17 comments

Lesbian Contemporary Coming of Age

I really don’t like talking to people. Especially new people. I don’t know why I spoke to that pretty girl in the library. 

“Hi!” 

She looked up from a well-worn paperback. A pair of eyes flashed at me. My face went red. I don’t know why I kept talking to her.

“What’re you reading?

Actually, I do. While I was exploring for essay resources, I noticed her reading. I was getting ready to enroll in the university of any lawyer's dreams. I caught sight of her with my eyes wandering like they normally do. She was the epitome of the phrase "Emo Princess," and I was there for it. Essay resources? What are those? All I could think of was talking to her. She seemed like a person I’d like to talk to. Wait. I don’t know how to talk to people. But she was so pretty. Smoky eyes, short dark hair, and she was reading a book. Ha! Easy conversation starter! Assuming one knew who to communicate with other human beings, that is. My anxiety got the best of me after I stood there for what seemed to be years too long. I’m not the type to talk to pretty girls. But then, my legs, of course, disobeyed all orders to flee and instead made their way straight to the girl.

“-work of fiction.” She finished, before eying me.

“What?”

She had been talking, and of course my brain wouldn’t shut up and listen. Internal monologue. Every single time. My thoughts are far too important, and I just can’t seem to ignore them. Around and around they swirl and- crap, I’m doing it again.

“Yeah, many consider it a quintessential work of lesbian fiction.” She said.

I heard her that time. Clear as day. Lesbian. As in women-loving-women. Girls who like girls. I’m a girl. I’m a girl who likes girls. I like this girl, and she’s reading a lesbian work of fiction?!

“Cool.” I managed to say. “I like the kite on the cover.”

“It’s symbolism. One of the best literary tools.” She smiled. I turned into a tomato. She glanced back at her book. I was desperate to keep the conversation going. So I went into full fool of myself mode.

“I’m Campbell!” I blurted. Her smoky eyes looked up at me.

“Hi Campbell. I’m Ammara.”

Ammara. Really an emo princess name.

“What’s so good about the symbolism? You don’t seem like the symbolism type.”

Her eyes again. I said something wrong. This is why I don’t talk to people.

“Well,” Ammara sighed. “Looks can be deceiving, or they can be more accurate than you could really ever realize.” She smiled at me. I don’t know how, but her vagueness made her cooler and more attractive. I started staring again. Then my socially awkward personality set in, deciding that the silence had to stop.

“What’s the kite symbolize?” I asked.

“Freedom.” Ammara said. “And a lack of stability. The string keeps you stable, but also keeps you from reaching your greatest potential. But, without it, who knows where you’ll end up. You could see places beyond the atmosphere, where no tied down kite could see. Or, you could crash. Missing your connection to the planet, you have nowhere to be and nowhere to go.”

I was dumbfounded. I needed time to ponder the comment. Of course, my mouth moved faster than my brain.

“What’s your string, Ammara?”

The emo princess grinned and soon responded. "The desire for greatness. These expectations keep me grounded and provide me with a clear picture of the future. Ironically, I'm well aware that they're preventing me from reaching my full potential. What would life be like if it weren’t so planned? What could I do? Who could I be? Where would I fly?”

Once again, my brain left the building, all I managed was “wow”.

“Campbell,” Ammara said. “What’s your string?”

I was not prepared for philosophy. All I wanted to was talk to a pretty girl. But, no that I’m here, I don’t want to stop talking philosophy with a very pretty emo princess.

“I have no idea!” I said too quickly.

“Really?” She asked. “Hmm... What’re your plans for the future? That’s usually a good place to start.”

I was confident in my ability to respond to the question. I’ve been trained to answer that question. That question was answered by my essay resources, my college-bound future. My dead-end office job… My entire life has been spent preparing for this moment. I had memorized my future-self monologue, which I'd been working on for years. I made the decision to give Ammara the greatest performance possible. Robot mode is activated. 

“I intend to practice criminal law as a lawyer. I've been studying diligently for years and have my sights set on all of the top law schools. I’ll work for a firm here, no need to leave when there are jobs here. An apartment close to everything. A family, maybe. A bank account, a job, and a retirement plan. A small, steady life. Who could want more? So, there you have it. That is my dream.”

Ammara studied me. Too deep into robot mode.

“Really? You don’t seem like the lawyer type.”

I looked at her. “What?”

“Campbell, you have the potential to be better! I can already sense that you are capable of so much more! Campbell, who could you potentially be? What would you do if you realized your full capabilities? Where could you possibly go? You deserve to loosen your strings!”

“I don’t-”

Ammara stood up. “You could be among the ones who soar. Don’t you see?” She walked past me. She glanced back at me briefly.

“Bye, Campbell.”

I walked over to Ammara's newly-abandoned table, nearly stumbling over my own legs in the process. I took the battered book with the kite on the cover from the shelf. It was an old book by an author I hadn’t heard of. I opened the small book, took a deep breath, and I loosened my kite string.

April 22, 2022 03:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Aiden Otaktay
14:06 May 05, 2022

"I really don’t like talking to people." Mood "I’m not the type to talk to pretty girls." Same "She smiled. I turned into a tomato." Don't expose me like that 😭🤚 I really really love this story especially this paragraph: "She had been talking, and of course my brain wouldn’t shut up and listen. Internal monologue. Every single time. My thoughts are far too important, and I just can’t seem to ignore them. Around and around they swirl and- crap, I’m doing it again." It's relatable as heck- Awesome first submission!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Laura Eliz
18:24 Apr 29, 2022

I love the language you use in this story. I really enjoy your characters Campbell and Ammara. I look forward to reading more of your work!

Reply

18:26 Apr 29, 2022

Thank you so much for reading! I really enjoy your character work as well! I look forward to more of your work too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
💫 Sophia 💫
12:36 Apr 29, 2022

I love this story immensely and I can't wait to read more of your work! The character development is amazing and I love the use of symbolism.

Reply

14:27 Apr 29, 2022

Thank you so much! I’m trying to include more literary tools and I started with symbolism! You’re a great writer and I can’t wait to read more of your work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crows_ Garden
11:30 Apr 29, 2022

OOOoooOOOOooo I like this story, beginning to end. Especially the end, that was adorable. Ammara seems so hyper yet chill and I'm here for it.

Reply

14:25 Apr 29, 2022

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your kind feedback! You’re a great writer and I can’t wait to read more of your work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
08:33 Apr 29, 2022

Hey, Ella! Lovely first story, the symbolism was top notch and it made the ending super satisfying as a reader. Great work :)

Reply

14:22 Apr 29, 2022

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your kind feedback!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
06:40 Apr 30, 2022

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Riel Rosehill
21:55 Apr 27, 2022

Woah, hi! Awesome last sentence! Also, Campbell is SO relatable... For someone who was prone to crushing on emo princesses back in the day, I totally get it. I would have 100% also stared down Ammara and I also can't talk to people, but Campbell is braver, because she actually tried, LOL. I had so much fun reading this, well done!

Reply

21:58 Apr 27, 2022

Thank you so much for your kind feedback! I really appreciate it! You are such a great writer and I can’t wait to read more of your stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
00:36 Apr 27, 2022

This story is so relatable, Ella. I think you really hit at the truth of how difficult it can be to talk to a crush (even more so when you're LGBTQ+). I seriously felt like I was watching my past self while reading this and reliving all the awkwardness that comes with this kind of situation. So, well done there! I really love the symbolism of the kite and the strings (great story title, by the way). I never considered that before until Ammara (great name, it really IS giving me emo princess vibes) said so. And it tied beautifully into the la...

Reply

02:31 Apr 27, 2022

Thank you so much for your kind feedback! You’re such a great writer and I’m looking forward to reading more of your stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
00:01 Apr 29, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

00:12 Apr 29, 2022

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! You are such a great writer and your feedback makes my day!

Reply

Unknown User
00:22 Apr 29, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.