Guiscard Lescot and the Wolfish Bedevilment of Klöpz

Submitted into Contest #170 in response to: Start your story with the line “I’ve got a plan”. ... view prompt

44 comments

Adventure Historical Fiction Funny

“I’ve got a plan.” Those were the words that doomed Guiscard Lescot, just two days ago.

He reached for the next branch and pulled himself higher up the tree, sweat cascading down his face. Not only did it sting his eyes, his stupid chapel de fer kept sliding down too, making it impossible to see. When he finally wedged himself between two branches he took a breather and adjusted his helmet. His whole body was on fire and his heart stampeded in his chest – worse even than when he faced a cavalry charge on foot.

Two days was all it took for him to go from vagabond-destined-for-poverty-but-alive, to glory-seeking-idiot-that-dies. He huffed, lacking the energy to really berate himself. If only he had listened to his father. “Better to be poor and hungry, to marry an ugly girl, to keep fleas, to sire simple children, to work dusty land for an ungrateful lord, and to be alive, than to chase some idiotic notion of honour and wind up a bloody smear for someone else’s coin.” Wise words, he now knew. Wise, even if they came from a man who drunk himself stupid one night and fell down a well.

At the base of the tree beneath him, the bear roared, and Guiscard let out a most unmanly wail. Unwomanly too, and even most children would have been ashamed of it. He grasped the bark harder and shivered loud enough for the branches to rumble. At least, he thought, I am safe in this tree.

The bear rose on its hind legs, sniffed up at him, and then began climbing.

“Oh, for crying out loud!”

***

Two days ago, he stumbled on a nameless little hamlet called simply Klöpz, buried somewhere in the armpit of Upper Bavaria. The slack jawed children ran barefoot onto the muddy paths and marvelled at the brave foreign knight who had just arrived, and the young maidens fluttered their lashes at him and blushed.

Then the mothers corralled them all in their homes and gave him the evil eye, and the fathers started muttering about strangers. They grabbed their cudgels and formed a circle around him.

“Just who are you and what are you doing in our home?” they asked.

“Easy, friends, I’m just passing through,” Guiscard said, holding up his palms. “I thought I’d buy some bread and find a place to lay my head for the night.”

“That accent!” one of the men shouted. “You’re a foreigner. Where’s that from then, eh?”

“Friends, friends,” Guiscard said, with a nervous chuckle. “It’s true, I’m a man of Paris.”

Guiscard flinched when the men all in unison spat on the ground.

“Oh!” said a pock-marked young man. “Look at that on his back! Is that a devil bow?”

Guiscard frowned. “It’s a crossbow.

“A true coward’s weapon, truly,” said a squat, balding man.

Guiscard grimaced. As they talked, he spun around, addressing all of the men in turn, and it made his stomach roil to count over twenty of them in all. If this got violent, it would go poorly. Well, it was going poorly, it would just go poorerly.

An old man stepped forward, this one wearing shoes. The others all grew silent and watched this new one. He beheld Guiscard with the unnerving gaze of a seasoned grandfather, and Guiscard found he couldn’t meet those unblinking eyes.

“So, boy,” he said. “You’re a deserter then, is it?”

“N-no!” Guiscard blurted out, almost at once. How did the old man know? And anyway, it wasn’t really desertion if your unit was routed and your commander was killed. It was… retirement. Yes. Nobody paid him to die.

The old man sneered, and the others – where they had been merely suspicious of a stranger before – now glared at him with the fury reserved for cowards and oath-breakers.

“So what are you then?” asked the old man.

“I’m,” Guiscard began, and then scrambled to find something – anything – because all he could see in his near future was this pox riddled rabble stringing him up in the town oak. “I’m a hunter,” he continued, and then he saw their glares deepen, because of course, what kind of a hunter would need a chapel de fer and a chained mail? So he added, “of monsters,” and immediately regretted it.

But the townsfolk recoiled in shock, and even the old man’s brows rose.

“A hunter of monsters? Is that what you said?”

“Y-yes.”

“My word,” the old man said, chewing his lip. A tentative smile formed on his face. “My word! Our prayers have been answered!”

The crowd cheered and patted Guiscard on the back, and the mothers let their children into the streets again. And Guiscard gulped.

***

The tree groaned each time the bear laboriously hoisted itself further up the trunk. It was nearly a third of the way up, or so Guiscard thought, but it was hard to tell by looking down at it, and doing so made his head spin.

He climbed up a few more branches himself but they were thinning out, and there was a limit to how much higher he could go.

“Go away, devil!” Guiscard shouted.

The bear roared up at him.

“I’m serious! This isn’t funny!”

The bear grunted and climbed another foot.

Guiscard assessed his belongings. He had dropped most of his kit at the base of the tree – and scattered around the forest, probably, as he dropped a lot of things in his mad dash – but he still had his axe. He drew it and waved it menacingly. “I’m warning you, bear! I have an axe!”

The handle slipped out of his sweaty palm, and the axe tumbled to the distant ground with a thud.

The bear snorted and climbed another foot.

“Ah, merde.”

Guiscard looked around for any way out. It occurred to him he was really high up, and for a moment, the bird’s view of the forest took his breath away. If he wasn’t about to be mauled to death, this would have been a serene and inspiring vista. Alas.

His tree and the trees around it were higher than most around, atop a hill, and there was a river nearby. A river! That was it. He’d be safe there, only it was too far a jump from the tree. Although, there was a branch nearby… if he could just climb out onto it, he might be able to fall into the water below.

The tree juddered as the bear climbed, and Guiscard scrambled for the branch. It was slow going, as the branch was narrow and the vertigo was intense, but he was encouraged by a healthy fear of being eaten. The further he went out, the more the tree bowed towards the water – Just like a bow! he realized.

But when he got to the edge of the branch, it was still too far to the river. Then suddenly, it wasn’t. The bear had made it up to the branch and roared, but its added weight made the tree dip just far enough. Guiscard flung himself from the branch with a scream.

At least, he thought, I will be safe in the water.

Then he saw the bear, too, dive into the river.

Oh, for the love of it!

***

“So you see,” the old man – the alderman of Klöpz – said, “we have a problem with a man-wolf. The bedevilled creature has been murdering our goats for two months now, and we fear it’s only a matter of time before he goes after our dogs, or our mules, or even our children.”

“Yes, most dire,” said Guiscard. They sat in what passed for the town’s inn, which was also its hall, and the residence of the alderman.

“And of course,” the alderman added, “we’d be willing to pay.”

The pile of silver caught Guiscard’s eye. Twenty pieces. It was by no stretch of the imagination a fortune, but it was a lot more than the zero he had in his pockets. And besides, he couldn’t well refuse, lest these bumpkins went back to thinking him a deserter. And then there was that one comely lass that had baked a pie for him, filled with berries and promises. Yes, he couldn’t well refuse.

“I accept your offer,” he said. “I have heard your plight, and I will slay this monster for you. I’ve got a plan.”

He didn’t.

It wasn’t until he was out in the god-forsaken woods alone, with a full stomach and an empty bladder, that it occurred to him he had no idea how to even find a man-wolf, much less kill one. Well, it was probably like everything else in life. Just put your faith in God and he’ll sort it out. Guiscard prayed over his weapons. Guiscard prayed he was on good terms with the Almighty. Guiscard even promised to build a cathedral if the Lord helped him out – and then backpedalled to visiting a cathedral before the prayer took flight.

And God must have heard his prayers, for he saw a sign that night. As he was drinking at dusk, enjoying the mild spring weather, he saw a silhouette of a man-like figure in the distance, with a lupine snout. And then he heard the unmistakeable howl of a wolf. He set out at once, but couldn’t see anything in the dark, so he slept instead.

In the morning he found tracks – boots, perhaps, and not his own. He followed them as long as he could, and by noon he stumbled deep into the woods and saw his quarry. Only, it wasn’t a man-wolf at all. It was the biggest bear he had ever seen, slumbering lazily. And the boots must have belonged to one of the townsfolk, and no doubt the bear had eaten him.

Well, Guiscard thought. The silly townsfolk thought they were beset by a demon, but it turned out to just be a bear. Nevertheless, this is a fine quarry. I’ll kill the beast, take their silver, and sell that fur for a good penny. And they’ll celebrate me.

He drew his crossbow and took aim. If there was one thing he was, it was a good shot, and there was little doubt this stupid brute would fall to his trusty weapon.

Just as he was about to fire, a bumblebee bumbled into his nose and he flinched. The bolt flew high. Instead of piercing the bear’s skull, it grazed its fur and woke it.

“Merde,” said Guiscard. He threw his crossbow at the bear and ran, and the bear roared.

***

Guiscard awoke with a torrent of coughing. He must have been laying on his back because he rolled onto his stomach and pushed himself onto shaking arms, and retched up the remains of river water. Then he collapsed again with a groan, wanting nothing more than to sleep off this terrible feeling. But he remembered his ordeal.

He forced his eyes open and found himself staring at a man-wolf.

The man-wolf sat on the opposite side of a crackling fire, surrounded by trees. Various animal skins were hanging around the place, including a particularly large black fur. There was a tent nearby and a collection of spears and other tools in several piles. And the man-wolf was sitting on a stump. He was tall and broad, and covered in fur – only, it occurred to Guiscard that his arms were bare, like human arms. And his snout… well, his face was actually inside the snout, so it wasn’t really his snout at all.

Actually, it looked like the man-wolf was just a man wearing a wolf pelt.

“You live,” the man-wolf said, his voice deep but not unusually so. He jabbed a stick into the fire and stirred up some sparks. A pot suspended over the flames was coming to a boil.

Guiscard coughed and winced. His throat was parched. He drew himself to his knees and fought off dizziness, and then realized he was in his under clothes. He did spot his mail nearby in a clump.

“You sank like a stone, in that stupid thing,” the man-wolf said.

Guiscard blinked the blear out of his eyes. He saw the big black fur hanging from the tree had a bear’s face attached to it.

“Did you not know bears swim?”

Guiscard shook his head. Well, he knew now. “You saved me?”

The man-wolf grunted. “You frightened my quarry. For weeks I’ve been tracking this cur. But I suppose you tired him out somewhat, so I should be thankful. Yes, I pulled you from the river.” He motioned to the fire. “Come, sit. I have food.”

Guiscard obeyed, his stomach growling. He sat on a log and accepted the wooden bowl of piping stew. There were big chunks of meat in it.

“So tell me,” the man-wolf said. “Why did you wander into the woods?”

Guiscard ate some of the stew, even though it was too hot. He looked around the camp and marvelled at all the pelts. So this was what a hunter actually looked like. Then he saw goat skulls.

“I’ve been contracted by Klöpz,” he said, “to hunt a monster that’s been killing goats. A man-wolf.”

The man-wolf chuckled roughly.

“It’s you, isn’t it?”

The man-wolf shrugged. “They don’t leave me much choice. The idiots have it in their head I’m an outlaw, so for all intents and purposes, I am. My name’s Ulf, and I’m just a man, no wolf.”

“Guiscard Lescot. Veteran crossbowman and… monster hunter, I guess.”

“Crossbowman? Without a crossbow?”

Guiscard winced. “I think I threw it at the bear.”

Ulf snorted another chuckle. “So, tell me, monster hunter. Is there a reward for this man-wolf?”

“Yes, damn near twenty pieces of silver.”

Ulf smiled. “Well, it just so happens, that stew there? Ten pieces of silver.”

“Bandit!”

“If you’d prefer, I could throw you back in the river.”

Guiscard moped into his stew. Well, splitting the prize fifty-fifty wasn’t too bad an idea, after all. He’d still get a decent chunk, and at least he was alive. Shame about the bear pelt though, that was out of his reach.

“You’ll leave the townsfolk alone?”

“Yes, yes,” said Ulf. “Time I moved on from here.”

“Okay,” said Guiscard. “Deal.”

And that evening he brought the bear’s skull to Klöpz, and explained it had been responsible for their plight. The townsfolk cheered his bravery, paid him, and celebrated their new hero, and life was good.

Until the next morning when the local baron rode into town and arrested Guiscard for poaching.

October 31, 2022 22:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

44 comments

AnneMarie Miles
16:09 Nov 01, 2022

Very entertaining story! I love how easily you can write of another time. And add all the necessary humor. I imagine if I were in a tree with a bear after me, I wouldn't have a comedic bone left in my body. The way the story splits, going back and forth, was a delightful and offered more pieces to the puzzle in a humorous way. The existence of a real wolf-man came as a surprise after you convinced us it was the bear taking the town's goats, but it offered a satisfying resolve. Of course, Guiscard being arrested for poaching was the kicker!...

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:53 Nov 02, 2022

Thanks! Heh, I didn't actually realize bears would climb trees until I did some research for this story, since it seemed like such a trope to just climb one to get away. Turns out, not so helpful. They climb, they swim, they run fast as hell... Moral of the story, I guess, is don't get into trouble with bears :) I'm glad the back-and-forth with the scenes worked. It's a bit of a cheat to get a gripping first scene (because "man walks into boring village" isn't all that exciting), but I'm always a little leery of ending up with something co...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:37 Nov 02, 2022

Oh yeah bears are pretty gnarly. Don't want to mess with a bear. Having a bear climbing up a tree after you is definitely a realistic and frightful setting for a story. I wouldn't call it so much a cheat, but a technique 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rama Shaar
08:21 Nov 01, 2022

I loved this one! Very easy to picture and the twists and turns were great.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:04 Nov 01, 2022

Thank you :) Glad to hear it was easy to visualize!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cindy Strube
01:11 Nov 01, 2022

Well, that was picturesque and fun! Poor Guiscard - a rather reluctant hero? Seems like he can’t win for losing… It’s your trademark style of rollicking adventure, absurd and yet easy to picture. Great story! One possible line edit, unless I’m being dense: to keep flees?… Fleas? Or - ???

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:09 Nov 01, 2022

Reluctant hero sounds about right :) I've had this idea for this "monster" hunter for a while now, and this prompt seemed like a good fit to do something about it. Glad it was enjoyable! And excellent eye! That was definitely meant to be fleas. Thanks Cindy!

Reply

Cindy Strube
18:25 Nov 02, 2022

You’re welcome - sight-editing (if that’s a term) is like an involuntary reflex! ; ) I like the concept of “doing something about” a story idea - they do just keep piling up, and must be processed or discarded!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
19:42 Nov 02, 2022

Your historical fiction is always a wild ride. I really liked your MC character here. Seems his actions eventually caught up with him. His personality seems realistic and cohesive--he lies, he abandons his responsibilities (or rather retires from them), and he barters with God. Maybe he'll pass by a cathedral on his way to prison haha. So many great lines, these were my personal favorites: "At the base of the tree beneath him, the bear roared, and Guiscard let out a most unmanly wail. Unwomanly too, and even most children would have been as...

Reply

Michał Przywara
00:37 Nov 03, 2022

"Shakespeareing" - frankly, if we're not making up new words and spellings, I don't know what the point of writing is :) History intimidates me, so when I get an idea I have to strike, lest it fizzles. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Aeris Walker
00:43 Nov 03, 2022

History is intimidating—especially when writing fiction. You could spend an hour just researching which beverages were consumed by (x) people in (x) time period.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tommy Goround
04:26 Nov 03, 2022

note: Aeris took 2 of my 'best quotes' i was going to give you. Unmanly Wail. I missed cathedral though; kudos.

Reply

Aeris Walker
11:50 Nov 03, 2022

😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
07:52 Nov 02, 2022

A story, as unique as its title! I think this is your 3rd story in an unnamed medieval historical humour series that I have read:-) How do you come up with these clueless, hilarious characters? This Guiscard person was so traumatized by a bear, but still had a few funny things to say! The way you have sneaked in some wisdom(vagabond-destined-for-poverty-but-alive, to glory-seeking-idiot-that-dies.) was not lost on me either. And that's a tricky balance to achieve as a writer. The twist and another witty name Ulf,( ha ha) gave it a befitting ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:17 Nov 02, 2022

Something that's always appealed to me about history is how humans used to view the world, and how those views changed - like in this case, forest monsters. And looking the other way with sci-fi, how the views will change. "How do you come up with these clueless" - heh, I'm not sure. Maybe it's autobiographical :) But I also like when characters get themselves into trouble and a good way to do that is having them leap before looking. Good catch on Ulf :) I'm glad you enjoyed the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
19:21 Nov 01, 2022

Great characterization here. Guiscard is the archetypal "plan man" whose plans are always foiled by an indelible stain of bad luck. Your sense of humor, as always, is on point, and your writing improves with every venture into uncharted territory.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:26 Nov 02, 2022

Thanks, Mike! I'm trying to get over my aversion to anything historical, which is probably most rooted in a fear of getting the facts wrong (not counting the wrong facts that are wrong on purpose, of course.) I think you're right about the "plan man" - I envision all sorts of misadventures he bumbles into head first. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Mike Panasitti
01:54 Nov 03, 2022

I'm all for accuracy in historical fiction, unlike much contemporary output from Hollywood, which seems to be eschewing it in favor of the questionable politics of representation. This story was comical, which is difficult to misrepresent since it is a currency of all cultures. Praise to you for confronting your aversion head-on.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
10:49 Nov 11, 2022

I smiled reading this from first word to last. Delightful! Charming! More please. This reminds me of the "Fractured Fairy Tales" (for those old enough to remember Rocky & Bullwinkle). This ----------> Klöpz LOL

Reply

Michał Przywara
17:00 Nov 11, 2022

Heh, I do remember Rocky and Bullwinkle :) And you're right. While I wasn't thinking of them when I wrote this, I did have subverting fairy tales on the mind. Hunt the monster only to discover it's something mundane, that kind of thing. Thanks for reading, Deidra!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
16:33 Nov 09, 2022

Fun and smart - perfect combination. In my head while reading, it was even more effective when I inserted (my interpretation of) a French accent. seriously hahaha!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:40 Nov 09, 2022

Thanks, Susan! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks in accents :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angela Porter
03:37 Nov 09, 2022

Oh my! I so enjoyed reading this! Still laughing. Thankyou!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:48 Nov 09, 2022

Thanks, Angela! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KarLynn Erickson
00:51 Nov 09, 2022

Clever story! I like this so much! You are a great writer! Thanks for the story!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:51 Nov 09, 2022

Thanks, Kar Lynn! It was a fun one to write, and a character I've been hoping to get into a tale for a while. Thanks for the read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:29 Nov 07, 2022

Michal, I LOVE this so much! The irony and wit you bring to this prompt are so refreshing. I was chuckling all the way through. I love the never ending slew of challenges that Guiscard continues to face. He is so resilient and improvises rather well, even though his plans don't always go the way he thought. My favorite moment -- “I think I threw it at the bear.” (I laughed out loud at my desk) Well done, sir! -insert round of applause-

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:47 Nov 08, 2022

Thanks so much, Hannah! Very happy to hear about a LOL :) I think this week's theme was neat, because anytime a character makes a plan is the perfect time to screw it up for them, and bam: instant conflict.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sophia Gavasheli
15:05 Nov 07, 2022

Just when I thought it couldn't get any funnier, I read that last line. Amazing! I love how you start with the bear scene, insert a flashback, and return to the action. It made the story more intriguing. Actually, this story reminds me of your other one, "Bob Bought a Farm." I feel like Guiscard is a very believable, relatable character. I was rooting for him throughout. I hope this gets some recognition this week!

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:42 Nov 07, 2022

Thanks, Sophia! Yeah, it seems I somewhat regularly feature characters that leap before looking :) Oh well, characters must get into trouble before they can get out of it, after all. I'm glad you liked it, and I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
03:42 Nov 07, 2022

"Guiscard even promised to build a cathedral if the Lord helped him out – and then backpedalled to visiting a cathedral before the prayer took flight." - My favourite and a laugh too. Michał thank you for the great visuals with this HF SS. Loved it! LF6

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:36 Nov 07, 2022

Thanks, Lily! I'm glad to hear that :) I guess that's an important lesson, watching what you promise, and to whom :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zoë Page
17:24 Nov 06, 2022

Great story! Loved the tone, it created some brilliant humorous points throughout. One of my favourite examples is "If he wasn’t about to be mauled to death, this would have been a serene and inspiring vista. Alas." You still show Guiscard's terror of the bear whilst adding in his foolishness and sarcasm. The structure was interesting too. I liked how you sectioned it, occasionally switching between the escape from the bear and the explanation of how Guiscard got to that point. It keeps the reader engaged and interested, while also having ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:42 Nov 07, 2022

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) Balancing mortal terror with humour is a fun exercise - but don't underestimate bears :) I'm glad the scene arrangement worked out all right. I've gotten some mixed feedback on it, and that kind of structure where you start in the middle of things and flashback is still a skill I'm developing. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
07:59 Nov 05, 2022

The armpit of Upper Bavaria; living in Lower Bavaria near Munich and given how most view their Alpine jewel, this had me nearly wetting myself. I may well reach for that phrase when asked where I've ended up in life. Great comic timing in this one and the structure worked to your advantage. While I was reading, I got thinking about your penchant for silly errant hero- wanderers ( loved the other Arthurian Monty Python send up you did). I'm sure this would do well on a British platform; your style of humour is so Holy Grail here. Loved all th...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:43 Nov 07, 2022

I'm glad to hear that :) If these stories can get a few laughs, that's awesome. I think there's a lot to explore with people who get themselves into trouble. Lots of fun to be had. This whole prompt and theme of plans going awry is excellent :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
00:59 Nov 05, 2022

A man looking for a career path, finds himself a new title-Monster Hunter! poorerly or poorly-er?

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:47 Nov 07, 2022

Perhaps just poorliester :) You never know when a new career opportunity will present itself. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
15:08 Nov 03, 2022

Loved it! The humor was quite well-balanced with Guiscard's dire predicaments. The ending was right in line with Guiscard's luck - or lack thereof. Superb tale, fun to read, and very engaging. Great work!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:12 Nov 03, 2022

Glad to hear it, thanks! He's definitely got some bad luck :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
05:32 Nov 03, 2022

A timepiece of a story with excellent details of the time. Wonderful timing on the "I hunt monsters" mid-story twist. title: Guiscard Lescot and the Wolfish Bedevilment of Klöpz "Gee-Scar? Le haha Scott?" Google translater does not like Klöpz (Reminds me of a town name near the river that the Khan used to wade into. A Danube hamlet mainly. Fun fact: if an English City doesn't have "the stocks" near its church -- it is considered a hamlet and not a proper town. The difference is voting and whatnot. ) ::: Best Hits (prose):::: -...his stup...

Reply

Michał Przywara
00:29 Nov 04, 2022

Ah, vulpine! Of course, you're right. I went with the wrong beast there. You're right about his name. Probably has Scottish roots somewhere along the way. Klöpz though is a made up onomatopoeian name, vaguely inspired by the sound of a tired farmer losing his grip on a shovel, and that shovel falling onto fresh mud. I appreciate the feedback, and the in depth analysis!

Reply

Tommy Goround
01:27 Nov 04, 2022

Your response was awesome. I only had to look those words up cuz I never use them.. But I kept thinking of Scott christ-son. The Scottish thing works because you had some detail similar to that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
15:08 Nov 03, 2022

Loved it! The humor was quite well-balanced with Guiscard's dire predicaments. The ending was right in line with Guiscard's luck - or lack thereof. Superb tale, fun to read, and very engaging. Great work!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.