19 comments

Friendship Fiction Inspirational

“Stop sighing, it’s not gonna help in any way!” Yeva hissed.

Lidiya sighed again, her eyes looking dreamy as ever, popping another Cheeto in her mouth and wiping the smallest amount of cheesy dust on her fingers with a paper napkin. “I wonder how people can let their fingers be covered in this disgusting stuff and be happy eating this-”

“Apparently, no one eats Cheetos for lunch everyday like you do.” Yeva glanced at the wrinkled clothes in the corner, contemplating whether she should dry them on a hanger or leave them.

Lidiya nodded, “Stupid world, stupid society, stupid humans.” 

“Stupid money.” Yeva muttered under her breath.

Lidiya hummed, still aloof, “We’re the stupid ones.” She sighed again, “Why did we think following our dreams would lead us to somewhere bright?”

They’d talked about this too many times. Regretted it. Cried about it so much that there were no more tears left. 

“Whatever.” It was Yeva’s turn to sigh now.

It was a world of technology and money. Yeva and Lidiya lived in books. In stories printed in the past, forgotten, for no one read anymore. No one dared to imagine, afraid it might interest them, distract them from their numbers and codes.

Yeva could never fit the mould, no matter how much she tried. Life would have no purpose if Lidiya didn’t daydream.

“Be back by dinner. I need to find another part time job.” Yeva grabbed her jacket.

“Can I tag along?”

“No.”

Lidiya ignored her and put on her shoes.

They locked their lurky room and went out, glancing at the gloomy weather.

Yeva walked a bit faster. “I lied. I came for a walk.”

“I know.”

They had tried their best to hide the fact they’re not like the rest of the people but the news broke out anyway. People looked at them with pitiful stares, as if they were beggars.

They strolled beside a lake, straining their neck to have a look of what lay ahead.

Lidiya huffed, having trouble keeping up with Yeva’s pace, “I need to tell you something.”

Yeva furrowed her brows, “This isn’t about you burning my clothes with your candles and incense sticks again, is it?

Lidiya shook her head, her face dimming. “I’m going to quit writing. And literature in general.”

Yeva stopped walking. Lidiya was her last hope. She possibly couldn’t quit literature for engineering, right?”

“I have no choice.” Lidiya’s dreamy eyes turned hazy, and she bowed her head, trying not to let tears form.

Yeva walked a bit faster, stone faced.

“Yeva, wait! Please.” Lidiya had to run to catch up.

She tripped on a stone, making both herself and Yeva fall.

“Just leave me alone!” Yeva sobbed, her face red with anger.

She sat down, looking at the tangled bush where her leg got stuck. 

“Yeva…” Lidiya pointed in the opposite direction, agape. 

An old house-like structure stood in front of them. But what astonished them the most was the sign outside it.

“You know what… nevermind what I said. There’s still hope.” Lidiya whispered.

‘Library’.

The weather got a bit more sunny than usual.

⊱ ━━━━.⋅ εïз ⋅.━━━━ ⊰

“Yeva.” Lidiya whispered, glaring at Yeva, while trying to maintain a gentle smile in front of the lady furiously staring at the pages of a copy of Kafka on the Shore.

Yeva got the hint and rushed towards the man entering the library in wonder, assisting him with the place.

There were a few people in the library, but the number was gradually increasing day by day.

“It’s happening.” Yeva grinned.

Lidiya maintained a smile, “I know.”

They sat down at the counter, sighing, but this time, with relief.

March 26, 2022 03:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Philia S
04:27 Mar 28, 2022

h e l l o Great story, as always! I would've liked to know more about the ~transformation~ process, tbh. XD But still, loved it! :D Also, although I haven't read Kafka on the Shore, it reminded me of Franz Kafka, lol. Remember him from the late night rants? XDD

Reply

Show 0 replies

Can a dwelling place without books ever truly be a home? -Michael D. O'Brien

Reply

Show 0 replies

Very nice. Things are looking up for Yeva and Lidiya. I would visit their library!

Reply

Basmati Rice
05:05 Mar 28, 2022

Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philia S
13:45 Oct 10, 2022

hola amiga when do we see a new stor the weathe is perfec and you migh jus get thrown out if you dont?

Reply

Basmati Rice
14:03 Oct 11, 2022

youre not gonna believe this i check reedsy everyday but i just cant write

Reply

Philia S
14:50 Oct 11, 2022

same mood relatable agreed :100%: ogn

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
06:28 Jun 09, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Basmati Rice
16:07 Jun 09, 2022

Thanks!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:55 Jun 07, 2022

Hey! Your writing is really cool. I didn't actually finish this story, just commenting so I can find it again. I will send you critiques when I'm done, if you want!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aiden Otaktay
20:06 Apr 28, 2022

"Cried about it so much that there were no more tears left." That hit hard. "She possibly couldn’t quit literature for engineering, right?" Wellll, if u have Asian parents then... 😅🥲 Fabulous story, Blue (if I can call u that) Luv ur username haha relatable.

Reply

Basmati Rice
00:59 May 10, 2022

HI DEAR thanks for reading! Yeah, one of the toughest confessions is to Asian parents about what you want to do in life... Really honoured you liked this story!

Reply

Aiden Otaktay
12:29 May 11, 2022

It was a pleasure <3 Ah, yes, I still couldn't build up the courage to tell my parents I wanna be a writer- when I was in middle school, they gave me two choices; a doctor or an engineer, nothing else TvT How do you know about Asian parents tho- are you an Asian too?

Reply

Basmati Rice
09:52 May 12, 2022

I KNOW RIGHT you get either a doctor, engineer, or lawyer as a choice and then you have to do mathematics and science and I just find it super complicated Yeah, I'm Asian too! lol

Reply

Aiden Otaktay
18:08 Jun 04, 2022

Science is okay, but mathematics? Man, don't get me started on mathematics- I just can't take that shoot for the life of me. :')

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philia S
06:45 Mar 28, 2022

Re-reading this because why not. "Lidiya nodded, “Stupid world, stupid society, stupid humans.” “Stupid money.” Yeva muttered under her breath." A g r e e d . Misanthropy ftw-say, which reminds me I need to go read Wuthering Heights asap-aDIOS

Reply

Basmati Rice
01:54 Mar 29, 2022

humans not nice #humansareoverrated

Reply

Philia S
15:01 Mar 30, 2022

agreed. homo sapiens is the worst species monkeys could evolve into smh

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.