Dance or Mathletes?

Submitted into Contest #89 in response to: Write about someone who is always looking toward the future.... view prompt

47 comments

Drama

This is a collaboration with Inara Ranger. I wrote the first part. This whole thing is the first part. I think she’s gonna post the second on her account.She is a good friend and she is so nice! Her story “All Too Innocent” is so well written! Go check her out!

Rrrrrrrrringgggg!

The school bell, the final one for the day, rings. My teacher is scribbling on the board yakking about some weird math equation but of course, no one really pays attention. We all leap out of our old, rusty school chairs and start leaving. I push my way through the crowd and meet up with my best friend, Zaara. She’s waiting for me at our usual hangout spot: the water fountain. The (probably dirty) water spills from the center and splashes out, showing a pretty display. It looks prettier with Zaara standing and smiling next to it. Zaara is no doubt the best friend ever. At first, it may not look like it, but once you really get to know her, you’ll be glad you even talked to her. She is a shy, introverted girl who loves studying. She has soft brown eyes and swishy black hair that stops a little beyond her shoulders. She wears glasses too, but they probably make her look even prettier. The only thing is….she keeps bugging me to tell my parents the secret I’m hiding from them. 

Ever since I was 7, I’ve had this huge of being a dancer. I had the reflexes and moves and I dance really well, or so I was told, so I went up to my parents and told them I wanted to be a dancer. They had gasped and slowly shaked their heads, clucking their tongues the whole time. “Dancing is for pretty, tall, skinny, talented girls. I’m sorry, but you’re none of them. And as your mother, I don’t remember raising you into a girl with sudden huge dreams that are impossible. You should make yourself useful, like being a doctor. Now go clean your room.” My mother had said. And yeah, I was upset. Obviously. But then I turned really mad. This was my life, my dream, so how dare she try to control it? So I followed my dream and….it turned to me lying to my parents saying I was going to mathletes but actually going to dance lessons. Is it my fault? It’s my future, my dream, meaning I have control over it. Period. 

As we walk onto the big street that leads up to our houses, Zaara starts our usual conversation. 

“Lyra, you have to tell your parents. You have to go up to them and sincerely tell them that being a doctor and studying is just not your thing. Although, that future sounds great to me.” Zaara gushes, and I raise my eyebrows at her. “Oh. Sorry. My bad.” She stutters. I roll my eyes. “That idea is so not the kind of thing I would do. You know what I would do? I would stomp up to them, shout in their faces while giving a whole lecture on how I’m living my life, this is my future, and therefore I have control over it. If they want me to become a doctor, why didn't they become doctors themselves? I tell you, my family is weird.” Zaara smiles at the way I always talk too much. She thinks it's cute. But then she sighs. I know it's because I don’t want to open up to my parents. As we walk in silence, I can start to see the row of houses in my neighborhood. “Can you cover for me again today? I got dance lessons.” I look at Zaara pleadingly. “Ok, fine. I’m such a nice friend, I know.” I snort. “Yeah, because were both such dedicated students and we work hard.” I say in a sarcastic tone. “The only thing is, I’m actually smart!” Zaara grins and tells me. I crack up and hug my best friend. 

Inside my house, I tell my parents I’m going to mathletes again. My mom happily smiles at me and says that I’m such an obedient girl. Ha ha. I quickly change in my room to my pale blue leotard and cover it all up with sporty baggy clothes. I run out of the house because I’m about to be late. “Bye! See you at 6!” I shout on the way. 

An hour later

“And for our last exercise today - a freestyle dance with an arabesque used as as an ending. Everyone get away from the barre and come to centre position. We will only have one person do it today though, because we don’t have that much time. Let’s have Lyra today. Lyra? Is that ok with you?” Sasha asks. Sasha is an amazing ballet dancer and instructor. Rumor has it that she mastered cheerleading and ballet at the same time when she was 9. Say what?

“Uh yeah sure, that's fine with me.” I respond. I start with a slightly crouched and slumped position and make it a more graceful wavy move. The music is slow, so I drag myself across the floor. No leaps this time, but I do manage to show off my talent with a triple turn. At the end, I walk slowly to the corner of the floor and do an arabesque. Other students, Sasha, and the pianist clap for me. I blush a little, and sit with my other girl-mates. Not that I know any of them. At the end of the class, Sasha stops me and tells me she wants to have a little chat with me. Uh-oh. Does she know what I’m hiding from my parents? Am I getting on trouble? 

But that isn't what she wants to tell about this time. “Lyra Dixon. Very nice little show today.” She says. “You’ve been selected to enter a dance competition. Other schools and studios will be participating, but since you’re so good, you might actually win.” Sasha smiled at me. Wait. What, really? Me in a dance competition? Sasha goes on. “It’s on Friday at 7 AM. It’s Monday today, so you have 4, 5 days to practice. You better do well.” I’m speechless. “Oh, and another thing. Bring your parents with you.”

Uh-oh.

April 16, 2021 22:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

47 comments

Antonio Jimenez
06:28 Sep 22, 2021

Hey Coco, I don't know if you're still on Reedsy but I just came out with my first story in months and would love for you to check it out and give me some feedback. Just trying to connect with all those who have given me advice in the past.

Reply

Coco Longstaff
21:59 Sep 29, 2021

Hey Antonio! Sorry, Ive been offline for some time. Of course, I would love to read your story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:13 Jul 27, 2021

Heyyy

Reply

Coco Longstaff
20:41 Jul 28, 2021

Hii

Reply

B. W.
22:07 Jul 28, 2021

Sorry for not talking with you for a while, I've gotten a bit busy n stuff. How have you been doing though?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Coco Longstaff
20:41 Jul 28, 2021

Hii

Reply

Coco Longstaff
20:27 Jul 29, 2021

No no me 2 I am pretty happy bc it is finally summer vacation. I have just been bodyboarding and stuff You?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

HULLO. HULLO

Reply

Coco Longstaff
08:13 Jul 07, 2021

Hiiiii Has summer vac started for u yet?

Reply

Hii Yup :DD U?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
14:20 Jul 06, 2021

Cool! Great cliffhanger. I will surely check out the second part with your friend soon... Do you want an in-depth review for this/any of your other stories (check my bio for it)?

Reply

Coco Longstaff
22:29 Jul 06, 2021

Thanks so much! I actually didnt write a P2 yet.. Should i?🤔 Oh no, all reviews are optional ^-^ But if you want to read one of my best stories, i would recommend Criminal or Geostorm

Reply

Dhwani Jain
06:35 Jul 07, 2021

Yeah..please do write a second part. Sure, I'll check 'em out soon!

Reply

Coco Longstaff
08:14 Jul 07, 2021

Ok! Cool!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
17:44 Jul 04, 2021

I will read this story soon! Also, 😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

Reply

Coco Longstaff
07:34 Jul 05, 2021

Haha thankss

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Honey Bragdon
02:57 Jun 12, 2021

I like the Story

Reply

Coco Longstaff
21:28 Jun 12, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Plz sign my petition to help save helpless cows and spread the word: http://chng.it/tmwTRXTcgq

Reply

Coco Longstaff
22:13 Jun 05, 2021

Of course!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Moon Lion
05:35 May 09, 2021

I read your bio! :)

Reply

Coco Longstaff
11:53 May 09, 2021

Heh cool Do u think we have anything in common?

Reply

Moon Lion
21:30 May 09, 2021

Well, like you, I adore summer (not winter so much), I like the colour red. Camouflage is one of my favourite patterns, and I support the same causes as you!

Reply

Coco Longstaff
07:44 May 10, 2021

Ooo!! Yes! I love the waves in Miyazaki! (Japan) Hehe cool!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Coco Longstaff
11:54 May 09, 2021

Also good luck with your last year in IB! Hope u get in the program… What are your interests?

Reply

Moon Lion
21:29 May 09, 2021

Thanks! I love reading, writing, drawing, I'm a martial artist and I love biology lol. What are your interests?

Reply

Coco Longstaff
07:45 May 10, 2021

Martial arts! Wow! What is your belt color? I like cars and music My motto for school is “disobey the rules” so yeah, I’m kinda a rebel but not rly, cuz i love school but I hate some teachers…i guess this is what you would call mixed feelings?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
23:13 Apr 23, 2021

This was great! I love the description of Zaara. One suggestion I have is to try and show, not tell. Rather than giving the reader details straight up, maybe let them see the character's personality through their actions. Other than that, I loved it!

Reply

Coco Longstaff
02:40 Apr 24, 2021

Hm.....Gret advice! Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Coco Longstaff
02:40 Apr 24, 2021

Hm.....Great advice! Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Hey Coco! Again, incredible storyyyy reedsy twin! So proud of u and Inara! Keep it up!

Reply

Coco Longstaff
06:52 Apr 22, 2021

awww thanks a lot twin!!! U too!

Reply

Of course!!! :D TY!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cookie Carla🍪
18:56 Apr 20, 2021

Heyo!! Can you read my story "Sign of a Haunt"? It was the first story last week that I threw out because I had HORRIBLE Writer's Block😭. I think it turned out pretty great and I'd love to get feedback :DD 😎

Reply

Coco Longstaff
21:09 Apr 20, 2021

Hello! Yay of course! Oh ya speaking of writers block, i can totallly relate. I think at least every writer has one time in their life where they have it, right? Hehe thanks

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
21:14 Apr 20, 2021

Yeah!! This morning I woke up with a brilliant idea for a poem... by the time I got to a computer I BLANKED😭😭 So far I've written like 45% of it. I want a big reveal at the end and I gotta build up the tension a little.

Reply

Coco Longstaff
21:25 Apr 20, 2021

Hehe well then, good luck!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
S. Asad
04:09 Apr 19, 2021

I love how the story unfolds with Lyra's love for dance. At times she may get a bit rude to her parents. And lets not forget the ending though. P. S. Would you mind stopping by my profile?

Reply

Coco Longstaff
05:06 Apr 19, 2021

Thank you so much! Oh, of course!

Reply

Coco Longstaff
05:11 Apr 19, 2021

Oh and also I put you in my bio so hopefully some of my followers will follow u too🙂 Writers work cooperatively, am i right?😅

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey coco! Its been too long!? How are u? I hope u havn't forgotten me:(

Reply

Coco Longstaff
21:20 Apr 17, 2021

Hey Varsha! Aw of course I remember u! I’m good, doing my school exhibition rn. Thing is, my teacher is super annoying. Exhibition is what WE do on our OWN and study on our OWN, but then our teacher just tries to come in and be in charge. (And its his first year!) He acts like he can own the place all the time, so I hate him. But.....How are you?☺️

Reply

:DD Thats a relief! Nice, ohh i see. LOL, good luck with that:) If u ever need anything, just let me know! I'm doing good:) working on my novel! do u have wattpad?

Reply

Coco Longstaff
05:06 Apr 19, 2021

Hehe thanks Ok!! Ooo I’m sure youre novel will be amazing Uhh no sorry dont have wattpad but i might be able to ask my mum if i can get it

Reply

NP!!! :DD Aww, thank you! Sure, let me know if u do get it. its free. no app required. I'll be posting my novel there.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Coco!!! Are u there??? Its been so long my twin!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.