5 comments

Adventure Science Fiction

This was the worst time to be in the marketplace. The evening crowd was out and they were hungry. The only reason she was here was because Ambassador Bnedy Kaine, special envoy from Earth, had insisted.

“It will be a unique experience,” he had said. “Instead of food trucks like on Earth, the shops have storefronts! You can sample their offerings and buy, or go inside for a sit-down meal. I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

Henal, being the ever-dutiful diplomatic escort, basically caved to the request. She was too tired to argue; too tired of reminding him of the important conference in the morning.

Bnedy had arrived at the space station Ambeyx-ada on the afternoon shuttle. After several hours of fussing over his quarters, he decided he wanted to explore the shops on the promenade rather than prepare for the conference.

The primary agenda for the conference was whether or not to admit Naddré to the Union. The Naddré, a snake-like species, was opposed because they distrusted the Kouda, who had built the station. But recent changes in the balance of power made Naddré an attractive addition to the Union. The real agenda was convincing the Naddré that joining would benefit them.

The station was positioned on the border of several alien territories and served as the center of government for the Union of Civilized Species. It was built by the Kouda during the Kouda Impasse, a cold war that nearly escalated to a massive conflict.

A Koudanees shop caught Bnedy’s attention and he stopped for the free sample. Henal had no interest, so she moved on to one featuring Ossarian cuisine.

Bnedy frowned slightly as he sampled a bite-sized piece of macha vahh. 

“It is not to your liking?” the shop vendor asked.

“It is not very crispy on the outside,” Bnedy said, wrinkling his nose. “There are not enough black kavahhs in the batter, and it’s rather bland.”

“You have a discriminating palate, my friend.”

Bnedy caught himself staring at the young woman’s neck, then hastily turned his attention elsewhere.

She touched the scar gently. “I see you’ve noticed my scar.”

“My sincere apologies, I didn't mean to be rude.”

“No apology necessary,” she said, bowing her head. “An unfortunate incident with a deep fryer. You may call me Imand, I am the owner of this humble shop.”

“Pleased to meet you, Imand. I am special envoy Bnedy Kaine from Earth.”

“The pleasure is mine, honored ambassador.” Imand gestured to the food on display, “These are but simple dishes for the undiscerning. If you wish to explore my shop, I may have something more to your liking.”

“I would be delighted!”

Bnedy followed Imand inside.

Henal put the last bite of zaipan into her mouth and glanced around for Bnedy. She nearly choked; he was nowhere in sight. Hastily swallowing and tossing her trash, she hurried over to the Koudanees shop where she recalled last seeing him.

“Excuse me,” she said to the vendor. “Have you seen a short, frumpy, dark-haired Human? I know he stopped here.”

The young person shrugged her shoulders and shook her head.

“Uh, okay, thanks,” Henal said. 

She frantically circled the area, fighting the crowds, looking for Bnedy. She peeked into at least a dozen shops hoping to find him. This was no way to end her career! Losing a diplomat was a very bad thing.

Henal found the constabulary in her desperate search, and tripped over the doorstep as she rushed in.

Constable Seycam Ramden glanced up and returned her gaze to some papers on her desk.

“May I help you?” she asked in a bored, disinterested tone.

“Yes!” Henal said, gasping for breath. “I have lost Ambassador Kaine!”

“The Embassy would have jurisdiction in this matter. It is four blocks east. I can provide you with directions, if you wish.”

“Please!” Henal begged. “This is very urgent!”

Seycam looked up from her paperwork. Her eyes softened a bit as she saw the desperation in Henal’s eyes.

“Tell me what happened,” Seycam said.

“Well,” Henal started, licking her lips. “He insisted on going to the marketplace, even though he had to prepare for the conference tomorrow. He said this one would be a unique experience. He has a liking for Koudanees food, but I only like Ossarian, so naturally we split up. But I was careful to stay close! When I turned around, he was gone!”

“Well, Ms…”

“Sorry! Exdrix. Henal Exdrix. I’m a diplomatic escort. This is my last assignment! I’m retiring.”

“That’s wonderful,” Seycam said, trying to put more enthusiasm into her response than she felt. “It must be very frustrating to have lost track of…”

“Ambassador Kaine.”

“Ambassador Kaine. But, this is a very busy time for the marketplace. People are out shopping for their evening meal. You’d be surprised how many people come in here because they ‘lost’ someone in the crowd.”

“But he is expected at a very important conference tomorrow!”

“I understand your concern. My guess is he wandered off and will show up at the Embassy later this evening. If you like, I can alert our street officers to keep an eye out for him.”

Henal’s face fell.

“I’m sorry, but that’s the best we can do. This does not appear to be suspicious, and we are backlogged with dozens of serious cases.”

Henal filled in ‘that are more important’ in her mind, knowing that’s what Seycam was really saying.

“Thank you. Here’s my card. Please call if you hear anything.”

Henal left the station and stood dejectedly on the sidewalk for several minutes. She had to call Swah sooner or later. Taking a deep breath, she pulled out her phone and dialed.

“Sandow,” a curt male voice responded.

“Swah, it’s Henal.”

“Hi, Henal. How is it going?”

“Well,” she started, gulping.

“What happened?”

“Um, he wanted to go to the marketplace, and now I can’t find him.”

“You lost the ambassador?”

“Um, yes? I looked everywhere. I stopped at the constabulary for assistance, but they weren’t much help.”

“You talked to a constable?” It came out as a simple question, but inside Swah felt panic.

“Yes, but they weren’t very interested in helping.”

“Okay, here’s what you do. I know a private eye named Fison. She’s very good. I’ll text you her address. Go and talk to her.”

“Thanks, Swah! I really appreciate it.”

Henal arrived at the office of Fison, PI. A nondescript office sandwiched among a long line of offices. The glass door had the name in bold, black lettering. She opened the door to the sound of a bell attached to the door frame.

A young woman sat behind a desk at the back of the small office. She looked up at the sound of the bell. Henal stopped and stared, noticing the woman’s neck.

The woman touched her scar gently. “I see you’ve noticed my scar.”

“I am so sorry!”

“No apology necessary,” she said, bowing her head. “An unfortunate incident with some hydrochloric acid. You may call me Fison, I am the owner of this humble agency. How may I help you?”

“I was recommended to you by my boss, Swah Sandow.”

“Ah, yes. Of the diplomatic corps. A very good friend. Please, tell me your story.”

“My name is Henal Exdrix, and I’m a diplomatic escort. My current assignment is Ambassador Bnedy Kaine from Earth. We were at the marketplace and I… seem to have lost track of him.”

“Yes, that does happen at the marketplace.”

“I looked everywhere for him and couldn’t find him! I stopped at the police station and they couldn’t help me!”

“No, that is true. They are far too busy with serious crime to be bothered. That is why I am here, and why Mr. Sandow sent you to me. Rest assured, I will find Ambassador Kaine!”

“Thank you so much! What do I owe you?”

“Do not concern yourself with that. Mr. Sandow and I have an arrangement.”

“Thank you! Here is my card. Please contact me as soon as you find out anything!”

“I will do that.”

Henal was feeling better after leaving the private eye’s office, and decided to stop for a late dinner at a nearby Ossarian diner. She had just taken her first bite of bacha and cheho when her phone rang.

“Hello?”

“May I speak to Henal Exdrix please?”

“Speaking.”

“Yes, I’m Detective Tonley Payhad with the Diplomatic Police Corps. I’m calling to inform you that Swah Sandow has been arrested on charges of first degree kidnapping and attempted murder.”

“Oh my god!”

“He has pled to lesser charges in exchange for critical testimony. He has disclosed the whereabouts of Ambassador Bnedy Kaine. We have dispatched officers to that location. We’d appreciate it if you could meet us here within the hour.”

“I’ll be there!”

The Diplomatic Police Corps office was practically empty when Henal arrived. One secretary seated behind a desk in the anteroom. Henal sat and fidgeted.

After an interminable wait, several people entered, including a very haggard-looking Bnedy Kaine. Among the group was the private detective she had spoken to, handcuffed. 

Henal jumped from her seat with joy and ran over to Bnedy, surprising him with a hug.

A stern looking officer approached her.

“Ms. Exdrix?”

“Yes.”

“I’m Detective Tonley Peyton. We spoke on the phone.”

“Yes!”

“We found the ambassador in the nick of time.”

“That’s great! But, this woman…” she pointed to the handcuffed woman, “I thought she was a private detective? Fison, I think her name is?”

“Her name is Imand,” Bnedy said. “The vendor at the Koudanees shop.”

“Actually,” Peyton said, “she’s part of Sandow’s espionage ring.”

“I am very grateful,” Henal said, “that you found him in time. At least I can retire without that hanging over my head!”

November 13, 2020 20:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Amanda C
01:37 Dec 04, 2022

Woah, this story has so many layers! The scar emphasis is intriguing. The story is quite immersive and leads us through the experience of being in the alien market. It gets a bit confusing toward the middle as I feel I’m running around looking for Bnedy with the other character too, and the interactions are brief between different characters so it’s a bit hard to keep track. However, overall a very enjoyable read! Thanks for writing this story, it helps us as readers get a feel for your writing voice.

Reply

Joe Sweeney
18:26 Dec 04, 2022

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
10:22 Mar 20, 2023

“snake-like species,” this straight away has me thinking of the space snakes episode of Rick and Morty. Nice double cross and the twist about who the PI was is good.

Reply

Joe Sweeney
19:01 Mar 20, 2023

Thanks for your review! I actually haven't seen the Rick and Morty show.

Reply

Graham Kinross
01:43 Mar 21, 2023

Despite taking a reputation hit because one of the guys involved turns out to be a creep it’s one of my favourite shows. He’s just one of many people who worked on it anyway.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.