53 comments

Western American Fantasy

The mule died and John Barris was alone. He tugged the rope. The beast didn’t stir from the baked dirt. It might have been sleeping if not for the silence. No more broken wheeze, no more ragged clop, no more irritated snap of the teeth. All John heard now was the wind whispering promises of another day in hell.

He dropped the rope, stretched, and then got to rummaging through the animal’s bags.

It wasn’t his mule. It was his by rights but he didn’t own it. But he was owed it. He was owed much, oh so much, but the men in this country were all cheats and liars and thieves. The women too.

The food, he took. The clothes, he left behind. Maybe he’d be back for them one day. He bundled them around the silverware. Figured he should bury them but the mere idea was tiring and he had no shovel. He left his pot but he took the small pan, and of course, he took the water skin. Lighter than expected.

And the rifle, he pondered. He looked back the way he’d come, back to the hole he’d called home for too many years. A place he’d left for good four nights ago. He couldn’t see it, of course. The dead brown dirt stretched farther than his sight, blending into the grey haze of the sky. Nothing broke the monotony except the odd jagged rock or withered plant. He’d even lost the mountains somewhere along the way.

But he knew they were coming.

Even though he couldn’t see them, he knew they were coming. Marcel Whitmore would see to that. He didn’t hide his hatred for John, and when a bandit like Marcel became the sheriff, well, that told you all you needed to know about the world.

John felt them coming. Felt a cold in his bones, a cold that offered no reprieve from the morning’s heat, and a cold unmoved by the blistering sun. They were watching him, he knew it. Or someone was, anyway. Only he couldn’t say who, as nothing stirred but the dust devils and even the bleary sky was void of birds.

They were coming but he couldn’t see them yet, and the rifle was dead weight. He let it drop. His revolver would do.

As it had done for Leo Abner.

John rose. He spared the mule a final glance, noting that there were already flies. Of course, when there was nothing else, you could always count on flies. He scanned the wares he was leaving behind, then turned around and never looked back again. He marched all through the dawn as he had marched while the mule still lived, though his burden was greater now. It pulled at him, dragged him towards the earth, towards a dusty tomb. Would the flies follow him, knowing he was next?

He clutched the ancient crucifix around his neck, the bleached thing that was his last link to a mother long dead.

John’d put his share of men into the ground but he’d bet good money they all ended up buried proper. If he fell here, like the mule, like some animal, what would happen to him? Would he ever be found? Would some vile thing eat him?

He clutched his crucifix tighter. Held it so hard it threatened to break. Only let go when he realized he’d been holding his breath and had to gasp.

John drank some of his water, steadied his nerves.

Leo Abner had it coming. He got between a man and his woman, damn fool. If John hadn’t stood up for himself he might have lost Caroline altogether. And so, as these things go, John was faster on the draw and splattered Leo’s brain against the stable walls. After that it was only fair that Leo’s estate paid for his misdeeds with the silverware. That’s how justice worked – the guilty paid a penalty to the aggrieved.

But the world wasn’t just, was it? Leo was a bosom friend of Sheriff Marcel’s, and when the shooting started in earnest John barely made it out of town.

Oh yes, they were coming. He couldn’t even properly say goodbye to Caroline. Just gave her something to remember him by and a promise he’d be back. She was ragged in tears.

John looked up at the sky and reckoned the sun hadn’t moved. He felt like he’d been marching for hours and he couldn’t remember the last time he slept. He drank more water and then suddenly there was none left. He tossed the skin aside, too tired to even rouse anger.

If they were coming they needn’t worry their guns. No water meant his trip was coming to an end. He hadn’t passed any since he left town: no streams, no wells, not so much as a puddle. Even the cactuses were shrivelled and grey.

John’s throat clenched hot. He thumbed the crucifix again and his mind mumbled through half-remembered prayers. Last time he sat on a pew was when his mother dragged him out on a cold April Sunday, for his twelfth birthday. But what good was it? The Lord ignored her wasting, and she drowned in her own blood anyway.

John scanned the horizon. It was bleak all around, still bathed in the ghoul-pink of the rising sun. Cracked earth beneath him, haze in the distance, and all of it swaddled in dust.

He stopped. A grey smear of haze everywhere, except directly ahead of him: a dark spot. A smudge of charcoal, the grime under a nail.

Something. Anything. Hope.

John trudged towards it as a moth to the fire. He didn’t dare look away, didn’t even dare to blink lest it vanished. The darkness loomed and spread, and when he drew near things emerged from the shimmering. A rooftop. A fence. A town.

John’s throat cracked with the strain of a laugh. His eyes burned for want of tears. The sight renewed his strength and he doubled his pace. He found himself standing before a wooden arch, marking the gateway to town. There hung a sign: “Welcome to Limbo. Settled 1684.”

It wasn’t a big town. A couple dusty streets lined with creaking buildings of wind-stripped wood. But it had a saloon, and that meant drink.

It reminded him of the place Ben Duffy ran back home. About a dozen small, round tables, a polished bar with brass decorations, a piano. Fond memories of cards and tobacco long into the night. And there was a staircase too, almost the same spot as back at Duffy’s. John remembered the first time he’d seen Caroline come down the steps, the first time their eyes met. The first time he paid for her.

She wasn’t like the other girls. He had a real connection with Caroline. He could talk and she would listen. She cared. She wouldn’t lie to him.

He remembered the last time he paid for her too. Leo Abner confused her, and she said she didn’t want any more of John’s money. Didn’t want John. He had to remind her who she was, who she belonged with. Belonged to.

He marked her. Staked his claim on her face with his knife.

He’d forgive her in time, and it would keep her out of other men’s arms until he returned.

This new saloon was less like Duffy’s the longer John examined it. For one, Duffy was mad about polishing, but the wood in this place was parched and cracked. It was dead quiet too.

John cleared his throat, tried to stammer out a greeting. Ended up banging on the bar.

Nobody came. Maybe it was too early in the morning. Maybe they’d understand a dying man’s plight. John stepped behind the bar and helped himself.

There were dozens of mismatched bottles on display, with green and brown and clear glass, all frosted over with dust. And worse, they were all empty. Every damn one.

With an animal growl John smashed them and started digging behind the bar. More bottles, more nothing. He’d kill for a whisky but he’d settle for one of Duffy’s watered down beers. Hell, water would be fine, even from a horse’s trough.

That gave him the idea. He rushed back into the street but the trough was filled with nothing but splinters and silt. He made fists and looked around for anyone to explain or to alleviate his frustrations, but the street was as deserted as the saloon. No matter. A town had to have a well or something. But before he could take a single step to search, a noise froze him in place.

The siren whistle of a locomotive, and the billowing hiss of steam.

Could a run-down little ghost village like this really have a train? He couldn’t deny the plume of smoke in the sky. He weaved between buildings following it, until he came to the edge of town. There was a platform, and the most stunning train John had ever seen.

The locomotive had clean black wheels and a vibrant crimson coat of paint. Gold highlights decorated the siding and the smokestack, and the whole thing was impossibly clean. It reflected the brilliant light of the sun, and there was not a mote of dust or grime to be found.

Behind it sat just two cars: a hopper loaded with coal, and a sleeper, both as immaculate as the locomotive. And behind them, the end of the line.

John shambled towards the sleeper, unsure if he was dreaming, if his desiccated mind had started falling apart. The car’s door opened and out stepped a man. He wore a coat as crimson as the train, likewise embroidered with gold, and on his head perched a black top hat. It matched his severe mustache, thin and curling up at the sides.

He leaned on the railing, checked a golden timepiece.

“Marvelous,” he said. “Impeccable timing, Mr. Barris.” The locomotive hissed again.

John approached, his hand hovering near his revolver. He’d never seen this man before, but if he was one of Marcel’s, he’d pay for it.

He had a pressing question but all he could do was croak and cough.

“You sound like you could use a drink,” the man in red said. He knocked on the sleeper’s door. A woman emerged, just her face, just enough to pass along a bottle and glass.

The man dropped to the ground and approached John. He didn’t pay any mind to the revolver floundering in his direction. Instead he pulled the bottle’s cork out with his pristine white teeth, and then poured a rich golden-brown glassful.

“Finest whisky you’re like to find in these parts.” He held the glass out and smiled a smile too wide for comfort.

John held his gun for a moment longer, but then dropped both it and his nerve. He grabbed the glass and downed it in one go. It was fire burning cool. What it tasted like, he couldn’t tell, and though he knew what he needed was water he also couldn’t stop. Didn’t want to. By the time he drained the glass a fit overtook him and he coughed up half of it.

“Whisky,” the man said, pouring a second glass. “The water of life.” He tossed the bottle onto the ground, and John drank more. It burned so hard he sputtered again, and with the glass drained he dropped to his hands and knees and drank right from the bottle. The liquid fire stole his breath.

The next fit wracked his whole body and he was left wheezing on the ground, grit sticking to the half-drunk liquor covering him.

The man in red loomed. “Burns, doesn’t it? Afraid everything does, out here.”

“Water,” John finally rasped.

“No time for that, alas.” He rummaged in his coat and pulled out a yellowed piece of paper with mauve ink, read it over. “One ticket for John Barris.” He tossed it at John. “We’ve a train to catch.” Without warning he dragged John to his feet and helped steady him.

“Who are you?” John hissed.

“Think of me as an old friend.” He guided John to the sleeper, and John found himself powerless to resist. Even if he hadn’t been so tired, there was an unexpected strength in the stranger’s hands.

“Where are we going?”

“Away.” They stopped before the sleeper, and the man faced him.

“And if I don’t want to?”

Again, that too-wide smile. “It is of course your life, John. How you spend it is your choice entirely. If you don’t want to ride with us…” He indicated the vast, desolate expanse. John observed it again, how it all blurred on the horizon, and he shivered. He didn’t ever want to cross that desert again.

“So you’ll join us?”

John nodded.

“Splendid. In that case, unburden yourself of your earthly belongings. You won’t need them anymore.”

John obeyed, starting to feel the comforting warmth of the whisky settling in his gut. He dropped his bags of food, his pan, his pouch. He didn’t object when the man flipped his hat off, and then John removed his cracked old vest and even his holster. It felt good to lose the weight.

“All set, sir. Can I board now?”

The smile crinkled into the faintest sneer, and the man in red slowly put on a pair of white gloves.

“Almost,” he said. “There’s just one more thing.”

John swallowed hard. His eyes followed the man’s gloved finger as it pointed to his chest. To the crucifix.

“Sir?” John wrapped his fingers around the old cross, felt the worn leather cord around his neck. “It’s my mother’s. Surely there’s no harm…”

The man opened his palm expectantly. “You won’t be needing it where we’re going.”

John took one final look over his shoulder, at the trackless waste he’d travelled. Then he lifted the cord over his neck and deposited the relic in the man’s palm.

“Well done, John.” The man’s too-long fingers closed on the crucifix, a spider’s legs. There was a crack, a grinding, and when he opened his fist again all that remained was ash, quickly devoured by the wind.

The man in red put his hand on John’s shoulder and they boarded the sleeper. The train’s whistle blew and it lurched into motion. And they rode off into the distance, on a track to nowhere.

June 27, 2023 21:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

53 comments

KANGEE GREEN
22:16 Jul 02, 2023

"He didn’t hide his hatred for John, and when a bandit like Marcel became the sheriff, well, that told you all you needed to know about the world." This line stood out to me, because you told a lot about how John feels without directly stating anything. You did a good job of it in this story. You set the tone and gave a lot of tension. I think this is because you only revealed information when it was needed to, slowly throughout the story. The reader continues to learn something new. Good job!

Reply

Michał Przywara
18:58 Jul 03, 2023

Thanks, Kangee! That's exactly what I was hoping for :) I like that was of delivering details about the world to the reader, via a stated fact that is coloured by a character's perspective. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathryn Menefee
20:18 Jul 02, 2023

Oooh this was great. The descriptions are so crisp and evocative ("His eyes burned for want of tears"), and the doling out of backstory worked so well because the protagonist sees himself as the good guy, so of course it takes us a while to sort through his perspective realize the reality. (Especially like how haunting these lines "Just gave her something to remember him by and a promise he’d be back. She was ragged in tears" are in hindsight.) And the shift to the fantastic at the end is so subtly and wonderfully done

Reply

Michał Przywara
06:13 Jul 03, 2023

Thanks, Kathryn! I'm glad you pointed out that line, because you're totally right - he does see himself as a good guy. But we know better :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:10 Jul 02, 2023

The Desert of Styx? Another belter Michal but after reading a few of your stories I don't expect anything less. 🔥

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:40 Jul 03, 2023

Thanks, Derrick! Yes, something like that :) A bit of a mangling of mythologies, but something about the wild west lends itself to that. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
William Richards
08:13 Jul 01, 2023

Some excellent writing here. The details about the mule, about the flies. The backstory to the shoot out. The sense of danger from the criminal sheriff. Fantastic stuff. Really enjoyed it

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:20 Jul 03, 2023

Thanks, William! It was fun to write, and I'm glad the details worked out. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
06:06 Jun 30, 2023

Michal, A wonderfully descriptive passage of time and environment. It invited me right into the middle of everything. I was hot, I was parched, and I was wondering who was coming for John. I sensed the ending when the pristine train appeared, but the Devil was a nice touch. I guess his life just went "All to Hell." A ghostly, devilish Western nicely done. I'm off to pour me a whiskey, now.

Reply

Michał Przywara
17:35 Jun 30, 2023

Thanks, Chris! Glad the descriptions were notable, they were one of the aims this time around :) But yeah, poor John - alas - took some wrong turns in life. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
3i Writer
06:06 Jun 30, 2023

Well, I guess that is the end of John. At least that is a comfortable death for him.

Reply

Michał Przywara
17:09 Jul 02, 2023

Thanks! Comfortable... for now :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
05:53 Jun 29, 2023

Interesting story, I def bought into that the MC must be the hero escaping from a gang of criminals, but then its revealed he's in a hole of his own digging. That really heighted the tension a lot for me. A very melancholic ending, I'll admit I might have preferred a wild shootout and him running out of bullets or something similar to getting on the train to nowhere, but the deserted town and possibly hallucinating is probably more realistic to his sitatuation being in a vast desert and running out of supplies.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:39 Jun 29, 2023

Thanks, Scott! I was in a bit of a weird west mindset this week, but a shootout would absolutely have fit too :) If this was a longer work, I do wonder, perhaps he would actually have died in a shootout back in town, and this whole trek was just his crossing of the River Styx. But that's a different story. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
23:19 Jun 28, 2023

Michał, this is my kind of story. Not remaining on earthly hell, he meets his journey's end on earth to go off with a man (who is the devil) into the unknown at the behest of the man. The descriptions are wonderful and draw the reader in, About a dozen small, round tables, a polished bar with brass decorations, a piano. "Fond memories of cards and tobacco long into the night. And there was a staircase too, almost the same spot as back at Duffy’s. John remembered the first time he’d seen Caroline come down the steps, the first time their eye...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:38 Jun 29, 2023

Thanks, Lily! I think John just liked the easy road in life, and the man in red offered it :) Regarding the mule, I had it for two main reasons. One, I thought it made for an interesting opening (that's subjective) and two, I thought it'd be a way to show John's disregard for other life. It's there as a tool for him, something to be used and discarded, which I imagine is how he'd always conducted himself. I can appreciate that not working out though, so thanks for pointing it out. Lots of great feedback here, I'm very grateful for it :) ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
16:56 Jun 28, 2023

Hi Michal, Love the devil angle. I think I would have chosen the 'wide expanse' instead of the train; but what I REALLY love is your descriptive detail. A favorite, 'No more broken wheeze, no more ragged clop, no more irritated snap of the teeth. All John heard now was the wind whispering promises of another day in hell.' A Michalrama! A couple of typos, if I'm right: He had to remind her who she was, who she belonged with. Belong[ed] to. He weaved between buildings and ever [even] followed it, Also, I'd be honored it you'd take a loo...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:53 Jun 28, 2023

But the train is so much easier :) Thanks for pointing those spots out, Jack. I fixed them up. I had actually meant to use "ever", but it's confusing and on reflection doesn't read well. But "belong", well, what can I say. Typos always find a way. I'm glad you enjoyed the story! And I appreciate the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:44 Jun 28, 2023

Oooooooo - what a turn! We start off quite invested in John's salvation and end up understanding that he has found anything but that! And he deserves nothing less than where he's going it would seem. Great story - great setting - lots of atmosphere - I really enjoyed it. I have a few line notes but didn't notice much out of place. He clutched his crucifix tighter, with both hands. Held it so hard it threatened to break. - how is he carrying everything else if both hands are free to do this? Last time he sat [in] a pew was when his mo...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:55 Jun 28, 2023

Thanks for the great feedback, Katharine! It definitely helps and I've made corrections. I don't even know how "belong" snuck by, given it was right beside "belonged". So it goes :) Very happy the story otherwise works. Yeah, I think John was reaping what he sowed throughout his life - but of course in his mind, he was the good guy. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:32 Jun 28, 2023

I like the way you began the story in a way that made us feel empathy for John, then you slowly come to understand he’s actually quite awful. I suppose he is now on a long, dangerous journey. My favourite line -John shambled towards the sleeper, unsure if he was dreaming, if his desiccated mind had started falling apart. This image of a mind shredding into pieces is fantastic. A great story.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:58 Jun 28, 2023

We are the heroes of our own lives, aren't we? But now John is reaping what he sowed :) I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading, Michelle!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:20 Jun 28, 2023

Absolutely fascinating. The beginning committed so hard to the western style, and I was struck by how much backstory you pack in to a short space without any awkwardness or force. Then the twist is excellent and we sort of scan back through for when he died, knowing who’s he’s meeting.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:57 Jun 28, 2023

Thanks, Anne! Yes, quite a gruesome meeting, all things considered :) Glad to hear the setup worked, especially if it didn't sound forced. I used to have trouble with exposition dumps and it's something I've been consciously addressing. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:02 Jun 27, 2023

One more devilish tale. On 🔥

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:02 Jun 28, 2023

Devilish indeed :) Thanks Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
13:45 Dec 24, 2023

By the end I was wondering how much of the story had taken place in Limbo. Seems clear from the colour of the train and the uniform of the attendant where it’s going and it’s not surprising considering everything the narrator has done, even though he blames the world for it. Was he in Limbo the whole time or did he die on the run?

Reply

Michał Przywara
15:20 Dec 27, 2023

In my mind, I suspect he died somewhere near the start, and I figure maybe death is one of those disorienting things you might not immedietly recognize. There are those tropes about ghosts unaware of their condition, after all. On the other hand, going through life blaming everyone else for everything seems like a kind of hell itself. It was a fun character to write, if not a pleasant one. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Graham Kinross
16:52 Dec 27, 2023

You’re welcome Michał.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
02:32 Jul 21, 2023

Hi Michal, Oh my goodness, you created a heartbreaking tale. Your antihero was written, absolutely beautifully, and I was in chanted by your breathtaking imagery that you used to create this environment. At first, I had really hoped that this would be a bandit, love story, and as I continued to read on, I realized the darker spiritual themes that you decided to embrace for this one. Nice work!!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:37 Jul 21, 2023

Thanks Amanda! Yeah, I think John Barris looks a lot better on first impression, but gradually much worse the more you get to know him. Guess things finally caught up :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
18:38 Jul 07, 2023

Hi Michal, To paraphrase the King of Vienna in a comment he made to Mozart... "Too many dust motes. You should remove some of the motes." Just kiddin'. Great story, well, it was an okay story, but so well rendered, it became a great story. It's almost an exercise in how a story should be told. Starting with the main character in an impossible situation. Dead mule, desert, no water. Then, in manageable and interesting chunks reveal his back story. Then the town, a glimmer of hope, and finally, a test, which he fails. Your writing style ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:46 Jul 09, 2023

Thanks, Ken! "very user friendly" - as a programmer, that means a lot :) Glad to hear the story worked out! Even with all the dust :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Liam Murphy
15:23 Jul 06, 2023

Hi Michal, You have written a tale that is very intriguing and interesting. I loved the sense of hopelessness you created after the mule died and then how you gave John hope of redemption by allowing him to find the town in the empty expanses. Hopelessness, a chance of redemption and finally crushing defeat. I'm mightily impressed.

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:34 Jul 06, 2023

Thanks, Liam! It was a fun one to write. I like people that refuse to see themselves as the villains, as they easily lead to trouble and conflict in stories. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hala Giles
10:26 Jul 06, 2023

I really enjoyed reading this, Michal Favourite line "A smudge of charcoal, the grime under a nail." Sums up the gritty and evocative nature of your story telling.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:50 Jul 06, 2023

Thanks, Hala! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) I liked that line too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
02:05 Jul 05, 2023

Before there was a Highway to Hell, apparently there was a Railway to Hell. Funny that you had a 'devil in disguise' story this week too. You know what they say about great minds. In all honesty, great work here, Michał. Really did a solid job with the Western atmosphere - all that death, all that desolation, all that violence (my mind had a field day imagining Caroline's face). Lots of fun writerly things I liked here, including: The opening line. Death in sentence one is always going to catch my eye, and this was no exception. That's the ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:38 Jul 05, 2023

Great minds indeed :) Something about the west and dangerous supernatural things just meshes. Maybe it's the ever accelerating march of progress coupled with wild frontiers, and the hope of opportunity, that creates something filled with boundaries and friction. Good for conflict. No shortage of heroes and villains being pushed to their limits too. "trying to offer more constructive criticism in my comments" - and it's appreciated :) On my stories and others' stories. You'll often articulate what would otherwise remain a vague sense of "...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Russell Mickler
23:14 Jul 04, 2023

Hi Michal - Like all good westerns, everybody's got it coming in this one. I'll say one thing: I'm quite thirsty after reading. Your description of the bleak, "ghoul-pink" of the rising sun, the "grey smear of haze", "a smudge of charcoal, grime under a nail," amazing. There's even a train! Well, a train to oblivion, Hell, or something. Intentional? "He marched all through the dawn as he had marched while the mule still lived, though his burden was greater now." All around, a great story, Michal - you've got quite a range! R

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:26 Jul 05, 2023

Thanks, Russell! Yes, intentional :) I figured he's literally carrying more now, but figuratively, by using up others he ends up carrying a spiritual burden - that kind of thing. I'm glad the descriptions worked out :) Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.