The Trio Of Destiny

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten days.... view prompt

6 comments

Adventure Fantasy Science Fiction

The Trio of Destiny

Human, electric, wind and fire

They will rise to a power even higher 

They are the Trio of Destiny 

Long will live their legacy.

Something is coming to destroy the earth, 

Something to strike fear

Something for the trio to save

Whose end is very quite near…

Man and monster must unite

If they want to win a fight 

Against the greatest of them all

If they soon fail the world shall fall

The hero will be strong and true

His unknown powers will break through

Unleash the power of the legendary three

Or all monsters will forever roam free

More burnt crops. More deceased livestock. More lives lost. Once again, farmers arose to find their precious crops blackened and shriveled. They all nodded grimly and knew who this was the work of; none other than the 3 deadly monsters of Tyria themselves; the Wyvern of Wreston, the Thunderbird and the devilish monster Fenrir.

All of the villagers were gathered in the Great Hall of the village at noon, once again brainstorming ways to end the terrifying reign of the monstrous creatures.

“Who will save us?” wailed a painfully thin farmer, holding the scorched remains of what used to be a live chicken. The village was starving as the trio of monsters had killed all of their livestock; pigs, cows and chickens. With the rivers evaporated, they could only bucket wet and sloppy mud. With sheep, donkeys and horses dead, there was nothing to eat except the occasional egg, which would even be the cause of fistfights. Once, Tyria had been a peaceful village with respectful and pleasant residents. However, three terrible monsters had invaded the land of Tyria to wreak havoc upon the entire place. Life was never going to be the same again. As a deep silence took over the hall, one small voice disrupted the villagers’ thinking. “I will! I’ve come to save you all!”

The voice came from a scrawny boy, no older than 10, who was crawling his way to the front, passing through the legs of befuddled adults. When he reached the centre of the crowd, he stood up and flexed his tiny muscles to the dumbfounded crowd. “I, Josh Tolamo, will save the village from the monsters!” he hollered, trying to look confident and determined. In truth, he was terrified, but he was determined not to admit that! After a moment of silence, The villagers started shaking with laughter. “Hahahaha!” they roared. Tears streamed out of their eyes like a waterfall, and they rolled on the ground, pounding on their chests to help them breathe. Ignoring the crowd’s laughter, Josh stared at his watch. This would take a while… 

Many unbearable minutes later, the village had finally settled down, with the occasional snicker. “I will slice you into bits so small that I will feed them to the rats! This little midget here, thinks he’s so good! You are going to be sorry for what you had said when I’m finished with you!” Hollered Denalius, the city warrior. “Ooh!” Gasped the crowd. Josh stepped forward. “Bring it on, fat man! You are going to regret it!” Countered Josh defensively. Denalius’s eyes widened in mock surprise. He made a symbol with his fingers that was probably very rude and then started charging. Josh quickly analysed his overgrown, larger than life opponent and realised that if the huge man missed Josh, he would run into a stone wall… At the last millisecond, Josh skillfully rolled to the right as the fat man barreled headfirst into the stone wall. Denalius stepped back like he’d been shot, but was swaying like he was about to collapse. He did it. As the huge man fell, Josh triumphantly grinned at the crowd who were watching the whole hustle and bustle with stupefied amazement. Suddenly, they started chanting. “Josh! Josh! Josh! Josh!”

People couldn’t stop talking about a prophecy that they had read in a book called a guide to the Legends of Tyria. It explained many terrifying monsters such as a manticore, harpies, banshees and the three native Tyria monsters; the powerful Wyvern of Wreston, the majestic Thunderbird and the savage, cunning and brutal Fenrir, the first werewolf. However, this was the section everyone was worried about. There was a prophecy in the book. Josh had read it and it said 

“Human, electric, wind and fire

They will rise to a power even higher 

They are the Trio of Destiny 

Long will live their infinite legacy.

Something is coming to destroy the earth, 

Something to strike fear

Something for the trio to save

Whose end is very quite near…

Man and monster must unite

If they want to win a fight 

Against the greatest of them all

If they soon fail the world shall fall

The hero will be strong and true

His unknown powers will break through

Unleash the power of the legendary three

Or all monsters will forever roam free”

Josh couldn’t understand it. He was the human, but what sort of power could unite man and monster? Nothing could, and what was the greatest?

At dawn, Josh set off on his quest with hastily packed rations, armour a shield and a sword. Donis the blacksmith had complained about the lack of iron but by order of the townspeople, the blacksmith reluctantly let the boy use his worst set of armour and the sword. Josh had travelled a long way and was terribly exhausted. Trekking from dawn till dusk sounded like a pretty long time. He set down his supplies near the Forest of Forgiveness and struck a torch, setting it next to him. Apparently the forest was the only safe place in the world other than the village as the villagers believed that there were spirits in the forest that scared away evil beings. Josh sighed and crawled into his comfortable sleeping bag, conveniently army coloured. “I am going to be a hero.” He murmured to himself. “A hero.”

“ROAR!” a monstrous roar echoed throughout the forest. Trees shook and mountains quaked. Surely, this was the dragon? Josh sat up suddenly, rubbing his eyes and arching his aching back. He packed up his supplies and set off into the mountainside where a life-threatening situation awaited him. After an hour or so, the young adventurer stopped at the mountains, the well known lair of the Wyvern. In Tyria, villagers would tell their children haunting stories about what had happened to previous children when they travelled here. No one had seen this place and lived to tell the tale. However, the sudden sight made it even more gruesome. There was a cave leading into the mountain and jagged rocks sprung up from the ground. Then, there were the dead. Bones littered the whole cave, from men to women to boys and to girls. Rotting flesh sat in a small corner with flies buzzing around it and the foul odour made Josh’s stomach flip over in repugnance and revulsion. Just then, Josh remembered something that his father had said. “Always pick the battlefield, as you may win even before you start.” Josh tore his eyes away from the remains of tortured souls and scanned his surroundings. Of course, the rocks, the cave and the cliff face were there, but there wasn’t really anything else… 

“ROAR!” the Wyvern burst out of the cave but one thing made Josh stop in his tracks. The dragon was beautiful. The wings were leathery green and seemed fragile but could beat heavily when required. The scales were dappled scarlet and crimson and rippling. The eyes were so lovely and copper, so Josh couldn’t think of anything except that being killed by this amazing creature was an honourable way to die. The Wyvern of Wreston spread his wings and blew a jet of white-hot flames into the air, immediately making the temperature rise by at least 10 degrees. Snarling and spitting, the dragon bared its teeth and charged but like never before, the jaws met empty air. Josh gasped as spines on the dragon’s back pricked up and instinctively, covered himself with his shield. Not a moment too soon as spikes sharper than knives embedded themselves into the battered wooden shield. Grinning, the boy crouched and with a tremendous leap, he landed on the dragon’s neck. The dragon screeched, writhed and rolled but nothing could release the boy’s grip on the crimson neck. Josh drew his sword and pointed it at the dragon’s throat. “You help me save my family… or die.” The dragon growled softly and then rose to its full height. Josh slipped with sweaty hands and landed roughly on the ground. He crawled back and cowered before the magnificent dragon that stood before him. To his surprise, the dragon folded his brilliant wings and slowly bowed before the shocked boy. He got up and shouldered his bag. He climbed onto the back of the dragon and it took off into the sunset. Josh sheathed his sword and started to doze off. Just for a minute…

Josh woke up with a terrifying screeching noise hammering its way into his brain. He leaned over and patted the dragon, which he had named Volant. He realised that they were in an arctic wasteland, as ice and water basically made up the whole surface. A storm was raging and snow whipped around his face like freezing bullets. Volant skidded to a halt of a large piece of ice and listened hard… Screech! With no doubt, this was the home of the Thunderbird. Suddenly, a bolt of lightning struck down right in front of Josh. Gulping in terror, he looked up… The Thunderbird was jet black, with pure white eyes. The beak was so sharp it glinted and each bolt of lightning rained down with such force that they split the ice. Josh yelled in defiance and charged. Running into the bird was a suicide mission. The bird screeched and a bolt of lightning arced at Josh. He roared and thrust up his sword. The lightning deflected off the metal and struck the bird. The bird lowered its head and started charging towards Josh, it’s serrated beak glinting with each bolt of white-hot electricity. However, at the last second, Josh flipped over and smashed the bird with his shield. The bird was still alive! Josh crouched in a fighting stance, wondering about what his next move would be. However, he didn’t need to. The bird threw its head back in a caw and fell. ``Yeah! Let’s go Volant!” He whooped, throwing his fists in the air. RUMBLE…. The Thunderbird rolled over and set itself on its feet. It bowed slowly and the thunder began to die away.

 Without warning, a geyser of blood erupted from the ice and a wolf-like monster leapt out. “Fenrir. The first werewolf.” Muttered Josh to himself. The werewolf started clapping mockingly. “So pleased to be noticed. But, our time must come to an end… Because you are the Trio of destiny.” “What?” Josh questioned, confused. “Truly, you are a fool not to hear of the prophecy of Three? They said Fire, which is your dragon, Electric which is your bird and you, the useless, pathetic, silly human.” Josh calculated and gasped. Only the power of the Three of them could bring down this barbaric beast. Crouching, Fenrir sprang at Josh, lips peeled back and Josh rolled to the side. He was alive, but not unscathed. A deep gash had opened in his back thigh and as he limped away, blood soaking his armour. Suddenly, he realised that Fenrir was the fastest and strongest enemy he had ever met. Fenrir slowly rose up and howled, to the full moon… the source of his power. An army of wolves swarmed through the plains, up the mountains and circled the dragon, the bird and the boy. Fenrir grinned maliciously and growled. “Kill them.”

The wolf army snarled and charged, stopping only when a beam of blinding white light vaporised a group of wolves. Josh looked behind him and gasped. The Thunderbird and the Wyvern were merging together and they were encased in a glowing sphere of brilliant golden light. Thunder roared and the wind whipped around wickedly. The ball of light grew… and grew… KABOOM! The glowing ball detonated and the whole army of wolves disappeared, only leaving wisps of sand that the screeching wind blew away. Fenrir’s grin disappeared into a mask of pure shock. “H… how… my army…” The two monsters slowly landed on the ground, now merged as one. The dragon was there, but with all of Thunderbird’s abilities. Fenrir roared and dug his claws into the ground. Immediately, black liquid spread through the ground, killing all of the grass and withering all the flowers. Suddenly, a hand burst through the dirt. Then rose a leg. “Sparta. Skeleton warriors trained to kill.” Gasped Josh. As if on cue, a skeleton exploded from the dirt, leering at the hero. More skeletons rose from the ground until another army faced them. Josh glared at them all and a knot of anger, fear and resentment built in his throat. Twang! Josh’s shoulder exploded in agony. He looked at his shoulder and realised with a mixture of disgust and shock at the skeletal rib-sticking from his upper shoulder. Blood soaked his sleeve and he groaned in pain. Was the world supposed to be spinning and red? Fenrir growled. “I’ll kill you, little boy, then eat all of your loved ones.” Josh gritted his teeth and ripped out the rib. It disappeared in a small puff of smoke. He leapt onto the dragon and Volant took off, the skeletons in pursuit. 

Whatever his hidden power was in the prophecy, Josh thought it was running late. Legendary powers were coming… but what? The young warrior shook his head and realised if he wanted power, he would have to work for it. He roared and thrust out his sword, he spun around, like a mini-tornado. No… he was a tornado. Tiny flecks of fire and water shone around him and he blew his way through a platoon of head skeletons, which were now headless. He saw his faithful dragon circle him in uncertainty. Shouting something that was lost in the wind, he jumped up and slammed his sword into the hard, rocky, terrain. A huge crack slithered it’s way to the largest troop of Sparta and with a roar, collapsed. Skeletons literally lost their head as they fell into the infinite abyss below. Volant occasionally breathed fire and Thunderbird struck lightning bolts but then they were wearing out. Skeletons took the place of another but Josh was desperate to win. He stood on the dragon’s back. He threw his head back and hollered “For Tyria!” The dragon reared and discharged millions of bolts of arcing, fatal, steaming lightning. A raging golden flame shot out of Volant’s mouth and all of the skeletons disintegrated. The lightning and fire blasted Fenrir. Falling to his knees, Fenrir glared at Josh who had dismounted his ride. Fenrir snarled and started chuckling. “My dear boy… I do have some more power, did you know?” Now breathing maniacally, he inclined his head and started to grow… and grow until he became the size of a small house. “You wanted a fight? Come and get one, boy.” 

Josh instinctively slashed his sword through the air and a miniature hurricane shot out, blasting Fenrir in the face with the force of a baby elephant. Howling in pain, Fenrir swiped across the air with his serrated black claws but missed. Without warning, the huge wolf summoned a huge pillar of towering black flame above him. It started to drop… Josh couldn’t hold it. He yelled to the world and his power burst out of him, fueled with white-hot rage. All of his terror, rage and pain exploded with the force of an atomic bomb. Josh created an explosion. Fenrir roared in outrage and tried to hurtle away but the white energy covered him, making him writhe and worm in agony. Volant blasted him with flames and beat him down with lightning. 

Soon, the fiery light disappeared and Fenrir was a normal size human again, crouching on his knees which had been scraped raw and red by the detonation. “How…” growled Fenrir, bowing his head. “You said it yourself you smelly mutt.” Said Josh. “We’re the Trio of Destiny.” He drove his sword down and with a pitiful howl, Fenrir rolled onto his side and disintegrated into sand, never to terrorise anything again. Josh looked at the spot where Fenrir took his last stand and gasped. There was a gleaming wolf’s tooth the size of Josh’s hand and when he rubbed it, his mind cleared. He felt a surge of energy and a boost of confidence. Of course! In mythology, wolves were sacred and meant good luck for warriors! He pulled out a ball of thread from his pocket and tied it to his neck with the tooth for good luck. A flash of lightning told him the Thunderbird and the Wyvern had separated. He patted Volant and the dragon growled, staring at Josh with his beautiful copper eyes as if it wanted Josh to stay. “I can’t,” Josh The dragon bowed to him and took off, leaving Josh there. He clasped the tooth in his hand and shut his eyes…

The world spun as Josh twisted and twirled. As the mountain valley was ripped away from view, all he could see was a blinding, dazzling, blazing white energy swirling around him. Josh reappeared in the main hall of Tyria, where hundreds of people were gawking at him and his tooth. One person clapped. Another started applauding. In no time, the population of Tyria were on their feet, clapping and cheering on the boy who had saved their futures forevermore. “Josh! Josh! Josh!” The young hero grinned, having experienced an adventure most heroes could endure in a lifetime. “I’m a hero,” he thought blissfully. “A hero.”

December 28, 2020 23:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Akshaya ✨
07:28 Dec 29, 2020

Hello Aiden! I enjoyed reading your story! It was very well written for a first story, and I especially loved the verses you added in between! Great going! Keep writing! I can't wait to read more of your work!

Reply

Aiden Chu
01:13 Jan 14, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
08:08 Jan 15, 2021

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I feel like the paragraphs were a bit too long. Other than that, I love this story, especially the verses you added. Great work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:11 Jan 04, 2021

Woah, this is such a cool and creative story! Awesome descriptions and plot, especially for your first one. If I had any feedback, it would be to break up your paragraphs a little more into bite-sized chunks to read, but other than that, amazing job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aiden Chu
01:13 Jan 14, 2021

I actually thought of this story in first grade. :p

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.