Heroin: No Postcards From Portugal

Submitted into Contest #142 in response to: Start your story with someone being given a book recommendation.... view prompt

37 comments

Contemporary American Sad

Heroin: No Postcards From Portugal


“You may like reading, The Freaky Fungal Family Tree,” I told one of the two waitresses attending my table who’d noticed I was reading, and then had asked for book recommendations on that sun-splashed afternoon. That’s the explanation any of us three shared when strangers encountered us thereafter and inquired how we’d first met. After all, and because of our age differences, we were a curiosity. The two, who at first, became muses for my literary work. Eventually, well, what can I say? Legally, we were all adults…


My former cell phone number was 201-484-9631. As of today, I closed my Verizon account which provided mobile access for that number. The $600 smartphone, also provided by Verizon, I’ll donate to the local homeless shelter to do with as they may, once someone else gets suckered into signing up again for G5 mobile service. I only got the freaking thing because I needed to go back and forth for a series of eye surgery operations at a hospital several cities away from where I live. The final of those cut and paste procedures took place last Thursday. Health insurance and cell phones suck, but they’re necessary evils you need every now and then to survive in today’s world. Today’s world: What a joke. It ain’t any better than the world of yesterday – today’s world simply and endlessly drills that little lie into your brain that it is. I’m done!


I got a call on the cell from my girls now out in Los Angeles last night. Other than a business colleague and a guitar-playing friend who helped me set up my now disconnected phone, I’ve never given anyone the number I just shared with everyone reading this. Needing the device to only book Uber car rides for the hospital appointments, no one else besides my girls ever phoned me on my mobile number. They even helped me pick it out on the Verizon online store site so they could call me as soon as I got out of surgery to check on how I was doing. The joke’s on all of us I guess, what I knew about surgical procedures was equal to what I knew about smartphones. Because before the operation it was required I leave all personal effects, including the phone, in a locker until I was released from the facility’s care. Today’s world!


So, during the call from my muses the other evening, they dropped the big one. They’d met someone. Not sure if it was a man or woman, and that doesn’t matter to me. Full disclosure: I’ve been in a throuple with my girls for nearly a year now – and monogamy was never a concern. In fact, it was an exhilarating sense of freedom not having to be concerned about it. What I am concerned with concerning the person they just met is that person’s profession: dealing heroin. You see, their new acquaintance just introduced the two of them to the product pushers pushed. And according to my girls, it was GREAT!


Great – I’ve heard that before. I’ve even had a few personal experiences with junkies during my tenure in yesterday’s world, and they all think the first hit is great. I’ve watched from the sidelines how it just always goes south and downhill thereafter. There goes your better judgment. There goes your health, dreams, career, family, goals, plans, ambitions, reputation, integrity, and practically everything else. And for an unlucky number of heroin addicts, oops, there goes your life! This is the point where I’ll choose to digress and tell you about an experience I had with one junkie in yesterday’s world – so read on if you will...


I’d been in a relationship with that addict from my former life for nearly as long as I’ve been in this throuple I just told you about. I knew she was using. She even tried to turn me on to it a few times, but I was never interested. Heroin scared me shitless. I accepted that smack would get the best of me. I was weak – but I wasn’t stupid. For a relatively uneducated person I acknowledged my own limitations rather well, and that I lacked the strength and fortitude to master the evil opiate. Yet, I was absent of intelligence, or perhaps the experience, in how to handle life with an addict. Instead, I told her to not only get out of the apartment we shared on the Lower Eastside of Manhattan but to leave my world as well. And she did, albeit with having not revealed she was pregnant with a child. Our child. My child; at the time of her exile.


Damn, I’d not known I even had a son until the call from the NYPD to identify their bodies. Apparently, according to the cops, she thought it was a good idea to nurse the child as she lay in bed after shooting up. If you’d known my former girlfriend then you’d surely conclude, especially if you’d ever sampled her attempts at baking, she lacked a talent for measuring the proportions of ingredients required in a recipe. So, can you take a wild guess at what happened? BINGO! She not only ODed but fell unconscious atop the baby she was nursing, our son, and the boy suffocated. A police officer shared the kid’s name with me: Alan. That was the seldom-used middle name my parent had hung on me. Alan – I had a dead son named Alan. Now the jokes on me, and it’s a joke I’m rarely willing to retell to others.


I so vividly can recall what led to my ex’s exile. The deeper she got into heroin the more I felt like I was standing on a seashore as I watched her being dragged further out into the ocean by a riptide. An undertow that was stronger than she realized, and was something never to be mastered. While I stood helplessly as it pulled her down I’d silently think to myself, “Drop me a postcard when you get to Portugal.” But junkies seldom live to see the Portuguese coastline. Nor, do some of their children. It’s just a fact of life. And anyway, I’m done. Now, let’s return to the last tale I’ll ever share with you about my girls in California.


So, they told me all about their newly acquired dope connection. This dealer had turned them on for free. That’s something pushers usually do because they know you’ll be back to pay for the next one, then another hit, and another, and all the future fixes after that. Fixes - well, ain’t that the cutest little moniker! What once was fun becomes a fix to maintain the brief and temporary respite of not succumbing to the dreaded dope sickness when you can’t find a fix. When a junkie is “jonesing” they’ll do anything for a fix. You just name it and call the shots, for a fix; they’ll do whatever someone wants. I remembered; I lived through it a few times in yesterday’s world, and the sickly experience I sadly shared with a user. Take it from me, withdrawal’s sick. I know, I watched that woman I used to love sweat, shake, puke, piss, and even crap herself silly when she couldn’t find a fix. Now, I’m done.


My girls also said when I come to stay with them in LA this summer, as we’d tentatively planned, they’ll turn me on to their newly discovered acquaintance with that amazing product they’re sure I’d love. I said nothing. I only listened in muted silence to their delusions of an inner ability to beat heroin at its own game and not get hooked by the devious and deadly drug. They’d accomplish what those who were destroyed and died from diamorphine addiction failed to do. They’d break, tame, and ride the wild white horse, unlike all the others who’d attempted to bust that bucking bronco before them. They’d be the exception to the rule. Me? I realized quite a while ago I’d live longer by playing by the rules when it came to addictions. I’m weak.


I said nothing as they prattled and rattled on about this new pipedream. Instead, I watched two more people whom I loved being dragged out to a deadly diacetylmorphine sea as I stood upon an imaginary shore. Calling out from the now shifting sands upon which I stood; I did not. For I accepted words were useless when speaking to dopeheads. Attempting to rescue them from their own dead-end device; I did not. For I knew entering the sea that had grasped them they’d only pull me down with them as they slowly sank beneath the waves. So helplessly, wordlessly, I watched.


I watched as the undertow pulled them gradually from view. Watching, as they became ever smaller until only tiny specks far off in the distance; bobbing atop those ever-hungry hydrochloric salty waters. I saw them disappear somewhere near the horizon, a horizon where rainbows never tread, drifting away from me and toward the shores of Portugal’s coastline. I’ll no longer waste what precious moments still remain for me in this world waiting for postcards; postcards from Portugal. Postcards that would never arrive, since somewhere between Portugal and the deep blue sea, those who erroneously believed they could pull free from that soulless riptide I call heroin, have perished. For you see, finally, this time, I’m truly done! 


April 15, 2022 20:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

37 comments

Stevie B
21:12 Apr 15, 2022

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Every now and then you just have to cut real deep and open up a vein to let a little blood spill if you ever hope to make any sense of the craziness that surrounds you. It's been one of those weeks...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Leticia Mooney
00:04 May 15, 2022

Howdy Stevie, I was invited to comment on your story via Critique's Circle. For much of my professional life I have worked as a critic of books and music. But I lately have a new rule and that is only to cause creators' tides to rise. Therefore, while I can spot a number of areas in which your work could be improved, I'm not going to mention them. Instead, I want to thank you for bringing me through the doorway and deep into your welling pool. It reminds me of one of my mentors, who told me: "You have to be willing to get dirty". The very no...

Reply

Stevie B
02:14 May 15, 2022

Leticia, thank you for reading, enjoying, as well as your kind and thoughtful comment. Not quite sure if I'll ever be a write, but I am indeed a chronicler merely transcribing what I observe going on around me.

Reply

Leticia Mooney
03:31 May 15, 2022

That's all writers ever are, aren't we? :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Skylar Wells
06:35 May 03, 2022

i created an account just to comment on this story. i am a heroin addict, and i’ve been clean 7 months now. this story is excruciatingly accurate. only through complete surrender (white flag waving included), could i ever survive it. i couldn’t beat it, no matter how badly i wanted to. there’s no winning that fight. thank you for writing this story; i really enjoyed it.

Reply

Stevie B
10:13 May 03, 2022

Skylar, thank you for reading, understanding, and commenting. I wish you the best in your recovery.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felice Noelle
01:32 Apr 28, 2022

Stevie: I lucked out this week: I am your friendly Critique Circle commentator, and I had already read your superbly touching story. And the comments left by others makes my task easy. I have read all the other comments and all I can say is , yeah, ditto, me, too. Great story, well written, from the heart, probably from the gut, actually if it is even partially true. I was immersed while reading it, but did not enjoy it because it is so painful for those afflicted. We can only hope that those who suffer have loved ones who don't give ...

Reply

Stevie B
10:16 Apr 28, 2022

Felice/Maureen, thank you for reading and commenting. A lot of love, pain, and truth went into writing it, but by writing it, like lancing a boil, it helped to not only ease the pain but was therapeutic in sorting out some rather troubling thoughts and emotions. Thank you again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jes Jess
08:34 Apr 26, 2022

tick

Reply

Stevie B
10:26 Apr 26, 2022

tock

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lavonne H.
16:33 Apr 24, 2022

Hi Stevie, How true these words of delusion really are: "They’d break, tame, and ride the wild white horse, unlike all the others who’d attempted to bust that bucking bronco before them. They’d be the exception to the rule." Your story was awash with the bleakness, despair and frustration of characters involved with drugs. I can only second the comments by other writers--your metaphor is brilliant (as understood by someone who is terrified of the ocean; literally and metaphorically.) Line that gave me a gut punch: "Fixes - well, ain’t that t...

Reply

Stevie B
17:40 Apr 24, 2022

Lavonne, thank you for reading, enjoying and a very though provoking comment. Addiction is the deluge that often drenches and sometimes drowns those paralyzed within its grasp.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Desouza
16:12 Apr 24, 2022

Nice one. Do check out my latest 'Cloud Gazing Love Story'

Reply

Stevie B
16:28 Apr 24, 2022

Will do, Sarah.

Reply

Sarah Desouza
19:51 Apr 24, 2022

Thanks! U write so wonderfully! Do u think I should enter this story in the contest?

Reply

Stevie B
21:38 Apr 24, 2022

Please feel free to do so.

Reply

Sarah Desouza
07:39 Apr 25, 2022

U think it's interesting?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:37 Apr 23, 2022

wow that is amazing how long did it take and how did you think of it is is amazing.I was wondering if you could help me wright a story.thank you if you can.

Reply

Stevie B
18:20 Apr 23, 2022

Kydalyn, thank you. It took decades and all I had to do was transcribe the truth about actual events that occur in life.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:00 Apr 23, 2022

It's pretty bleak for me. I mean, obviously it's intended to be, so well done on that I guess. I did read all the way through, even though the subject matter wasn't to my taste, so again, that's a win. I agree with the comment about how that is a good metaphor.

Reply

Stevie B
12:43 Apr 23, 2022

Marcus, thanks for reading and commenting. In the end it is what it is...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:01 Apr 22, 2022

This was intense, powerful stuff. The writing was compelling, but a specific line jumped out to me: "The deeper she got into heroin the more I felt like I was standing on a seashore as I watched her being dragged further out into the ocean by a riptide." That's a great metaphor, for a bleak situation. Thank you for sharing this.

Reply

Stevie B
23:35 Apr 22, 2022

Thank you for reading and commenting, Michal. Writing this was no only cathartic for me but a way to obtain a better sense of clarity when looking at the past, present, and hopefully the future...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crows_ Garden
13:12 Apr 20, 2022

Personally, this story hit home, and your writing style made it worth remembering. I relate to your narrator. This story is beautifully written and has a song/poem feel to it. This world, especially America, has it's issues with addiction. Of any kind. You show that here.

Reply

Stevie B
13:23 Apr 20, 2022

B., thanks for reading, enjoying, and commenting. We are indeed a country with many problems.

Reply

Crows_ Garden
13:24 Apr 20, 2022

Of course. America's definitely something.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Francis Daisy
01:09 Apr 20, 2022

Whimsical quality about it really...almost poetic feel.

Reply

Stevie B
11:16 Apr 20, 2022

Thank you, Francis.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:19 Apr 19, 2022

Hi Stevie, I enjoyed this, if that's not weird. I get that it's dark and not supposed to be especially enjoyable, but there's something about your style that I like. I did notice one thing you may want to look at - it seems there is a repetition (almost) of lines at this point: Apparently, according to the cops, she thought it was a good idea to nurse the child as she lay in bed after shooting up. Apparently, according to the NYPD, she thought it was a good idea to nurse the child as she lay in bed after shooting up. Thank you for th...

Reply

Stevie B
16:33 Apr 19, 2022

Katharine, thanks for reading, enjoying, commenting, and especially for catching that repeated line.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sharon Hancock
01:26 Apr 19, 2022

“I watched as the undertow pulled them gradually from view. Watching, as they became ever smaller until they were only tiny specks far off in the distance; bobbing atop those ever-hungry hydrochloric salty waters.” Great story as usual. I really enjoy your voice. Reminds me of radio talk shows and I imagine a deep, scratchy voice. This story hit home today bc someone I love is dealing with (or refusing to deal with) an addiction and I felt him drifting further away today. So, thanks. Your story made me feel less alone. 🙂

Reply

Stevie B
11:27 Apr 19, 2022

Sharon, thank you for your kind comment. I believe I'm slowly becoming better at not allowing my own voice to interfere while truth commands the narrative. It's simply easier to write that way. I wish you the best in your personal journey with a user.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
11:56 Apr 18, 2022

If I had a healthy fear/respect of drugs before, your story took it up a few notches for sure. Well done keeping it real.

Reply

Stevie B
12:26 Apr 18, 2022

Aeris, thank you for reading and commenting. We all must take responsibility for the choices we make.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:50 Apr 16, 2022

I wrote an addiction story last week about my roommates spiral down in addiction. You took it to the next level! and very poetically. great writing.

Reply

Stevie B
14:00 Apr 16, 2022

Scott, thank you very much. What I also hoped to achieve with the tale was to provide a glimpse into how poorly we handle addiction in society. In that area, I believe, most are sorely lacking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
17:09 Apr 22, 2022

The Dream DJ Podcast, now available!!! Join the community of Dream DJ listeners now!!! https://anchor.fm/the-dream-dj/episodes/The-Dream-DJ-Podcast---Trailer-e1hhb8f

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.