23 comments

Creative Nonfiction Fiction Friendship

Title: Surprise Birthday... or not?

Author: Haripriya

Authors Note: Hello everyone!! I hope you all are having a safe and happy Saturday! This story is about three sisters. The eldest and the youngest are planning a birthday party for the middle sister...or are they? Read to find out! I hope you enjoy it!

"Can I tell you a secret?" asked Isabelle looking excited towards her elder sister, Mirabelle.

"Sure!" she replied curiously.

"But youΒ haveΒ to promise to not tell Annabelle about this," Isabelle warned, looking serious.

"Umm... ok! I promise I won't tell her. Now, what is it?" Mirabelle asked.

"Well... you know it's Annabelle's birthday soon?" Isabelle asked, coming back to her original, joyful expression.

"Yeah! Wait for a second... are you planning a-?" Mirabelle was about to sayΒ a surprise birthday partyΒ but Isabelle took the credit for it.

"Yup! A surprise birthday party. But I really need your help. We need a nice theme, lots of decorations, a beautiful dress for her, and a cake! We can also invite all of her friends. Remember,Β everythingΒ has to run smoothly, and according to my plan and vision." warned Isabelle.

"Ok! Well, what do you have in mind? You know, the theme? What kind of decorations? Who should we even invite?" asked Mirabelle.

"About that..." Isabelle looked at her elder sister and chuckled sheepishly.

"Ok, let me guess. You wantΒ meΒ to decide all the important things while you just boss me around?" she asked, crossing her arms and raising her eyebrows.

"Yeah! You get the picture! Besides, that is how the world is supposed to work Mirabelle! The older sister is supposed to do ALL the work while the younger one just bosses the older one around, and relaxes. Lastly, when Annabelle gets to know about this, I get to take the credit for everything. You know?" she asked, looking proud.

"Oh, no way is that going to ever happen! We all are just a year apart. I am only two years older than you! Also, this year things are going to be a little different." Mirabelle eyed Isabelle like an evil witch.

"What do you meanΒ different?" Isabelle questioned, looking confused.

"What I mean is that you are also going to help me with all the behind-the-scenes party planning. Last year, I had to do all the work for both of your birthday parties! That was so unfair! You all just left me in the dust. But as your older sister, IΒ orderΒ you to help me." Mirabelle spoke sternly and stared at Isabelle's fake-innocent eyes.Β 

"But... that's not fair!" argued Isabelle.

"Ok, then I will tell Annabelle ALL about the surprise party thatΒ IΒ planned and say that you ruined it," she said.

"You really are a master at manipulating people... aren't you?" she asked angrily storming at Mirabelle.Β 

"Well if you are considering it like that... then yes, I am an expert at manipulating people. Now come on Isabelle! I got a great idea for how to plan this awesome birthday party." said Mirabelle.

Since Isabelle had nothing to say, she sighed with her head down and soberly followed her.Β 

✰✰✰

"Are you sure that the door is shut?" Mirabelle asked.

"YES! I told you like a thousand times already Mirabelle! There is no way that Annabelle can hear our plan. So... tell me? How is everything going to be arranged? What's the plan?" she asked her sister.

"Since she really likes outer space, and basically the galaxy, we can get her those types of decorations. I have a job for each of us. First, you need to get all the decorations while I get the food and get the invites ready." Mirabelle planned.

Isabelle nodded enthusiastically.

"Tell me! What decorations should I order?" she asked Mirabelle.

"Well, order some blue, purple, and black balloons, party hats which have stars, a birthday banner, some paper plates, maybe napkins would be a good idea and don't forget the candle. Try to have a matching color scheme. Make sure to show me everything you want to order before ordering it. Also, ask me if you need any help or have any questions, did you get all of that Isabelle?" asked Mirabelle, looking almost like she was in some kind of rush.

"Yup!" Isabelle replied.

"Great! I will call everyone from Isabelle's class and her friends from this community. Can you also buy some envelopes? We are running short on that. Isabelle, don't worry, I will order the cake with you, but it has to be a flavor that Annabelle actually likes." she said.

"Ok! I guess that we will meet back in your room in an hour or so?" asked Isabelle.

"Yes." Mirabelle nodded.

The two girls were looking really focused, but excited. They were working really hard, some might even sayΒ tooΒ hard for their sister's birthday party. Both of the girls were perfectionists. They had to make sure everything was going according to plan. The hardest part was that since Annabelle lives in the same house as them, she should not get a clue about anything that was going on in the house, or their entire plan of keeping it a "secret" will get ruined.Β 

✰✰✰

"So... Isabelle, did you get all of the decorations?" asked Mirabelle.

"Yup! I even checked it again to make sure I got everything on the list. I'll show them to you, and then we can order the cake. By the way, did you send them all the invitation?" asked Isabelle.Β 

"Yes. I double-checked the addresses to make sure I was sending it to the correct person. Anyways, show me all the decorations you got." said Mirabelle.

✰✰✰

The two girls were done checking and confirming all the decorations. Exactly when they were checking the orders for cake, Annabelle came inside unexpectedly. Her sudden appearance startled the two girls.Β 

"Oh! H-hi Annabelle! What a lovely surprise to see you! Umm... out of curiosity of course, what are you doing here, in my room?" asked Mirabelle nervously.

"Umm... sorry to bother you both, but I just came in here to check on you two. You have been spending a lot of time with each other," told Annabelle.

Right when she said this, she noticed a lot of birthday cakes on the screen, and a whole list of decoration items all scattered on the bed

"Wh... why are you ordering a cake? Also, what's up with the decorations? Let me guess... are you two planning a surprise birthday party for me?" asked Annabelle excitedly.

The two glanced at each other and stared back at Annabelle.

"Oh... n-no! W-we were just, umm... planning a birthday for my friend! Mirabelle was just helping me out." lied Isabelle.

"Ok, I guess. Mom is calling you two for lunch. Meet you at the dining table!" yelled Annabelle as she skipped across the hallway.

The two looked at each other in relief as they heaved a sigh.

"Phew!" Mirabelle exclaimed.

"Yeah! That was a close one." Isabelle replied.

~The End~

November 14, 2020 19:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

Hello everyone! I know that the prompt said to "end it with someone telling a lie", but I kind of ended it with a lie. Anyways, let me know what all of you think, and have a great Saturday! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Great job! This story was kinda short and didn't have a super complex plot but I still really liked it also I love the names Isabelle, Mirabelle and Annabelle and I love how they all rhyme. I also upvoted you cause you NEED to get higher on the lb so more people can see your awesome stories!

Reply

Wait... OMG!! You really didn't need to do that! Thank you so much! πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚πŸ₯° I upvoted you too! :)

Reply

Of courseeee! Again, you DESERVE IT 100%! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:45 Nov 20, 2020

I liked this story, it was a breath of fresh air from all the other stories that everything is at stake. It was nice to sit down and take a break from all the suspense🐫

Reply

21:56 Nov 20, 2020

Thanks for the feedback on the first story by the way, I’m planning for the prompt about using zoom to be light completely to my other story lol🐫

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Kylie Rudolf
04:07 Nov 27, 2020

First off, BEAUTIFUL names! Very fitting to each character, I really appreciated the ending, sad but true. THere always seems to be a hitch in planning a party.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Sivaprakash .
13:53 Nov 25, 2020

Wow, this story was super fun, I never expected this kind of story in this prompt. Its really good. These kind of stories really put a smile in my face. Thank you for that.

Reply

Aww, I am so glad you enjoyed it!! Thank you for taking the time to read, like, and comment on my stories. I really appreciate it. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
23:46 Nov 14, 2020

10/10 :)

Reply

B. W.
18:23 Nov 18, 2020

no prob ^^

Reply

Do you have plans for any other stories for this contest...or no?

Reply

B. W.
18:50 Nov 18, 2020

nope

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.