sound meshed perfectly with the sounds of droplets from what Sophie could only make out as Theo squeezing a towel into the basin, she slowly blinked herself back into sleep accompanied with the calming sounds, echoing endlessly on her mind.


She could feel herself succumbing into a peaceful sleep, no feverish thoughts over how many pillows and beds would fill their room, when suddenly, like a flicker of a light bulb switching on, her skin made in contact with an unimaginably, piercing cold.

She jumped from her place, pulling herself out of what could have been a dreamless sleep. She recoiled her arm that made in contact with the freezing towel Theo held in his hands.


“It’s alright, it’s just me,” He whispered calmly, returning to what he was previously doing, and smothering her with that damned towel, sending goosebumps down her arms.


He continued to wipe her fevered skin, despite numerous whines and cries from her.


“Theo, I feel fine. Just stop, it’s cold,” She said in a raspy voice as courtesy from all the persistent coughing that had had her exhausted all day.


“You’re not fine, you can barely talk,” He frowned. “And I told you not to put the blankets over your head.”


“It was cold.”


He grabbed the thermometer beside him and pushed it into her mouth, not even waiting more than a minute when it dinged loudly.


“One-Oh-Four, Eighteen. I feel fine, my ass,” He dipped the towel back into the freezing water, wiping her body, starting with her face, then her neck, and chest.


She looked at his focused impression, how gentle and kind he was being with her. With a flat look, Sophie didn’t want him getting ideas. “Hey Theo, remember that time-”


He groaned, irritated as if he’d encountered that start of the sentence one too many times. “Yes, I remember that time when I didn’t finish our school project that happened over seven years ago.” He said dryly, slightly narrowing his eyes, resembling somewhat of a glare.


“Good. Even though you’re being nice to me, I still don’t forgive you for that,”


“Just so you know,” She added with a smile.


“I tried to pay you for that,” He grumbled.


“You were seven years late. All you had to do was assemble a toy car, how hard could it be?” She huffed a breath. “And that way you wouldn’t have needed to pay.”


She plopped the wet towel over her face, pressing it to her face with her hands as it slowly grew warm. She knitted her eyebrows together at the sudden loss of Theo’s touch. “Why’d you stop?”


She kept her face under the wet towel, flipping it over to take advantage of the other side’s coolth. Her body slowly grew warm and uncomfortable.


“The water’s warm, I’ll get cold water,”


“No,” She lengthened the words out, wiping her sweat-infused face with the towel.


He sighed, “Do you want me to get you an Advil?”


“Yes please,” She barely uttered out, suddenly feeling drowsy.


She held her arms out inaudibly telling him to carry her. He does so and lifts her up without a hassle.


They headed for the kitchen, with Sophie carrying the basin over her and leaning her head on his chest.


“Were still not done talking about my toy car.” She mumbled quietly.


“I think we are,” He said, trying to dodge another argument about that stupid toy car.


“I want one on our wedding. I won’t marry you without one,” She blinked innocently up at him.


He sighed, “I don’t get why you’re still not over this. I tried to pay you.”


“You paid me seven years late! My dad berated me every day to get you to pay your part of the project.”


“I am this close to letting go of you right now if you talk about that damned car one more time, my arms are the only ones keeping you from falling,” He loosened his hold on me, making me tighten my hold on his neck.


“You won’t do that,” I snuggled closer to him, brushing my cheek across his chest.


“You love me too much.”


“I mean how can you not?” She said haughtily, “I’m basically the sugar, the spice, and everything nice that’s happened in your life.”


“You got spice right,” He narrowed his eyes at her, “You were a little shit.”


She giggled as a memory of a young, red, and crying Theo resurfaced. She remembered that day vividly, she had tricked Theo into eating a chili pepper, as long as she ate one as well, except she faked eating it leading to horrifying puddles of Theo’s vomit.


“You were the little shit,” She giggled more, “I was taller than you were.”


“I really hate you sometimes,” He had a frown imminent on his face, but Sophie smiled and shook her head. She placed herself in between the crook of his neck, her breathing making the little hairs on his nape stand up. “Still better than hating me all the time.”


“But you still love me, right?” He asked her worriedly.


“Mhm,” She buried her nose in his hair, resulting in more goosebumps coming from him as her hot skin came in contact with his.


“You’re turning hot.”


She didn’t respond and laid quietly in his arms, eyes closed, taking comfort from the sounds of his footsteps creaking against the hardwood floor. Unexpectedly, he comes into an abrupt halt, followed by a switch clicking. She groaned at the sudden brightness overtaking her senses, her eyes blinked furiously before getting used to the light and opening her eyes.


He set her down on a chair, opening several cabinets looking for an Advil, whilst he waits for the basin to fill. She gaped at Theo, amazed with how patient and gentle he was with her. His shirt was wet with several spots fully clinging to his skin, his shorts slowly slipping from his hips, and his eyes were filled with dark bags underneath from staying up taking care of Sophie.


He peeled a banana, placing it in a plate and cutting it into seven equal pieces, before embedding an Advil into one of them. He threw the towel into the basin and carried the plate with one hand and the basin on his left.


He placed the plate in front of her, squeezing again into the towel he held for her forehead to cool down. Sophie was slack jawed, the man she was staring at before her, was nothing like the boy she’d met years ago.


She couldn’t believe that this was the same guy that used to steal her food, rummage through her bags, and talk so loud that she could’ve sworn her eardrums had burst.


You would think that Sophie’s cousins or relatives would be the last people she would ever wed with. But no, she couldn’t believe that this man before her was the same man she vowed to never love, let alone speak with.


“Stop staring,” He told her as he wiped her face with the glacial towel he held, but she couldn’t care less, all she felt were Theo’s warm fingers grasping her cheeks.


She gave him a sweet, saccharine smile and kissed his jaw.


He grumbled, not looking pleased. “I told you not to get yourself sick.”


She smiled at him with one thought lingering on her mind; ‘I was definitely sickly in love’.

December 15, 2020 07:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

188 comments

Sapphire 🌼
21:14 Jan 18, 2021

I just got rick-rolled for the second time today.

Reply

Danny -
23:27 Jan 18, 2021

Haha I'm sorryyyyyy, who was the first?

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
00:06 Jan 19, 2021

My teacher. I'm not lying, he said, "Check out these puppies!" and sent me a link and BOOM Rick Astley.

Reply

Danny -
00:23 Jan 19, 2021

That's sooo weird, or maybe I'm just used to grumpy teachers

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
15:50 Jan 19, 2021

XDD probably yeah

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ben To
22:53 Jan 14, 2021

Nice descriptions, made the story very immersive! Really enjoyed it!

Reply

Danny -
22:53 Jan 14, 2021

Thank youuu :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Boba Bendy
14:57 Jan 12, 2021

I like how she's just suffering from this awful fever and bringing up all these things and the guys just like, "I will drop you if you mention those things again." I was smiling through the whole story. Well done!

Reply

Danny -
22:56 Jan 12, 2021

HAHAHAHAHA THANK YOUUUUU, GLAD MY STORY COULD MAKE YOU SMILEEE

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
13:04 Jan 12, 2021

WOAH! you have described sooo well. i really loved it. <3

Reply

Danny -
13:05 Jan 12, 2021

Thank youuuu :))))

Reply

Amel Parvez
13:53 Jan 12, 2021

you are welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:02 Sep 02, 2022

Your story was really good I didn't really notice the switch, but that's probably because I'm in 6th grade and don't notice those things.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yoshitha Battula
18:15 Apr 18, 2022

A REALLY GOOD STORY! The descriptions and narrations were nice :)

Reply

Danny -
13:06 Apr 19, 2022

Thanks! Glad you liked it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pepe <3
14:47 Nov 16, 2021

This is the best story I have ever read! And i have read a lot of stories!!! I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! You have a true talent!

Reply

Show 0 replies
07:41 Nov 12, 2021

Nice

Reply

Show 0 replies
Justin Nicolas
05:15 May 18, 2021

I really enjoyed this short story, it kept me really intrigued and entertained through my time reading it. It portrayed the relationship between Sophie and Theo really well. I also loved the creativity when it came to their relationship dynamic. It was really good, but I noticed that you went from third-person POV to first-person POV. This made it a little hard to follow throughout this section, but other than that really loved the read. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aisha Khan
13:28 Mar 17, 2021

Aww! This was a really sweet story! I loved it!

Reply

Danny -
13:35 Mar 17, 2021

Thank you so much! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:37 Mar 05, 2021

Is this your first story?, like it doesn't seem so. And that means it was awesome! And you skyrocketed the classical 'show, don't tell' thingy. But I guess there was LiTtLe head jumping at first. And at last, the thoughts of a character would not be in past tense even if the narration is, like 'I was in love' means she is no longer in love, which is a bit weird, but this is my opinion and I am a really stupid person, soooo, just check it out yourself But anyway it was awesome! Happy today!

Reply

Danny -
06:23 Mar 05, 2021

Yeah, it was :b Thanks, yeah.. I'll keep it in mind next time :) Oohhh happy today to you too! :D

Reply

06:40 Mar 05, 2021

=) Wishing everyone I meet a happy today is the three year old everyday tradition I made up. XD writing anything for the current prompts?

Reply

Danny -
06:43 Mar 05, 2021

Ohh, it's a very good tradition :)) No, not really, are you? :D

Reply

06:48 Mar 05, 2021

XD not really, like, waiting for a wave of imagination to hit me, and it always does, in the LAST POSSIBLE MOMENT! XD and that's how i start my stories, how do you find an idea for your stories?

Reply

Danny -
06:50 Mar 05, 2021

Ohhhh any waves of imagination hitting you right now? XD Oh mostly they're from weird dreams or weird late-night thoughts.. What kind of prompts are you hoping for?? Lol I'm curious as to what the new prompts will be about :b

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Love your story! I saw that you were the first (and so far only, hint hint wink wink 😉) person to like my first story "Roses and Jewels" on Reedsy, so I decided to check out some of your content and I'm glad I did! I love the way you describe the characters, the way that they love each other, it's just so amazing! I also noticed that you chance pov's a bit, and I was just thinking 'so I'm not the only one' XD. It's such a struggle for me lol. Well congrats you gained a follower!

Reply

Danny -
06:02 Feb 26, 2021

Thank you! :)) Ohh, no problem, it was a great story! :D Lol I'm sorrryyyyy, im not the most observant person, I must've switched POVs in between breaks XD Thank you so much, you have too! :D

Reply

Danny -
13:33 Feb 26, 2021

Yassssssss XD you too! :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Courtney C
04:50 Feb 13, 2021

What a beautifully written romance! The emotion and warmth really cut past that "honeymoon phase" and get straight into the everyday rhythm of real, genuine feelings. This was a great read

Reply

Danny -
13:25 Feb 13, 2021

Thank you so much, I'm glad you liked it :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
09:38 Feb 06, 2021

**faints** OK BUT EVERYONE KNOWS I RLLY RLLY RLLY LIKE ROMANCE SO THIS- [“You got spice right,” He narrowed his eyes at her, “You were a little shit.”] Favourite part, hands down. **clears throat** Ok, hi, Danny. This was an AMAZING piece, and I really enjoyed the story; the title and ending matched the text super well. Thank u for the follow too btw, and I love ur lil sunflower theme, I like sunflowers too :) 🌻

Reply

Danny -
09:48 Feb 06, 2021

Ooohhh yesss......I love romance too! Thank you :DDD omigoshh can we be friends? we can both gush about romance stories for days... My friends are probably getting tired of me for it XDD I'm planning on writing another romance soon... Any story ideas for the new prompts?? :DD

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
09:49 Feb 06, 2021

YES ROMANCE LOVER PALS I'M HERE FOR IT!!! And hmm... perhaps, though, I have to do a ton of research for it ;) wbu?

Reply

Danny -
09:59 Feb 06, 2021

YESSSSS!!!! ROMANCE FOR LIFE :)) oh yeah definitely...I feel like most stories for the prompt need tons of research :b i have a weird story idea...I hope I finish it tomorrow :))

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
10:01 Feb 06, 2021

Mine's set from oh so long ago, and unfortunately, I'm not the best at History sooooo yes, research. I hope u finish ur story idea too! I'm excited to read it! :D

Reply

Danny -
10:06 Feb 06, 2021

I'm not either :(( I'm excited to read yours as well!!!!! Tell me when you do post it :)) (unless I probably refresh your page over and over again until a new story magically pops up) :DD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lia Nina
22:43 Jan 25, 2021

I adore the last line. What a cute story!

Reply

Danny -
23:31 Jan 25, 2021

Thank you :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:30 Jan 25, 2021

Hi! I LOVE your story! I read your Bio and I was wondering if you could check out some of my stories?

Reply

Danny -
23:45 Jan 25, 2021

Thankss...and also yeahh, you made the maze runner fanfics right? I was skimming through accounts yesterday lol....sure, I will :)

Reply

15:06 Jan 26, 2021

Thanks! I am also writing a Ninjago fanfic right now!

Reply

Danny -
23:15 Jan 26, 2021

Ohhh I haven't watched those...I think..I'm sure they're great! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shae Greyfeather
12:48 Jan 22, 2021

I thought that I had written a comment but it turns out I didn't. Anyway, great story!

Reply

Danny -
14:29 Jan 22, 2021

Lol it's gets annoying when that happens, thank you :DD I read your stories as well, they're great! .......And I may or may not have saved one of them into my library to read for later :)

Reply

Shae Greyfeather
22:13 Jan 22, 2021

😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Katie May
19:17 Jan 20, 2021

I. am. In. LOVE! This is amazing! I love this story!!! Also, I love your new name! It sticks out, just like your stories!!! Good job!!! <3333

Reply

Danny -
22:35 Jan 20, 2021

Thank youuuu <33 :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
00:39 Jan 16, 2021

Hello! How are you?? (I'm really bored and I wanna talk with a human being lol)

Reply

Danny -
00:42 Jan 16, 2021

Hellooo, I'm great! Hbu

Reply

Kate Reynolds
00:44 Jan 16, 2021

I'm good as well! Just a little bored

Reply

Danny -
00:46 Jan 16, 2021

Ohh, lol same, what do you think about the new prompts?

Reply

Kate Reynolds
00:48 Jan 16, 2021

They're nice, but I'm not sure how to write a Part 2 of my fantasy story based on them... I do have a few ideas, though!! Wbu?

Reply

Danny -
00:51 Jan 16, 2021

Ohh I can only think of a story for one of the prompts, we haven't really had snow before

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Thought I would check out your first story, and oh wow. Amazing job.

Reply

Danny -
23:37 Feb 04, 2021

Thank youuu <3 :))))

Reply

Your welcome!

Reply

Danny -
23:16 Feb 05, 2021

:DDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.