The Pen-Ultimate

Submitted into Contest #237 in response to: Write a story about a first or last kiss.... view prompt

46 comments

Romance Horror Funny

It was a bit of a shock to see Sophie again at the door, on a Thursday evening during the pre-news sitcoms, because by all accounts she was quite dead. Peter Lander distinctly recalled kissing her passionately – bittersweetly, even, because it was their last kiss, and he knew it even if she didn’t – right before he blew her brains out with his Colt Python.

He knew he was right because Eileen made a big fuss.

“Why the hell did you kiss her?”

“She’s my wife.”

“Not anymore!”

True. And given the insides of her skull confettied all over the living room, and that later that week they put the rest of the package six feet under, and then a day after that they collected on the staggering life insurance – yes, Sophie was dead. She had to be.

And yet…

“Hello, Peter,” said Sophie, standing at their door.

“Um,” said Peter. Dirt dribbled from her dress and hair and – actually, she was covered in dirt. No makeup, but her hair was done up, and frankly she looked like she might just have gotten back from a rainy rugby match, which she for some reason played in her funeral dress. And maybe she was a little paler than usual. Oh, and she had that gaping hole in her forehead, of course.

Sophie rolled her eyes, pushed past him, and muttered something about, “Why don’t I let myself in.”

Peter followed her to the kitchen, where Eileen was making herself a vodka-cranberry.

“Oh my god!” said Eileen. Her tone was shocked, but not the kind of shocked you get when you see a dead person walking around, but rather when you see the wrong dead person walking around, like when you’re in line at the express checkout but the old guy in front has more than ten items and it’s noisy and the AC doesn’t work and a greasy tween elbows you in the boob and doesn’t even notice, much less apologize. “Peter! What the hell?”

“She just showed up,” he said, with a shrug. “What do you want from me?”

“Right,” said Sophie. She placed a briefcase on the kitchen table – her lawyering briefcase, from back when she was alive and a-lawyering – and unclasped it. “Gather round. Family meeting time.”

Peter and Eileen sat, though she huffed and crossed her arms and kept the vodka at hand.

“Are you even part of our family anymore?” Eileen asked.

Sophie glared her silent. Then she pulled out piles of papers – old, yellow paper, covered in horrid red ink – all over the table.

“Soph,” Peter said, and then he winced. He never really knew how to broach deeper topics with her, which was maybe why their marriage was so-so. “Um. What’s happened to you? Are you a… a ghost?”

“She’s obviously a zombie!” Eileen snapped. “I told you to use the shotgun, but did you listen? No!”

Sophie drew herself up and sniffed. “I am not a ghost, Peter. Ghosts aren’t real.” Out of her briefcase, she pulled out, reverently, a ruby-red fountain pen – except it wasn’t merely ruby-red, it was ruby, with a gold nib – and placed it gently beside her. “Neither am I anything so gauche as a zombie.”

Eileen pouted.

“I am a revenant.”

Peter and Eileen shared a look. “What’s a revenant?” he asked.

“I’ll put it this way. When I ran into the devil in Hell–”

Told you lawyers went to Hell!” Eileen said, sneering.

Sophie cleared her throat. “When I ran into the devil, I made a deal with him. He’d let me come back as an undead murder machine, so that I could wreak unholy vengeance on those who wronged me. You know, tear you limb from limb, eat your heart, and drag your sorry soul back down with me. Kind of one last big hurrah in the world of the living.”

Peter gulped. Eileen dropped her glass, which wobbled on the table and spilled all over her lap.

“Thing is,” Sophie continued, holding up a parchment covered in bloody writing, “I’ve gone over this contract hundreds of times, and as soon as I kill you, I go back too. But, not until.”

She took a couple fresher-looking sheets of yellow paper and slid them across the table, one each for Peter and Eileen. “So, I’m willing to offer you a deal. Feel free to read over that, but the gist is, I don’t murder you, and in exchange I get to live here, and get access to the millions from my life insurance policy.”

Peter looked at his paper and gulped. “Is this written in blood?”

“It’s Lucifer Ink, by Lucifer, Inc.,” Sophie said. Then with a distant look in her eyes, and an unsubtle tremble, she added, “Blood tends to boil down there.”

“Oh.”

“It is written on human leather though.”

Peter and Eileen dropped their papers.

“What if we don’t sign?” Eileen asked.

“Then I murder you now and drag your soul down to Hell.”

“Can we just shoot you again?” Peter asked.

“Technically, yes, but come on Peter, use your thinking brain. I’m already dead. Even if you managed to destroy my body by blowing it up or something, I’d just come right back, like some cheesy slasher flick. And the neighbours would probably complain about the noise.”

“Oh.”

Peter and Eileen held quiet council for just a moment, wiggling their eyebrows and making meaningful expressions at each other. Of course, since Sophie knew them both intimately – one as a husband, and the other also as a mistress – their secret language was no secret to her.

She lay her ruby pen before them.

“What kind of pen is that?” asked Eileen.

“A pen par excellence, the pen-ultimate – the devil’s very own quill. Utterly binding on a soul level. I might have swiped it from his desk. What? Don’t look at me like that. It’s not like I can possibly get into even more trouble.”

What choice did they have? They signed. Then for a second, they shimmered in a red glow and experienced a pang of bowel distress, and it was done.

And Sophie moved back into the house she paid for.

Her old firm wouldn’t take her back when she called.

“No offense, Soph – and I mean that! You were one of the best, for sure. It’s just, people already see us as ghoulish, and if we brought you back, well, it’d no longer be libel, would it?”

So she plopped herself down on the living room couch, right in the middle, so Peter and Eileen couldn’t cuddle up on it while watching a nice romcom or something. Not that they watched romcoms, because Sophie had control of the remote, and she binged trashy reality TV twenty-four hours a day.

“Maybe someone else would want to watch something,” Eileen said.

“Maybe someone else should get a job and buy the TV,” Sophie snapped.

And twenty-four hours a day really was twenty-four hours a day, since Sophie didn’t sleep.

“You mind turning that down at night?” Peter asked, after he caught himself humming a reality theme song in the shower. “It’s just, I can’t sleep.”

“Yes, Peter,” said Sophie. “I do mind.” And then she cranked the volume up.

The only thing that competed with the blaring TV was the shrill ding of the doorbell, going off like clockwork, also at all hours of the day. Having some free time for perhaps the first time in her life, Sophie crawled the online shopping sites and splurged on whatever caught her eye. After all, her life insurance money was as much hers as anyone else’s, and given this was her retirement, she had nothing to save for.

The lack of responsibility felt liberating.

The living room was soon filled with unread books, unworn clothes, unwatched movies, unexcercised workout machines, and uneaten chocolate. Somewhere she even found a life-size alabaster unicorn, whose horn scratched up the low ceiling. And because she refused to budge from the couch – muttering something about the sentimental value of it being the place her brain was ejected – it fell to Peter and Eileen to get the deliveries.

It was exhausting.

In their spare moments, Peter and Eileen mostly stuck to the kitchen, where the blaring TV was at least a little muted. Having company over was difficult, because all their friends understandably kept bringing up “the Sophie situation”, and frankly it was getting embarrassing explaining themselves over and over, and stressing that “the living room was Sophie’s room” and so it was best to leave it be.

Eileen hit the bottle increasingly hard, and Peter took up smoking again. Easy, since Sophie no longer nagged him about it.

“This isn’t working for me,” Eileen said one night.

Peter nodded.

“This isn’t how I pictured our early retirement.”

Peter nodded again.

“Are you listening to me?”

“Christ, yes. What do you want from me?”

“I want the life of luxury I was promised! I want to be able to host our friends with swanky parties!” She pouted. “I want my yacht!”

Peter rolled his eyes–

“Don’t you dare!”

He sighed and massaged the bridge of his nose. “It’s not ideal, is it?”

“What can we do? I thought we were rid of her.”

“Be nice.”

“No,” said Eileen. “I’m sick of this. I wish we never signed that stupid contract.”

“Well, she would have murdered us. And, you know, the whole Hell thing.”

“Whatever.” Then Eileen’s eyes lit up. “Hey! Maybe there’s a loophole. Where’s the contract?”

Stealing Sophie’s briefcase wasn’t too hard, what with the TV blaring and her attention focused entirely on the very real antics of the very real people on display. They brought it back to the kitchen for some privacy, and started going through the papers. Sophie’s contract with the devil was huge. It took them a solid week to go through it, a week made all the harder by the constant interruptions from deliveries – but finally, on Friday, they hit on something.

“Footnote 28397”, Peter read. “Note that the revenant has licence to seek revenge on exactly one (1) former aggressor. As soon as such an aggressor is slain the revenant contract is concluded, and both souls become the property of Lucifer, Inc. Note that collateral damage is permitted–”

“What’s that mean?” Eileen asked.

“I’m reading, hold on. Basically, if she blows us up or something, that’s fine too. The contract’s done when one of us dies, but there’s no penalty, I guess, if we’re both dead.”

“Super. So very encouraging–”

“Shh! Wait, there’s more.” Peter adjusted his glasses and took a drag on his cigarette. “Note also that the contract will be concluded if any of the aggressors should die by any means, whether caused by the revenant or not. This includes but is not limited to: traffic accidents, war, acts of God, peanut butter, old age, or being murdered by someone else.”

“Hmm,” said Eileen, setting her drink down.

“Hmm,” said Peter. “What do you suppose that means?”

“I guess,” Eileen hedged, “if one of us were to die, then…”

“Hmm.”

Peter set his cigarette down on the table.

He locked eyes with Eileen and neither blinked, as an ad for an energy drink roared in the background.

At once, she flew at the counter and he dived for the pantry, and they both kicked over their kitchen table.

Eileen grabbed the first things available to her: a cutting board covered in raw soon-to-be schnitzels and a gory meat tenderizer. She flung the floppy meat patties across the room and roared, hoisting her tenderizer into the air, and then with a shriek brought her cutting board up just in time to block the worst of a volley of canned pinto beans.

Peter charged her with a battlecry, holding a jumbo can of tomato juice with both hands. He leapt at her right as she swung. Her tenderizer savaged his temple, but he tackled her.

“I think we should see other people!” he roared, bringing his can of tomato juice down and down again.

Eileen screamed, desperately blocking with her cutting board and flailing her face tenderizer - until it finally connected with his jaw. It was enough for her to push him off and then roll on top, and now Peter was on the defensive.

“It’s not you, it’s me!” she cried, and each time her weapon came down, torrents of blood – or tomato, it was hard to tell – splattered everything.

They rolled again when Peter was able to get a hold of a raw schnitzel and shove it into her face, and then again when she managed to can-opener his ear, and on and on it went until they both flopped onto the kitchen floor, gasping for breath, covered in cuts and bruises and meat.

“Truce,” he wheeze.

“Yeah,” she managed, and then coughed. “I thought killing was supposed to get easier after the first one.”

“Hey, do you smell that?”

Eileen sniffed. “Is something burning?”

Laboriously, they both sat up and found their kitchen to be on fire. The worst of the blaze was their table, which had been covered in Sophie’s dry old contracts, Eileen’s liquor, and Peter’s lit cigarette.

“Aw, hell,” he muttered, as the flames drew closer. Then they both screamed for help.

Sophie ignored them at first, because their drama was just too much and nowhere near as interesting as TV, but it grated on her enough that she finally rose off the couch. By then the kitchen was a conflagration, with nary any raw meat in sight – neither schnitzel nor Peter and Eileen.

“Damn it!” she said, planting her hands on her hips. “You two are just the worst!”

And then she exploded into a cloud of sulphur and flame, and the house burned down.

February 13, 2024 22:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

46 comments

Darvico Ulmeli
08:52 Apr 05, 2024

So, funny and entertaining. Like the idea and imagination. Had a smile on my face the whole time. Nicely done.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:53 Apr 13, 2024

Thanks, Darvico! I'm glad to hear that :) It was definitely a bit of a light hearted story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
16:03 Mar 22, 2024

Ha! One of those stories that has no protagonist. The only thing I found a bit of a stretch was that they would have friends over. Understanding friends. No, it would have been more appropriate if Eileen constantly complained or needled him about 'when?' they could finally invite their friends over, with Peter impatiently reminding her that a dinner party with Sophie around would not be much fun. It could be the nexus of their disagreement. Still, a great read, very smooth, funny, imaginative and above all -- devious.

Reply

Michał Przywara
19:40 Mar 23, 2024

Ha! That's a good alternative too :) Peter and Eileen definitely had some friction and maybe showing more of it would have been good, what with that elephant in the room. I imagined a lot of tiny, normal house life scenes, constantly interrupted by the microaggressions of the dead wife, but you can only fit so much in 3k, right? Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
03:06 Feb 24, 2024

Michal, This has shades of the movie, "Death becomes her." What would you do if the person you murdered came back to drag you to hell? Perhaps, that should be a warning imprinted on every gun sold - like the graphical warnings on cigarette boxes. I found it hilarious that the food fight took on a surreal representation of war-like proportions. Barrages of tin cans representing bombs, a meat tenderiser and floppy meat patties representing the threat of flesh and bone crushing weaponry, pinto beans representing cluster bombs and machine gun...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:40 Feb 26, 2024

Thanks so much, Chris! Great feedback :) Yeah, the food fight was fun. My initial take was each ran for the closest knife, but then reflecting on it that seemed so terribly dull. Like writing about someone who is hit by a car - mundane. Much more interesting to have them flattened by a septic tank that was being delivered but got free and rolled down a hill. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Denise Mauer
00:07 Feb 24, 2024

Adorable! Great story and fantastic ending. I loved it! I think some of the language and/or punctuation could be tightened up in spots. I love the dry humour, but I think it sometimes gets lost and the magnificent final fight scene gets a little fuzzy. Thanks so much for sharing!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:42 Feb 26, 2024

Thanks, Denise! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm always on the lookout to improve my writing - do you have a specific spot where things could use tightening up/are too fuzzy, as an example? I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Denise Mauer
20:01 Feb 27, 2024

I wasn't sure how critique-y you would want from a stranger - these things can be dicey as I'm sure you know! All opinions expressed going forward are purely personal and only as important as you deem them. Forgive my lazy, abbreviated shorthand: When Eileen says "omg'" but like she was seeing the wrong body. That's a good line by itself. The bit after that about old men and checkout lines, etc, is too much. When Peter suggests shooting her again.. couldn't, instead of can't. He's not asking her permission. When her law firm won't hire he...

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:13 Feb 27, 2024

Thanks, Denise! Yeah, you're right - feedback can get dicey for sure :) However in this case, I very much appreciate you pointing out the parts that didn't work for you. That's useful for me, going forward. Bit by bit, we get better, right? Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kathryn Kahn
00:42 Feb 22, 2024

I laughed out loud at the end. Brilliant. These people are just awful. All of them. I enjoyed reading their story very much.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:42 Feb 22, 2024

Yes they certainly are :) Glad you enjoyed it, Kathryn - thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristina Aziz
18:29 Feb 21, 2024

This story hooked me from the very first (very captivating) sentence!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:44 Feb 22, 2024

Thanks, Kristina! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Terry Jaster
17:30 Feb 20, 2024

A very funny story. Deals with devils and demons don't always work for anyones advantage. Angela are just as bad sometimes. Very well done.4/5

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:41 Feb 21, 2024

Thanks, Terry! Yeah, no doubt - not everyone negotiates in good faith :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:43 Feb 20, 2024

In this vengeful story, I liked your character, Sophie who had dealt with her traitors, to get herself a justice, in her own way and finally released herself out from being-a-wandering-spirit. “Maybe someone else should get a job and buy the TV,” Sophie snapped. “Yes, Peter,” said Sophie. “I do mind.” And then she cranked the volume up. “You two are just the worst!”

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:43 Feb 21, 2024

Thanks, Priceless! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
09:32 Feb 19, 2024

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved it from the start when Sophie turned up -till the end when the house burnt down. Brilliant.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:42 Feb 20, 2024

Thanks, Stevie! It was a fun one to write :) I think Sophie got dealt a rough hand, but there was probably no other way it could end :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Judith Jerdé
20:16 Feb 18, 2024

Michal, Excellent writing. I loved the dark humor in your story. Proves the old addage ‘ There’s no honor among thieves’ or in this case murderers.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:44 Feb 20, 2024

Thanks, Judith! Yeah, that's probably right :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dennis Haak
08:43 Feb 18, 2024

This was a fun, dark story to read, Michal! Had to chuckle out loud multiple times. Particularly liked the kitchen fight scene. Thanks for the entertaining read!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:45 Feb 20, 2024

Thanks, Dennis! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) I liked the kitchen fight too. It would have been easy if everyone went for a knife, but I figured it might be more memorable with less conventional weapons. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nolan Shultz
23:08 Feb 17, 2024

This was a fun read! Thoroughly enjoyed it! NS

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:40 Feb 20, 2024

Thanks, Nolan! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yuliya Borodina
15:38 Feb 17, 2024

It's the first time I've read one of your stories, but I can already tell I am a fan. Such a curious mixture of humor, satirical commentary, and action! The fact that the undead avenging ex-wife turns out to be the most relatable character is brilliant. Just curious: did some lawyer cross you this week, haha?

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:03 Feb 19, 2024

Thanks, Yuliya! Ha, no, didn't run afoul of any lawyers recently :) Glad you enjoyed the story! I also think Sophie ended up being the most reasonable of the lot. I appreciate the feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
06:13 Feb 17, 2024

I loved this ! I have lived this- except I haven't, but maybe? ' Her tone was shocked, but not the kind of shocked you get when you see a dead person walking around, but rather when you see the wrong dead person walking around, like when you’re in line at the express checkout but the old guy in front has more than ten items and it’s noisy and the AC doesn’t work and a greasy tween elbows you in the boob and doesn’t even notice, much less apologize.' Thanks !

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:44 Feb 19, 2024

Thanks for reading, Marty! This was a fun one to write :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hazel Ide
03:12 Feb 16, 2024

I recently learned legal horror is a thing, and I felt delighted by this story’s odd blend of contracts, deliciously visceral comedic gore and miserable love gone wrong. Wonderful.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:40 Feb 18, 2024

Oh, I hadn't heard of that as a genre - but I'm not surprised. I'm sure people can find horror in any niche :) Thanks for reading, Hazel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
22:24 Feb 15, 2024

This was hilarious. “She’s obviously a zombie!” Eileen snapped. “I told you to use the shotgun, but did you listen? No!” Solid logic "...people already see us as ghoulish, and if we brought you back, well, it’d no longer be libel, would it?” zinger “Footnote 28397” The though of them sifting through a document that long was hilarious. I think this was a brilliant satire of lawyers. And it was a perfect climax to have people fighting for their own skin in the end. It was also a very cynical commentary and what people really want from each...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:42 Feb 16, 2024

Thanks, Tom! Glad you liked it :) It was a fun one to write. One of my inspirations was Tell-Tale Heart, only in this case the heart is an undead ex-wife. Another was wondering what Jason Voorhees did in his off time. Maybe not super fitting for the St. Valentine theme, but… February the 14th/Friday the 13th - close enough :) Thanks for giving it a read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
23:32 Feb 14, 2024

Dearest Michal. This is an anti Valentine’s Day story. Where is the LOVE? Everyone is backstabbing and killing each other and dragging each other to HELL. Who hurt you. 😭 Real talk though. I missed your stories my guy. This is funny because like. It’s the unlikeliest of coupling all under the same roof together. Sophie is my favorite. I mean, who hasn’t married the wrong person atleast once in their life who tried to kill them and then take their life insurance money to live large with their mistress on the side. We’ve all been there. ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:53 Feb 15, 2024

Thanks, Danie! Lovely to hear from you again :) Yeah, this one might not *exactly* fit the theme this week, but it's the one that wanted to be written, so here we are :) Glad Sophie worked out. I think she had a solid plan and offered them a reasonable deal, but I guess good enough isn't always good enough. Thanks for leaving your thoughts!

Reply

Danie Holland
22:53 Feb 15, 2024

The way you shine a flash light on human nature really does it for me. Always with excellent humor. Indeed, well enough just can’t be left alone for some. I’m glad you didn’t shy away from this one. There’s something satisfying about exploring the misadventures of romance in stories. Perhaps, it makes us feel better about our own askew relationships. I can only speak for me, though. 😅

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
18:15 Feb 14, 2024

Just the right amount of humor and gore. Love it! Lucifer Ink by Lucifer Inc. death by peanut butter “I thought killing was supposed to get easier after the first one.” So many great bits. And this is one time when you want to read the terms and conditions of a contract. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:56 Feb 15, 2024

The devil is in the details :) Thanks for reading, Kailani! It was a fun one to write :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
16:07 Feb 14, 2024

- blood boils down there - blood or tomato juice - it was hard to tell the difference - can-opener his ear. Good to know you know your way around a kitchen. Greed, the devil, and a unicorn. waht more do we want. :-) Thanks Michal.

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:34 Feb 15, 2024

Glad you enjoyed it, Trudy :) Definitely a curious mix this week :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:48 Feb 14, 2024

This was incredibly entertaining! So many laugh out loud moments. My favourites: - And the neighbours would probably complain about the noise. - It’s just, people already see us as ghoulish, and if we brought you back, well, it’d no longer be libel, would it? - Having company over was difficult, because all their friends understandably kept bringing up “the Sophie situation”, and frankly it was getting embarrassing explaining themselves over and over, and stressing that “the living room was Sophie’s room” and so it was best to leave it be....

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:40 Feb 14, 2024

Thanks, Melissa! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) It was fun going for a less serious story this week. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.