6 comments

Fiction Fantasy Adventure

Ushering in the sunrise was monotonous work.


Before the blazing and almighty sun began its stretch, rosy-fingered Dawn emerged with light from the wisps of night. Beginning at the east, Dawn's fair maidens in their blush dresses flew in the first spark of morning. They rose with flushed tones, lightly drifting across the sky and bridling swift horses that race from the sun. This was their task. Alora hovered among her fellow nymphs, rose-tinted wings from her back, and admired how flushed and peaceful the world appeared, how purely golden the sun rose out from the end of the world.


She saw the sunrise every day, but it was never the same. Every day since the dawn of time, she grew up with all the other maidens in the same cycle. Alora lived the same routine: wake up before the sun, settle at the right point at the right time, then bring about the break of day and open the gates. This day wasn't any different. It was lovely, the sunrise. She could catch glimpses before disappearing at the other end with everyone else. They made the trek again, back to the east and usually returning full circle to where they started. The nymphs had a garden at the east where they would rest the night. It didn't take long to return, but Alora liked the trip.


"Don't stray far," her fellow maiden's told her. "Stay away from mortals, and don't stay out too long," they reminded.


Alora wasn't even sure if she could go far. They stuck closely together, braiding each others' hair, picking flowers, humming songs, and taming birds. The horses tended to make it back on their own and faster too as free spirits. It was always this way; this was all Alora remembered.


She picked a few flowers from the ground, yellow and glossy. She twirled the stems between her fingers. Why would today be any different? She couldn't imagine different.


"Hey! Stop following me!" some little kid shouted a little distance away.


Alora turned to see. When mortals saw them, they usually passed as common village girls or travelers, but she didn't think the children spotted them. She saw a small girl chasing an older boy by the fields. There was something golden around the girl, like sparks. Alora always happened to be attracted to golden things after never facing the sun so far. There was something so alluring, charismatic, and unavoidable. Brightness was attractive: she knew that her whole life. She looked closer, trying to see what was so glimmering.


The ground was soft beneath her feet, and the tall grass stalks brushed her legs. She was near enough to see now. The air hummed a gentle buzzing. Tiny, golden honey bees darted around the girl. Their iridescent wings glinted and they shone their honey hue in the sun.


"Hi."


Alora startled from her place; she'd been thinking about the sun. The girl had stopped running after the boy and was now facing her. The bees made a faint buzz.


"Hi." She gave a soft wave to the girl. "What are you doing?"


"I'm trying to get my brother to collect honey with me." She crossed her short arms and hmphed. "But he won't."


"Honey?" Alora asked.


"Yep! From my bees." The girl's eyes lit up. "Hey, maybe you can come with me!"


"Me? I don't know if I can." She looked around to see where the other nymphs had gone. She didn't see them. Alora guessed they wouldn't notice her disappearance. She would be back in time anyway.


The girl looked at her expectedly.


"Okay, maybe I will."


The sun blazed at Alora's back, but she enjoyed the time of the day. The sweet taste of honey lingered in her mouth. The girl, Dulcie, showed her honeybee hives that she kept. The little child seemed to have some affinity, maybe gift, with bees. Alora wondered if Dulcie was somehow a nymph, but it didn't matter much.


Dulcie was teaching her how to make flower crowns out of yellow buds. They were sitting on the plush grass under the midday sun. When she finished, Dulcie placed her crown on Alora's, and Alora fitted one for Dulcie too. They walked the fields with matching hairpieces and Dulcie showing the way around her village. Alora learned about the bees and the names of mortals. The two found the cool stream through the town, and they splashed in the water.


Alora never knew there was so much to do down here. She didn't know of the people, the activities that took place with the sun's light. Dulcie told her stories of people's travels and streets filled with bustling shops. Alora wanted to see all these places, wanted to experience everything outside her little sphere. If there was so much in Dulcie's village, Alora couldn't imagine what else was out there. She wished she had come out a little sooner.


On top of a grassy hill, Alora sat with Dulcie. The rest of her family was dawdling after a warm dinner. She could see the sun fade beyond the horizon and the sky dimming, but she didn't want to leave. She couldn't pull herself to stand up. There was so much to see; she wanted to wake up each day to something new. Alora didn't know how she would get back in the dark. Were the maidens thinking about her, wondering where she had gone?


"Today was fun," Dulcie beamed at her. "Let's do it again next time! I want to show you the festivals where everyone dresses up and dances and we eat a lot of food."


Alora smiled, "Of course."


"I think I have to go back now." Dulcie stood up. "Bye! See you later!"


"Bye!" Alora waved. She didn't leave. The journey back would be long and dark. She wondered why she stayed and what tomorrow would be. What would happen when she didn't get back?


Alora thought about it, and the sun had completely disappeared. The sky was almost dark by now. She listened to the quietness of the village and the sounds of cicadas, grasshoppers, and toads.


She drifted off into darkness.


The sun woke her up. It was bright outside, and it seemed like she had fallen asleep on the grass.


Alora couldn't help but smile.






June 26, 2021 03:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Akshita Arora
07:14 Jul 02, 2021

It was a nicely written story, it made me travel along with alora.

Reply

Casie D.
19:58 Jul 02, 2021

I'm glad you think that. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hanii Aburame
04:25 Jul 02, 2021

The ending felt cut short a little, granted that probably had to do with word space. It was easy to get lost in Alora's world with the beautiful prose, and it's a place I would like to have stayed and visited more.

Reply

Casie D.
19:57 Jul 02, 2021

Thank you for your feedback! I agree with you about the ending.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Esha Mahmood
20:38 Jun 30, 2021

Wow it was such a well written, imaginative story it transported me into another world.

Reply

Casie D.
01:03 Jul 02, 2021

Thanks so much for your comment! :) I appreciate it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.