Maev and the Gift of Flight

Submitted into Contest #195 in response to: Write a story that includes the phrase “Rome wasn’t built in a day.”... view prompt

6 comments

Adventure Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

Maev let out a frustrated sigh. It had been three months. Three months and she hadn’t been able to master a single spell. She stared at her red, shiny scaled hands hoping they could give her an answer. Groaning Maev flopped back onto her bed. 

It’s not fair! she thought sullenly. She had been given this gift, or more a curse rather, that had transformed her into a dragon. It had been her ticket to get into the most prestigious school for spells & incantations in the Kingdom. Before she could run circles around all those naturally gifted wizard wannabees, but she lacked one critical thing; the ability to cast a spell. When she had become a dragon the school had accepted her without a second thought. And yet, she still couldn’t cast one bloody spell! 

She rolled over, buried her head in her pillow and let out a stifled scream. 

“Troubles?” came a voice from behind her. Startled Maev yelped.

“For being such a big, bad dragon how could you be afraid of little old me?” 

Maev’s eyes narrowed on a sleek, midnight black cat perched on her windowsill. 

“What are you doing here?” asked Maev waspishly. 

“It that anyway to greet an old friend?” the cat said as he leapt from the sill and landed on her desk chair. 

“We are not friends!” Maev said as she threw her pillow at him. The cat neatly jumped off the chair avoiding the pillow as it careened into her desk knocking over her drink and spilling it onto the hard wood floor. 

“Really? After all I’ve done for you,” the cat smiled slyly. 

“Did for me? Did for me? You turned me into a bloody dragon!” 

“And isn’t that what you wanted? To be a powerful wizard. Cast all those little spells that you had been practicing all those years and yet had nothing to show for it?” 

“I didn’t want this!” Maev said motioning up and down her body with her hand. 

“And I still can’t cast spell,” she said mournfully as she sat dejected onto her bed and lay back. 

The cat jumped up onto the bed and walked over to her head. 

“Rome wasn’t built in a day,” the cat said matter-of-factly to which Maev cocked an eyebrow in confusion. 

“Rome?” 

The cat sighed and stepped onto Maev’s chest, sat down and looked into her eyes. 

“The point is that you may now have the natural ability, but you’ve never harnessed it before. All that prancing about, waving your hands and reciting words meant nothing because you had never tapped into your true potential.” 

Maev propped herself up on her elbows now suddenly interested. 

“How, how do I do that? The teachers at school can’t help. My parents are clueless. Even the other dragons avoid me like I have the plague.” 

The cat rolled his eyes. “They can’t because they never had to learn something that came naturally to them. Think of it like breathing. What would happen if you tried to stop breathing?” 

“I’d die?” 

“Exactly!” 

“There is magic in you and all around you,” the cat said waving a paw in the air. 

“You just need to see it, grasp it, pull it to you and then release it.” 

“How on Earths do I do that?” 

“Well, you already have!” 

“What?” 

“Think about it. When you were first transformed into a dragon you weren’t a full-size dragon but a humanoid-sized version. And even more so. Instead of just being a smaller version of a dragon you created two legs, no snout but a humanoid looking face with a thin nose, lips, two arms, no tail, no wings. You forced yourself, unconsciously, to try to appear as humanoid as possible. And yet you have been able to shift from this form to being an actual dragon. Just like breathing you don’t think about it. You just do it. And that all starts here”, the cat said and patted her heart. 

“You need to believe that you can. That it’s as part of you as breathing. Once you make that connection, that link to your power will unlock the dormant ability to manipulate meta energy to cast spells and more!” 

Now Maev was really intrigued. 

“What more could I possibly want to do then cast spells?” 

“You think to small. Too narrow. That is why you fail liebchen.” 

“Lieb-what?” 

“You’re focusing on the wrong thing! "the cat said in frustration digging his claw into her stomach. 

“Ow!” Maev shouted and she swatted the cat off her. 

The cat growled. His green eyes flared before he settled back on his haunches. 

“Why do you care anyway? What’s in this for you?” Maev asked uncertainly. 

“Me? My dear, I have heard you first complaining and crying how your life was ruined now that you were a dragon. And then you moaned and groaned about how you couldn’t cast one single spell. Your classmates laughed at you. Your own kind ridiculed you! And I felt, somewhat, responsible for what happened.” 

“Somewhat? And how have you heard me complaining? Have you been watching me?” Maev asked, incredulous. 

“Observing,” the cat corrected. “From a distance. You and I share a bond. One that will come to its conclusion at some point. But until then I need you as much as you need me.” 

Maev considered the proposition. The cat, though he wasn’t a cat at all, only appeared when he wanted something. Something that, for whatever reason, only she could provide. She had never pushed him as to why or what this end conclusion could be. It certainly didn’t sound good, but she could also just be overthinking it. It wouldn’t be the first time. 

Besides Bodine the cat or dark elf was right. If he could help her somehow tap into her now native abilities, then she could cast spells. Then not only would her teachers be impressed but everyone would realize how cool she really was! Not just a bookworm that could recite every spell by memory, use perfect gestures and intonations.  

Maev took a deep breath then held out her hand.  

“You’ve got yourself a deal,” she said with finality. 

The cat jumped up onto her shoulder and held out a paw. Maev shook it then asked, “So what now?” 

“Now we do what most dragons do when their hatchlings and learning what to do with their arms, legs and wings.” 

“Wings? I don’t have any wings.” 

“Precisely. Now let’s make our way over to the window.” 

Maev walked hesitantly to the window. 

“Now what?” 

“You jump of course,” the cat said casually. 

“I what?” 

“We’re only two stories off the ground. You’re a dragon now. Your body can withstand so much more then that!” 

Maev grumbled then peered out over the ledge. Before she knew it she was falling. Fast! 

I-I can’t believe it! He, he pushed me!! 

Maev smashed into the ground leaving a massive hole in the courtyard of the school outside the dormitories. 

As she slowly got up, she could hear the cat tisk from above. 

“Please tell me that wasn’t your plan? To push me out the window and hope my wings would miraculously sprout!” 

“Perhaps we need to be higher,” the cat ruminated aloud. “Dragons do often make their nests at quite high altitudes. Helps to avoid scavengers and predators.” 

“We’re nowhere near any mountains and I’m not throwing myself off of one,” Maev said dejected. 

“Are we really?” the cat said eyeing the school tower that rose high up above the campus with a phalanx of smaller towers that jutted out above the horizon. 

“No, no way. The Towers of Capelastegui are off limits to all students. And besides they’re supposed to be haunted.” 

“Do you want to tap into your magical abilities and show all of those idiots that judge you how great you really are?” 

Maev looked away from the cat and at the ground. It would be good. It’d feel right. She looked up at the towers then back at the cat. 

“Fine. But how are we going to get in? The Headmistress herself put a barrier spell on the towers to keep students with what she called an ‘unhealthy amount of curiosity and time’ from wandering into there.” 

“Did she really?” the cat said as he sauntered around the side of the looming towers and to the back. “I suppose she never considered there could be a backdoor?” he said smugly, motioning with his head towards a small crack of an opening at the base. 

“You might be able to fit through that but how on Earths am I?” 

“Again, you’re thinking too narrow!”, said the cat nastily. “You can change your size, shape and form with but a thought, remember?” And with that he walked through the crack. 

Easy for you to say, she thought. You can turn into a bloody pint-sized cat! 

Maev took a deep breath, closed her eyes, swallowed hard then gave the crack a hard stare. I can do this. 

Maev took one hesitant step then another slowly making her way closer to the tower. 

“Oh, come on already!”, the cat barked. “The longer you take the more likely that blasted Headmistress of yours has cast a detection spell to alert her if someone is getting close. Now move!” 

Maev grimaced, took a step back then charged at the wall staring down the hole and willing, no begging that she wouldn’t just hit a protective barrier and be sent flying back. 

At the last moment she closed her eyes and winced. When she opened them, she stood in a musty corridor dimly lit by gleaming flames in iron sconces that hovered on the walls. 

“I-I made it!” 

“Yes, of course you did,” the cat said dourly. “Now let’s get a move on. Who knows what detection spells she may have cast or that we’ve already tripped.” 

“Wait, detection spells? She could know I’m here?”, Maev panicked. 

“I could get suspended. Maybe even expelled! Oh, this is bad.” 

“Well, that won’t happen if we hurry up! Here, this stairwell leads up.” 

The two started up the stairs. At each turn there were narrow vertical slots that allowed her to glance outside. As they continued to circle, she could see the ground getting further and further away. 

At last, they reached the top of the stairs where a wooden door blocked their way. Maev reached forward and pushed it open. In front of them was a long wide corridor. 

“This must be a connector to get us to the other towers,” the cat said as he hurried along. 

Maev followed after him. Along the walls were the same floating sconces with flickers of orange flame flapping in an invisible wind. Next to one was a golden gilded framed painting of a woman. Her raven black hair was luscious and thick pulled up and back from her forehead by a simple golden crown that came down to her pointed ears. 

An elf? That’s odd. Why would there be a painting of an elf here? Maev thought curiously. The women’s smile was thin and seemed to Maev to be forced. Almost like she was sad. Maev looked at the elf’s eyes. In comparison they were bright, fierce and alive. 

“Do you like what you see?” came the flinty voice from the painting. Maev stumbled backwards against the far wall. The elf slid out from the painting and hovered in front of her. 

“OhmiEarths! The Headmistress put a ghost here to catch us!” 

The elf looked at her as if confused. 

The cat, who was now at the far end of the hall turned back to see Maev on the ground with the floating spectre in front of her. 

“Maev! Run!” he shouted. 

Maev scrambled to her feet and charged down the hall towards the cat. 

“Oh, there’s no reason to leave in such a rush. It’s been so long since I’ve had any guests. Please, do stay awhile. I’d rather enjoy the company.” 

Maev felt herself slowing down until she came to a complete stop. She then gradually began to turn until she was facing the ghost. 

“Maev?” 

“I can’t move!” Maev said in alarm. “Get out of here Bodine! Go!” 

The cat snarled and started to transform but then suddenly stopped. 

The elf looked at the cat then back at Maev. 

“What do we have here?” She lifted her hand and Bodine floated up then whisked towards her. 

“Very interesting. Not a changeling. No. Something different,” she said eying the cat. 

“You don’t know who you’re messing with lady,” Maev said trying to muster as much confidence as she could. She knew Bodine was powerful. Maybe even more powerful than the Headmistress since he was able to break through one of her spells. If anyone could get them out of this it’d be him.  

“Quite right my dear,” she snapped her fingers and the cat transformed immediately into a dark elf. “No, still not there,” she thought ruefully. 

The ghost elf’s eyes narrowed as she focused on Bodine who twisted and contorted screaming in pain. 

“There’s more to this dark elf than meets the eye. This is no elf,” she said with disgust. 

“Stop!” cried Bodine. 

Maev looked at Bodine then back at the elf ghost trying to figure out what she was talking about.  

“You placed your trust in the wrong man my dear or should I say boy.” 

“No! Don’t listen to her Maev!” 

“Probably not much older than you I believe. Certainly not from our world or even our universe. How peculiar.” And with that she tossed Bodine down the hall. He crashed against the far door and fell in a heap. 

“But you, you are something else all-together different,” the elf said, and she motioned with her finger causing Maev to float closer to her. 

She’s just a ghost. She can’t hurt you, Maev’s mind raced and then the ghost reached up and touched Maev’s cheek causing her to gasp. 

“Oh, how good it feels to touch flesh again,” the elf said her smile now turned up and broad revealing rotted yellowish teeth. 

“Maev!” Bodine shouted. Maev frantically turned to look at him. 

“You have to...you have to try.” 

“Enough!” the elf commanded. She waved her hand striking Bodine across the face knocking him out. 

“Bodine!” 

Maev looked back at the ghost anger contorting her face. Come on Maev, think! There must be a spell I’ve learned to expel ghosts. Her thoughts moved in what felt like slow motion. Normally she could just think of a spell, and it would pop into her mind but now pages upon pages from texts of the types of ghosts, wards and protection spells flipped through her memory. Summoning, barriers and shelter spells all collided in her mind. What is it? 

“You and I will have such fun together”, the elf ghost cackled as she dragged a nail down Maev’s cheek causing a thin trickle of blood to run down her face. 

That’s it!, Maev realized. Blood! The entrapment of spirits spell. All I needed was a little blood.  

Maev struggled against the elf’s magical grip to raise her hands up and dab at her cheek taking a pinch of blood. Then she flicked her wrists as she recited the spells words, “Hartu arima bizi hau eta jarri nondik datorren.” 

At first only tiny sparks of white light flecked off her hands. 

“Ha! Little girl! You are no mage! You are not even a dragon! You...are...nothing!” 

Maev glowered down at the elf. Her fear turned to anger. Her anger into a loathing that centered all her hurts, pains and trials squarely on the elf. Every time she had been teased. For all the times she had been stepped on and pushed aside. It was her fault she was in this mess. Her fault that Bodine had been hurt. And now Maev had had enough! 

A thin, glowing white string spread between Maev’s two hands and connected with a flash of startling brightness. The spirit elf released her and took a step back. 

“No!”, the elf frantically shouted, and she lifted her hands to cast Maev away, but nothing happened. Maev rose to her feet and spun her hands in a circular motion until the string became a white, pulsating box. 

“¡Konprometitu!”, Maev roared as she thrust her arms straight out sending the square spinning towards the ghost. 

“No! No!”, she shrieked as the square hit her full on throwing her back against the picture frame. Strands of glowing white string attached themselves to the painting then wrapped around her body pulling her backwards. 

“No! I won’t go back! I won’t!”, howled the elf but the force was too strong. Inch by inch she began to disappear until all of her was secured in the painting. 

Maev collapsed to the ground in exhaustion as Bodine came running up to her. 

“Are you okay?”, he asked her. 

Before Maev could answer a raging wind gusted all around them dragging them towards the painting. 

“We have to go!” Bodine shouted over the now gale force winds that ripped at their clothes. The two looked about searching for an exit. 

“The window!” Maev directed pointing at the thin slits along the wall. 

“We’ll never make it!” 

Maev wrapped her arm around Bodine’s waist, then with two quick strides dove at the window. The wall burst as stones flew out in a mighty explosion. Out from the gaping hole flew Maev and between her feet talons was Bodine. 

“We did it! I-I can’t believe it! We did it!” cheered Maev overcome with such giddy happiness she had forgotten about how much the containment spell had taken out of her. 

That we did liebchen. That we did, thought Bodine as the two flew out across the campus and into the darkening horizon ahead. 

April 23, 2023 03:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Julie Grenness
21:54 May 03, 2023

So well written. This is a great tale of enchantment, full of imagery and magic. The author's choice of language and imagery was intriguing, and apt. This story built to an evocative ending. I hope you keep on writing. Epic!

Reply

Daniel Rosas
21:08 May 05, 2023

Thank so much for your kind words and great feedback Julie! I'm so glad that you enjoyed it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:03 May 02, 2023

Fun fantasy flight!

Reply

Daniel Rosas
18:40 May 02, 2023

Thank you for the feedback Mary! Very much appreciate it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Sweet
21:53 Apr 29, 2023

Fun story! Seems like a chapter of a much larger work, but it works on its own here. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Daniel Rosas
18:42 May 02, 2023

Thank you David! This character is absolutely part of a much larger universe so you're probably sensing that aspect. Very glad that you felt this short story worked on its own. Appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.