27 comments

Crime Sad Thriller

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

She sits silently. Her foot tapping with a rhythmic pace. Suddenly she stops, closes her eyes and lets the tear slip by. She cries on the next shoulder. She can't cry helplessly when she knows the culprit.


***


I walk with padded feet. The days are cold and bitter. The frost painted windows set time back to the eighteen hundreds with the sounds of ancient clocks warming the room. The once nauseous feeling is subsided by the ambrosial roses and tulips. 


What I see first is the back of his head. His blond hair, not so thick as it used to be but combed neatly. 


“Grandpa?” I say


“Grandpa?” I try again, a bit louder this time. 


He looks back. Thick round glasses rest on the perfect slope of his nose, his tapered brows hanging up as always. I used to be proud of his chiselled jaw, how it smoothly curved at perfect angles which now is nothing but a stack of pale skin ready to peel off. 


Grandpa was a cowboy in his days. Not the typical one that you could think of. He was a short man. His hood would usually be tattered, jeans ripped and clothes covered in mud. He was witty, but not capable enough to put in words or have the honour to be respected. He would ride the horses for sure, horses with beautiful manes and strong bodies but would not be allowed to hold the reins or take control. Just sit behind and supply the guns. 


“Ah, my sweet little granddaughter!” He pastes his dentures over his wrinkled face. However far I head down, his smile would always pick me up. 


“Ah! My handsome grandpa!” I run towards him like a ten-year-old and hug him with all my might. “How did I get an awesome man like you?” 

Our eyes rest on each other. His blue eyes. Perfect blue eyes, one with calm oceans and raging storms. Blue waters and frozen ice. 

I can hear the rumble in his chest as he tries hard not to laugh. 


“When will you stop buttering this old man. I have nothing to give and not enough red to blush.” 


“Hm. Tough question. Probably never.”  


The room echoes again with laughter. A few seconds later, I lift my head from his chest, my ears now up like a dog and eyes sparkling as ever. “I have a gift for you.” 


“Oh a gift for this man! I am not surprised” He rubs his hands together, the nerves bulging out. His hands are delicate and cold. 


I am sorry Grandpa. But I can’t tell you the truth. 


*** 


When all are gone, she smiles to herself. He is sitting inside. This is probably her only chance. No, don’t you dare call it bad! It is not her fault anyway. The old man is nothing but a burden to the family. He sleeps and eats. Probably he too wishes to get rid of the listlessness. She is just helping. There is a box of tablets pinched in between her two fingers. But here is when she loses it. Here is when she gets the tables turn. 


The girl silently watches from the window, holding in a storm of tears. 


***


I pull it out from beneath the sofa. Perfectly wrapped in shining gift paper with Christmas bells decorating the surface. Holding it is a beautiful red ribbon tied in a perfect bow. The gift is surprisingly small in size. I hand it over to him. 

He receives it smiling, his brows permanently raised. The blue eyes now like an excited child. 


“What is it?”


“Go on. Open it” 


He knows me too well. And the efforts I have put. He pulls one end off the ribbon gently and instead of tearing the wrapping paper in one go, he looks for the tapes. He has no nails. Not even a little bit. And I don’t offer him help. 


I just sit back watching him scratch the tapes with his fine fingers and laugh. He is going to tear the beautiful wrapping eventually. 


I just love the way he is. 


Finally, he did it! His smile keeps getting wider. 


It is a snow globe. A special one. An old man sitting on the chair and at his foot is a teen girl with a book in her hands and a smile on her face. 


It is probably the best gift the old man has ever received. He tugs me beneath his arm. I could now clearly sniff the strong ginger and nutmeg odour coming from him. I wouldn’t appreciate it that much, especially when your nose is a few centimetres away from the armpit. But I’ll let it go. 


“I absolutely love it, sweetheart. You just gave me another piece for my antique.” 


“Hey! This isn’t for your antique!” 


Here it goes. The rumble again. Deep down from his chest.

I laugh first. He joins me. We both laugh.


“So, what have you decided for the new year's resolution ‘tis time?” 


A particular question I have been avoiding lately. Even he wouldn’t understand it. That is why I’ll say. 


“To help people taste their own fruit.” I saw out boldly. Not even a little bit of wavering or stuttering. Just out like that as if nothing is going to happen tonight. 


‘Interesting’ is all he managed to say. 


*** 


She has a plan in mind. And so has the girl. Tonight there will be blood. The battle remains ‘of whom?’ 


*** 


The handle feels firm in my hands. Feels like it belongs there. I know it does. I open the door slightly. She is still talking to herself. 


“I am sorry, poor grandpa. But this is how it is supposed to be” She says, careless again.


“Yes mom, this is how it is supposed to be” 


I am in the room now. The door closed behind me. Whatever happens, it is inside these four walls. 


“Clara? What are you doing here?” 


“You invited it, mom. You invited it.” The knife is now up in the air, shining like silver. 


“Oh. So you know. What are you going to do about it, huh?” 


“I thought it is too obvious.” 


“Listen, Clara, you are too young now. Maybe you will understand it one day, but not right now. It is better if you let me do what I need to do.” 


“I am twenty-one! Old enough to know who the real burden is. And I am going to take it off tonight.” 


“You don’t understand, Clara” 


“Understand what! Why do you want to poison my grandpa! The only person who ever understood me! Or why do you consider him as a burden! Tell me. What do I not understand huh? That I got a crazy bitch as my mother!” 


“Enough. Get out of my way.” 


We were both screaming now. I stood in front of her like a rock. Dare someone move me.


“Clara!” She kept repeating.

“Clara get out” She yelled one last time. I could feel my heart popping out of its cage. 


“No!” I reply. Firmly. 


“He killed my friggin’ mother! Get lost”


The reply had me lose control and she rushed past me. Only if I hadn’t caught her by the arm, she would’ve gone and done it


“Grandma died when she fell from the staircase. How was it his fault?” My tone had come back to normal now. To my own surprise, even mixed with sympathy. 


“He was standing right there when she fell. He didn’t move. Didn’t help her. He didn’t even call the police! Do you talk about yourself? She was part of my soul. Only one in the entire world whom I could call a ‘friend’ and she too left me.” Tears rushed past her cheeks. “And now, he is bound to die. I am sorry honey.” 


She was running away. I am not going to let it happen. How can I let him die? No no. The heat coming off was too intense to take. I couldn’t think. I couldn’t breathe. It happened within a snap of a finger. 


She was down on the ground, covered in pools of blood. A knife pierces through her back. 


I run back to the hall. Numb. Desperate to see his face. I need to tell him. The story of his brave granddaughter. A granddaughter who would do anything for his grandpa. 


What I see first is the back of his head. Shiny as ever. 


“Grandpa?” I walk towards him. His pale hands now hold the snowball. His chiselled jaw brings out his features. 

His blue eyes. 

They are cold and lifeless like balls of snow. His tapered brows are first time hanging down. 


I mourn the night for the corpse of two. 


December 27, 2021 16:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Philip Ebuluofor
19:15 Jan 16, 2022

I think the dialogues were in the class of their own. Entire story is relatable. Really fine work.

Reply

Keya Jadav
02:32 Jan 17, 2022

Thanks a lot, Philip!

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
20:05 Jan 19, 2022

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:35 Jan 15, 2022

This is great, Keya!! While I really enjoyed the plot, I would also like to highlight how well this story was written. You were descriptive, the story flowed really well, and you flipped perspectives flawlessly. You went from heartwarming story to very dark in a short amount of words, and yet it all came together beautifully. Amazing job! I love the relationship between the Grandpa and the granddaughter. It was really sweet. And the story took quite a turn, but like I said, it works really well. :)

Reply

Keya Jadav
03:19 Jan 16, 2022

Thank you so much for the lovely comment! This made my day :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eric D.
12:46 Jan 14, 2022

This one was definitely twisty Keya at first I was like aw how sweet granddaughter bonding with her grandpa took some big sad turns but you captured the emotions really well.

Reply

Keya Jadav
13:57 Jan 14, 2022

Thanks a lot, Eric. I really appreciate the lovely comment. I see you've written a new story! I'll give it a read asap. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
13:02 Jan 13, 2022

“saw out boldly” say boldly? Your description of his hands. I remember that from my grandparents. First the veins sticking out and then you start to see the nerves and then the liver spots. That’s a lot of death by the end. More so than a lot of my stories. That girl will be traumatised. Where did the knife come from?

Reply

Keya Jadav
03:19 Jan 14, 2022

Thanks again, Graham! I wasn't initially planning both of them dead, by the end, but the flow had me convinced. I had to set up some last-minute twists. When she entered her mother's room, the knife was in her hand as a weapon (idk probably from her kitchen?). I appreciate you giving it a read. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Creed .
18:27 Jan 07, 2022

I saw a few things that, I know probably can't be edited now, but for future reference: He rubs his hands together, the nerves bulging out.- I think that should be veins. “Clara get out” She yelled one last time. - "Clara, get out." “When will you stop buttering this old man. - “When will you stop buttering this old man? I am not surprised”- I am not surprised.” I am sorry Grandpa.- I am sorry, Grandpa. But this is how it is supposed to be” She says, careless again. - But this is how it is supposed to be.” “Yes mom, this is how it is suppo...

Reply

Keya Jadav
03:22 Jan 08, 2022

Thanks a lot, Endellion! I really appreciate the critique. I am still trying to do good with punctuation but thank you for pointing that out! I have not submitted the story to the contest, so can still make the changes.

Reply

Creed .
23:18 Jan 08, 2022

You're welcome! Don't worry, the story was still great despite the few mistakes. Oh, good!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
06:39 Jan 06, 2022

Wow, another fantastic story. I love the different perspectives here, and again, great job with the prompt. This one had a great feel to it with so many great lines, I'm having a hard time picking the best one. I loved this from beginning to end!!!! :)

Reply

Keya Jadav
07:21 Jan 06, 2022

This is part of my favourite collection now, thank you so so much! Your comments have made my day! I regret not submitting it to the contest, but I'll compensate it with another one 😉

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
15:54 Jan 06, 2022

Don't feel bad about not submitting to the contest, it all adds up and often times it's a gamble. All of your fans will know the story is on your page and that's all that matters :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Purvi V
04:12 Jan 02, 2022

Hey Keya...your stories never fail to impress me... a good plot with a well-structured piece of writing which glues its readers till the end...Keep it up! Looking forward to reading many more amazing stories in the coming year...Best wishes!!!

Reply

Keya Jadav
05:10 Jan 02, 2022

Thank you so so much, Purvi. I am grateful for the lovely comment. Wishing you a happy new year!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
22:33 Dec 31, 2021

Oh wow! This mystery was great! I love how you included the dual perspectives. I was very impressed with the way you wove in the prompt, too. My favorite line in the piece was: The girl silently watches from the window, holding in a storm of tears. Y oh did a great hon! Thank you for writing this piece.

Reply

Keya Jadav
04:31 Jan 01, 2022

Thank you so much for checking this out, Amanda. You brought a big smile to my face on the first day of the year. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alex Sultan
23:24 Dec 30, 2021

I think this is pretty good, Keya. I like the twist you went from a wholesome story to a twisted one, with the scene breaks in italics. It is a unique style I haven't seen before. I really like some of the poetic lines you wrote. 'However far I head down, his smile would always pick me up. ' Is my favourite. I like the flow of it and how it fits with the story. I'd recommend, for criqitue, going through and adding optional commas for when pauses are needed. Here is what I found for examples :) “Oh[,] a gift for this man! I am not surprise...

Reply

Keya Jadav
12:23 Dec 31, 2021

Hey Alex! Yes, I wasn't able to write past couple of weeks but it is good to see your comment again! Thank you for checking it out and the feedback is really appreciated. I will make the changes soon. Hope you have a fantastic year ahead!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
21:32 Dec 27, 2021

Hi Keya, I liked this, the writing is quite poetic in places with a nice flow. Especially the description of the grandfather. A couple of things I noticed: "She recites the lines again and cries on the next shoulder. " I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by this. Typo - "He is going to tear the beautiful Christmas bells eventually. " - think you meant 'hear'. "Clara get out” “Clara” “Clara!” She yells furiously" - If this is all the mother speaking , I think it needs to be on the same line for clarity, or interspersed with ac...

Reply

Keya Jadav
11:29 Dec 28, 2021

Hey Rachel, thanks for checking this out! I just wrote it last night and am still due with the last proofreading. I'll consider all the points you mentioned. Typo - "He is going to tear the beautiful Christmas bells eventually. " - think you meant 'hear'. --- Oh in this, I previously described the gift paper to be decorated with Christmas bells so through this I was trying to convey that he would tear the gift paper eventually. Now, that you have mentioned, I'll keep that in mind. About the prompt, I think it is fulfilled by the protagon...

Reply

Keya Jadav
11:52 Dec 28, 2021

Hey, I have made the changes now, if you would like to give it a look. Thanks.

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
12:38 Dec 28, 2021

Hey, sorry about the resolution, not sure why I missed that bit! Please take or leave my comments, they were initial thoughts immediately after reading, I'm sure other readers will massively disagree! 🙂

Reply

Keya Jadav
12:50 Dec 28, 2021

Ay no, your comments were really helpful. I have considered your remarks and made changes to my story accordingly. So thanks a ton for that 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keya Jadav
16:59 Dec 27, 2021

Back with my favourite genre! This one's been fun to write. I am still left with the last proofreading but I'll be done with it soon. All critiques welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.