6 comments

General

“Can you keep a secret?” 

“Nope.” 

… 

“Are you really my friend!?” 

“Sometimes I question that myself. In all honesty, if our mothers weren’t best of friends, I doubt I’d even associate myself with you.” 

“Wow! Talk about dropping the ball!” 

“Sorry, I really don’t get your baseball terminology Logan.” 

“That’s why you’re not on the friggin team!” 

“Correction my meat-headed friend. I chose not to run around and hit balls just to have a bunch of nobodies cheer for me.” 

“Gosh. How can you have such a terrible personality that contradicts your name Eun?”

“How can you have your brother’s looks and not his brains Lo?” 

“Shut up! I’m handsome, smart and way better than Liam!” 

“Yeah, I’m going to have to disagree with you on all of that.” 

“Ji-Eun!”

"Logan~" 

“Duncan!” a voice bellowed. We froze and turned to look down and saw Coach Grant giving us the death glare. 

“Co-coach. Haha. What nice weather we’re having today, huh?” Logan stuttered beside me. I just shook my head. This pathetic idiot. 

“Oh, I’ll show you nice weather. Now get your ass down here before I drag you down myself!” 

“Ye-yes sir!” 

“Pff.” I didn’t even try to hold back my laugh and it earned me a glare from Logan. Can you blame me? The interactions between the coach and Logan are just so hilarious. A great source for comic relief. 

“Stop it you idiot.” 

“Sorry, I just can’t-pff-help myself. Your face literally spells ‘I just pissed my pants’ pff.”

“Sh-shut up! I did not.” 

“Did too.” 

“Did not.” 

“Did too.” 

“I did not you baka! Maybe a little.” he said the last bit in a quiet voice. 

“Sorry, wrong Asian language region. Korean not Japanese. Also eww.” Logan's face was flushed and he started throwing light jabs at me on my side. I laughed and looked down and saw Coach looking towards me now. He had a hard look and I knew what that look meant. I just shook my head and saw him sigh. 

“I’ll give you 3 minutes Duncan to get your ass out on the field!” 

“Sir yes sir!” Logan stood and saluted. Coach just shook his head and walked back to the other side of the field. He’s lost all hope for this idiot and so have I. 

“Geez Lo. Why don’t you go on and say ‘Why grandma, what big ferocious looking teeth do you have?’ dumbcan.” 

“But he does Eun! I mean those totally look like they might just bite my head off and don’t call me that!” 

“Not much to chew off that brain of yours though.” I said cracking my neck.

“Shut up.” Logan was totally fuming and pouting at this point. Then I saw his expression change and him looking all goo-goo eyed at a group of girls that were near the front of the stands. More specifically at one girl in particular. 

I sighed. “Are you seriously staring at Allison again? You’ve really got it bad for her huh dude?” 

“Shut up! She might hear you.” he wailed. 

“I’m pretty sure the entire school, including her, knows that you’ve got a crush on her.”

“What!?” 

“Seriously man. You’re terrible at being in incognito mode. That’s why you always strike out when you go up to bat. Open book much?” 

“I’m not an open book and I can hit the ball too!” 

“Yeah, like once in a blue moon.” 

“Whatever. You’re just jealous cause I like her.” 

“Ah, so you admit it?” 

“I guess I have to act manly once in a while. I admit though that she has indeed piqued my interests.” 

I clapped my hands. “Big words for a small mind.” 

“Screw you.” 

“No thank you. Anyway, what gives? Why don’t you ask her out before someone else makes the move?” 

“That’s what I’ve been wanting to tell you.” he huffed. He placed his hands on my shoulder and looked me in the eye. 

“You have to keep it a secret and not tell anyone. Especially not to Liam.” 

I blinked. “Lo. You do know both you and Liam are twins right. Even if I didn’t say anything, your brother would like, totally be able to read your mind.” 

“That’s why I hate him so much! Why does he have to use his telekinesis on me!?”

“Telepathy you mean and it has nothing to do with your twinning powers. You’re just…” I trailed off. 

“Just what?” he said in a worried tone. 

“Do you really want to know?” He nodded his head. 

“Alright. You’re just…” 

“Just…” 

I leaned in and said in a low deadpan voice, “Just...you.” 

“...What?” 

“Logan Duncan people. One in a million. A slow-paced idiot who can’t land himself in a relationship unlike his brother.” 

“Why you little!” He started ruffling my hair. 

“Haha.” 

“Come on Eun! I’m being serious here.” 

“And so am I Lo. Love you. Now tell me what’s this great big ‘secret’ you want to tell me about.” 

“I’m seriously having second thoughts about this.” 

“Don’t you always?” Logan crossed his hands and made a show of thinking whether to tell me or not. I just prompted my head up with my hands.

“Hmm. Oh, alright. After the game tonight, I’m really gonna do it?” 

“...Do what?” 

“I’m gonna ask Allison out, that's what.” 

I blinked. “Good luck with that bro. Lucky has never been part of your name.” 

“Eun why do you always have to be such a big meanie!?” Before I could open my mouth to respond, I saw an arm go around Logan’s shoulder. We both looked behind him to see Liam standing in his white baseball uniform. 

“Tell me little brother, do you want to get punched multiple times in your solar plexus until you vomit up all your internal organs or be strangled in my headlock? Hm?” 

“Uh...neither. Cause I’m pretty sure I’d end up dead in both cas-TIME! Time, time. Uncle. I give, I give Liam. Stop it-I’m tapping out now. Tap, tap. Li!” Liam used his death grip on Logan who in return was struggling to get out of it. Are all twins like these two? No, I think the Duncan twins are the exception. 

“Idiot. Coach is gonna put you through the wringer.” Liam said exhausted and let his brother go. 

“But, it hasn’t even been 30 minutes yet!” 

“Dude. Coach said 3 minutes, not half an hour.” 

“And this is why this dumb-nut is failing his Calculus class.” 

“I am not!” 

“Yes, yes you are now, get out on the field before I drag you down there butt naked. Wouldn’t want those groupies to post it all over social media now do we?” 

“You wouldn’t dare!” 

“Try me. You’re already an embarrassment. Don’t make it worse for yourself.” 

“Eun.” Logan looked at me all puppy eyes. 

“Now, now Lo. You’ve already sun tanned long enough here as is. Now, go do some actual baseball stuff so people will know that you’re in the club and not just a problem child who’s trying out to be the school’s mascot. Baegchi.” 

“You-you baka! I hate you both!” He said and turned around and bounced down the benches. 

“I’ll show you up tonight!” He stuck out his tongue and headed out to the field. 

“That idiot really irritates the hell out of me. I’ve already got my hands full dealing with the team. I can’t deal with his antics too.” Liam said, taking off his cap and running a hand through his blond locks. 

“Why is being captain too much for you big man?” I jeered. 

“Don’t push it Ji-Eun Soo. You know I was born to be a leader.” 

“Yep. Big whoop. The king of a bunch of high school baseball players. What’s next? World domination?” 

“Jee how’d you know?” 

“I won’t bet my money on that plan succeeding.” 

“Never wanted your small pocket change either. I wouldn’t be able to use it for anything.” We looked at each other and burst out laughing. We then stared at the field and saw Logan getting scolded by Coach. He’s definitely gonna make him run laps. 5 at most. 

“You know that idiot would really do well in matches if he focused in on practice and not horse around.” 

“He would, but he’s got his head full with other thoughts.” 

“Let me guess, girls?” he scoffed. 

“Dead on. One girl in particular.” 

“Allison Moore.” 

“Dude. Twinning much.” 

“There’s no such thing as Twinning too much. Plus someone’s gotta keep the little brother in check.” He said putting on a smile and waving to the girls below on the side. I heard them squeal and giggle. I rolled my eyes. 

“Ever heard of privacy?” 

“Nope. Not when it concerns you two.” 

“Such a busy body.” 

“Yep. Love being busy and this damn fine body. Girls and guys just can’t seem to take their eyes away from it.” He smirked. That was definitely aimed at me. 

“Idiot.” 

“This is kinda why I hate Twinning. I catch some of Lo’s stupidness.” 

“Might do you some good.” 

“As if.” We went back to staring at the field. It was a bright sunny day. The weather wasn’t too hot either and there was a gentle breeze blowing. I took in a deep breath. I missed this. The feeling of throwing the ball. The sound of it being caught in the pitcher’s glove. The metallic ring when the batter hits the ball. Everything. Just everything. All the tiny little details included. I missed it all. I missed playing baseball. 

“You know...” 

“Hm?” I glanced up to look at Li. He was watching the others out on the field with that look in his eyes. A look I knew all too well. A sense of pride and fulfillment. 

“Logan’s not the only one who could improve his skills in bat & ball.” And there it was. I knew it was coming, but I didn’t know when he would bring it up. He hasn’t brought it up in a while though. 

“Did coach put you up to this?” 

“He doesn’t need to Eun. I’m always thinking about it. No, we all are. Even Logan. Though that idiot doesn’t bring it up much cause he knows it’ll hurt you, he still wishes you’d come back and play ball. It might actually motivate him to do better and improve his skills.” 

I laughed. “I wonder about that?” 

“It’d help me...” Liam turned and looked at me and I was immediately captivated. How can anyone not with that look on his face. His eyes were practically pleading. 

“Come back Eun. I need you. The team needs you.” I furrowed my brows and forced myself to look down at my hands that were now collapsed tightly together. 

“I...I can’t Liam. Not yet. I-I just can’t...” My voice was strained and hardly sounded like mines. 

“It’s already 3 years Eun. 3 years. They’re not coming back and you can’t let that drag you down any longer. I can’t see you like this anymore.” 

“I know...I just-I-I just need some more time that’s all. It’s not easy to get back on the mound after a 3 year long blank. I just...I haven’t even held a ball in all that time.” 

“I know, but—” I looked up and saw Liam sigh and grip his neck. He then closed his eyes and looked as if he was in deep thought. 

“Sorry.” he said at last. “I didn’t mean to rush you.” 

I shook my head. “No, Liam I should be—” 

“Eun no. You have nothing to be sorry about. That incident was never your fault. You need to know that and I’m gonna keep on saying it till it gets through that thick ass skull of yours.” 

I huffed. “Thanks for calling me thick skinned.” 

“Anytime...take as much time as you need Eun. Just know that I’m here for you and always will be. I just...I just want to see you on the mound again...” 

“Yeah…” I did too. Taking the mound. Being at the center of it all. The feeling of a worn out ball between my fingers. What I wouldn’t give to feel that rush once again. Throwing the ball with all my might and seeing it soar through the air. “Strike!” I want to experience that feeling once more. Just once more. I want to be the ace once more. But...I can’t, because I can’t get that day out of my head at all. The game, the rain, the crash. I’m frozen at that point and no matter what I try to do, I can’t get that memory out of my mind. I can’t forgive and forget. I can only just remember and suffer through that pain all over again... 

“Well, I better get back down there—” I broke from my trance upon hearing Li’s voice. “Wouldn’t want Coach to come after my sorry ass now too.” 

“Pff. Can’t have the Captain be dragged away by the ear in front of all his fans now can we?” 

“You wish. You’re coming to the game tonight right?” 

“Of course. Wouldn’t miss it for the world. Your brother’s finally got the guts to ask out his long time crush.” 

“Shit. For real? You’ve got to be joking?” 

“I wish. I’m planning to film the whole thing and make it into a documentary. ‘The End of Logan Duncan’s Long Time Love’ here he now lies a wallowing mess. RIP.” 

“How extraordinary.” 

“Right?” We laughed. 

“But if that fool is planning to get his heart broken, I don’t think tonight’s the night.” 

“Why not? Better to get it over and done with.” 

“True, but he won’t have a chance after tonight’s game.” I raised an eyebrow confused and Liam gave me a small smile. 

“Remember who we’re up against?” It took me a second before I realized and my eyes grew wide. 

“No way. McKinley?” 

“Yep.” 

“Damn.” 

“Damn it is. We’re gonna get our asses handed to us.” 

“No you won’t.” 

“Eun you know we totally will.” As much as I hate to admit it, Liam was right. McKinley was a renowned school. Geeks in academics and beasts at sports. Their teams were on a whole other level, especially baseball, and for some stupid reason McKinley and Hayden High were always at each other’s throats. It was always a war zone when it involved the two schools. God, it’s like something straight out of a ridiculous fictional book or movie. 

“I just hope we don’t have an embarrassing score difference.” 

“Agreed.” 

“You know—” Liam said, turning to me. “We might have a fair chance if we had our old ace back.” 

I gave him a look. “Don’t let Miller catch you saying that. He already hates my guts as is. Don’t make it worse Li.” 

“Whatever. It’s the truth and everyone knows it.” 

“He’s a good pitcher Liam.” 

“Yeah he’s good I’ll admit, but he isn’t you.” 

“Liam—” 

“I know. Anyway~ Times a ticking. Gotta go over and plan our defense.” 

“No offence?” 

“Too risky.” 

“Whimp.” 

“Shut up. Oh, Emily’s gonna save you a seat. So, sit with her and the others. The least you can do is cheer for us.” 

“Sure. It’s all for charity right?” 

“Sometimes that mouth of yours is really something.” 

“Right. Real kissable-Ah! Hey!” Liam slammed his cap on my head. 

“Yeah, yeah. Totally. Love you.” 

“Dude. This level of bromance is so gonna make Em jealous.” 

“As if. Her Fujoshi ass would love it.” 

I laughed, “That's true.” 

“Alright.” Liam turned and started to head down the bleachers. “Wait for us after practice? We can go chill at my place and I’ll drive us over for the game.” 

“Sure. Can I stay over for the night?” 

“Obviously. Someone’s gotta comfort Lo for his heartbreak.” 

“Pay me?” 

“You wish.” Liam said waving his hand and jogging down to the field.

Logan had finished running his laps and looked tired out. He still had a long way to go for practice. I saw Liam ruffle his hair and Logan try to swat his hand away. I chuckled and spent the rest of the afternoon watching the team practice with a jumble of thoughts running through my mind. I want to play...I want to play baseball again...I sighed. Let’s just hope nothing worse happens tonight…

You know. I seriously think karma has it out for. I don’t know what it’s deal is, but by the looks of it, it seems I’ve got a target on my back and it’s out to get me. The game was over and just as Liam and I predicted, it was McKinley’s win. We lost badly with a 5 point difference. As if the night couldn’t get any worse, it did. I found myself slammed against the wall by Hayden’s baseball team’s number one enemy. McKinley’s baseball team’s Captain and Ace, Spencer Hoffman. How did I find myself in this situation well, long story short, I saw Spencer Hoffman and Allison Moore making out, ravenously if I may add, behind the bleachers and well here I am people. About to get beat to a pulp. 

“Well, well what do we have here? A Haydian sneaking off after getting his ass beat in a little baseball.” 

Shit. 

“I’ve got a party to catch so let’s make this quick. Can you keep a secret?” Two people from rival schools making out in secret. Especially when one of them is on a sports team where dating was apparently “forbidden”. I saw them and could possibly tattle at the cost of getting beat up. You know, I never liked being intimidated or told what to do. Also, I’m not great at keeping secrets, but desperate times call for desperate measures. So, I choose to do the smart thing. I stared him dead straight in the eyes. At those green orbs and said in a calm clear voice, “No.”        


August 19, 2020 20:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Amany Sayed
22:36 Aug 19, 2020

I enjoyed this story! Great job and well written! It definitely shows that you're working on your dialogue, it flowed very well. Keep up the good work!

Reply

April Summers
15:41 Aug 20, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
April Summers
20:48 Aug 19, 2020

Hey guys! Hope y’all are safe & well. Sorry I’ve been awol. I’ve been really busy and had absolutely no time to write at all. :’( But I’m back! Here’s a little excerpt from a story that I was working on a while back. I’ve really been interested in writing sports stories, especially baseball, and was trying my hand at it. I was also trying to work on improving my writing skills in the art of conversation and dialogue. I totally suck at it, but that’s why practice makes it eventually okay if not perfect! If you liked this piece please give i...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya W.
18:23 Aug 29, 2020

Nice story! I could never write anything with so much dialogue, but you did it expertly! If you don't mind, would you check out some of my stories here? Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rambling Beth
18:05 Aug 20, 2020

I'm just in awe of your dialogue. Wonderful story! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
DHANANJAY SHARMA
08:47 Sep 25, 2020

Simply beautiful! I am speechless. Kindly read mine and give your feedback. https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/60/submissions/35763/ Hoping to collaborate with you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.