250 comments

Inspirational Happy

Shoutout to Blxxii for caring about me and inspiring this story<3

Who am I?

Gasping for breath, I burst out from the water, begging to stay afloat for a few more seconds. I donโ€™t know why Iโ€™m in the water, or why I am fighting for my life in the ocean.

As my blurry sight gradually focuses, I catch the smell of smoke and turn my aching head towards the mess of a mast that was left of the ship, and splinters of wood that cracked and groaned.

As I tilt my body, I realize what just happened, and temporarily canโ€™t move from the frozen icicles that are my legs; the hypothermia is setting in.

Itโ€™s too quiet on the sea, and I canโ€™t focus on the report Iโ€™m writing, so I decide to go on deck, with my best mate. As I breathe in the oceanโ€™s salty scent,ย  I hear a voice; must be my best mate.ย 

โ€œCome over here, will ya?โ€

Of course, I move towards him and study his face. He was always hard to read. He seems as distracted as I am, with an unsettling amount of seriousness embedded in his words. The pipe in his mouth does nothing to muffle his speech.

โ€œWhatโ€™s wrong?โ€

Thatย  must be my voice; how different it sounds.

โ€œI dunno. But something feels...off.โ€

I agreed with him.

The waves bang on the hull of the ship, attempting to break in again. I wince as the wood emits a different sound, not of sturdy defense, but of frightened reapproach, threatening to give way. Alramed, I hurriedly move towards my mate; I canโ€™t remember his name.ย 

โ€œWhat?โ€

I glance at the hull again, then speak, the swaying of the ship growing more intense.

โ€œI-I think the hull is- AAHHH!โ€

With a great screech, the waves finally crack the hull, and the ship breaks in two. Splinters flew into my face and palms, the relentless wood sinking into my body. Tossed into a vortex of wood, water, and more water, I remember my training as an Olympic swimmer and straightened my body, managing to get tossed into the calmer waters. The pipe my friend had been smoking set the whole vessel a flame, then a stray piece of wood decided to knock me out.

Soโ€ฆ

I donโ€™t know what I should do, so I start swimming, moving. I canโ€™t stay still forever.

I decide on using Freestyle swimming, as it will keep my body warm.ย 

Stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe. Stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe.ย  Stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe.ย 

Why am I on a ship with my best friend?

Stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe.ย 

I...I wanted to see my parents. In England? Yeah, in England.

Stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe. Stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe.ย 

But why did the ship crash? What do I do now? Iโ€™ve trained as a professional survivalist, but I havenโ€™t learned ocean survival yetโ€ฆ Oh lord, what do I do?ย 

Changing to back swimming, I watch the clouds fly by, the occasional seagull pass, and sometimes a plane. I know itโ€™s hopeless to yell for help now. My body is freezing cold, despite the Freestyle warming it up a little bit.

Splash, Splash, Splash.

Changing to a frog paddle, I looked at the colorful fish swimming around me, and wished that I could be one of them, blissfully swimming in the blue waters.

Stroke, Dive. Stroke, Dive.

I feel the feeling in my arms and legs give away, and know that my face and body will follow.

Splash. Splash. Stroke, Splash.ย 

โ€œOUCH! Damn- Coral-โ€

I cut myself on a piece of coral, and blood was spilling out of the wound.

Coughing, I try to stay afloat, the world spinning around me.

Iโ€™mโ€ฆ

Iโ€™m fading.ย 

I canโ€™t go on anymore.

Iโ€™m sorry, Mum and Dad.

Sorry, m-mate. Hope you're still hanging on, unlike me.

Goodbye, Olympics. Goodbye, life.

I wish I could go on longerโ€ฆ

But my body has given up.

I pound the water in frustration, not feeling anything at all. Crimson stains the water.ย 

Sharks will come anytime soon.

Whatโ€™s the point? I think, sobbing bitterly, my tears adding to the sea that will be my grave.

Iโ€™m gone anywaysโ€ฆ

Warmth.

I feel my body regaining control, and wonder if Iโ€™m in the after life. Then I feel the bodies, the bodies pushing me forwards. I strain to see who is doing this and find six dolphins, all urging me on, encouraging me to never, ever give up.

And I donโ€™t.

Clinging on to them, I relax in their presence for hours, maybe even days.

Then an island appears. A real island. I rub my eyes and look- itโ€™s still there, solid and real.

I hug the dolphins that saved my life, and whisper

โ€œThank you.โ€

Even though they canโ€™t understand, they look at me with glassy eyes and carry me onto the island.

I canโ€™t describe how grateful I am.

As I walk on the sandy ground, the dolphins fly away, like angels, moving smoothly back to their home. I watch them, and wonder if they have saved other shipwrecked sailors before. That they were not doing this for the first time.ย  I think about this, and soon realize just how hungry I am.

โ€œMaybe I can scourge some coconuts?โ€ I say; no one can hear me anyway.

As I scan the land, my eyes find some backpacks tucked near the trees, and open them.

Water, water, food(apples and bananas), and paper.

Thank you guysโ€ฆ!

If people were here before, then the shore must be nearby!

I laugh in relief and happiness- I can be saved- and eat the delicious fruits. You have no idea how yummy fruit tastes after youโ€™ve been in the ocean for many hours, your clammy hands threatening to fall off.

As I eat, the world closes its eyes and everyone falls asleep. Everyone except me, of course. I lay down, my wound throbbing but not bleeding.

As I go over everything that has happened, I know that I donโ€™t need to know who I am right now, or worry about the ship.ย 

All I need to knowโ€ฆ

Is why the stars are so beautiful here.

Dedicated to Lillian B. for how patient she is.

March 05, 2021 18:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

250 comments

18:02 Mar 17, 2021

What is your profile? (Sorry I am on a quest to watche very anime ever in history and *MIND BLOWN* don't know who your's is)

Reply

Show 1 reply

Hi there! If you have time, please upvote this writer. Her points got taken all away, and she was originally at 5,000, please help if you want to. (I understand if you don't wanna get involved into all the upvoting/downvoting.) Link: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/writer-maniac/# (Hope your doing okay <3)

Reply

Show 1 reply
18:17 Mar 05, 2021

B E A U T I F U L I like how you included the "stroke stroke stroke breathe" in between the story so the reader knows that the character is still swimming. The story flowed nicely and the ending was beautiful. You managed to fit in the story in between the intervals of "stroke stroke stroke breathe" without making it choppy which is amazing! The emotions in this story were perfect <3 SPECTACULAR JOB CEL!

Reply

A W W I got the Idea from quite a few novels XD <3333333 AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW THANK YOU SO MUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH<33333333333333333333333

Reply

20:00 Mar 05, 2021

XDDD <33333333333333333333333333333333333333 NO PROBLEMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM YOU DESERVE ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT <33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

Reply

<333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
15:29 Mar 23, 2021

Wth... im off the leaderboard.

Reply

Show 1 reply

A M A Z I N G S T O R Y and also THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING AND COMMENTING NICE THINGS AND LIKING MY STORYY :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
04:42 Mar 17, 2021

OMG there is soooooooo many KOTLC fans here!!!!! It like my paradise! KOTLC FOREVER!!!!!!!!!

Reply

15:39 Mar 20, 2021

YAAAAASSSSSSSS

Reply

Show 0 replies

Omg I love KOTLC!! Who your favorite character?

Reply

04:39 Mar 24, 2021

KEEFE SENCEN OBVIOUSLY!!!!!! i LOVE HIM SO MUCH HE IS AMAZING AND FUNNNY AND I JUST LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

OMG YES! He is totally my favorite!!! I

Reply

Show 0 replies

OMG YES! He is totally my favorite!!! I

Reply

18:43 Mar 24, 2021

YUUUUUUSSS HE IS THE BEST!!!!!!! How many KOTLC books have you read?

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:43 Mar 24, 2021

YUUUUUUSSS HE IS THE BEST!!!!!!! How many KOTLC books have you read?

Reply

I legit read the first 8 in a week. But I havnโ€™t been able to find a copy of Unlocked cuz they only sell it in hardback and I donโ€™t have any money XD. Wby?

Reply

Show 0 replies

I legit read the first 8 in a week. But I havnโ€™t been able to find a copy of Unlocked cuz they only sell it in hardback and I donโ€™t have any money XD. Wby?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Radhika Diksha
14:38 Mar 14, 2021

The new part is out. Would appreciate your comments on this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:34 Mar 13, 2021

โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR...

Reply

Show 1 reply

โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œโค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’œYOU ARE AN AWESOME A...

Reply

<333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

Reply

Show 0 replies

<333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey Celeste, just wanted to say something about the form you filled out in my bio! If you could do me a favor and fill out the form underneath the first one, read your character description, and give me feedback based on it! :) I want to make sure your character is what you want! (I may have to change some stuff later on depending on the story)

Reply

sureee! Would you like your brother to be someone in the story (list in the second form) or character you want to create? If character you want to create fill out the first form a second time it should let you :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Izzie Q.
12:21 Mar 12, 2021

hai!! omg this is so wonderful and I ADORE your writing style! this story had a really cool concept and i love itttttt hows your week been? its SO warm out where I am and thats very suprising! i've been drawing with chalk a lot lately hehehe

Reply

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Thanks so much <3 Great! IM FREEZING THO- Oooh! Cool!!!!

Reply

Izzie Q.
04:47 Mar 13, 2021

AHHH I WISH I COULD SEND YOU SOME SUNSHINE!!! Anything exciting happen today? I ate the BIGGEST STRAWBERRY EVER today!! it was huge and the size of my hand! Do you have any crazy produce stories? I like talking about mutated fruit hehehe

Reply

ME TOO Ooooooooooohhhhhh Luckyyyyyyyyyy I had a banana that was- HUGE Like, bigger than my whole lower armmmmmm!!

Reply

Izzie Q.
16:11 Mar 14, 2021

WHATTTTTT thats crazy omg I once had cotton candy grapes (look them up!!) and hmm they were really sweet lol

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:17 Mar 11, 2021

Beautiful muffin! and how can you seriously bake so good in every style of writing? XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
03:19 Mar 10, 2021

Hi there, Celeste! I've seen you around on Luke and Kate's (and I'm sure many other people's) bios, and I saw that you followed me, soooooo I decided to come over and say hi! Also, thank you for filling out my Reedsy Cast form! :D

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
03:21 Mar 10, 2021

SAMEEEEEE- I was thinking about it during History, so I ended up making the form straight after

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
02:27 Mar 09, 2021

i sorry that you don't feel so cheery this week. I have felt similarly recently also. If you ever wanna talk, I am kinda partially here sometimes, so we can...

Reply

TJ Squared
05:24 Mar 09, 2021

:))))))))))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
<inactive> .
15:09 Mar 23, 2021

YOOOOOOOOOO SIS NEW STORY OUTTTTT ๐Ÿฆ‹

Reply

Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
12:30 Mar 23, 2021

CELESTEEEEEEEE Check out my latest story, and read the comment I wrote hehehehehe :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
17:58 Mar 18, 2021

NARUTO!!!

Reply

Ari Berri
19:08 Mar 18, 2021

I'm only on season 6, but I love it!

Reply

OMG I LOVE IT HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AAAAAHH top 5 fav charcters?

Reply

Ari Berri
22:05 Mar 18, 2021

Kakashi, Shikamaru, Kiba, Gara, and Lee. Yours?

Reply

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Ight 1.Kakashi 2.Sakura 3.Gaara 4.Sasuke 5.Haku 6.Zabuza (I know this is plain characters, but I really don't have many favs XDDDD) oof- :333333

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.