1 comment

Fantasy Funny Christian

Nasty little runts, squirming and slithering in their own wretched filth! Eternally damned to live and squawk in squalor, desperately trying to find a way out, their puny mush of a brain cell, clattering around in their empty vessel.

No, they will suffer, just as I have, they will feel the dread of being born into a world that despises them.

They. Will. Suffer.

"Susan, you've been in there a while now, do you want to come down for dinner or not?"

Drat and double drat, that banshee, always trying to quell my plans, does she not know she disturbs Susan the Mistress of Clanthorpe- The Destroyer- The Redeemer- The God!

"Susan! I won't ask again, are you coming down for dinner, if you don't come down soon it will be cold and I wouldn't want that."

"Fine! I'm coming now!" Curses unto you, you foul beast.

"Glad you could join us, now sit down and we'll begin our grace, sit next to your brother."

Susan plonked down onto her chair, silently cursing the despicable banshee who doth disturb her plans and schemes.

To her left sat her brother, bright eyed and gap toothed, a perfect picture of a gutless follower, of this she-beast.

The grim thought of having to be in it's presence disgusted Susan to her core, paired with the mildew yellow wallpaper and bland beige food, it was a miracle Susan could hold in her vomit.

"Did you finish all your schoolwork for today Stephen?" the rakishly thin woman asked the gap toothed disciple.

"Of course Mother, it was most interesting, my teachers say I have an affinity for religious studying, and my religious studies as well!"

"Oh Stephen, you never fail to make me giggle, what wit, what a lovely son you are turning out to be." With that the monster cast her eyes on Susan, ready to pounce.

"And what about you Susan, the school tells me you are becoming more preoccupied with an "afterschool project", than your own studies?" Her eyes, narrowing, ready to pierce her in the gut and hoist her up other the battlements.

"Well, if you must know Mother, my studies have not dropped, despite me working on my other project, maybe I have just been blessed with the intellect of a 1000 lowly mortals, or perhaps that of a God-"

The rakish woman's glare was enough to melt ice.

" Young lady! Do not speak your blasphemies in this household, I will hear nothing of the sort, your Father would be rolling in his grave to hear you speak like this!" her eyes glanced forlornly at the family portrait displayed over the faux fire place.

There a man stood, a rather domineering yet rotund man, with big furrowed brows contrasting with the thin moustache set upon his pale lips.

"My father would be pleased that his eldest child, is trying to finish his life's work, he'd be happy, he wouldn't be besmirching his legacy casting me aside, in favour of a soft bellied rat like Stephen!"

"You say one more word-" The woman started to stand, gripping the table as she did, her knuckles turning white.

"Or what Mother? You'll disown me, you'll lock me in my room?! What?!" Susan now arose meeting her gaze. All the while Stephen looked on, unable to even muster a sound, slouching deeper in to his chair, wishing to be eaten by the earth below the old floorboards.

The two matriarchs staring each other down, neither one wanting to break eye contact, neither wanting to display weakness.

The tension was cut by the sound of the shattering glass, as Stephen, hands trembling dropped his cup of water, this seemed to snap them both out of their trance like states, both regaining some sort of composure as the slender woman attended to Stephens little accident.

Once again, both sitting and both trying to finish off their beige slop, the woman continued.

"Susan, it will be only a matter of time before you realise your project, your Fathers project was completely useless, those creatures will not respond to you in anyway, it drove him to madness and I fear it will do the same to you in time." Her voice, lower and softer than the shrill it usually was.

Susan looked up from her porridge- like gruel herself now using her eyes to pierce through the woman's. "I understand." Her tone cold and emotionless, and with that Susan excused herself from the dreary room and made her way up the creaking stairs to her sanctuary.

My creatures, will rise, they will destroy, for I am their commander and God. I will complete your work Father, I will show the world our true might, are worth and make them rue the day they ever doubted us.

Father I can hear you, I can hear your words in my own ears, I know what we must do now, I finally understand what you meant all those years ago- she has to go.

Susan worked tirelessly into the night perfecting, her control other the creatures, she both loved and loathed, she had a plan, a plan that would require precision, the likes of which have never been done by any mere mortal.

All she needed was an opening, all she needed was that slight lapse in judgement from the woman to execute her and her Father's vengeance.

The dark clouds of the night made way for the grey clouds of the morning, accompanied with Susan's gleeful demeanour.

Downstairs she was greeted by the woman, sitting in the stuffy living room, surrounded by her many chachki's and more importantly, without her son.

"Where's Stephen?" Susan tried to ask as nonchalantly as possible.

"He went on his school trip, I suppose you'd know that, had you not removed yourself early from dinner last night, speaking of, have you calmed down Susan?"

"Oh, yes Mother. Yes I have, now would I be able to make amends, would I be able to offer you some tea, maybe you'd like a sandwich whilst I'm at it?"

The woman was taken a back never, had Susan admitted her wrong doings, and never had she tried to show remorse for it.

Smiling to herself, the woman accepted the peace offering, "Yes, that would be nice."

You fool, you petulant fool! I will destroy you from the inside, and you won't even know till it's too late.

Susan handed the woman her sandwich and tea, smiling sweetly yet her eyes gleaned with eager anticipation.

"Ohh, it's rather nice, what's in the sandwich again?" As struggled to chew the concoction.

"Just some pate and cucumbers, is the pate too coarse?"

"Err, no it's perfect, thank you-"

The woman started to cough and convulse, the sandwich falling from her hands as she slid down her armchair, foam starting to form around the corners of her mouth.

"Yes Mother, look at me, I want to see the look in your eyes when you know it's all over. I want you to beg me for mercy!"

Susan started to monologue:

I have never lost in faith in my creatures and in 5 minutes, they'll prove me right for once in my life, they'll be squirming their way up into your brain, controlling your every move, but who controls them, well I do.

Susan the Mistress of Clanthorpe- The Destroyer- The Redeemer- The God!

I will control them and therefore your very being, but you are just the first of many, with my creatures we shall take control of the entire world, of all you puny little heathens, who doubted me and Father.

I want your last thought rattling around in your brain, to be how you could have stopped this, how if you had supported us you could have stood by our side, and had the world bowing at your feet!

How pitiful your life is now, a sum of nothing, cursed to live as a vessel for me.

"Susan," a deep raspy voice, called out to her.

"Let her be, let her go, put an end to this, this is not how I wanted things to go, I wanted her spared, I wanted her to be apart of this, please I beg of you don't let the conversion take place."

But she wronged me, she doubted me, pushed me to the side for her precious Stephen Father, how can I stop it now, she would show me no kindness if the roles were reversed.

"You know that's not true, she's your Mother, she will come to her senses one day, she will join you."

But how can you be so sure? She's betrayed me at every turn she's ruined me?!

"No, Susan, you have ruined yourself, you need to get those creatures out and ther's onlny one day of doing it!"

Father I am trusting you are right.

Susan stood over her Mother, the fear in her eyes, was fading it looked as if she were to accept her fate.

Two minutes remained until the damage was irreversible and surely there would be no better servant than her Mother, even if Father believed she would be able to join them in their mission.

Time moving forward, but ever so slowly, the clock kept on ticking.

Tick, tick, tick.

Susan stayed rooted on the spot, the very last light of her Mother's eyes, barely clinging on.

She sighed, "Oh, what to do?"

November 07, 2020 17:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Monica D
21:27 Nov 18, 2020

Why is it called Rue the day? should it be Rule the day? I still don't get why the mom would be mad...otherwise than that I liked the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.