63 comments

Creative Nonfiction Inspirational Happy

Thank You, Reedsy

Dear Reedsy,

I wish to express my gratitude to all the creators, staff, professional support members and, of course, the talented contributing authors that make up the Reedsy community. As an aspiring author entering the weekly short story contests my linguistic pursuits have been enhanced and inspired by this online family.

Before I relate my journey let me thank and congratulate Laura for her tenure as prompt coordinator in Reedsy Prompts for the pass five years, if I understand correctly, and welcome Isabelle to the position this week. I wish Laura well in whatever her new endeavor will be. I am sure this job has been rewarding and challenging for her. She handled it superbly.

I must admit sometimes I am befuddled as to why one contest entry won over some of the other excellent submittals I had read during the week but I remind myself I am not a literary expert. So I respect and accept the judges choices. Most of the time I am awed at the prowess of the winners and the shortlisted runner-ups. I am also amazed at the talented writers from all over the world that pour their heart and souls into this platform to make it so outstanding. Wish I could read all of your entries but it is physically impossible. As it is I follow over 400 writers and try to read each of their new entries. Luckily for me, they don't all contribute every week. I notice that in my time participating others come and go as time and other projects allow.

Personally, I started submitting stories in February 2023. As I write in my Reedsy biography I never wanted to be a author. Didn't think I was any good at writing. Did the necessary assignments in school satisfactorily enough to make good grades but didn't enjoy the process. Then some whim hit me and I wrote a whole book. Once it was completed wasn't sure what I planned to do with it. I took an online course from our local community college about how to get published.

That course recommended the Writer's Market annual manual as a reliable source for information. I ordered the book. It recommended entering contests in order to get some credentials behind your name. Reedsy was listed as an excellent resource. Thus I discovered Reedsy. I understand this site is so much more than short story contests but so far have not taken advantage of the other potential benefits. I plan on rectifying that oversight.

My older sister often honored birthdays and anniversaries by writing song parodies. I thought I would return the favor by writing a short story in her honor. My first entry was a tribute to her for her seventy-fifth birthday. It barely caused a ripple on the scale but still I received some encouraging feedback. It is still one of my favorites of my own stories. I believe it has the potential as a children's book. It's something I want to pursue.

(I have heard this expressed by other authors here that it is difficult to be noticed or even found on the website. I sometimes wonder if a search option could be made for an author or the name of a story? My guess is it doesn't exist for our own protection. It would also help if the judges names could be alphabetized:)

Once I started submitting a story every week, not only did I receive encouragement but was also offered constructive criticism on what could be improved in my writing and hints on how to be more noticed by other participants. The best tip was read to be read. If you like, comment and follow someone's works they are more apt to reciprocate and read yours. Even though it not a race for 'karma' points they do register you as an active member of the community. I kept finding more and more friends that I enjoyed reading and they enjoyed mine. Soon, without ever striving to, I found my name on the leader board. Now I am number 18 out of 100! That's a wonder! The leader board is also the place I found some of my favorite writers. Thank you for that feature.

Another bonus for us struggling authors is the Critique Circle. I tried this forum and found it extremely beneficial to get feedback on my projects. However, even knowing it was to improve my skills as a critic, I dropped out because I felt I was short-changing my assignments since I found it hard to find fault and only gave short responses. Some give such wonderful detailed analysis. Very helpful. I can pick out small mistakes but can't expound on the nuances of the piece that the author is probably hoping for. Maybe that's because I don't have the literary background so many members possess.

This entry will be my 80th story. I took down one because it was picked up to be published in an anthology. That was another contest I had entered. Some of my stories are adapted out of the 81,000 word book I wrote. The first fifty pages of it won a medal as the best western genre entry at a prestigious writer's conference after I entered their contest. So take heed, entering contests can get some notoriety and credentials after your name.

That brings me to the point I need to make. I am very grateful for the opportunities Reedsy has given me to showcase my body of work as meager as it is. I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. So much so that I spend all my free time indulging in the richness of the tales spun here. Thus I have sorely neglected the purpose of my beginning this journey. Getting my book published. I have submitted it to some of my contacts but it has been rejected or is still under consideration. To be successful I need to submit it to many more or tweak the content some. I think some of the resources I need have been right under my nose this whole time. I need to research and call upon the talent right here with Reedsy to complete my journey. Therefore, I am stepping away from entering a story every week as I have tried to do and can't promise I'll be able to read all the stories I would like to enjoy. I know I have promised to do this before but must be selfish now in order to 'get 'er done'.

Thank you so much to everyone for all your support and encouragement. It has meant the world to me. I'll still be observing and may contribute occasionally.

Sincerely,

Mary Bendickson, Author on Reedsy since Feb, 2023; one story 'Donuts Do Not Die' shortlisted; one story 'Timothy's Birth Day' accepted to anthology 'Finding the Good Through the Rain'; Winner of Western Genre Claymore Award at 2023 Killer Nashville Writer's Conference

August 02, 2024 16:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

63 comments

Cedar Barkwood
14:02 Aug 04, 2024

This is such a beautiful idea, Laura was a wonderful judge, as I’m sure Isabella will be. Thank you for writing this!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:14 Aug 05, 2024

You are too kind. Thank you.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:11 Aug 09, 2024

Best of luck Mary - and thank you for all your encouragement - I have really enjoyed receiving your comments.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:02 Aug 09, 2024

I'll still try to contribute. Just not as much. Thank you, too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
15:24 Aug 06, 2024

I’m up to 87 stories — Reedsy resurrected something I thought was totally dead for me, and you expressed perfectly how grateful I am. My brand of nonsense probably will never make the shortlist or an anthology, but I’m thrilled to see where Reedsy has taken you and so many other writers here, and I love this outlet for fun and creativity.❤️👍

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:47 Aug 06, 2024

Hi,Martin. I have loved your witty stories (and your witless ones)😜Thanks for commenting on 'Thank You Reedsy'. I really think your stories would be great at Killer Nashville venue. Too late for this year but you could enter an anthology of your mysteries for next year's awards. Manuscript up for the Claymore Award then following year once you find help getting it published could be up for Falchion Award. Check out their website. They love killers and thrillers.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:54 Aug 06, 2024

Another contest I enter monthly ($10) is Elegant Literature. Winner gets $3000. Up to 2000words on a themed topic with a key word included. Mine have never been edgy enough to win but you write such intriguing stories. They also pay for content without entering contest. Check it out.

Reply

Martin Ross
16:17 Aug 06, 2024

Thanks for the advice. I’ll look up EL and take a look at Killer Nashville! You don’t have to be regional for KN, do you? I appreciate your friendship and support!😊😊

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:21 Aug 06, 2024

No. I am farther away than you are and I think they are international.

Reply

Martin Ross
16:24 Aug 06, 2024

Excited! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pei Pei Lin
19:53 Aug 20, 2024

I agree with so many points made in this! Congrats on your win and I look forward to reading your book! :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:09 Aug 20, 2024

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Isabella Montoya
00:07 Aug 16, 2024

I wish you good luck at finishing and publishing your book. Can't wait to read it some day, and I hope to see you back some day here in Reedsy. The thank you letter to Reedsy was a great idea for the prompt. They really have helped me and many other authors start/grow on their writing journey. Great job!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:56 Aug 16, 2024

Thank you for the encouragement and liking my stories. Best of success to you, also.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Detti
18:24 Aug 06, 2024

Mary!!! What a great story but I’m so sorry you’ll be stepping away but so excited for your new focus! You have been an amazingly supportive reader/ author and all round fabulous lady on Reedsy and this platform is so lucky to have you! Wish you well on your exciting journey!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:30 Aug 06, 2024

Thank you so much. Really means a lot to me. Will be checking in.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stefania Katz
15:37 Aug 05, 2024

It is an amazing thank you letter to Reedsy platform! I discovered Reedsy on Twitter, the now X platform!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:00 Aug 05, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Malcolm Twigg
14:44 Aug 05, 2024

Hi Mary. I'm tempted to say 'Creep!', but, actually, never a truer word was spoken in your piece, as I think all members of this community will agree. I think my only criticism of Reedsy is that it seems to be almost exclusively American in nature. Good luck with your venture.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:59 Aug 05, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kim Olson
03:44 Aug 05, 2024

Best of luck to you and thank you from all of us whose work you have followed, liked, or commented on here at Reedsy. Happy writing!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:13 Aug 05, 2024

Thanks so much 😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
11:35 Aug 04, 2024

Thank you for your gentle and kind comments. I always smiled when reading your feedback on my stories. I wish you all the best and hope to read your book(s) one day. This is a perfect story for the prompt.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:29 Aug 04, 2024

And thank you, also.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
08:14 Aug 04, 2024

You are an exceptional contributor to this site and I’m sure many of us on here are grateful for it. I appreciate all the time you give to reading our stories and enjoy your comments. I wish you all the best with your pursuits and understand that you need to withdraw to do this. Hopefully not for too long. You will be greatly missed.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:32 Aug 04, 2024

As I will miss all of you🥹. But I will be looking in.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
03:08 Aug 04, 2024

Good luck with publishing your novel! I've enjoyed each and every piece you've written on here (that I've read) and I will miss reading more. Hope you'll keep writing occasionally and I'll look forward to reading them. Will miss you and your stories!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:33 Aug 04, 2024

Thanks Could go back and read older ones. Some of them are my faves and some or adapted from my book.☺️

Reply

Irene Duchess
16:53 Aug 04, 2024

Yes, I plan to!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:09 Aug 04, 2024

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:03 Aug 03, 2024

Boo, hoo. When I started reading, I thought it sounded a bit final even though gratitude to Reedsy is a fantastic way to respond to this prompt. An author here in Reedsy, who has also left, I keep in touch with still. I did a Beta read/edit for a book of memoirs she wrote. It took ages. I would love to offer my skills for you but haven't the time. I'm so sorry because I have enjoyed the stories you wrote that came from your book. All the best with the project. Here on in, I will read another one of your missed stories a week. I hope you c...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:38 Aug 04, 2024

I'll be back.🥹thanks for the contact info. May take you up on that help.

Reply

20:33 Aug 04, 2024

Be great to hear from you anytime! xxoo

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lewis
21:53 Aug 03, 2024

Your letter is a heartfelt testament to the strength and vibrancy of the Reedsy community. As a fellow author and participant in the contests, I want to extend my deepest gratitude for your kind words and your significant contributions over the past year and a half. Your journey is inspiring, and it’s clear that your dedication and passion for writing have not only enriched your life but also the lives of those who read your stories. I also share your sentiments about the contest results — it's sometimes perplexing why certain stories win ov...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:44 Aug 04, 2024

I have it and will respond soon. Thanks for your ongoing support.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
17:01 Aug 03, 2024

Although I am utterly thrilled for you, I will miss you! You have my email, please keep in touch. I don't need Reedsy to remain one of your biggest fans !!! Just know, I am grateful for you; you were one of the first to recognize my writing on here. I am truly grateful for every comment and for getting to know you through your writing.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:20 Aug 03, 2024

Thank you so much I'll still check in

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
16:42 Aug 03, 2024

You shall be sorely missed, definitely by me. Are you looking for a Beta reader?

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:45 Aug 03, 2024

Know what? I am not even sure what a beta reader is. That's how much of a novice I am. But I believe that would be very helpful.☺️

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:07 Aug 03, 2024

LOL. I'm as ignorant as you, but I think it's someone to read and ask questions if/when things are vague, or needs reigning in. Not an editor. Let me know if/when you want me to take a look. And good luck either way.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:19 Aug 03, 2024

Thanks. Starting to work on all of that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
04:08 Aug 04, 2024

You look for holes in the plot. Things that take you, as a reader, out of the story. Explanations that are vague or missing. Things that raise too many questions that aren't explained or aren't explained at the assumed right time for a reader. Is it believable? It pays to have several as everyone sees and questions different things. Hope that helps.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:20 Aug 05, 2024

Helps tremendously Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
15:29 Aug 03, 2024

Thank you, Mary, to all your contributions to Reedsy, both your own stories and your comments on our stories. I’ll miss seeing your content every week, but I’m glad to see you’re pursuing your goal of publishing your book! I hope to publish a book of my own one day. Thanks for all the support and inspiration!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:33 Aug 03, 2024

Thanks right back at you. Will miss everyone.🥹 Hope to get some read but won't write as often.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
14:19 Aug 03, 2024

Oh, Mary !!! I will miss regularly reading your stories. But, I do understand. You have a big project to finish. I couldn't be more chuffed for you. You always have a way of crafting stories full of fun and humour, and I'll miss that ! PS: Just in case you want to keep in touch, you can reach me at namasayaalexis@gmail.com (Yes, that's just "My name is Alexis" in Indonesian. Hahaha !).

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:25 Aug 03, 2024

Thanks. I'll note that down. Will miss everyone.🥹

Reply

Show 0 replies
21:49 Aug 03, 2024

Senang bertemu dengan anda! I don't know much Indonesian but my mother was born there. (Dutch Indonesian)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:51 Aug 03, 2024

Hahahaha ! I wish I could have been more focused when the Indonesian Embassy held those free classes, but yes, I only know some words too !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Annie Persson
14:02 Aug 03, 2024

I know that myself and a few others are taking a bit of a break over the summer and I'm a bit sorry to see you're doing the same, but I do hope you'll be back soon, hopefully after finding a home for your book! (I had no idea you had ACTUALLY WRITTEN a BOOK. That's awesome!) Your comments have always been so supportive and helpful, and I'm almost sad to know that you won't be on as often. I hope your next adventures, wherever they take you, will be productive and wonderful. Have a lovely time! :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:23 Aug 03, 2024

Thanks for the encouragement. I am rather sorry to step back cause I am addicted 🥹.

Reply

Annie Persson
16:50 Aug 04, 2024

Well, I must say, it's a very good thing to be addicted to.🥲

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:09 Aug 04, 2024

True.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
03:00 Aug 03, 2024

You're a master at matching story with prompt. Even your good-bye fulfills the prompt perfectly. You were the first reedsy author to comment on my stories. You read everyone of them. I wish I was as faithful. I blame it on FedEx. I love your stories, especially your nonfiction. Good luck in publishing your book. I hope you pop in frequently.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:51 Aug 03, 2024

When I get comments like this I am very sad to set this aside. I enjoy it very much but must get other things done 🥹 Been thinking of stepping back for a while but when you're addicted... So when this prompt came up I thought what better way to say so long for a while and thank everyone for the ride.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.