Contest #142 winner 🏆

What You Can Do With Your Book

Submitted into Contest #142 in response to: Start your story with someone being given a book recommendation.... view prompt

272 comments

American Funny Friendship

You present me with a gift bag as if legions of angels will descend, trumpeting your thoughtfulness in remembering my [insert celebratory event here]. 

I’m gracious, of course. 

You shouldn’t have!

And I mean that. You shouldn’t have. Because now you are stepping over the line. 

We are simply:

  1. co-workers 
  2. mothers with children at the same school 
  3. neighbors with dogs 
  4. old-friends-from-college, or 
  5. spouses-of-old-friends-from-college. 

Regardless, we are not on gift-bagging terms. Especially the kind you immediately re-gift to other peripheral friends: scented candles, cheap chocolates, fuzzy socks, calendars, coffee mugs.

You shouldn’t have!

Because now I need to remember if you were born in March or April. I need to invite you to lunch at the Cheesecake Factory and overpay for complicated chicken salads and Diet Cokes. We will debate for a nanosecond about ordering a slab of artery-strangling dessert. We will joke about cheesecake being high in dietary protein. Yet when the waiter returns from clearing our half-eaten salads, we will trill together in unison: Oreo Dream Extreme Cheesecake! (What’s a little heart disease amongst gift-bagging friends?)

You shouldn’t have!

I’m holding the gift bag in my hands, both of us standing with frozen smiles on our faces. 

Now what?

You are expecting me to open the gift bag—like there isn't a googolplex of more important things that I need to attend to. But who am I to hold up the unveiling of your selfless act of generosity? 

Let’s just open up the frickin' bag, shall we?

Since you coughed up $13.99 for one of Hallmark’s finest, I take my time, appraising the bedazzled foil and colorful ribbons, as if it were the work of a 19th century Post-Impressionist. As expected, animal-related puns are splattered across the front: “Thinking of Ewe!” “Feline Fine!” “Let’s gopher a drink!”

Isn’t that clever? We both agree that it is.

Between forced chuckles, I wonder when we, as a society, quit taking the extra four minutes to thoughtfully wrap presents? At what point did we, collectively, agree that it was socially acceptable to shove gifts into a bag, not even bothering to remove the clear plastic hanging tag? And as a follow up, what’s the point of gift bags for wine?

All questions for another day. It’s time for me to cull through the vibrantly-colored tissue paper—fuchsia, electric blue, chartreuse—and see what treasure there is for me at the bottom. Midway down, my fingers touch what you’ve selected. 

Good god, woman. 

What. 

Have.

You.

Done.  

By the size and heft of your gift, it’s clear that you’ve purchased me a book. On purpose.

Let's get one thing clear: I like to pick out my own books. I have a stack of them by my bed that I'm never going to read, and now I have to add yours to the pile? To compound insult to injury, you're going to ask me about this book when I see you again. 

I use all of my remaining bandwidth to pull out this publication from your gift bag, read aloud the title like a sacred scroll, and then find some authentic way to say thank you for the worst present ever. 

In the meantime, let me ask you one thing: What were you thinking? 

I mean, let’s just say you bought me a cookbook. Neither you nor I are going to master the art of French cooking in our lifetime, and I don’t think I need Giada De Laurentiis’ hot take on grilled cheese. At this point in American cuisine, we have given up. We’ve ceded dinner to DoorDash or whatever overpriced shit is shoveled into the Home Chef or Blue Apron box, prepped in an airport hangar, ensconced in enough ecologically-toxic packaging and dry ice to make me think twice about driving thru Chick-fil-A for the third time this week. Look. Neither of us are mincing garlic or zesting an orange peel. Even if I do like one of these sixteen-part recipes, I’m going to have to hunt down tarragon at Food Lion, use an eighth of a teaspoon, and then let the rest rot in the back of the pantry. Pass. 

Poetry? If you purchased a book of poetry for me, it’s probably one of your friend’s or relative’s timeless works, and you’re just abusing the Amazon algorithm to jack up their sales. And fun fact: unless you are physically intimate with someone, it is illegal in most states to gift books of poetry. That’s just the law. 

True Crime—as opposed to fake crime? Dominick Dunne and Erik Larson notwithstanding, I don’t think I need to slog through the sick underbelly of mankind. Isn’t that what HLN is for? 

As for a mystery? At my age, most things are a mystery: the sociopolitical landscape, what’s going on with my neck, my spouse, the viability of my career, my belief in God, what my children do on the internet, and my cat’s ability to throw up exactly where I step. Why complicate a complicated world even further? I don’t need any more surprises. Keep your mysteries off my nightstand.

Fantasy. OMG. If you bought me the first installment of any fantasy series, I will drive over to your house and burn it down. Of course it is part of a sprawling six-part hexalogy with a companion guide listing all of the neologisms (with maps!) Why wouldn’t I enjoy an excruciatingly detailed realm with a hundred characters and settings? Although I appreciate the intensive world-building some author has conjured up in his parent’s basement, I’ll wait until Netflix buys it, effectively ruining it as only Hollywood can do, by ensuring there is a video game tie-in and family-friendly plush toys.

Science fiction? Re-read the above.

Romance? I mean, that is just cruel. You and I are far past the bodice-ripping stages in our lives. No one with abs is sneaking through our garden gate. And I’m less worried about the Deviant Duke of CastleWaterBridge tingling my nether regions and more concerned about my 401(k) being ravaged by inflation. 

Short stories? If I want paper-thin characterization, clichéd themes, and a mere hint at a plot, I’ll write it myself.

Oh no.

No no no no no.

I can no longer hold my smile as I choke back waves of nausea. 

You did it. 

You bought me the #1 New York Times best-selling self-help book.

You shouldn’t have!



April 17, 2022 21:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

272 comments

Tallia Booker
10:22 May 04, 2022

Well-written. I appreciate the humor so much.

Reply

11:19 May 04, 2022

I appreciate your compliment so much :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Saylor
00:08 May 04, 2022

This is by far the best story I have read on here to date. I loved your original take on the prompt, and each line had me chuckling to myself. Your writing style reminds me of Frederick Backman’s ’Anxious People’, in the way it is relatable and humorous, with the right touch of cynical satire. I am so impressed with your work!

Reply

00:20 May 04, 2022

Thanks, Lily! Satire is always a blast to write. I appreciate your kind comments. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yanique Gayle
21:10 May 03, 2022

You are not friendly, lol. I can tell by your way of writing. I really enjoyed it and kind of identified with it 🙈💯.

Reply

23:48 May 03, 2022

Me, personally? I'm adorable. This story's main character is a bit of a beast :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:25 May 03, 2022

While I am sorry to insult past winners though this has been a throughly shitty morning (especially because I cant remember how to spell and it didnt correct on spell check) this is the ONLY submission entry winner I have gone to and been able to read the whole way through...loved it, the dark humor, the way you were able to work everything dark and dank about humanity (in the topic) and twist it around to have the bitcher look the bitch in the end (but not really). You just showed most humans as they really are, at least the really fun ones...

Reply

16:49 May 03, 2022

Welcome to SatireTown. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laura Eliz
14:12 May 03, 2022

You have really captured the awkwardness that is being given a gift by someone not close to you!

Reply

16:48 May 03, 2022

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beth Whitcomb
02:39 May 02, 2022

Deidre, I laughed out loud several times at my desk at work. I also sheepishly admit I've been the giver of a similar gift (not a self help book, but close). This story is pure wit and fun and maybe even a little lesson to thy self. Thank you!

Reply

16:59 May 02, 2022

Oh, I have given out many gleeful bags to some horrified expressions...and heard "You shouldn't have!" when I tried to foist a book I loved on another person. Criminal behavior :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pippin Took
16:48 May 01, 2022

Congrats on the win! :)

Reply

21:59 May 01, 2022

woo hoooooo :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
15:25 May 01, 2022

You are super weight, in your own category. This is your third winning right? Your record have spoken. Congratulation.

Reply

21:59 May 01, 2022

Third time is the charm. Thanks for the kudos.

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
11:20 May 05, 2022

Pleasure

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:22 May 01, 2022

My goodness this was absolutely delicious. Cynically sharp and witty.

Reply

21:56 May 01, 2022

Have another slice! :) Zero calories . . .

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Stack
13:02 May 01, 2022

Fun clever story. I especially liked the line 'No one with abs is sneaking through our garden gate'. It made me chuckle. Thanks. Enjoyed reading it.

Reply

22:00 May 01, 2022

Frankly, I wouldn't mind it... ;)

Reply

Rebecca Stack
18:04 May 03, 2022

Me neither funnily enough ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dana Washington
04:18 May 01, 2022

Good one Deidre! Made me want to gift my sister a self-help book for her next birthday instead of the Bible I already bought…

Reply

22:05 May 01, 2022

Hahahahhaha This MC could use a few Bibles herself...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:43 May 01, 2022

Funny story about a depressive /cynical woman! I was expecting / hoping that she will be, O surprise!, actually agreably surprised and thrilled with the book - I wonder what book - if any - she would be happy to be offered and sincerely grateful for the friendly gift!

Reply

22:00 May 01, 2022

No one is going to make this MC happy. She can rant all she wants :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jose Gonzalez
00:23 May 01, 2022

I love your writing it is very humorous. This story is very similar to Dorothy parker's the waltz or the phone call. One single narrator through out the story but you make it work. You winning everything here but you deserve it

Reply

22:01 May 01, 2022

Wow -- Dorothy Parker is high praise :) thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ophelia Baker
21:37 Apr 30, 2022

I don't even have the words. This is incredible.

Reply

22:02 May 01, 2022

Ophelia <-- best name and best literary character ever. My latest story is about her, trying to sort things out after death. Thanks for reading :)

Reply

Ophelia Baker
22:44 May 03, 2022

Omg that sounds like an amazing story. Hope you post it; I love your work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:40 Apr 30, 2022

This had me chuckling to myself the whole way through! Loved it, although I guessed wrong. I thought she would get a journal not a self-help book.

Reply

22:02 May 01, 2022

Oooooh a journal would have been perfect. Or a self-improvement workbook!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AWANDO ANTHONY
16:27 Apr 30, 2022

Nice story. I can relate with it and felt like it was my own you were writing about. Bravo

Reply

21:56 May 01, 2022

I'm pleased. Thanks for the read. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suzanne Twadell
12:46 Apr 30, 2022

I loved this. Ate it up. The paragraph about mysteries? Perfection. I'm brand new here, and I'm looking forward to digging in. Thank you for such a grand welcome!

Reply

12:47 Apr 30, 2022

Lots of talented people here ❤️ Welcome! Looking forward to reading your work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
H L McQuaid
10:38 Apr 30, 2022

this perceptive, funny, biting story is JUST what i needed today. Thank you. And congrats on winning!

Reply

22:03 May 01, 2022

Beautiful HL McQuaid! How's the movie business going...?? Thanks for reading my rant. :)

Reply

H L McQuaid
15:21 May 06, 2022

Starting a TV Pilot. And looking forward to seeing the next version of TMG. ;)

Reply

16:02 May 06, 2022

YES on the TV Pilot -- looking forward to seeing that on BBC America. Let me know if you know of any decent publicists for hire. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nandini Shukla
06:20 Apr 30, 2022

I love your take on the prompt! A perfect, humourous story. And that last line completely had me. The character is sooo relatable ! Her reaction to the book was splendid~ Congrats on the win! 😉

Reply

08:19 Apr 30, 2022

Thanks Nandini :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Liz Liz
05:29 Apr 30, 2022

I feel like even if the present was wrapped the main character would have complained about having to open it such was the saltiness of their character 😂 there are lots of fake crime books too 😅 I’m not nitpicking, truly enjoyed this read and was surprised at my reaction to their attitude, maybe cos I’m usually one of those annoying usually cheery sunny-side-up types 😋

Reply

21:58 May 01, 2022

The MC is definitely exhausting. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.