Two Lies and Aruth

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write a story about an ordinary person speaking truth to power.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Friendship

TWO LIES AND ARUTH

Three friends walked arm in arm in arm down a narrow road. They gossiped and giggled as fourteen-year-old maidens tend to do. But these were no ordinary maidens, not daughters from the local farm or shop. Fuscia was Princess of the land, out on a secret jaunt, joined by her two trusted handmaid friends—Kandace and Aruthel.

“Aruthel, where did you get such a horrid name?” Plump Kandace asked as she chewed on an apple. She had a healthy appetite and no tact whatsoever.

Fuscia scowled playfully at her. “Now Kandi, it’s probably a family name. Right, Ruthie?”

Aruthel shook her head and grinned. She would’ve played along with the gest, but she couldn’t lie, even as a joke. She had an uncontrollable tell when she lied, so she just didn’t.

“No, I don’t know where I got my name. Maybe I was cursed by a bad fairy.”

They all laughed, until Kandace put a hand on her arm and stopped them. “I wonder if a bad fairy killed your parents and gave you that awful name.”

Fuscia and Aruthel tilted their heads at her. No tact at all.

Most of the time, Aruthel shrugged off the fact she was an orphan. The King and Queen had taken her in and raised her, the perfect playmate for Fuscia, so she was quite blessed. But sometimes she cried alone and wished she had a mother and father of her own.

“Enough about my silly name. We should head back. It’s almost time for tea.”

Fuscia and Kandace smirked at each other.

“We’re not going back for tea.”

As they reached a fork in the road, signifying the edge of the kingdom, Aruthel stood in front of them with fists on her hips.

“Fuscia, not again.”

Fuscia pouted at her. “There’s a fair just over the hill in Quagshire. It will be such fun. Please?”

Kandace sneered. “We’re going. Unless Ruthie plans to run back and tattle on us.”

“Come on, Ruthie. Just for a little while. We’ll be back for supper. I promise.” Fuscia crossed her heart.

Aruthel sighed and rolled her eyes. “Oh, all right.”

They locked arms again and continued their giggling as they wondered what they would find at the fair, maybe some cute boys. Aruthel secretly enjoyed their innocent adventures.

← ? →

At the fair, they found a variety of local folk—from farmers and servants to the Lord and Lady of Quagshire. And everyone was having a rip-roaring time. There were games of chance and games of skill, races, pony rides, music, dancing, and food, food, food. The sights, sounds, and smells beckoned the girls to join in the merrymaking, and they did.

Fuscia beat an older boy at arm wrestling. Kandace won a candied apple in a knife-throwing game. And to make sure Aruthel didn’t miss out on the fun, the other two girls pushed her onto a stage to join a line of fair maids in a smile contest. She tried to leave, but a manager kept her in place. Aruthel stuck her tongue out at her teasing friends.

When her turn came, she looked away and scowled. Until she caught a glimpse of Fuscia and Kandace in the audience making silly faces at her. She grinned and laughed, shaking her head at them. And she won! They crowned her Princess of the Faire and placed a crown of flowers on her head.

“I can’t believe you two did that.”

Kandace curtsied. “But your highness, it was only befitting.”

Fuscia half-smiled. “I would’ve won if I’d gone up there.”

Kandace rolled her eyes. “Right.” Aruthel elbowed her. “I mean, of course you would have.”

Aruthel blushed as people congratulated her or bowed as they passed. She wanted to toss the silly crown to the ground and trample it.

“It’s getting late. We should head back.”

Fuscia pouted, then pointed. “One last game.”

Three boys loafed at the donut-on-a-string game. Ruthie had to admit, they were cute.

“Fine. One last game.”

The boys grinned as the girls approached. Then a girl not much older than they stepped into their path and scanned them up and down.

She spoke to Kandace in particular. “I see you’re fond of sweets.”

Kandace fingered the knife in her belt.

Fuscia took over for her. “I’ll be winning that prize.” She ate as much as Kandace, but never gained an ounce so her healthy appetite didn’t show.

A silver serpent ring was displayed on the finger of a wooden hand set on a table.

The older girl huffed at her. “We’ll see. I hope you’re hungry after sampling food at the fair all afternoon.” She called one of the boys, “Gorza, you’re up.”

Of course, he was the biggest of them.

The other two boys tied both contestants’ hands behind their backs. They had to eat three donuts hanging from a string, each higher than the last. It looked easy.

“Three, two, one, go!”

Fuscia and Gorza each chomped the first donut in two bites. The second took them three each, then they slowed. They had to jump for the third, which made the donuts swing.

Kandi and Ruthie shouted encouragement, but the boys and older girl just grinned.

With one bite left, Gorza stumbled and fell. Fuscia won!

The girl snatched the ring, shoved it at Fuscia, then stormed over to the fallen boy.

“Gorza, you clod. That’s coming out of your pay.”

The girls ran off. When they reached the road home, they slowed and admired the best prize of the day.

← ? →

On the way back, Aruthel felt like they were being watched. When they reached the fork, the three boys from the donut game jumped out of the woods at them.

The girls screeched.

“Sorry we startled you. We didn’t catch your names before. I’m Toliver. This is Ento. Gorza, you met.”

Gorza kicked the dirt at his feet and blushed.

Fuscia giggled. “I’m Fuscia, and this is Kandace and Aruthel. Nice to make your acquaintance.”

Kandace grinned at Gorza. But Aruthel frowned. She couldn’t shake the bad feeling she had.

She whispered to Fuscia, “We need to keep moving.”

Fuscia waved her away.

Toliver nodded and grinned at his friends. “We don’t want to keep you, but there’s a cool spring just down the path. Would you like to join us for a quick drink?”

“No,” Aruthel blurted.

Kandace and Fuscia grimaced at her, then smiled at the boys. “Yes.”

“If Aruthel doesn’t want to come, Ento can keep her company. We won’t be long.”

They walked down the path and were soon out of sight. Aruthel felt awkward standing there with the boy, and she didn’t want to encourage him. Hopefully, they’d be back soon, like they said.

But as the shadows crept closer, Aruthel knew they’d been gone long enough.

“I’m going to get them. It’ll be dark soon.”

Ento smirked and reached for her.

Aruthel kneed him in the groin and ran toward the castle to get help. Something was very wrong!

← ? →

Aruthel burst into the dining hall and threw herself on the floor in front of the King and Queen, panting as she told them what happened.

The King stood. “We must go at once!”

Aruthel sat in the carriage with the Queen as they sped to the fork in the road.

“I’m sorry we went to the fair. Fuscia and Kandace insisted. I should’ve been stronger.”

“There, there, dear. We’ll find them.”

But they didn’t. After searching the area for hours, they found no trace of the girls or the boys or even a spring.

The King’s advisor pointed at Aruthel. “She’s lying! She disposed of the girls, possibly selling them for prophet, else why did she return alone? That is the only explanation!”

The King and Queen were so distraught, they just nodded.

“Put her in the dungeon until we decide what to do.”

Aruthel’s eyes bulged at them. They wouldn’t even look at her as the soldiers took her away. How could they accuse her of lying? She never lied. Ever. And they'd know if she did.

← ? →

Aruthel hugged her knees and rocked herself. How could they not believe her?

She shouted, “It’s just not fair!”

“Right quite. Fair not.”

The strange, small voice came from the next cell.

“Who’s there?”

“There who’s?”

She was in no mood for games. “Stop that. My name is Aruthel. Who are you?”

“Miss apologies.” Then he slowed his speaking. “My—name—is—Parsnip. A pixie I am.”

A pixie in the dungeons? Preposterous! But maybe he could help her escape. Then again, if he was captive, maybe not. So many questions.

She settled on two. “Why do you speak that way? And why are you in the dungeons?”

“Dis—lex—ia. I words reverse. I was here put for pranks playful and explanations poor.”

Aruthel chuckled, surprising herself. He seemed harmless.

“What do you did?” he asked.

“I did nothing! My friends were kidnapped by some ruffians and disappeared. The King and Queen think I lied and had something to do with it, so they put me in here. But I never lie!”

“Ever never?”

“Never ever.” Aruthel shivered. “Well, mostly never.”

“Your story me tell.”

She was getting used to his way of speaking and told him her tale.

“…and now I’m stuck in here with no way to help them.”

“Ah. Help I can. Those ruffians rankles are called. To their lair they lure youths innocent in disguises to syphon and steal their purity spells for.”

Aruthel squinted as she puzzled out his meaning. “That’s awful! So how can you help me escape to find them?”

“Lie you the guard to.”

“Lie?”

“Lie. Yes.”

“But I told you I can’t lie. I have a terrible tell.”

“Posh pish. Plenty of fix to time.”

← ? →

After practicing a bit, she was ready.

“Guard. Please come!”

The guard looked down at her. “What?”

Aruthel breathed deep. “It’s my mother. She’s very sick. I have to go to her.” She tried to control the shivering, keeping her hands behind her.

“You’re an orphan. And an ungrateful orphan at that, Miss Aruthel.”

So, he knew who she was. Time to try the second lie.

“I know. But once Fuscia is married off, I’ll have nothing. How about a deal? If you let me go, I’ll split the treasure I buried for selling her.”

The shivers were harder to control, and her teeth chattered. She walked it off.

The guard crossed his arms. She wasn’t fooling him. He shook his head and walked away.

She flung herself at the bars. “Wait! I’m sorry. I’ll tell you the truth. Rankles kidnapped my friends, and I want to sacrifice myself to save them.”

The guard raised an eyebrow at her. “Okay.”

“Really?”

“Really?” Parsnip echoed.

He unlocked the cell and nodded.

“Can the pixie come with me? His service to me could be his penance.”

The guard shrugged and opened the pixie’s door too.

Parsnip looked like a pink-skinned young boy. But as soon as he exited the cell, he shrank into a glowing pink firefly.

“Worked truth. But work it won’t rankles on. Love they illusion and lies.”

← ? →

A full day had passed, and the sky grew dark as they reached the fork in the road. Parsnip rode on Aruthel’s shoulder. But something still bothered her.

“Why didn’t you fly out of the dungeons?”

“Had they dust pixie paralyzing.” He froze and fainted, acting it out.

“Oh.”

They took the road less traveled.

Soon, they spied a light in the woods. A path appeared leading to a cottage.

“Be that them. On you’re.” Parsnip flew up into her hair like a pink bow.

Aruthel took a deep breath and walked down the path.

When she knocked, an old lady with a big dog greeted her. “A lost little soul. You look hungry. Come in and rest while I fix you something.”

Aruthel didn’t want to waste time. “Enough with the show, just kidnap me and get it over with.”

The woman and dog shivered slightly then looked at each other and shrugged. They transformed into rankles—a boy and a girl in their teens, but with blue scaly skin and slicked back blue hair. They smiled evilly at her, showing their pointy fangs.

Aruthel recognized Ento, the boy she hurt, and blinked at him. The girl flicked her in the head, and she was out.

← ? →

A tugging on her hair woke her. She blinked at the bright sun and looked around. She was lying in a field. Was she dreaming?

Parsnip tugged again. “Woke up bout time you. Moving get or root you they will!”

“Not yet. I need to find Fuscia and Kandace.”

“There they’re.” He pointed.

“In the flowers?”

“The flowers they are. Closer look.”

Aruthel squinted and was able to make out their faces on the flowers. Their eyes were closed. She wanted to wake them.

Parsnip flicked her ear. “Him it’s.”

A larger, older boy rose from the grass. His dark eyes glowed and stared as he studied her. He seemed more mature than the eighteen-years he appeared. He slithered over to her, swishing his legs and body side to side in a smooth swagger. His hands fondled the flowers as he approached.

“Who have we heeere.?” His voice was throaty and drawn out.

Her two captors rose from the grass beside her. Aruthel searched the ground and hid a rock in her skirt. Had those two been there the whole time? They lifted her by her arms, making her stand.

The girl spoke. “She’s the one who hurt Ento. The one who got away.”

The head Rankle slithered closer and reached out to caress Aruthel’s cheek.

“How niccce. What isss your naaame?”

She flinched then stood firm. “I’m Aruthel, and I’ve come to, to join you.” She let the shiver wash through her, not trying to conceal it from them. They didn’t know her tell.

He circled her. “Feisssty, isn’t ssshe. But only runawaysss can join usss. Did you run away, little girl?” He lifted her chin and gazed into her eyes.

Time for lie number two. “Yes. My parents hated me and kept me locked in the barn like an animal. I had to get away.” Her eyes stared steadily into his, though her body shivered violently from the lying.

“Interesssting. Are you cooold?”

Aruthel couldn’t bear any more lies. She wasn’t good at making them up like Fuscia, and it was getting harder to deal with the increasing chills electrifying her system.

“No. I’m lying, you selfish beast. I’m here to save my friends!” She threw the rock at the Rankle’s slick head.

He easily slid to the side. Aruthel was no good at weapons either, not like Kandace.

Her guards gripped her tighter. She wouldn’t be able to surprise them again.

The Rankle laughed. But did she detect a ripple of a shiver?

“Well, you and your friends’ deliciousss innocence will keep usss young for decadesss. Root her, Sssarah.”

While Ento firmly held Aruthel, Sarah dug a hole.

Aruthel struggled as the head Rankle slithered away. Then she straightened.

“I see through your disguise. You’re old and decrepit. Your scales are graying, and your heart is a crumbling stone.”

The Rankle shivered and froze. As he slowly turned, the scales on his arms faded from blue to gray.

“Silence!”

She’d found his weakness. But she had to expose him before she was rooted.

“Fuscia. Kandace. Wake up! Parsnip, do something!”

The pixie flew from her hair like a pink butterfly and fluttered by every flower, plucking petals as he passed. It worked. The flowers opened their eyes and stretched awake.

Aruthel shouted, “See him for what he is. See through his disguise!”

The Rankle shuddered. The truth was destroying his illusion. “Help me, children!”

Ento turned into a wolfhound and growled at her. Sarah whistled, and more rankles rose from the grass.

Aruthel backed away from them and fell into the hole.

The ground swallowed her feet. She couldn’t move.

The Rankle straightened. “Good work, my children.”

Aruthel felt her legs melding together and her body stiffened. She had to keep trying.

“Listen to me, children. You don’t have to obey that old viper. Your real families love you and miss you. We can help you return…”

The transformation was complete. Aruthel was a flower. Her voice, a whisper on the breeze.

But she was still aware. Parsnip landed on her.

“Okay it will be. Here am I.”

“Can you hear me?”

“Barely.”

“Spread this message to the runaway rankles…”

Parsnip nodded and fluttered around, whispering the message. Soon the children were whispering to each other, shivering at the truth as their blue skin faded.

They glared at the snake and shouted.

“You don’t care about us!”

“You use us like you’re using them!”

“You stole us from our families!”

The Rankle shuddered and shook with every shout.

“No. I love you. Sheee’s filled your heads with liesss. I made your better!”

The children chanted as they converged on him. “Lies, lies, lies.”

He shrank, shielding his face. The flowers wilted and withered as he weakened. And the children shed their scales as they shattered his deception.

Soon the Rankle was nothing but a snake who slithered away.

The flowers were gone, too.

But in the grass lay several bewildered girls and boys. The children helped them up. The spell was broken!

Kandace and Fuscia ran to Aruthel and hugged her.

“Thank you!”

Aruthel smiled. “I hope you learned your lesson.”

Kandace bumped shoulders with her. “We should’ve trusted your instincts.”

But Fuscia shrugged and fiddled with her hair. “I don’t know. We had great fun at first. If only Kandi had put up more of a fight, we could’ve escaped and… Ouch!” She spun around and rubbed her bottom.

Parsnip flew to Ruthie’s hair and giggled.

Aruthel grinned. “I guess the truth hurts.”

April 06, 2021 17:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.