0 comments

Suspense Horror Fantasy

‘Let me see if I understood correctly! You came to this window.’

‘Yes!’

‘You looked outside!’

‘Yes!’

‘And it showed up out of nowhere!’

‘A million times, yes!’

‘Ma’am, I can’t see anything if I look out your window, and it’s not even that cloudy! Are you sure you weren’t imagining things?’

‘How many times do I need to repeat myself?! No! I wasn’t imagining things, I couldn’t have been imagining things three nights in a row, could I?’

‘I don’t know, you tell me!’

‘You’re just being daft now, Mr. Stevens. I will not be insulted!’

‘I’m sorry, Ma’am! It’s just that I’m not really used to investigating ghosts. My line of expertise is more… how should I say this… limited. More natural!’

‘I’m not crazy, Mr. Stevens! I know what I saw!’

‘And I believe you, Ma’am. I wasn’t implying anything, it’s just that these sorts of things usually end up having less… interesting explanations. I’ll get to the bottom of it, no need to worry!’

‘Thank you! And stop calling me, Ma’am!’

‘Sure thing, Mrs. Dunn!’

‘Ms. Dunn!’

I couldn’t help but smile at that last remark. I always found it fascinating how women after a certain age feel that their marital status is something that needs to be accurately understood and properly addressed upon by the rest of society. Why is that? What does it change? Do I find her more alluring now that I know that she’s a Ms. and not a Mrs.? Do I need to produce better results taking this into consideration? Is she more believable? Or maybe it’s just her way of saying she’s… open for business.

‘Why are you staring at me, Mr. Stevens?’

‘Sorry, Ma’am! Ms. Dunn, I was just thinking about the facts of the case. I didn’t mean to stare.’

No, I find her just as ordinary as I did when I first laid eyes upon her. A woman passed her prime that was pretty in her youth, shapely but not in a sensual sense, elegant… plain is how I would sum her up. And yet… it’s all for show.

‘And?!’

‘And what?’

‘And what are your conclusions regarding the… case?’

‘Nothing out of the ordinary so far, I need more details. Can we go over what happened that first night once more?’

‘Pfffff… fine. I came into the room…’

‘No, no, Ms. Dunn. From the beginning, if you don’t mind. Did anything strange happen to you that day?’

‘Nothing that I can recall, no!’

‘Did you leave the house? Did you see anyone strange hanging around? Anything out of the ordinary?’

‘No, I didn’t go anywhere and I definitely didn’t see anyone strange.’

‘What did you do then?’

‘I really don’t understand these questions, Mr. Stevens. Are you here to find out what’s going on or how I spend my days?’

‘I’m sorry, Ms. Dunn! It’s just that… do you know the saying: “the devil is in the details”? In my profession, we sort of live by it.’

‘If you say so, Mr. Stevens.’

‘Good. Let’s talk about that night, shall we?’

‘Yes.’

‘So… you walked into the room…’

‘Yes, like I usually do.’

‘Like you usually do?’

‘Yes!’

‘Ca you please explain, Ms. Dunn?’

‘It’s sort of a habit I’ve developed over the years. Each morning I pull open the drapes, as I really enjoy sunlight, and each night, I close them for… well, obvious reasons.’

‘By drapes you mean the curtains, right, Ms. Dunn?’

‘By drapes I mean drapes, Mr. Stevens. Curtains and drapes are two different things for me. I thought you said you lived on details?!’

‘Right! When you say: it’s a habit, of yours. How strong of a habit?’

‘I mean: everyday!’

‘Every day at the same time?’

‘More or less, yes!’

‘More, or less, Ms. Dunn?’

‘Give or take ten minutes. How is this relevant, Mr. Stevens?’

‘It’s very relevant, Ms. Dunn. If you have such a strong habit, someone can easily understand this and use it to their advantage.’

‘Hmmmm, you think?’

‘Yes, I do, Ms. Dunn. What hour do you usually wake up?’

‘7:00, sharp.’

‘And when do you go to bed, Ms. Dunn?’

‘That’s not really your business, is it now, Mr. Stevens?!’

‘I’m sorry, Ma’am… Ms. Dunn! At what hour do you say you usually draw the curtains… aaah, drapes?’

‘At around 12:00.’

‘Do you have a specific pattern or do you just start with the closest to you?’

‘No, I start downstairs and I make my way up. This is the last room I’m in before going to my bedroom.’

‘Ok, can you estimate how long after you start do you get to this room?’

‘Mr. Stevens, is there a point here?’

‘There is, Ms. Dunn! As I mentioned earlier, if someone would study your behavior, they could very well set up an elaborate joke in order to scare you. Do you understand?’

‘I do.’

‘Good! So, how long before you get to this room?’

‘Five, maybe ten minutes?’

‘Ok, that’s plenty of time for someone prepared. Thank you, Ms. Dunn! Now, what happened when you got to this room?’

‘I went straight to the window and just as I was about to pull the drapes, I saw it.’

‘Can you please describe what you saw?’

‘As I’ve told you before, I’m not really sure. At first it was sort of misty. I’ve been looking at that same tree for years now and I’ve never seen anything like it before, that’s what caught my eye. After a few seconds something began to happen and the mist, what I took for as mist anyway, began to materialize, become clearer. Until… until I saw it!’

‘Can you please be more specific?’

‘It was… I don’t know how to explain it… like a shadow, a white shadow.’

‘Was it human?’

‘It had the form of a human, yes! Different, though.’

‘Different how?’

‘It looked on the edge of fading away, like it was being pulled apart right in front of my eyes.’

‘What happened then?’

‘It kept staring at me, staring… through me, somehow. As if… as if it wanted me to understand that it was there for me and only me.’

‘Ok! So, it seemed to know you were there looking at it.’

‘Yes, yes!’

‘Did it look more like a man or a woman?’

‘Excuse me?’

‘You said it looked human like, was it a man or a woman?’

‘Woman, definitely a woman!’

‘Why do you say that? From where I’m standing, that tree is at least fifty feet away.’

‘It was a woman; I know it was a woman.’

‘Ok! It was shapelier then; did it wear a dress?’

‘No, I just know it was a woman. Trust me, Mr. Stevens. A woman knows these things.’

Is it me or are you hiding something, Ms. Dunn?!

‘Ok, if you say so! What happened next?’

‘It just disappeared!’

‘Disappeared how? Did it fade away, did it evaporate?’

‘No, no, it just… vanished. As if it was never there.’

‘What did you do?’

‘Well… I closed the drapes, and went about my nightly routine. Nothing else happened after that.’

‘What about the next two nights?’

‘The same!’

‘Exactly the same?’

‘Yes!’

‘Nothing different whatsoever, no puff of smoke, no nothing?’

‘No, Mr. Stevens! Nothing!’

‘Ok, Ms. Dunn! Just checking! No need to get upset, I’m on your side.’

I’m curious if you believe this story yourself, Ms. Dunn! You certainly are making a point of being believed.

‘So… what are you going to do?’

‘What do you mean, Ma’am… Ms. Dunn?’

‘What if it’s a ghost? Your add said you handle all sorts of investigations, but… you said it yourself, you’re used to more… normal cases.’

‘I can assure you, Ms. Dunn, this is a normal case. Remember that cartoon with the dog? No matter how elaborate the plan, there’s always someone made of flesh and bone behind it.’

‘I didn’t really watch cartoons, Mr. Stevens. I found them… boorish.’

‘In any case, you’ve got nothing to fear!’

‘And what if you’re wrong? What then?’

‘In that case… I’ll make sure you’re safe, Ms. Dunn, and we’ll take it from there.’

‘Hmmmm… fine!’

‘Good!’

‘What now, Mr. Stevens?’

‘Well, we still have half an hour until 12:00, I suggest you go about your daily business and I’ll keep myself busy in here. If that’s ok with you, of course!’

‘It is! Can I bring you anything while you wait: water, tee?’

‘Some water, please. Thank you!’

‘Are you sure you don’t want anything else?’

Is she coming on to me?

‘No, no, thank you!’

‘Ok, then! I’ll be back with the water.’

And now she smiles, earlier I thought she was going to rip my head off, at least once. Maybe she’s just making sure she’s getting her money’s worth. I wouldn’t put it behind one such as herself. Anyway! As long as I’m here, I should make myself useful.

‘Here’s your water, Mr. Stevens. I also brought you something sweet. Just in case.’

‘Thank you, let me help you with that!’

‘Ooooh, you might not know about drapes but you certainly know how to be a gentleman! I’ll be off now, see you back here at 12:00.’

‘Yes, thank you! Please turn off the light, I want this to seem like a normal night for you.’

‘Sure thing. Bye!’

Well, she’s definitely interested in seeing a return on investment. It’s funny how some people are, isn’t it? One minute they’re frightened, the second they’re furious and at the end they’re all milk and honey. I guess I shouldn’t wonder why she’s still single, should I?

Hmmmm, her bedroom is on the opposite side of the house, and yet this is the last room she visits before going there. I guess old habits really do die hard! It’s a wonder she even left me here alone, she must feel pretty sure of herself… that or I look dumb and harmless enough.

I wonder if she’s watching, or listening from somewhere. There don’t seem to be any cameras, but… who knows. I should be careful just the same.

Should I try her sweet present?! Maybe if I’m not careful, I’ll start seeing ghosts. Mmmm, sweet enough! Tasty!

There’s something off about these walls, it looks more like a chapel in here than a reading room. I wonder if I should sit in the chair, what if she’s really watching? I guess I should be looking outside, right?

Pffffff… she said more or less 12:00, maybe today it will be less.

Or, not!

Ok, it sounds like she’s started her rounds. Shouldn’t be long now, good thing these curtains are extra thick, you could hide a whole body behind these and no one would be the wiser. Or maybe half a body!

Here she comes, get ready Tim!

‘You’re not asleep in here, Mr. Stevens, are you?’

‘No, Ma’am! Waiting for you!’

‘Ok, get ready!’

‘Always am, Ms. Dunn. Well, do you see anything?’

‘No, what should I do?’

‘Stay there a bit, it’s not like you don’t have reason to be suspicious.’

‘Ok…’

She looks less plain from this angle, I guess the years have been kind on her after all.

‘There, Mr. Stevens! Can you see it?’

‘No, Ma’am. Where?’

‘Under the tree, it’s beginning to mist. Like I told you!’

‘I can’t see anything, are you sure?’

‘Yes, yes! Under the tree, it’s starting to take shape. Can you see it, Mr. Stevens?’

‘No, Ma’am, I can’t see anything! Are you sure it’s there?’

‘What the hell, man? It’s there, it’s looking right at me… it’s… it’s…’

‘Ms. Dunn, are you alright? Ms. Dunn?’

‘It’s… it’s growing… Mr. Stevens, it’s coming straight for me… MR. STEVENS!’

‘Ms. Dunn, get a hold of yourself, there’s nothing there!’

She’s shaking like a leaf, what the hell?

‘Here, drink some water, Ms. Dunn! You’re all right, you’re all right, there’s nothing there.’

‘I… I…’

‘You’re fine, Ma’am!’

‘I… was so scared. It came right at me!’

‘The ghost?’

‘Yes, the ghost! What do you mean you didn’t see anything?’

Great, she’s fine now!

‘I didn’t, Ma’am… Ms. Dunn. I swear I didn’t see anything.’

‘I’m not crazy, Mr. Stevens!’

‘Nobody said you were, Ms. Dunn. I’m just saying what I saw… well, in this case, what I didn’t. I’m telling you, for me, there wasn’t anything there.’

‘Then it really is a ghost.’

‘That, or someone really smart is out to do you harm.’

‘What do you mean?’

‘Well, just because I didn’t see anything, it doesn’t mean there was nothing there to be seen. Maybe whatever trick they’re up to, it was designed so only you could see it, standing right where you’re standing.’

‘Is that even possible?’

‘Sure, like magicians do it, smoke and mirrors. How are you feeling?’

‘Much better, thank you!’

‘Good, do you mind if I leave you alone for a bit?’

‘What for?’

‘Well, I want to go down there, see if I can find anything. Maybe there’s a fresh clue.’

‘Are you sure?’

‘Quite sure, Ms. Dunn. Quite sure!’

‘Ok! I’ll keep an eye out for you from here.’

‘In case the ghost gets me, Ms. Dunn?’

‘Don’t be impertinent, Mr. Stevens!’

‘Apologies, Ma’am!’

Ok, let’s get this over with!

Right… there’s the tree… there’s Veronica… good.

Now, let’s see here.

‘Mr. Stevens!’

‘Yes!’

‘To your left… yes… there. That’s where it showed up!’

Right…

‘Mr. Stevens… Mr. Stevens, watch out, it’s there, it’s right there next to you.’

‘What?’

‘It’s right there… RUN!’

‘Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!’

‘RUN!’

Shit! Come on man, make a run for it. Watch out, the tiles are slippery, try not to break your neck in the process!

Shit, shit, what the hell, the door’s jammed. Come on, come ooooon!!!

‘Run, Mr. Stevens, it’s right behind you!’

OK! Come on, up the stairs now, two at a time. Shit, I almost slipped there, where is she? There!

‘Mr. Stevens, are you all right?’

‘Yes, Ma’am!’

‘Do you believe me now?’

‘I’m not sure… I still didn’t see anything, but I definitely felt something.’

‘What do you mean?’

‘I don’t know, I started feeling cold all of a sudden, cold and sick. Like I needed to throw up. I can still feel the bile at the back of my throat.’

‘Oooh!’

‘Yes, it started right before you yelled at me to run, I felt hate and pain! Do you think it’s still out there?’

‘I don’t know, it disappeared after you entered the house.’

Come on, Tim, get a grip, this isn’t real, don’t fall for it too. It’s not real!

‘What do we do?’

‘I don’t know, but I can’t leave you here by yourself!’

‘I’m not going out there!’

‘I wasn’t suggesting… wait, did you hear that?’

‘What?’

‘There, there it goes again. Sort of like a “thump”, like something heavy’s being dropped on the floor. There…’

‘I can hear it. Oh my God, I think it’s coming closer!’

‘Quickly, this way!’

‘No, no, no… not in there.’

‘Come!’

She’s pretty spry on her feet with the right incentive.

‘No! What have you done; we’re trapped in here? The windows don’t open in here.’

‘Get behind the curtains! Shhhhh… it’s coming closer.’

Thump… thump… thump…

Thump…

Thump…

‘Is it… is it gone?’

‘I don’t know but… I felt it again… that feeling of… AAAAAAAHHHHHH!’

‘Mr. Stevens… Mr. Stevens… NOOOO!’

VERONICA DUNN BEWARE!!! YOU WILL NEVER BE RIDD OF ME, JUST LIKE I WAS NEVER ABLE TO BE RIDD OF YOU!

YOU ARE MY PRISONER FOREVER!!!

‘Noooooooooo!’

…………………………

Glad that’s over with! Good work, Tim, you should’ve been an actor. Now, to get paid!

‘Hello, Mr. Stevens! Or, can I call you, Tim? Now that we’re more intimate.’

‘I wouldn’t use: intimate, to describe our relationship, Ms. Aleksov.’

‘What would you use, then?’

‘Beneficial! And, yes, you can call me, Tim, as long as I can call you, Alice!’

‘That sounds fair, Tim!’

‘Great!’

‘Have you heard the news, Tim?’

‘Didn’t really get a chance to. Anything interesting?’

‘Listen for yourself!’

In a surprising reveal, forty-five-year-old Veronica Dunn, a local resident, turned herself in earlier today. Mrs. Dunn confessed to having been a part of a prostitution ring bringing girls from Eastern Europe, drugging them and selling them on the black market. The girls were kept at Mrs. Dunn’s residence here in…

‘That explains your cheerful disposition, Alice!’

‘It does, indeed!’

‘Have I also earned the right to know what she did to upset you, Alice or should I keep guessing?’

‘Guess away, Tim, anything more wouldn’t be beneficial for neither of us.’

‘I see!’

Women!

‘The money’s been transferred to your account, as promised. And… there’s a little surprise in there, from me, as thanks, for the exceptional job you’ve done.’

‘Thanks!’

‘My pleasure!’

‘I guess we’ll be seeing each other, Alice!’

‘I guess we will, Tim. I guess we will!’

June 11, 2021 20:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.