Assassinator wins. Or does he...... Part 1

Submitted into Contest #105 in response to: Write a story from the point of view of three different characters.... view prompt

6 comments

Adventure Thriller Crime

I shouted out loudly for my father, only to hear a blank scream. Then silence. What was going on? I had to know! Fighting my tears, I strutted forward. Behind the walls, was a large shadow. Could it be The Assassinator? The Assassinator was said to be the person behind those killings in the neighborhood recently. It all stayed hidden until my mother dialed 911 saying that our neighbor was murdered, only to call attention for the Police the finally send people down The Assassinator. It did serve its purpose. But it called way more attention, way more than expected. 

*

I took the knife out of the bloodied body. How dare this old woman call 911, for something I did not do. I do not deny that I have killed many others just for fun, the one really deserved it. Now to kill everyone here, so that those who did see me will not live to tell the tale. 

*

I walked closer and closer to the shadow. There was a tiny sliver of light, so small that it would barely fit on the tip of my pinkie finger. I walked round the bend, still remembering the blank scream, and the times before The Assassinator came about. How I could still go to elementary school and my parents would drop me there together. Oh, the times. Lost in thought, I neither knew where I was going or what was in my path. Or that there was a small, unsuspecting toy car which I was playing with right below my foot. 

*

I heard a loud crash. I thought there was no one left here? How could there be more people? Running down the hallway with a drop of perspiration drip down my forehead, I attempted to trace the sound, only to feel a soft thing push into my belly. I glanced down. 

*

My throat suddenly became parched dry. I glanced up. There it was, the eyes of a total stranger. Not my father. The man looked tall and dominating. I glanced at his right hand. There was a same sliver of light. It took me less than a second that it was the reflection of a knife! I let out a nervous chuckle. It was too dark to completely see who it was, but I was sure it was The Assassinator. 

*

I grabbed what seemed to be the collar of the person. I could feel the struggle of the person, but that did not deter me. Occasionally there were a few blows, but it was surprisingly easy to control it this time. “Well, what do we have here?” I sneered as I pulled my next victim to me. That was when a sharp bite hit my hand. It was a child, that was sure. Only they are naïve enough to do something like biting. 

*

I heard a sharp cry of pain, but the hand kept on me was still as sturdy as ever. I closed my eyes and pictured the knife coming for me. But instead of the swoosh, there was a sound of a door opening. It was our front door! Hurray! The Police arrived! 

*

Urgh! Those people! I cursed under my breath. I took out my handkerchief and gagged up the boy and tied him to a chair with some rope. I had to go out now.

*

I charged in straight through the front door. How long more was this new volunteer going to take? I am his supervisor and I need to know what is going on. Just then, I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. It was the new volunteer, whose name was Rotanissassa Eht. I was more than ready to scold him now. 

*

I saw that The Assassinator was finally gone and decided to hide before he came back. I untied the rope using the hack I learnt from my survival skills camp and chose a small dark corner and crouched under my study table, before using my chair to block myself. “Think of it as a game of hide and seek.” I heard a voice in the room, making me jump out of my skin. I was sure it was Father, but this time I asked him for the lullaby he sang to me when I was young. He repeated the exact same thing, and I was sure to go tap-dancing. It was my father! I had found him!

*

“Now you! Come here now!” I shouted loudly at the new volunteer. He came strutting to me. “You don’t need to tell me your results. It’s a big no! How would you even expect to find anyone in this darkness!” I chided loudly, before flicking the light switch. He looked ashamed as he bowed his head down. “Now, let’s go and investigate together.” I walked forward, but he jumped in front of me. “Hey! What are you doing now!” He did not respond but kept smiling.

“Oh, come on. Spill it! You should have seen the blood on your hands and face. Not only that, we also have survivors of your attack, and boy, your name is literally The Assassinator spelled backwards!" I moved aside revealing the boy he had been attempting to kill and his father. I could tell from his eyes, the look of hatred that he was angry. He took out a knife and pressed it against my neck. That was when my world when black. 

*

“Run!” I could hear Father shouting loudly beside me. I looked just to see he was there. “And don’t ever turn back!” He added. I did not know where we were running, but I just kept on continuing. For a while, I thought we were running in circles, then squares, then triangles, with The Assassinator still hot on our heels. For a moment I thought we were just randomly running like a headless chicken with no particular direction. It was a while before I had finally saw the front door. I huffed and puffed with my father, knowing that even if we got out, The Assassinator would still be after us. Gee, how I wish my legs were a door hinge, so that it could at least be oiled. During the moment when I least expected it, I saw the front door creak open. A bunch of other Police Officers jumped out and knocked both the knife and his grin of satisfaction away. 

“Well, well, well. You thought you could play with the Police Force? You must have played with the wrong people. And to give that a finishing touch, you’re under arrest!”

August 03, 2021 07:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Retee Satish
16:59 Aug 11, 2021

This was a fantastic story! I hope to see more soon!

Reply

Ayush Kakar
02:41 Aug 12, 2021

OMG thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ayush Kakar
07:53 Aug 03, 2021

This is my first story so please just like and show your support! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ayush Kakar
07:14 Aug 25, 2021

The sequel is out!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ayush Kakar
14:33 Aug 12, 2021

Dear all, I am so motivated by your sweet coments! God bless you! I will certainly have more posts, so don't worry! Ayush

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ayush Kakar
07:44 Aug 03, 2021

This is my first story so please just like and show your support! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.