1 comment

Fantasy East Asian

(Sequel to, Might as Well Have Been Wind in the Bells)

I stand peacefully in my grove of cherry blossoms, eyes closed as the petals fall on my face, soft and gentle as the morning breeze that blows them.

I sway slightly, trying to become one with the environment.

The soft green grass beneath my bare feet, the elegant trees surrounding me, even the simple home behind me.

The furin ring out, clear and sweet across my domain, the sound easily caught in my vulpine ears.

I turn swiftly around just as the warning chimes of my wind bells begin to echo and fade, but even then, I am too slow.

“Tachiro, long time no see,” Gekoto purrs, his red yukata drifting in the breeze, an aggravating smirk plastered on his face.

I scowl at the red haired kitsune, a gesture that causes his six tails to flaunt themselves almost unconsciously as if to remind me of their superiority.

My own white-blue tipped tails flare in agitation, but I do not pursue a challenge, "What do you want, Tatsuya?”

“Why so formal? I’ve been using your given name for a while now, feel free to use mine,” he says, looking about nonchalantly, catching a petal between his fingers and shredding it.

My lip quirks, “I have no desire to do so, and I doubt I ever will. Neither did I give you permission to use mine. Now I will ask again, what do you want?

Gekoto’s eyes glint sharply in the soft light of the sun and he looks down at me, taking advantage of his height, “don’t try using that tone on me. We both know you haven’t got what it takes, Five-tails.”

“Don’t patronize me,” I shoot back, “we both know you’re only one tail ahead, and that is a tail earned unfairly.”

The glint doesn’t leave Gekoto’s eyes and he smiles devilishly, the orange tips of his fiery tails twitching teasingly in the wind. “In true kitsune fashion. You might say it was earned more fairly than any of yours.”

“Don’t lump us all in the same boat Tatsuya, you know full well one kitsune’s interest may differ from another’s like salt water from fresh” I say, trying to retain my anger.

“Ahh yes, and does that make you a mountain spring Tachiro? You were raised amongst savages, and yet, I’ve never seen water purified so quickly.”

“What I do is of no importance to you,” I spit, my white ears now pressed against my skull, canines bared.

A breeze blows by, ruffling Gekoto's fiery red hair, “I’ll not tolerate that again Tachiro,” he says quietly, his smile gone, “so watch carefully where you step. In truth, I really don’t want to be here, at least not on these terms. But because of someone, I really don’t have a choice.”

I continue to glare at him, what is that supposed to mean? Then, getting an idea, a small smile flickers on my face.

I quirk an eyebrow, “You mean someone sent you here?”

Gekoto’s glare is unwavering as he reaches into a small pouch on his hip and pulls out a paper bag, tossing it at me, “If I could tear your throat out right now without violating code, trust me, I would.”

I nimbly catch the bag, curious and hesitant. “What’s this?” I ask, skeptically.

Gekoto’s looks away, seemingly no longer willing to look me in the eye. “A friend of yours sent it as some sort of gift, useless trinket if you ask me.”

I didn’t.

“I don’t have friends,” I say, nose twitching as I eye the bag at arms distance.

“Everyone knows you have at least one human house you visit, you’re not the best at lying by kitsune standards.”

I glare at him again over the top of the bag, those are pretty high standards.

“Well, whatever the case, this didn’t come from there,” I jab, uncomfortable with the fact that Gekoto knows what I’ve been up to. “The scent is entirely different….” I add to myself.

“Well, whatever the case,” Gekoto mimics, earning an agitated ear twitch from me, “I’ll be leaving, I can’t stand another minute in this region.”

“Show yourself out,” I mutter, still eyeing the bag, though I don’t miss the look Gekoto throws at me in return. I know I’m going to have to pay for this behavior later when a fight is within code, but for now, I could care less.

Gekoto turns to leave, but pauses on his way out, “One last thing, Tachiro,”

I look up a sour expression on my face, why does he always feel the need to give words of advice? I swear, he’s either trying to pick a fight with me or trying to give advice, there’s no in-between. He really doesn’t make much sense on a whole at all.

He takes my silence as encouragement to continue, “A freely given tear holds more power than any stolen one ever could.” And with that, he vanishes into the falling petals, not even a footprint left behind on the grass to document him ever being there.

I blink in surprise, what on earth was he talking about?

Shrugging, I open the top of the bag and peek inside. There’s something wrapped in soft white tissue paper, but from this viewpoint it’s hard to tell what.

Determining it as harmless, even though it was delivered by Gekoto… I pull it out of the bag. Unwrapping the small fist-sized item, I stare at it in my palm for a moment.

It’s a delicate blue and white china teacup, identical to the one that that Hunter broke the other—

All the pieces suddenly come crashing together and I can’t help but burst out in laughter, albeit thoroughly confused, laughter all the same.

I also notice a small note amongst the wrapping. The scrawl seems hesitant and uncertain, as if the author was wondering whether or not they should be doing this, and the note only makes me laugh more.

“Thanks for the tear, it came in great use, I was in a bit of a tight spot with a Jorogumo but was able to call on some help thanks to you. Sorry I broke your cup, hope this compensates somehow.”

There are tears pouring down my cheeks now. I had no idea that the tear I gave to that Hunter really held that much power.

It must have called Gekoto into her service somehow.

I can’t do anything but stand here and continue to laugh as the whole situation seems to become more and more ludicrous.

Being called to a Hunter’s aid would be really demeaning for Gekoto, but additionally having to deliver a simple package? And to me of all things? A lower kitsune? And the cause of his forced service?

His pride must have taken a real beating this last little while.

I sigh, wiping tears from my face and calming down slightly though still grinning at the cup in my hands.

I’ll accept it, I've been needing a replacement anyway.

I turn and walk into my home, coming to kneel at my low table and setting the new cup down with my tea set.

Maybe it wasn't such a bad thing that it was Gekoto and not the wind in the bells.

I chuckle, This has been a far more interesting morning than I predicted.



March 18, 2023 03:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

19:45 Mar 28, 2023

Excellent job on your story, I enjoyed reading it. You do such a wonderful job of making the scene real, by only adding little details here and there, without using too many or too few details. I'm impressed most writers (including myself) struggle with that! I can't wait to read more of your fantastic stories!! (≧▽≦)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.