26 comments

Inspirational Fiction Speculative

It was another glorious day at the Revitalizus Resort in sunny Barbados. The shaman’s young apprentice took his time trimming the bougainvillea bushes in the lush gardens surrounding the resort’s sparkling “adults only” pool. There was no need to rush. Islanders conserved their energy especially when it was well past noon. It was too hot to work fast.


The apprentice worked slowly. He liked to listen to the tourists to learn their language. Perhaps one day he might go to North America. It would be wise to be able to speak English.


Snip, snip, snip.


Between the snipping of the shears, the apprentice’s ears buzzed with the tourists’ incessant, silly chattering. They jabbered on more than monkeys. He didn’t really like the tourists all that much. Deep inside, they annoyed him, but he needed to learn to control that annoyance. Each week brought a new bunch of them. They were often so boisterous, becoming increasingly so with every new glass of rum punch, tequila, or long island iced tea that the pretty, brown-eyed Mathilde brought them. He loved Mathilde. He and she would enjoy lying down together when their shifts were over tonight.


Amongst the tourists, especially on the night they arrived, there would always be at least one super drunk who couldn’t get to a toilet fast enough. Such a drunk would trample across the flower beds, invariably fall into the bougainvillea, and wet himself, Served him right, of course. Those drunks, like the discarded plastic glasses or cigarette butts they flicked onto the lawns or into the garden soil, just meant more work for him and the grounds maintenance team. The team grumbled about it amongst themselves but always made sure they had big broad smiles for the tourists. Big smiles meant big tips. 


The apprentice knew it was wrong to resent the tourists; Barbados needed their dollars. But now, as he snipped, his eyes hidden by the shade of his dirty safari hat, he listened as an overweight middle-aged woman nudged the equally heavy woman beside her, yelling,


“See that Wendy? See that Hulk Hogan of a man over there near the bar? Now, if I had a man like that in my bed every night, I’d be complete. I’d be the happiest woman in the world!”


Sitting on her other side, her bleary-eyed, red-nosed husband scoffed,


“Yeah right, Shirley! Dream on. Nothing makes you happy except stuffing yourself with food. One look at you and Hulk would be gone faster than Flash Gordon!”


Her raucous husband and his buddies laughed and shared fist bumps. What a nasty sense of humor these men had, talking about their women that way. He would never talk like that about his beloved Mathilde.


Bolstered by his buddies’ inebriated support, Shirley’s hubby continued:


“Ah…now would you look at that gorgeous blond who just wandered over to join Hulk. Now, that’s more like it. See Shirley, if you just looked like that I’d be one completely happy chappy. Say, what’s that she’s rubbing onto his back?”


“Sunscreen…you stupid buddha-bellied loudmouth,” Shirley replied angrily. “And I did look like that before three children!”


“Aww, just getting a rise out of ya, Shirl, old girl. You can’t blame an old fella for wanting a woman like that rubbing sunscreen all over him. Right, boys?”


“Ha! You should be so lucky, Ralph,” said Wendy coming to Shirley’s defence. “A girl like that wouldn’t give you the time of day. You wouldn’t know what to do with her.”


“That’s what Viagra’s for, Wendy. No worries on that score,” Ralph replied with a drunken lascivious leer.


Hooded by his hat, the apprentice bristled at their exchange. He moved toward another bush as one of the other less-inebriated men of the group suggested,


“Hey, let’s not spoil such a beautiful sunny day. We’re here to have fun, right? You know, what you all are squabbling about just made me think of something. What’s the one thing each of us would want that would make us completely happy?”


“That’s easy. I’d love to unload that old Mercedes of mine and buy something newer,” said Don. 


“Newer, Don? You bought that Mercedes only 2 years ago!”


“Yeah, I know. But the newness is gone. Bored with it already. Can’t help wondering what it’d be like to drive a Maserati.”


“Not me,” said Bob. “No, what I’d love is to own my own Cessna. Imagine flying in that. Now that would be bliss.”


“Well, you can afford one, Bob, so why don’t you buy one?”


“Well, I can’t fly, remember? And I’m getting too old to learn. What about you Wendy? What would make you the happiest woman on earth?”


“Apart from never having to listen to you guys talk about women, cars, and planes? Well, to be honest, I’ve been dreaming about moving into that fancy new gated community in ValleyView Heights where they have those sprawling bungalows. We’re nearly empty nesters now, and I think now’s the time to move while we can still even move! I’m starting to feel my knees going up and down the stairs in our two-storey. Besides, it’s so darn dated. I can’t be bothered hunting up home-improvement companies who charge the earth to replace your bathroom taps, let alone renovate an entire kitchen. No thanks. Just the idea of moving into a lovely brand new home sounds heavenly to me.”


The apprentice snipped and listened. These people obviously had more money than they knew how to use. As wealthy as they were, it seemed they still didn’t know that constantly buying new things didn’t bring happiness. Sadly, neither did being poor like him and his family. He couldn’t even afford to buy Mathilde a cheap engagement ring.


His father had named his younger brother, Bentley, after a car he had seen in a magazine left by a tourist. Just 13, Bentley now cleaned miles of seaweed from the resort sands from morning till night for a lousy $5 a day. His sister, Miranda, danced at The Pink House. She also pleasured those lecherous tourist husbands who managed to sneak away from their wives while they were being pampered at the resort spa. And daily, his sun-wrinkled grandma sat on a hard wooden stool in her dusty little hill-top pottery shop hoping the mini-mokes might bring her a souvenir shopper or two. 


No, these tourists would never be happy for long. They would return to their fancy homes and expensive cars after a week or two of baking themselves under the Bajan sun, show off their peeling tans and tell everyone back home how good it was to leave their troubles behind and get away. Except whatever troubles they had would still be there when they got back. Their ultimate dreams would still fail to satisfy, even if they were fulfilled. Would these tourists ever know how lucky they were? He didn’t think so. The apprentice was young, but he already knew it took “not having” to appreciate “having”. 


The apprentice sighed, sweating beneath his hat. He had been working on improving his magical healing skills since he first realized he had them when his weary mother took ill. He nursed her back to health. His skills were good, but still not strong enough to take his loved ones away from here. That was the one thing that would make him completely happy. He couldn’t do that for his family yet, but perhaps he could at least teach these tourists a thing or two about appreciating what they have.


The apprentice put down his clippers, wiped his brow, and concentrated. His powers were for healing, but there was also another side to those powers. It was that somewhat darker side on which he now focussed. As he did, he felt himself growing angry at the tourists and his own limited powers. His brow furrowed beneath his sweat-stained hat. There was a churning, a rumbling growing within him as he summoned and directed his magical powers skyward.


Suddenly, a lobster-pink Shirley looked up at the sky and shrieked:


“Shit! Aww shit no! Look at those damn clouds moving in? Our sun has disappeared. Don’t tell me it’s going to rain on our holiday! We paid a fortune to come here. This is going to spoil everything!”


As Shirley continued to wail, the winds picked up and black clouds moved down from the mountains and across the pool. Half-filled plastic glasses blew off the tables, littering warm steaming patios. Thunder rumbled and lightning flashed. The skies opened drenching everything and everyone beneath them. The tourists scrambled to grab their iPhones, Raybans, Gucci beach bags, and sandals, knocking over chairs as they fled the angry storm. 


Up in the dried-out hills, the islanders stood in the rain and welcomed its revitalizing wetness on their hot, upturned faces. Oh, how they’d prayed for rain to water the parched earth and their wilting crops. They felt blessed.


And the young apprentice shaman smiled. His powers were indeed strengthening. 


March 09, 2023 17:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Michelle Oliver
00:21 Mar 19, 2023

Hi Viga, I deliberately left this one to last, because it is the one that departed from your usual style. I like your third person narration. The story was so well written with lovely layers of meaning. ‘Have and have not’ is pretty obvious. The selfishness of the haves and being totally oblivious to those who have less. ‘Entitlement’ and the idea that because you have money the whole work owes you something, even the weather should respect the fact that this is a paid vacation and not ruin it with rain, I wonder can you get a refund for...

Reply

Viga Boland
03:38 Mar 19, 2023

Wow…I don’t think anyone on Reedsy has ever left me such a comprehensive take on any of my stories. Even I learned something about my story from you. Thanks so much for devoting so much time to this one, my first bit of creative fiction. Now I wonder if I’ll ever find the courage or be inspired enough to try my hand at fiction again. This was hard in comparison to my usual style and genres which flow a lot more easily from this aging 77-yea-old brain. I must thank you most sincerely for honouring me as you have by reading all my stories. I...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
04:01 Mar 19, 2023

Stay well and don’t stress about reading anything unless you want to. Take the time to be selfish and put your needs and hubby’s needs before anyone else’s. Mourning, is very unique to each person and it’s important for you to honour it and your brother in law, in every way that you need to. Don’t ever feel bad about that. Sending you lots of love.

Reply

Viga Boland
12:09 Mar 19, 2023

Thanks hon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Joe Sauers
06:33 Mar 18, 2023

This story is fascinating, the contrast between the doers and the non-doers in a succinct study of how they are a reflection of each other. It made me think of Quiet by Susan Cain. Too much to analyse here but basically how reserved power can go unnoticed, yet still be all-encompassing. The Shaman’s Apprentice is a brilliant read. 😁

Reply

Viga Boland
13:02 Mar 18, 2023

Thanks so much for reading this piece and your subsequent comments. I appreciate your attention to this one as it’s a complete departure from my usual style which is humor/dialogue and usually non-fiction based on fact. What I’m saying is this is a first attempt at fiction in over 7 years: I had convinced myself I’m lousy at fiction! So, I am very grateful for your encouraging words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
19:25 Mar 13, 2023

Absolutely delightful and eternally wise, Viga. It's a lot like youth being wasted on the young - the shaman possessed another great power beyond dousing the ugly tourists with mother nature's finest, he appreciates what he has. They say if you can focus on your haves and not your haven'ts, it is enough. And it usually is. My father joined the Peace Corps after he retired from business. He lived with a host family and taught 8th grade equivalent English to the children. He subsisted on fish with lime juice and rainwater martini's but h...

Reply

Viga Boland
20:48 Mar 13, 2023

Awww….your last comment gave me a very needed boost of confidence. Thanks so much. Also enjoyed that bit of history re your dad. Validates my story even more. I am now truly pleased that I dared to give fiction a try again after telling myself for years that I can’t write fiction. Maybe that Shaman has worked some magic on me too. Or maybe it’s just the wonderful support for my writing that I’m finding here at Reedsy. My pen has been on vacation way too long 😉

Reply

Susan Catucci
21:32 Mar 13, 2023

I agree, Viga - your pen belongs in your capable hand. I can honestly say I've improved beyond expectation (my own) since joining, and it's such a pleasure to share growth and admiration as others do the same. It's a pleasure.

Reply

Viga Boland
21:35 Mar 13, 2023

👌✌️👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
22:01 Mar 12, 2023

It's easy to recognize that wealth does not bring happiness or contentment, as you show here, but I love that you included the flip side that "Sadly, neither did being poor like him and his family." Though he also is not content, I think it is a lot easier to understand or sympathize with the discontent of the poor, particularly when economic inequality is so extreme. For me, that does not read as him being hypocritical. I've not been to the islands, but you brought them to life really well. I will say that they are the perfect place for a...

Reply

Viga Boland
22:31 Mar 12, 2023

Thanks so much, Laurel for your comments and observations. It is very flattering to have somebody of your calibre recognize my writing as you have done here. And if I’ve been able to enlightened you and others to live on the island just a little more, then that’s awesome. I must confess that just a bit of a story angle came from our vacations in the islands when we were younger. We loved speaking with the Islanders and learning how they live. Unless you do that, most tourists don’t really get an idea of what their lives are like. We spent ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
15:10 Mar 11, 2023

Thanks Viga. Great story. Those beautiful tourists were well observed. Loved how the story ended with the tourists complaining about the rain and the local farmers welcoming the rain. Good story. Thanks for writing.

Reply

Viga Boland
15:15 Mar 11, 2023

Thanks so much for your comments Stevie. Yes, that ending “made” the story writing process worth it to me, especially since this is my first attempt at fiction. I have always been a non-fiction writer after convincing myself I couldn’t write fiction LOL. I’m looking forward to reading your story too and will get over there soon.

Reply

Stevie Burges
15:24 Mar 11, 2023

thanks, Viga. Keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
09:46 Mar 11, 2023

This was a well-crafted tale that had a lot of deeper issues brought out. I think my favorite theme was that of the human condition: no matter what our station in life, we will always want more. The apprentice is a case in point. You did a fine job of showing his hypocrisy. He detested the rich people who couldn't be happy, no matter what they had, and he showed himself to be the same, albeit on a different level. The distinction between how the rain was received by the disparate groups was a validation of your theme. That was a nice touch, ...

Reply

Viga Boland
12:38 Mar 11, 2023

Thanks for your very astute observations Delbert. You zeroed in on what I felt was most important and intended to portray. As someone who has never believed in her ability to write creative fiction, I am pleased with your assessment of my skills.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
15:58 Mar 10, 2023

I really enjoyed this. Less obvious but still in keeping with the theme of haves vs. have nots, I thought it was interesting that the apprentice lived in paradise and had full-time work, but he was not happy, either. Always, we want something other than what we have. :) Great story, Viga, and I think you can write fiction, after all - clearly! :) One small fix before the close of the week: ...said Wendy coming to Shirley’s defence. ["]A girl like ..." (I think you need a quotes there.)

Reply

Viga Boland
16:13 Mar 10, 2023

Thanks for catching the missing “ , Wendy. Don’t know how I missed that. Even more surprising is that Grammarly didn’t catch it. Makes me wonder if I had made a change there and then forgot to put it back in. Whatever the case. Thanks for noticing. Appreciate that. As for the theme, that’s an interesting observation that you have made on the shaman living in paradise, and still not happy just like the rest of us. Just speaks to the infinite human condition doesn’t it? Doesn’t matter what we have or what we’ve achieved, we’re never happy. I...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KT George
14:13 Mar 10, 2023

I enjoyed the island's imagery, the apprentice's thoughts, and his view into the world of the average and spoiled. Those tourists could be any one of us in our day-to-day lives, taking everything for granted and oblivious to those around us who work invisibly to keep things looking pristine. The symbolism of the storm coming to wash it all away and bring relief to those who can appreciate the simpler things was perfect.

Reply

Viga Boland
15:02 Mar 10, 2023

Thanks so much for your observations KT. Your interpretation is on the money, and the whole point of the story. This story is sort of special to me. For once, it’s not factual…a real departure for me as I think you realize. I had to write this to prove to myself after years of saying ‘I can’t write fiction” that I CAN write fiction. It was a challenge and I enjoyed it. I hope others on Reedsy will too. Coming up next in this same round of prompts, the Banters of 50 years ago. I think you’ll have a good chuckle with “Love at first sight bu...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
V. S. Rose
01:18 Mar 10, 2023

Great story Viga! I think many vacationers can relate to this story - seeing the staff at the resorts working hard while they complain about trivial things. And the rain at the end, how the islanders welcome it but the tourists despise it, is symbolic of the one of the themes (I think) of appreciating the small things in life. It's really so true, because in the end all of the striving never quite fulfills us, there is always something more to strive for. We can never truly become happy, we can only be happy. And I think realizing this pav...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
22:24 Mar 09, 2023

Well, good for you, Viga! This has so much truth in it. We often have so much and are still not grateful. Great use of prompt.

Reply

Viga Boland
23:24 Mar 09, 2023

Thanks a million Mary. Writing this piece of fiction was truly an experience for me since I so long ago convinced myself I can’t write fiction. So I appreciate any positive feedback anyone can give me on this one. Thanks for being one of the first to do so and I’m glad that you like the truth it expresses.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
17:57 Mar 09, 2023

Viga, cool story. wrong to resent the tourists - they couldn't appreciate what they had. His skills were good, but still not strong enough to take his loved ones away from here. That was the one thing that would make him completely happy. - he knew what he was missing and was grateful for what he had. His skills were honed well. Excellent job Viga. LF6.

Reply

Viga Boland
18:23 Mar 09, 2023

Thanks Lily. This is my first attempt at fiction in over 7 years. I’ve told myself all those years that I cannot write fiction, and had given up on myself. But I am pleased with what I came up with here, and the nicest comments have already come from my husband, who is an avid reader, and my daughter. Both of them said this sounds like the prologue or the first chapter of a novel. Well, I have no intention of writing the novel but I sure enjoyed writing the short story. Now I just hope that other Reedsy readers and writers enjoy my foray int...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.