A Cutting Remarque

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write about someone who purposefully causes a power outage.... view prompt

93 comments

Funny

First the phone lines, then the power cable. I repeat the mantra as I slip over the back fence onto his property. It's not as easy as the video made it look. And I practiced. But this fence is a lot taller, over five feet, and I end up having to pry a couple of boards loose to squeeze through. It's OK because he doesn't have a clue I'm coming. The three bags of equipment are waiting for me where I shoved them over, though one is caught on a nail. Who leaves rusty things like that in a fence where somebody could get hurt?

My God, his back yard is overgrown. They ought to have a law against this sort of thing. You'd think he never heard of a lawn service. Partly because I don't want to step on something hidden in the grass, it takes a while to get everything set up. I hook the battery to a cell scrambler, so he can't get a call out. Pretty smart, right? Then I use epoxy to hang a heavy blanket outside his bedroom window, to muffle the sounds. Finally, still repeating the mantra, I cut the landline, then flip the switches on his power box. I didn't even need the big insulated clipper doodad. All electricity off and nobody the wiser.

Now comes the tricky part because I'm working off of an instruction manual. And it's hard copy. I mean, these guys should seriously get into the twenty-first century. I use a small blowtorch to melt a hole in the sliding glass window, right where the security circuit is located. Then I put a pair of these cute little leads onto the ends, so it thinks the wires are still attached. I mean, as much as a machine actually thinks. But I fool it. Probably. Now I have to open the door, which is easier than I expected because, while I'm working the lockpick, it just jiggles the latch free. I dunno, must be the foundation. My dad used to complain about his door doing the very same thing.

I am a natural at this. I take the rest of the bags inside, because sooner or later, I'll be in control and he'll know what it's like to be powerless. I close the door, just to keep it looking normal. Nobody will look over the fence in the middle of the night. Hopefully.

I am strong. I am in charge. I spent a lot of money on therapy to make this happen. The infrared scanner shows he's alone in the house. The outer walls might be too well insulated for this model to get a good read, but he posted online about his family taking a vacation to Martha's Vineyard while he finished some work at home. Probably just drinking and smoking and doesn't want his wife to know. Maybe an affair, but he's sort of old.

I take three battery units to just outside his bedroom door, to power the spotlight. I intend to make him sweat before I kill him. What? You thought I was doing all this to short-sheet his bed? No. He deserves to die for what he did. For how powerless he made me feel. And all those others too, I'm sure. What sort of man stops at just one, when he knows he can get away with it?

And once he's dead, he'll never hurt anyone again. I guarantee it. Unless vampires are real, which my friend Steve swears is true, but he smokes a lot of meth, so he's not really a reliable source. And it ruined his teeth too. I mean, blech. No, double blech. Would that be blech blech? I need to take notes, so I can write the book afterward.

Quiet as a vole, which is a fancy type of mouse, I slide his door open. He's sound asleep. I carry the light in, make sure its switch is off, then plug it into the wall. No wait, there's no power. I run out and plug it into the three batteries, which I then have to set up in series. Or is that parallel? I hope I have it right.

Then a light shines at me. His voice, the one I recall with so much terror, calls out, "What the devil is going on?"

I run over and flip the light on, then aim it at him. He holds up his hand to shield his eyes. Thank goodness he's wearing pajamas, I don't want to see an old guy naked or anything. He's trying to act tough. "I don't know who gave you a key, but the joke is done. Go back to your dorm."

He starts to get up, but I pull the pistol out of my pocket, then slide the sound suppressor on it. He laughs. "You can't silence a revolver. Even if you could, it's not anything like silent, so someone will hear. See the window?"

He probably got that part about the revolver from some mystery novel he reviewed. I laugh back. I have the gun. "See the drapes? I used epoxy to hang some more outside. It's all about layers. Oh, and this is a fancy Russian revolver-"

"A Nagant?" He's not scared. He thinks this is a joke. And of course he knows the name. Probably got that from some other career he ruined.

"I'm going to shoot you."

He stands up and starts walking for the door. "Where do you think you're going?"

"The bathroom. Go out to the kitchen and start some coffee. This will probably take all night and I'm older. I have to pee."

"I have a gun!" My voice rises.

"If you intended to use it, you would have shot me already." He turns, disinterested. "Besides, you're the third aggrieved student this Christmas break. Probably get another before you're done."

I pull the trigger and nothing happens. Then I remember I have to flip the safety off. Or on- I never remember which means it can shoot. By that time, he's in the bathroom and I am not going to go watch him pee. Well, I suppose some coffee can't hurt. The three gallons of kerosene will burn any trace of me drinking as well as everything else I'm leaving behind.

"The coffee maker's not working." I call after fumbling with it for a while. "I already checked. It's plugged in."

"Did you flip the circuit breakers on?" He calls. He comes out in a robe and slippers, barely visible in the light from the bedroom. He presses a button on his end table and a soft glow lights from a wall sconce. Then he reaches for the gun. "Let me see it now I have the backup light on. She looks like a real beauty. I want to hold one of these before I die."

"Please." I shoo him back. "Like I'll fall for that one. Once you have the gun, I die."

"Did you pay absolutely no attention when you illuminated me so?" Now he sounds like my professor from all those years ago. "Yellow, jaundiced skin which hangs loose on the limbs. Dark circles under the eyes. Hair even thinner than it should be. Whether you shoot me or not, I remain doomed. Less than two weeks, during the holidays. I convinced my wife to take the grand-kids on vacation so they won't recall me as the sick old man whose death ruined Christmas. If you want to put me out of my misery, then fine. The pain is horrible and the medicine worse."

"How am I supposed to get revenge for you ruining my life?"

"Me?" he chuckles. "I had nothing to do with it. You were the one who refused to learn. Came into my class with a chip on your shoulder. Thinking you were as capable a writer as Hemingway."

"Rowling. I want money."

"Whatever." He waves his hand. "It's just like now. If you walk away, it's only another frat prank and my insurance will pay for it. Pull that trigger and you'll be on the run for the rest of your life. So who destroys your life if you give me surcease of sorrow? You have all the advantages. I'm powerless to stop you."

"The exact reverse of your class." I sneer with pleasure. I finally have him where I want him. All his pretty words and he's going to die screaming. In pain. And all I have to do is waltz out of here to watch it happen. That means no police and all my plans work beautifully.

"So, want to turn on the power and talk about your work in progress? The frat boys have a pizza delivery guy who keeps showing up at odd hours. Brings a small mountain of food. Then I have the nurse take it out."

Wow. He has it soooo damn tough. A private nurse. "Must be nice. All the expensive care. I can't even get my teeth fixed."

"Not really. One payer system is why the doctors failed to catch my pancreatic cancer in time." He scowls, just like when he used to grade papers. Especially mine. I watched. "But really-"

The doorbell interrupts.

"And that will be the aforementioned mountain of pizza. Stay here, you can help eat it."

I wait, then he comes back with two police officers. He acts apologetic. "They said someone called about you sneaking around the neighborhood. Said they saw you come in."

"Do you want to say anything?" An officer asks. They have their guns out and aimed at me, and I realize my revolver is still in my hand. I slowly release it, opening my fingers without moving anything more. One of them walks over and takes the gun.

"That's just a prop. She brought it to talk about a story. Very in character, sort of like method acting but for writing."

I can't believe they could fall for such a lame story. The one holding checks the chambers. "It's loaded."

"But the gun is off," the professor says. "We checked."

"The safety is off," the policeman answers. He looks at me. "Do you have a license for this?"

"That is my gun. Billy Summers came here at my invitation," the professor tells them. "If you could just help me unload it and put the safety to will not fire, I'll put it in the safe. Then we can get back to our expected pizza, "

Could this get any more surreal? Why is he doing this? He has all the power now. No. I've tricked him. I'll get the gun back after the police leave and any fingerprints are because I was here. They'll never suspect a thing. No, wait, I get off completely free. Maybe even steal his next manuscript because he suspects nothing. As nice as everything is, he must make a mint. Even one of his books will set me up for life.

"Are you still with me Billy?" He asks. "The police are gone. They'll write it up as a mistaken call by a nosy neighbor, and we can get back to helping you get your Great American Novel written."

"I need my gun back at some point." I want to be nice. "Pity about the cancer."

"I have a root canal scheduled for tomorrow," He's smiling. The predator's smile he used to skewer students, particularly me. It was always me, not the others. "Can't sleep, but one payer medical means I get it done when they can fit me in. I've been waiting for months."

"Isn't that a waste when you're dying of cancer?"

"That was a story, just like those police." Then the professor has the gall to turn toward the audience. "Dear readers, what started as parody humor of a darkly sardonic tale has turned surreal with this fourth wall violation. If it was not obvious, and for full literary effect, we will now explain what actually happened. Within the scope of the tale and without any more fourth wall violation."

Does that not beat all. Here it is, my story, and he takes over like he has all the power. Just like when he taught classes in writing and wanted to tell us how to write our stories. This is my story, I get to decide how it will end. "The gun is still mine. I want it back."

"I hope you have a bill of sale." Then the lights come on. "Good. They found the fuse box."

"You are a thief. Give me my gun."

"Just holding onto it for safe keeping. By which I mean I keep it safe in my safe to keep me safe from you. And in case it gets rough, my safe word is safe. Because I like playing safe."

"Wait. What?" He always wants to twist me in his clever words.

"I never had cancer," he says. I think he's going through an elaborate explanation like in a mystery novel. "Just a bad tooth. It's kept me up for months, hence the bags under my eyes. And the pain has been stress which made my hair brittle and dry. Your lamp gives everything a yellowish tint, but my emergency lighting is worse. I said cancer and you hesitated. You never wanted to kill me, just humiliate."

"I wanted you dead. I bought the gun for just that reason."

"Which puts you in a tough spot for legal action."

"Explain how that works."

"I have two witnesses, the frat boys I summoned when you thought I was going to the bathroom." He's a menace. I'd shoot him if I still had my gun. "Then I told you the bit about the pizza and you fell for it too. Then they had prop guns pointed-"

"How did you plan all this out?" I feel my heart racing. "You did this to me. You set me up, just like all those times in class."

"I improvised," he says. "You had a pathetic gun. I have a keen mind. In the end, my weapon overpowered yours. You were helpless from the moment I woke up."

I am powerless. Just like always. I go make some coffee. When I get back, the two frat boys are there. With pizza and their, obviously fake, police uniforms. "Why didn't I see those were fakes earlier?"

"Duh! The power was out." The heavier of the frat boys.

"Boys, be nice. Miss Summers has problems."

"Yeah, she's mental." The other frat boy.

"What about you two? Just boyfriends of the prof or something?"

"Nah, he's our club sponsor. We TP'ed his house and he kept the cops off. So when he wanted a solid, we said sure."

"Returning to the subject at hand." He's always like this. "You failed tonight because you became enamored of your plot. You failed, just like in class, because you don't ever want to be told how to do anything."

"This was flawless. I got in and would have killed you except the safety was on. Then you were in the bathroom and then it was the cancer would finish you and then-"

"You never put a plot complication before your characters. So you don't expect them in life. This is why we study Shakespeare. To prepare ourselves to take arms against a sea of troubles."

"But it nearly worked," I say. "And I passed your class."

"You received a pity C," he says. "It was a pity university regulations prevented me failing most of your class."

"I got an A on the first assignment. The one you gave on the first day and forced us to hand in before class was over."

"When did this stop being funny?" heavy frat asks.

"Writing is a serious matter. Students want it to be easy. They're fed pap in school and given participation awards until they believe it's how the world works. You had all the power. Three students made an effort to improve. They received A's and an invitation to a special studies class. The rest of you received my pity. You failed to learn, and now you fail at life. Until you decide to use your power wisely, you won't go anywhere."

"I don't have any power. I never chose this!"

"You chose to come here tonight with deadly intent. You chose to ignore my pleas to improve your writing. You had such promise. Now I can only imagine what sort of dark, bitter ramblings you post online. Now go. In this, you are powerless. If you choose to resist, we will summon the actual police. Then you will spend years behind bars for a variety of state and federal crimes. I don't want to ruin your life, but I won't let you destroy mine."

As the boys start walking me away, I wonder when this comedy turned tragic. Then I understand. I was always a pawn of the sadistic writer. Nobody understands powerless until they are a character in someone's writing.

And I don't understand enough German to know why he chose his title.


September 10, 2020 06:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

93 comments

Jan H
14:34 Sep 10, 2020

I promise I try to listen. I'll do better. Seriously, I appreciated this story. It's funny, but it makes a valid point. This story resonates on many levels. I wholeheartedly agree with the line about participation awards. Some do take advice and try to improve, but it's not always easy. It's not supposed to be easy. The lines, 'You chose to ignore my pleas to improve your writing. You had such promise. Now I can only imagine what sort of dark bitter ramblings you post online.', is right on the mark. P.S. I read 'The Awards'. A lot ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
10:45 Sep 10, 2020

I like this story more because it's funny and it touches complex themes. I like the student and the audacious way she felt about getting revenge on failed classes. The language is one used when someone is talking about a distant experience to a friend and I did enjoy it. It's hilarious when I see how reasonable the professor sounded while explaining the complexity of writing and life. A few typos such as what Gopika stated. And towards the end also when the professor starts talking about how she came to his home, you put 'her' instead of...

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
00:37 Oct 13, 2020

Hey Charles? your good with romance right?

Reply

Charles Stucker
03:43 Oct 13, 2020

Let's say OK.

Reply

B. W.
03:50 Oct 13, 2020

Well, i'm writing a new novel that has a bit of romance and i was wondering if you could maybe help me a bit with it?

Reply

Charles Stucker
05:54 Oct 13, 2020

Sure. Romance depends on tension just like any other story. Romantic tension comes from the protagonist not knowing the feelings of the other character or from having conflicting feelings regarding their romantic partner. First case, some classics, "Does he love me or is he just using me?" "Is he seeing someone else?" "Should I go talk to him?" Second case, "Is he right for me?" "Am I ready to settle down?" "What is he hiding about his past?" "None of my friends like him." "Is he better than the other guy I like?" You can also have e...

Reply

B. W.
12:44 Oct 13, 2020

Well, he's the plot for it: Mika and Ryder have been best friends almost since birth but they kind of have a future to save and free the demi-gods because in this their kind of enslaved by the mortals and some of the god's as well and so the others don't like this along with ryder (though he'd eventually change, he won't stay like this forever) and the two demi-gods they would save are Harmony and Arren and now they'd all sorta be on the run. all the characters are either 17 or 18 and i'd want to get Mika and Harmony together and then get...

Reply

Charles Stucker
14:21 Oct 13, 2020

So you have these potential complications Mika and Ryder will make Harmony and Arren jealous of their closeness. Mika and Harmony must develop a relationship Same applies to Ryder and Arren They are all on the run. Harmony and Arren are demigods Mika and Ryder are humans? This has plenty of potential for plot complications. Since it is YA (age 17-18) you can do pretty much as you please. This optimally is told in two books. Book one is from Mika's (or Harmony's) 1st person present POV. Book 2 is from Ryder or Arren's 1st person pre...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Kingston
20:02 Sep 27, 2020

Great story! I love the fourth wall breaks and how the professor relates the way Billy failed at his class with why her planned failed. Keep up the good work and keep writing!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lily Kingston
20:02 Sep 27, 2020

Great story! I love the fourth wall breaks and how the professor relates the way Billy failed at his class with why her planned failed. Keep up the good work and keep writing!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
22:11 Sep 26, 2020

I got a lot of ideas from this weeks prompts tbh so i'm not sure if i told ya yet but i made "My older sister?" which is something for my demi-god series and just a random little thing "Reunion? No thanks"

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
15:25 Sep 25, 2020

I made a new story not to long ago so could ya maybe check out "Betrayed"

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
01:16 Sep 25, 2020

Heya Charles could you maybe help me with something? I'm pretty sure you know my demi-god series and i'm planning on turning it into a novel as well, i was wondering if you could help me with a few things in it. i kind of know the plot as well because i've decided to change it up a bit though i'm not sure about the plot so could i tell you it as well?

Reply

Charles Stucker
02:42 Sep 25, 2020

Sure. Do you recall my email? Sending it that way keeps it covered clearly by copyright and nobody is apt to see it except us. It also keeps us from cluttering Reedsy boards.

Reply

B. W.
02:49 Sep 25, 2020

No i don't think i really remember it tbh. I mean i was planning on putting the plot, or at least what i have for it in my Bio already. i'm not that worried for others really seeing it that much

Reply

Charles Stucker
04:00 Sep 25, 2020

Sure. I can look at it. If it's what you have up right now, then it is a good elevator pitch. It is very useful for keeping on track because when you write something it needs to fit into that pitch. If (for example) you pitched a tale about the hero rescuing a princess from a dragon, then spent half the book talking about the economic impact of bimetalism, then you would be off track. However, you need to have an idea of the pacing you desire as well. This means at least a bit more detail. Like First 15,000 words- getting all the character...

Reply

B. W.
04:04 Sep 25, 2020

I was about to put some of it into my Bio to tell the others but here's what i have for the plot so far: half of the world has demi-god's enslaved the other half of the world has mortals enslaved. One demi-god and one mortal feel bad about an enslaved mortal and demi-god so they decide to help each other, the four need to meet up and try to stop all of the enslaving

Reply

Charles Stucker
07:09 Sep 25, 2020

OK, that's a good plot premise. You have two pairs- each with a fundamental inequality (mortal and demi-god)- and they are trying to change the status quo. plenty of conflict and tension for a story. Do you have all four fully fleshed out? I don't need those details, I just need YOU to have them.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
20:55 Sep 22, 2020

Heya Charles ^^ could you check out "It has begun" ?

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
00:08 Sep 20, 2020

I'm still working on the novel but right as i got onto chapter 5 i kinda got writers block with it. I know most of the stuff that will happen in it but then i sorta forgot some of it and the parts i do know about still i don't know HOW to do them or anything and i feel like i wanna change a few things, any advice on what i should do whenever i get writers block?

Reply

Charles Stucker
01:09 Sep 20, 2020

As soon as you have an idea, write it down. Lost thoughts are notoriously hard to recover. When you have writer's block, you can Take a break to do something else. Try writing on a different story. Pace back and fort while thinking of the plot ( I do this and it drives my wife crazy) Write something for the background, a bit of the past on a supporting character or some trivia of the setting, and see what pops into your head. Write stream of consciousness, literally putting anything onto the page. Talk to someone about what you want ...

Reply

B. W.
01:14 Sep 20, 2020

alright, thank you for all that ^^ tbh i always pace back and forth listening to music to think of a lot of things, not for story ideas just for a lot of things in general so i guess i should try that and some of the other things as well, thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.