1 comment

LGBTQ+ Fantasy Lesbian

Short Story Choice of Genre Writing Assignment - Fantasy 

It was just like every other Thursday evening in the castle; the king and queen stood strong among their people in the royal court, taking mind of the issues among their kingdom while the princess sat up in her room, laying on silk fitted bed sheets in a puffy purple gown with the most stunning floral embroidery, reading the royal lore. Nothing was unusual about this Thursday evening, until there were guards screaming in the courtyard. “Over there! Get her! Don’t let her get away!” Princess Edeline set her book down and rushed to her balcony, seeing what all the commotion was about. She looked down across the grounds, seeing guards surrounding a mass of green smoke, each of them looking utterly baffled. The princess stood there looking at everyone coming out of their homes to see what was going on, but became distracted when she heard a small crash from behind her while panel folding screen, followed by the same green smoke she saw outside. 

“Oh god, this isn’t my house.” Said the girl behind the green as she came around to the other side. She had the most beautiful long black hair, and skin a deep shade of green. She looked around until her cool grey eyes landed on the princess. “Nice place you got here.” 

“Who are you?” Edeline asked. 

“Ah, how rude of me.” She said, adjusting the hem of her skirt. “I’m Emmie.” She extended her hand out. The princess shook her hand lightly. “I’m Edeline.” 

“Already knew that, princess.” Emmie said, causing Edeline to feel a little embarrassed. Emmie dressed in mainly black, and she walked around the room with her head held high, as if there was no place she wasn’t worthy of being. It made Edeline feel intimidated. 

“How did you get here?” Edeline asked. 

“Little spell. I meant to go home but one thing led to another and POOF! I’m here, not there.” 

“Well, it’s lovely to meet you.” This catches her off guard. As if no one has ever found her presence to be a lovely thing. It made her smile a genuine smile, a smile she’d forgotten about ever having. 

“So what do you do around here for fun?” Emmie asked as she ran her fingers down the spines of the books scattered around the room. “Lots of reading, I assume.” 

“Yes, lots of reading. I have my lessons and classes, and all I have outside of that is my books. There isn’t a lot I can do outside of this room.” She sat down on the edge of her bed. Emmie never thought in a million years that someone of a royal family could be unhappy with their life. Having everything, never having to worry about money or having food. It sounded splended. 

“Edeline?” Emmie began. “Would you like to leave the castle for a few hours?” Being called by her name, not princess, gave Edeline a feeling she’d forgotten. It made her feel less than what she was. Like she wasn’t just the daughter of the king, but like she was a person. 

“I’d love to.” 

“Excellent.” Emmie went over to her, taking her hand in hers, and just like that with a few words, there was a puff of green smoke, and they were gone. 

It’s been a year since the day that Edeline and Emmie met by chase, maybe even by fate. Every night now, they ran off to a cottage in the forest just outside the kingdom. They came after Edelines bedtime of eight o’clock, and left before her classes began at seven o’clock the next morning. They did this every day for a year, 365 days exactly. It became a haven for the girls. A place where they could be free from the thoughts and expectations of those around them. When they were there they were nothing more than who they were. They’re titles they held were unable to pass the threshold. Edeline was not a princess, Emmie was not a witch, they were just people. Two joyful people in love feeling nothing but bliss. If only the girls would have know it would end so soon. 

“She’s in here!” One of the palace guards was looking through the window of the cottage, seeing Edeline and Emmie laying there together petting the stray cat they found in the kingdom that they took in. The king bursted through the door. 

“Edeline, what have you been doing here? With her?” He yelled. “This girl is very dangerous!” Edeline tightened her grip on Emmie’s hand. 

“No, father, she’s not.” She said. “She is the single kindest person I have ever met.” The king noticed their hands, their fingers entertwined, how the cottage only held one bed rather than two. It then hit him that his daughter had a secret, a secret he deemed impure. 

“I love her, father.” Emmie scooted closer to her. “Please, father, just try to understa-”

“No!” He interrupted. “This cannot go on! You are to be betrothed to the price of the kingdom across the sea. The prince!” A tear slid down Edeline’s cheek. 

“But father-”

“Enough!” He glared harshly into Emmie. “You are to never return to the kingdom.” He grabbed Edeline’s wrist, pulling her away to the carriage outside. Just like that, they were torn from each other, and just like that, two hearts broke in unison. 

Ten years later Edeline was married to the price of the kingdom across the sea, Prince Christpoher. They lived out their life ruling over both their kingdoms side by side, helping each other with any issues their people faced. They were a wonderful team and a lovely pair, but there was something missing. An aspect of love that they couldn’t feel for one another, but other women that they were torn from for this very marriage. It made them resentful of each other at times, but they were still together, feeling more like good friends rather than lovers. 

Adeine wandered through the castle, standing in what was once her bedroom. It was never changed from the way it once was, how it was when she felt that everything in her life was at peace. She sat down on her bed, running her fingers over the dressed set that she no longer fit into now that she was older. Out of what seemed like thin air, a cat came running across the room. Edeline stoot up, walking over to see the animal, She picked it up and recognized the colors of it’s fur. The cat her and Emmie once cared for. Her sweet little Nightingale. 

“Oh, I’ve missed you more than you could possibly know, my love,” She said as the cat purred in her arms. 

“I’ve missed you, too.” Said a voice from behind her. She turned around, and there she was. Her green skin, her black hair shorter now, her voice still as sweet as honey. Edeline was in shock. She almost didn’t believe that it was real. “Are you going to say anything?” Edeline ran over and fell into her arms. They stood there melting into each other just as they used to. 

“I love you.” Edeline said. 

“I love you, too.” Emmie replied. They stood there, her hands in hers, looking at each other as if it was the first time they'd ever seen one another.

“Come with me.” Emmie said. “Back to the cottage. Back to our home. Just you, me, and Nightingale.” Edeline didn’t know what to say. “We’ll be happy.” Edeline nodded. Emmie released a long breath, letting her shoulders drop and her body relax as if she’d been holding this in for so long. 

“I’ll go get my things.” Edeline said, but Emmie stopped her.

“Allow me.” With the wave of a hand and a puff of green smoke, her bag were backed and sitting on the bed. 

“I need to leave something for Christopher.” Edeline said. She took a pen and parchment from the dresser drawers and began to write. I’m finally going after my happily ever after, it’s time you go after yours. She removed her ring and set it down on the paper, leaving it there for him to find. And just like that, with a puff of green smoke, they were gone. 

January 08, 2021 14:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Jexica Marcell
17:41 Jan 14, 2021

Loved the creativity!!!!! Im totally following you! Keep writing!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.