40 comments

Fantasy Drama Thriller

All thoughts – of treasure and fame and glory, of heroics, of wenches lining up as far as the eye could see, of bards and minstrels fighting to sing the better song, of a princess and maybe one day a kingdom, and maybe even one day a couple of wee lads and lasses of his own – vanished from Marcus’s mind, because the damned dragon took flight.

The sudden rush of air stole his breath and his scream, and even the roar of the vile beast was drowned in the noise. All thoughts were gone, and his hands acted instinctively. One held onto his dagger, clutching it just to clutch something, and the other grabbed a spine or spike or whatever the horrid juts of bone were that ran down the monster’s back. And Marcus hung on and wailed as the dragon took them higher.

It had seemed like such a good plan at the time. Sneak up on it while it was sleeping. Jump on its back to keep it from flying. Give it a good handful of stabbings while it was disoriented, and beat the others to the prize.

Turned out the dragon wasn’t much of a sleeper. It heard the others, and in a flash incinerated Adrian and Leofric, and smashed Jonas into the cave wall with its tail, shattering him like a porcelain doll. And disorientation? No. Fury, maybe. It leapt into the air as soon as Marcus fell on it.

They burst out of the cave mouth and into the dizzying blue of the day. Far below him – and far below is never where the ground should be – Marcus saw the world’s tiniest forests blur by. The roaring Halsana River was reduced to no more than a shimmering trickle, and in the distance he could even spot a grey and red smear, which with horror, he realized was walls and shingles – the town of Yarrowport. It had taken them four days trekking across the wilds to get from there to the mountain. How could it be so close? How could it be so small?

The dragon banked and Marcus screamed anew, his stomach lurching. All thoughts of killing the dragon tumbled out of his mind, because at this height, he’d never stop falling.

The beast stopped flapping and sailed on the wind. It craned its neck and its cold yellow eyes narrowed when they spotted Marcus. The thick green scales that passed for its lips parted, revealing teeth the size of arms, and when it opened its maw, Marcus could see an orange brightness at the back of its throat, growing in size and intensity. He saw the end of the world.

Not knowing what else to do, he screamed and raised his dagger high – and the beast must have recognized it for what it was: a jagged foot-long blade, carved from petrified giant-bone. Anathema to dragonkind. Wyrmbane.

For just a second its eyes widened, and then it folded up its wings and fell like a rock. Marcus nearly fell off, his death grip on the back spike slipping. All thoughts were gone, only panic remained. He stabbed down, trying to get any purchase whatsoever, and by some grace of the gods managed to wedge his blade under a scale.

Almost at once, the beast unfurled its wings again, and they came to a trembling glide.

“Remove it!” the dragon bellowed over its shoulder.

“No!” The blade was wedged pretty well under the dull green scale, making an excellent hold for his hand. And it was leverage. It rested against the beast’s flesh, and if he twisted just right, he could pierce the skin, and the wyrmbane would do the rest: death within seconds.

“Remove it now, mortal!”

“No!” Did dragons even speak? Was this actually happening, or had his mind become undone? His hands were starting to hurt from all the gripping, and if he wasn’t careful, he might accidentally kill them both. “Land on the ground!”

The dragon’s whole body shook with great thrumming convulsions, and it emitted a horrid set of booming hisses. It took Marcus a moment to realize it was laughing.

“Remove the blade and throw it away,” the dragon said, “and I will land you safely on the ground.”

Marcus let loose a falsetto squeak, a laugh of his own. “Oh right? Shall I take your word for it? Ha! I’ve heard of the famous ‘honour of dragons’!” Oh, of course dragons must talk – otherwise that wouldn’t be an expression.

The beast rumbled again, this time less jovially. “Do not presume to besmirch my kind, mortal.”

Besmirch? Marcus wondered.

I am not the one who tried to sneak up on you and your unhatched young,” it continued, “with murderous intent.”

“Oh yeah? Well you did swoop down on Fellingsbrook and burn it to ashes! And then Vendelbridge and Carmory too, destroying everything and eating everyone!”

The dragon snorted. “What I do is no different from how your kind herd sheep and cows.”

“Herd!? We care for our livestock! We protect them from wolves. Eating them is a matter of necessity.”

“Indeed,” the dragon rumbled. “Who do you think put the gold seams into the earth, where you can find them? Who do you think keeps the elves at bay, so they don’t steal your sucklings in the night?”

Marcus frowned. “Nice try. Elves aren’t real, they’re just fairy tales. Everyone knows that.”

Again, the beast grunted. “You’re welcome.”

Marcus felt his skin crawl. They were fairy tales, weren’t they? This was probably just a trick. When he glanced behind him he was startled to see how small the mountain looked – no more than a distant pile of gravied potatoes. And if it was small, it must have been far too. He could no longer see Yarrowport, though there were other settlements. But from this vantage, nothing made sense and he couldn’t place things. How could a beast travel this quickly? Truly, flying would be marvellous if it wasn’t so stomach turning.

“I’m sure you’ll agree,” the dragon continued after a time, “about the necessity of eating.”

“Fine. Maybe. You could eat bears or deer or other forest things. You could leave us out of it.”

“I could. But tell me, would you content yourself, eating nothing but onions and leeks?”

Marcus scowled, unsure how to answer.

“I see we’re not so different after all,” the dragon said. “Maybe I’ve misjudged your kind. Come, let us have peace. Throw your blade away, and I will land us, and then we shall feast on deer and tell stories.”

“Yes, excellent. Land, and then I’ll throw my blade away.”

The dragon grunted. “Throw it away now and stop trying my patience, mortal.”

“It’s the only thing keeping me alive.”

I’m the only thing keeping you alive.”

“Oh please! We both know I wield the power here. Now, this has gone on long enough – land at once! Or else!”

“Or else what?”

“I’ll stab you.”

“You might as well stab yourself, in that case.”

“I’m serious!” Marcus wiggled the blade.

“I’m waiting.”

They glided on in silence for another handful of miles, neither moving save for the odd wing twitch or finger spasm.

“Then we are at an impasse,” the dragon concluded.

Marcus fidgeted, trying his best to stretch, to keep his muscles from cramping. As soon as he stopped actively thinking about this, his whole body started tensing again. He knew he couldn’t afford that. He needed a distraction, time to think.

“Nalcrotharoxis,” he said.

“Hmm?”

“That’s your name, isn’t it?”

What!?

“That’s what the king’s wizard said. Or do dragons not have names?”

“What a stupid question. Of course we have names. But human wizards are foolish dabblers and frauds. They shouldn’t be trusted. Nalcosi-what?” It shook its head, rumbling more laughter. “What marvellous idiocy.”

“Well then what is your name?”

“Adelle.”

“A… Adelle.”

“Yes.”

“That’s… hmm.”

“You do not approve? It is an ancient, traditional draconic name. It means one-who-gracefully-sails-upon-the-whispers-of-gods.”

“I just didn’t expect… Actually, my sister is named Adelle.”

“Then she is blessed, to bear a name of such honourable heritage.” Marcus pondered that. Never had he given much thought to names before. “Unfortunately, and ironically,” Adelle continued, “her bearing the name tarnishes that very honour.”

“Hey! My sister doesn’t tarnish anything.”

“It figures,” Adelle said. “Humans are incorrigible thieves. Of course they would even steal our names.”

“I’m not a thief!”

“Indeed! You only invaded my home, to what? Chat? Snuffle for truffles?”

“Shut up!” The perfect response, for when there was no other.

They continued drifting through the sky for a while, neither talking. Marcus spent his time plotting a way out of this – and he had no doubt ‘Adelle’ was doing the same – and frequently found his mind wandering. How far had they travelled was a recurring thought. The dragon was fast and showed no signs of slowing. But surely she would have to rest at some point, right? Even the best horses needed water.

“What’s your name, thief?”

“I’m not a thief.” He scowled. “It’s Marcus.”

Adelle rumbled more hoarse laughter. “Marcus. Of course.”

“What? What’s wrong with that?”

“That’s one of ours, too. It means one-whose-wisdom-calms-storm-and-sea.”

“Well what does that mean?”

“It means that the bearer of the name is wise, and can negotiate peace between even the most bitter of foes.” There was something pensive in her tone. “He is one who finds balance, one who resolves disputes. Tell me, Marcus, are you a diplomat among your kind?”

“No.” Not much of anything, among his own kind. Born too common for honour, too poor for opportunity. Violence for hire, though he’d like to call it heroism. But he’d failed at dragon slaying, hadn’t he? Maybe it had been a wild idea, a daft hope, but still so much better than the alternative. Taking to the highways, and then taking. “I’m a sellsword.”

“Mm, interesting. Names have power, did you know that? Perhaps you missed your calling. Perhaps it’s not too late.”

“What do you mean?”

“This,” Adelle said. “Us. Surely you see this is madness. If one of us does not budge, we will both perish. Yes?”

Marcus swallowed. “Yes.”

“I have faith in you. I think it is no mere coincidence that brought us together today, and no mere happenstance that you were endowed with such a powerful name. Fulfill your potential, Marcus. Seize the reins of your life, and let the wisdom within you, out. Take the first step, cast away your blade, and bring peace to us.”

He swallowed again. He hadn’t thought of his sister in years. Didn’t rightly know if she still lived. Life on the road wasn’t glamorous. Was rarely profitable. Once upon a time he had promised to send her aid, and he wondered: was she still waiting? Or did she know, that every blood-spattered penny he earned, he pissed away on himself?

“You have faith in me?” Could it be? A higher calling, a better way?

“I do,” Adelle said. “No creature is as simple as the skin it wears. I sense great turmoil within you – and great potential.”

“Fine.” How many of his brothers in arms – men he’d considered friends – turned on him, when times became hard? “Then prove your faith. Land, and trust in me to stay my blade.”

He felt a rumble of irritation ripple through the flesh beneath him. “I cannot, and you know this.”

“Then we are at an impasse,” Marcus said.

They drifted further in pensive silence. By the time the sky took on a yellow hue, and the sun began its descent in earnest, the land below them abruptly vanished and was replaced by roiling black waves, with shimmering white crests. Marcus had heard stories of the seas, but his travels had never taken him beyond the coast before. When he looked out to the horizon he saw it was truly endless.

So much water.

“Adelle.”

“Hmm?”

“I need to pee.”

“So pee, Marcus.”

She didn’t speak again for what felt like hours, when the yellow above was tinged with reds and followed by blues.

“Do you have any young, Marcus?”

“Children?”

“Yes. I have a clutch myself. Unhatched, as of yet. Three of them. There were others before, too, but they’ve since grown. Gone their own ways. You?”

“No. Never really had the time. Or the means. I wanted some, I think, but – no. Never actually did.”

“A pity. One must make the time, I find, for the important things.”

“Yeah, that’s probably right. Only, what’s important? I don’t think you know what it’s like. Being one of us, I mean. Every day, a scramble just for bread.”

“Mm. You are right. I don’t know what it’s like.”

The sky grew darker and gradually the stars came out. Marcus was losing the feeling in his legs, unable to get comfortable, and when he blinked he feared he had dozed for a moment. His eyelids struggled to stay open.

When he looked below them, it seemed to him the moonsplashed waters were closer than before. He concentrated on staying awake, focusing on Adelle’s flapping. Only, she wasn’t flapping at all, just deep in a long glide. And the waters were definitely nearer.

“Adelle?”

“Mm.”

“Are you getting tired?”

“Yes, I suppose I am.” The rumbling of her voice was sluggish.

“Me too.” The last of the sun had almost sunk beneath the waves.

“Adelle?”

“Hmm?”

“We need to come to some agreement. We need to be sensible here.”

“Wise words, Marcus. I agree.”

The sun vanished and the stars overtook them. And in silence, they sailed ever forward. And in silence, they drifted ever lower.

September 27, 2023 21:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

40 comments

Danie Holland
00:15 Sep 28, 2023

Loved these lines — “Born too common for honour, too poor for opportunity. Violence for hire, though he’d like to call it heroism.” “No creature is as simple as the skin it wears. I sense great turmoil within you – and great potential.”

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:58 Sep 28, 2023

Thanks, Danie! I liked those lines too, very glad they landed :) Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beth Connor
15:47 Sep 28, 2023

I love how you explore morality and present the complexity in a way I enjoyed reading. I look forward to your stories :-) There were a few moments I laughed when perhaps it wasn't appropriate, including: "Turned out the dragon wasn't much of a sleeper..."

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:15 Oct 01, 2023

Thanks, Beth! Honestly, inappropriate humour can be some of the best :) It's cruel, perhaps, to laugh at suffering, but we wouldn't have The Office without it. Glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:00 Sep 28, 2023

Great story as always. I get the feeling the ending is just the beginning. You have written the impasse so well, neither truly trusts the other and for good reason. The ending is ominous in silence drifting lower. It seems they are both set to meet their fate in ocean.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:45 Sep 28, 2023

Thanks, Michelle! Yeah, it seems ominous to me too. Both recognize the gravity of the situation, but can they muster the trust for the first step? It's like the prisoner's dilemma, only the stakes are life and death.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
05:26 Oct 20, 2023

Hi Michal! Oh, a Dragon’s tail indeed! I appreciated that you set up the peril of the story by acknowledging that your narrator has suffered a great loss in order to get to the point where they’re at. I can’t imagine, knowing people who have died at the end of the beast then I’m about face and yet, you’ve managed to humanize her so beautifully. I think for me it was that line about the unhatched eggs that was so impactful. I also really liked the name that you chose and I thought it was cool that you decided to tie it to our main character s...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:38 Oct 20, 2023

"Suddenly, it’s not so easy to kill the thing that bears your sister’s name" - yeah, excellent point! I think that's the key here, which both of them realize to some degree. Killing or hating some nameless, bestial foe is one thing, but it's a lot harder when you get to know them and realize there's more similarities than not.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nidhi Santhosh
15:56 Oct 10, 2023

Beautiful story... Making your writing humorous while driving a message home is incredibly difficult. Love how you show the dragon's realization that mankind and dragonkind aren't that different after all.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:50 Oct 12, 2023

Thanks! I'm very glad that the messages underneath came through - and that you found it humorous :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
01:34 Oct 09, 2023

Oh no you dinnint. A very funny, warm and charming story that needs an ending. For a story about dragons, it's remarkably realistic in all its various aspects. The fact that neither will give in, each has the power to kill the other but not to save themself. You simply must finish it.

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:58 Oct 10, 2023

You know, initially I saw this as being the end - they both want out, but neither risks the first step, and that's it. Both dead. Maybe by the time someone wants to take a risk, it's too late and they crash into the ocean. But I've had time to ponder it, and maybe there's room for something else. What breaks a stalemate like this? Why, a bigger catastrophe, of course! And stories love us throwing problems at characters. So yeah, might have to revisit this at some point :) Thanks for the feedback, Ken!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chalice Davis
05:13 Oct 06, 2023

I would be interested in reading more of this it is an interesting world. I like how the Dragons can speak and the communication between Marcus and Adelle speaks on perspective that I really quite enjoy reading.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:45 Oct 08, 2023

Thanks, Chalice! Glad you enjoyed it :) Perhaps it'll get expanded one day - I do like writing fantasy. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
19:16 Oct 04, 2023

I would love to use this story to demonstrate plot structure. You have the exposition of Marcus, literally the rising action of Adele taking flight, the climax in the air, and the falling action as they descend toward the water and then even out in flight and story resolution, open as it is. I loved the way they interacted and the insights into their lives as they flew onward, yet never gaining ground with each other. Great job, loved this!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:39 Oct 05, 2023

Thanks, Nina! Ha, it didn't occur to me as I wrote it, but yeah, the physicality of their movements does kind of line up with plot structure :) And then, "yet never gaining ground with each other" is a cunning observation :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
17:23 Oct 04, 2023

Hi Michal. love the way you made the fierce dragon relatable. If only the two could make it work, I sense something amazing could happen between them. The story had a humorous side, but was also about trust and power. Let’s hope there some way out of their predicament.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:39 Oct 05, 2023

Thanks, Helen! Yes, I suspect you're right - together they could probably achieve great things. The trick is getting there, and it sounds like both have been burned by trust before. Not an easy thing to overcome. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Page
14:28 Oct 03, 2023

Wow! Compelling story Michal of a stalemate and your use of language made it a captivating read. You paint a vivid picture of the world and the stakes involved. Another fantastic story! And a very entertaining one.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:47 Oct 04, 2023

Thanks, Jonathan! Glad you liked it :) It's been a while since I've done a more traditional swords & sorcery thing and it was nice to get back to it. Also happy it came out clear and vivid.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
14:17 Oct 03, 2023

Michal, An enchanting tale that somehow made me think of certain conflicts over time between countries. Neither dragon or slayer would back down - even when their continued impasse put their lives at risk. Instead, through the distrust of each other, they continue to attempt to get the upper hand. Neither want to be the first to stand down, so their fates are joined almost in agreement for mutual destruction. Let's hope one of them comes to their senses. A great read. Well done!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:46 Oct 04, 2023

Thanks, Chris! I can see that. As I wrote it, the parallels with denuclearization occurred to me - though I'm sure all sorts of other historic examples could be found. I like conflicts between people who don't necessarily hate each other - indeed, who might even respect each other. Adds a complication to the mix. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
05:28 Oct 03, 2023

An interesting impasse they found themselves in. Sort of the opposite of the prisoners dilemma, they both need to protect each other. Somehow the ending reminds me of MH370.. a dragon flying endlessly into the ocean until he runs out of energy. I couldn't figure out how Marcus could take the dagger out without getting roasted shortly afterward, so it makes sense.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:49 Oct 04, 2023

Prisoner's definitely crossed my mind while writing :) Yeah, I don't know how they get out of this one. Either one of them has the power to end it - amicably - but it's a risk. On the other hand, denuclearization has been ongoing for decades, so maybe we can't blame them. Thanks for the feedback, Scott

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Robert Egan
00:00 Oct 03, 2023

Great worldbuilding details in this story, and I like the idea of dragons as herders of humans. However, I must take umbrage at the disparaging remarks concerning the name Nalcrotharoxis; among my tribe, it means one-who-loudly-knows-the-lyrics-to-every-single-song. But seriously the names were among the best parts!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:50 Oct 04, 2023

Yeah, the names were unreasonably fun to work with :) Being one who frequently digs into names - as I'm sure most writers do, hitting those name lists and baby name sites and whatnot - it's surprising the stuff you can dig up, meaningwise. Glad you enjoyed the story - thanks Robert!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Audrey Knox
13:52 Oct 02, 2023

I was so immersed in this! I wanted them to come to an agreement at the end. Adelle could be such a powerful ally to Marcus. I loved the action in this. I jumped into the story and got invested in it right away. lmao typical male to think "oh, I'll just jump on the dragon's back to prevent it from flying. What could possibly go wrong?" (also laughed at the line "The perfect response for when there was no other." so true.) And I really liked the dragon's personality. My only real note is does this actually fit the prompt? It feels less li...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:48 Oct 02, 2023

Thanks, Audrey! You raise a good point, about the prompt. He certainly started off wanting to kill the dragon, and that changed to "doesn’t want to kill it *right now*, because he'd die too." But I wonder. By the end, I think he might actually be willing to just walk away - except he doesn't trust her. And I suspect she's in the same boat. Glad you enjoyed the story! It was a fun one to write. Long ago, I got interested in writing mostly due to the over-the-top fantasy tales, but I've drifted away from that since. Definitely nice to get ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Luca King Greek
14:08 Oct 01, 2023

Good story, well-written. Funny and a little sad. Great job

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:39 Oct 02, 2023

Thanks, Luca! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
17:20 Sep 30, 2023

Good story! I expected one of them to surrender but I like your ending better.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:41 Oct 02, 2023

Thanks, Kailani! Glad to hear that :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
15:27 Sep 29, 2023

Your stories always inspire deep thoughts. Well done again.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:28 Oct 01, 2023

Thanks, Mary! Very happy to hear that :) That's the hardest trick, I find, having a story prompt some thoughts that outlive the tale itself.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Adrienne Ellis
04:32 Sep 29, 2023

This is such a touching story. There is such a gentle sweetness to it. I really love this.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:38 Sep 29, 2023

Thanks, Adrienne! Very glad to hear that! Gentleness seems at odds with the life-and-death scenario, but maybe when the stakes are so high, it opens the door for honesty, and a strange kind of intimacy even among rivals. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
01:24 Sep 28, 2023

Your stories always have such a charm to them, and they always end as if you're tucking your story in for bed. It sounds weird, but it's definitely a compliment, lol. The dialogue between the two is interesting and it is what gives the story poignancy. Can two opponents pause and have meaningful conversation? Can they put aside the conflict and be civil with each other? Impasses happen all the time - people can't agree and then relinquish all hope of progress. Especially now, though I'd argue a lot of people who find themselves at a disagr...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:55 Sep 28, 2023

"always end as if you're tucking your story in for bed" - that's a fantastic way of phrasing it :) I was partly inspired by scenes I've seen, usually in crime or action movies, where you get a standoff with everyone pointing guns at each other. There's a pause there, as you realize you can kill someone with the merest squeeze of a finger - but so can you die. A pause that naturally opens the door for conversation, and because the stakes are so high, you can strip out a lot of the smalltalk and filler. (Although, there is room for lies, man...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
04:32 Sep 29, 2023

I definitely thought of my favorite American "The Office" scene when Dwight and Michael and Andy engage in a dramatic stand off, all unwilling to surrender 😅 But yes, I agree, once you empathize with someone, killing them becomes much more challenging. I suppose, it's kinda like naming an animal you intend to kill. Though I know farmers do this with livestock, but those of us who aren't accustomed to doing that might have a harder time naming the bacon 🥲 Which makes the discussion about names in your story all the more significant. Vilifi...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
15:27 Sep 29, 2023

Your stories always inspire deep thoughts. Well done again.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.