42 comments

Romance Lesbian LGBTQ+

You know how fairy tales work? The princess usually meets the prince at a ball. They fall in love. But then something happens and then the prince has to rescue the princess. He rescues her and then they ride off into the sunset on a horse that has no other role. That’s how they work. There’s never been any change to it.

I, for one, always hated that story. There were just so many problems with it. Here, have my full list of issues, that grows by the day-

1. You can meet *insert love interest* at ANY OTHER PLACE apart from a ball. These authors could have put in so much more character development before the ball! They could have been frenemies, but then see another side to each other that they didn’t see before!

2. Why is the love interest only restricted to a prince? I’d like to read a story where the prince has to be rescued. Maybe even one where a princess is being rescued by another princess.

3. Why. Does. The. Princess. Legit. ALLOW. Herself. To. Be. Kidnapped. By. A. Legit. DRAGON. Or. Something.

4. Why doesn’t anyone give credit to the dragon? I mean, he never has any motives. Oh I’ll say, I’m in the mood to randomly kidnap a princess even though it means I will most certainly die at the hands of the cliché prince!

Please! CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, PEOPLE, CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT FOR VILLAINS!!

5. Why do they always ride off into the sunset? Why not into a sunrise?

6. Where did the horse come from? How do you know if it’s being mistreated by the prince? Animal cruelty exists!

But all this is beside the point. My point NOT being that the cliché romance story sucks. Even though it does.

My point actually being that, no matter how much baloney the old stories feed you, it isn’t like that in real life. Despite being not true at all, you might find yourself using them as benchmarks in love, like, comparing your love life to Cinderella.

I made that mistake when I first realized how I saw my best friend, Merielle.

Yes, Merielle Olympe. As in beat-maker extraordinaire, the one who helps me with songs, the one who goes by Rai (short for my nickname for her, Mirai) online.

I should probably explain a bit more.

Mirai and I first “met” in Geography. Everyone says that math is the devil, and so is History, but NO! You have it all wrong. The one you should be hating is Geography.

(Cough.) (Let’s get back to the story.)

I shouldn’t say “met”, exactly, we were just random people back then. I was that one loner kid who sat in the back with a notebook.

The way our school works is that there are twenty to thirty kids in a class, all divided into four rows.

It’s not very fun because then you get grouped with random people each class… Back to the notebook. It was yellow.

It was only for me to see. I wrote little songs and doodled. That notebook was my life.

Unfortunately, it was also the reason I didn’t pay attention in class, and therefore, wasn’t allowed to bring it to Geography any more.

Pfft. Like that was going to stop me.

I hid it in my jacket but didn’t dare take it out. But then, just as my teacher finished inspecting the row in front of me’s work and was about to start on my row, I got a song idea.

A good one to boot. And I couldn’t write it. Not with the teacher stalking me. I started fidgeting in panic. The girl who sat behind me noticed and also took in that I didn’t have my notebook. She tore off a page from her notebook, and then crumpled it, then threw it with amazing aim to under my desk. And I caught it and clutched it.

The teacher passed. I was safe. I then furiously started to scribble my idea.

It’s a serendipity,

That I met you.

I won’t leave your side

Until the end of time.

We’ll spin like the lilies,

Gaze up at the stars,

Under my patchwork sky.

I turned around and mouthed, ‘Thank you’ to the girl. After class was over, she introduced herself to me.

“My name is Merielle. And you are the song girl?”

“Song girl?”

“You write songs. Good ones, too.”

“M-My name is Elise…”

“Can I see the song you wrote in class, Elise? I can find a beat for it!”

I then show the song to her. She starts nodding her head to an invisible rhythm and takes a picture of the words on her phone. She then puts her headphones on from where they were dangling from her neck, and opened GarageBand on her phone.

“Well, songbird, I’ll have a tune done by tonight! Can I have your number?”

“S-Sure?”

We exchanged numbers, and she declared that her official nickname for me was going to be ‘songbird’. (!!!)

And that’s how I met my best friend of three years. Yes, I met her when I needed paper to doodle an idea right before a teacher ruined everything. I’m now glad that I wasn’t allowed to bring my notebook- without that happening, I’d have never met Mirai.

Well, now seventh grade has passed by. So has eighth and ninth. And with Mirai’s help, I’ve produced and copyrighted about five whole songs! As a celebratory thing, I’m taking her to the skydiving stadium.

It’s where you get prepped to go skydiving.

Obviously.

(Seriously, am I ADHD or something? Oh wait. Bad joke. I am ADHD.)

Well, little does Mirai know I have something planned for her!

I came clean to my family about it, and they are all okay with it, and my dad even told me that he was proud. I’m so happy I have a loving and supporting family.

Well… Time to imagine it once again. Everything has to be perfect.

We jump off the helicopter and hold hands and do air tricks. Then, about a minute before we open our parachutes, just in case she’s shocked, this is what will happen-

Me: Mirai, I have something to ask you!

Mirai: What is it?

Me: Merielle Olympe… do you promise to be by my side forever? Or at least until we graduate?

Mirai: What the penguin, Eli?! Didn’t I already promise that??

Me: No you idiot! I’m asking if you want to be my girlfriend!

I don’t know what she would say.

I don’t know what I want her to say.

August 26, 2020 07:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

42 comments

02:18 Oct 02, 2020

Amazing! I loved the plot! 10/10 <3

Reply

<inactive> .
06:41 Oct 02, 2020

Aww, thank you so much! I'm glad you love Eli and Rai as much as I do :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
04:38 Sep 09, 2020

Everyone says that math is the devil, and so is History, but NO! You have it all wrong. The one you should be hating is Geography. Lol, I hate geog. Too ! Torrid zone, temperate zone😬😬

Reply

<inactive> .
04:41 Sep 09, 2020

Yessss I hate Geography with all my might! Actually, some parts of Geography are okay-ish, like the parts with history mixed in. But the rest is torture.

Reply

Sia S
04:42 Sep 09, 2020

Yaaaaaaaa, we have geog. Tmrw 😟😟

Reply

<inactive> .
04:46 Sep 09, 2020

😟

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
00:54 Sep 02, 2020

Wow! great story, I can't wait until part 2

Reply

<inactive> .
05:27 Sep 02, 2020

Thanks so much, Sarah! Part 2 will probably come out today or tomorrow ;)

Reply

. .
05:39 Sep 02, 2020

That's so quick! can't wait

Reply

<inactive> .
06:12 Sep 02, 2020

Lol thank you :D

Reply

. .
06:12 Sep 02, 2020

Np!

Reply

<inactive> .
06:35 Sep 02, 2020

Oml I'm in class right now and my teacher's toddler is screaming like the house is on fire and I can't stop laughing

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:43 Aug 28, 2020

Hi, Priyamvada! THE WRITING HUNGER GAMES START TODAAAAY! Okay, I’m putting it up on my bio. I mean, it was already there, but whatever. Anyways, a lotta people are confused about what the writing hunger games IS. Would you mind explaining a bit more in your bio or something? I’ll be sharing a link to get over there so hopefully more people will come, see the hunger games, and participate.... So...yeah. Bye! ~A

Reply

<inactive> .
15:47 Aug 28, 2020

YUP! THE FIRST GENRE IS ALREADY UP!! Ohh ok, I'll do that!

Reply

<inactive> .
15:52 Aug 28, 2020

I did it

Reply

16:07 Aug 28, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
<inactive> .
15:53 Aug 28, 2020

Hey the prompts are good this week! I think you can do it 0w0

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
<inactive> .
16:16 Aug 26, 2020

Oml I have 400+ karma points! Thanks so much everyone, this means the world to me!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Elliot Thomas
12:25 Aug 26, 2020

This is so cute. I'm glad you addressed how cliche normal love stories are. I can't wait for the second part

Reply

<inactive> .
15:12 Aug 26, 2020

Aww, thanks so much! It took all of my five brain cells to come up with this so I'm glad you enjoyed it! Haha, it's probably coming next week :')

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
<inactive> .
08:08 Aug 26, 2020

Part 2 will be from Mirai's perspective 0w0

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
16:22 Feb 27, 2021

This is my favorite story of the day. Carzy thing- there's a character in TDR named Elise, too!!! Great minds think alike!!!

Reply

<inactive> .
16:37 Feb 27, 2021

Aww thank you!! Great minds surround themselves with absolutely greater minds that have a questionable excess of talent that I would love to have-

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
23:12 Oct 01, 2020

Awesome! Can't wait to read part two!

Reply

<inactive> .
06:40 Oct 02, 2020

Thanks so much! Part 2 is already out hehe

Reply

Ari Berri
13:06 Oct 02, 2020

Yeah, i saw it after I wrote that. It's great too.

Reply

<inactive> .
05:22 Oct 03, 2020

Thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
04:32 Sep 10, 2020

I like the story in form of dialogues. Well written. Really enjoyed reading it. Keep writing. Would you mind reading my new story? Thanks.

Reply

<inactive> .
05:08 Sep 10, 2020

Aaaaaaaa thanks so much! I don't mind at all ^ - ^

Reply

Keerththan 😀
05:14 Sep 10, 2020

Welcome :) Thank you☺️☺️😀😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Patricia Green
23:57 Sep 02, 2020

Good story.

Reply

<inactive> .
04:34 Sep 03, 2020

thanks :D sry can't write a full thank you message my school starts in five minutes

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

This story is amazing! Your character's voice really shines through your writing. I loved The list at the start about how unrealistic fairy tail love really is, I think it really helped develop your character. This story is really captivating from beginning to end, Great job!

Reply

<inactive> .
18:42 Aug 26, 2020

Thanks so much, Alainna! I already told a famous person to put you in the spotlight, check yourself out at Aerin B.'s bio!

Reply

No problem. Wow, thanks so much.

Reply

<inactive> .
19:53 Aug 26, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.