94 comments

Fiction Kids Funny

Title: What is she up to?

Author: Haripriya

Authors Note: Hello everyone! I hope you are having a happy Sunday! This story doesn't follow the prompt fully because the prompt says to include the cookie exchange, but I only did it at the end, so that might be a little out of the prompt, but it still follows the basic idea. Other than that, I hope you will like this story!Β 

"I need to know what she's up to!" yells Jay.Β 

"Whoah, no need to panic or anything, everything will be fine. Just...calm down." I reassure my twin brother.

"No! How can I calm down June? How?" shrieks Jay.

"Just stop thinking about it for at least an hour! Do something else, jeez! For once, why can't you listen to me? I told you, everything will be fine, and she's not up to anything. So stop!" I advise him, or at least IΒ try.

Jay scoffs, and looks at me with frustration, like I did something wrong to him, and storms out to go to his room.Β 

✭✭✭

Come on! I'm not the one who was as foolish as him to agree to do a prank war with the prank queen! That's Jay who did that! Now it's his fault he's always scared every time he turns. Like why is he even draggingΒ meΒ into his mess?Β 

I'm not that June anymore. I am not the June who always takes the blame for something she didn't do. I'm not the June who always supports someone, even when she thinks it's wrong. No, no, no. If you think that's me, then sorry, you've mistaken. I changed over the summer break. I changed a lot. I won't be too innocent or gullible to fall into any mess someone else created. I won't help and get into trouble. Nope. That was the old me. But now she's dead.Β 

This is the new, the much,Β much,Β better June. I liked the old me, but soon I realized what she did wrong. I let everyone control me. I let everyone take advantage of my nice characteristics. But I swear, it won't happen this time. I'll only help someone when I think the person actually deserves help. Not because I always want to be selfless. Everything has a limit to it.

✭✭✭

Frankly, I kind of like this new me. I feel much more confident and better about myself this way. I feel a bit happier about myself like I stand a chance against everyone. I finally feel needed because of who I am, not because of what I said. Before, everyone wanted me to help because they knew that I was going to say yes. Now, I won't be like that. I will help people because they asked me. I mean, they must have had to trust me to need my help, wouldn't they?

So yeah, I will help most people, but I just don't want to help Jay right now. I mean, it's not like if I don't help him, he can't show his face again to school. It is only a prank duel. Also, I even warned him not to say yes to the challenge, but Jay has this behavior, he always wants to be known as the bravest person in the world. But only I know what kind of person he is. Just a coward, and a scaredy-cat. That's who he really is.Β 

Outside, he's just a showoff. Wants everyone to be pleased by his good characteristics and constantly cares about what others think of him. That right there is what makes me extra mad at him. Always trying to doubt himself for every action he does. I mean, why can't he just be himself? True friends like you because of the way you are. But whenever I try to tell him that, he just brushes it off like it's nothing. That's why I officially stopped helping him with any of his problems about this entire prank war arrangement. Honestly, it's like he doesn't value what I say to him.

✭✭✭

"June, why are you sitting all alone so grumpily? Where is your brother?" asks my mother, now sitting next to me, looking worried.

"Oh, I don't want to talk about him," I admit.

"Well, heΒ isΒ your brother. I urge you to tell me what's going on between you two." my mother insists, her warm eyes still gazing at me.

I heave a big sigh and explain, "You see, last week, Jay made some kind of deal with another girl, Bliss, that he was amazing at prank wars. Just so you know, everyone at school calls Bliss the queen of pranks. So Bliss has already done several pranks to him, humiliating him. So I told him to just forget about that, but no! He always talks about this prank thing over and over again."

"Hmm..." I saw mom thinking, "why don't you try talking to him again? I suggest you ask him how he is feeling. Maybe talk to him a little gently. He'll understand." my mom said.

"Ok, I guess. But what if he still doesn't listen to me, mom? What if he's still arrogant?" I ask.

"You know what? Bring him theseΒ cookies." mother said.

✭✭✭

At first, I thought that was a smart idea since he does love cookies. But then it hit me.Β 

A cookie exchange. Exactly!! We can host a cookie exchange to see what Bliss is plotting.Β 

"Wow mom, thank you so much for the help! I will surely need those cookies, and I'll go talk to him. I think I know exactly what to say to him to cheer him up. Again, thanks!!" I exclaim and starting going upstairs towards his room.

"Umm...ok June!" I hear my mom's response faintly.

I knock on his door and ask, "Jay?"

"Come in. What do you want? You definitely don't want to help me figure about Bliss." he says, still grumpy.

"No, I really want to help you. I think I have the perfect idea to bust her. But first, eat the cookie." I tell him.

While chewing, he tries to make out words like, "What do you have in mind?"

"I'm glad you asked! We'll host a cookie exchange to figure out exactly what Bliss is plotting. I'll go and butter her up while you'll do the talking with the others. Trust me, this plan will work perfectly." I reassure him, and we both smile widely.

~The End

December 06, 2020 20:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

94 comments

Akshaya ✨
12:22 Dec 09, 2020

Hello Haripriya! Wow! Congratulations on 50 stories! I am so happy for you :) I loved your story and the names you gave for your characters! It was nice to see how June changed over the story! I found it really interesting to read. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Nora K.
13:41 Dec 07, 2020

YAY!! FIFTY BOOKS!!! *clap clap clap* πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ₯³πŸŽ‰πŸŽŠ This was such a lovely read, Haripriya!! June is such a wonderful character, going through growth and change and making such tough decisions! I wonder, will their be a part two?? ;) This story was so suspenseful and engaging, fantastic job!! Hurray, Fifty Stories!! πŸŽŠπŸŽ‰πŸ˜ƒ -Nora :)

Reply

Thank you so much Nora!!! Also, no part 2's, I'm gonna take a break from sequels from now on.

Reply

Nora K.
14:22 Dec 07, 2020

That’s cool!! Nice to take a break sometimes! :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hello everyone!! I am so glad that I made 50 stories in Reedsy so far!! Thank you all for supporting me in this journey, I couldn't have reached where I am if it wasn't without you guys! πŸ€—πŸ₯°πŸ˜ Couple of things to share: 1. This story AGAIN features cookies, though not that important, the cookie exchange thing is significant in the story. 2. Also, this story is a little short, but I wanted it to be a quick, fun, and an easy read for all of you. 3. I kind of liked the names in this story, though I just made them up on the spot, it w...

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
21:50 Dec 11, 2020

Can ya check out "A strange lover" and then leave some feedback on it?

Reply

B. W.
22:02 Dec 11, 2020

im excited to see what ya think ^^

Reply

B. W.
22:06 Dec 11, 2020

:D

Reply

I loved your entire story so much!! I'm also surprised by how quick you created the story!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Yay! Keep going! love all 50 of your stories!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
07:35 Dec 07, 2020

I like This!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Coco Longstaff
01:01 Jan 02, 2021

Hi Laila! I know you’ve already reached 62 stories, but anyway, congratulations for coming this far! I like the dialogue in this book and the way the characters communicate to each other. They use a lot of emotions in this story. June changes a lot throughout the book, and its interesting to see her character change! Good job! 😎

Reply

Wow, thank you so much! Also, I only started (a year ago...meaning September 2020) so I am glad that you are following a lot! :)

Reply

Coco Longstaff
01:24 Jan 02, 2021

Oh wow! That’s quite a lot of stories! Yup, I’ll be sure to follow you and your stories a lot and I’ll support you too because in my eyes, you’re and amazing writer! (Really) So good luck and I hope you write more stories this year!

Reply

Wow, thank you so much Coco!!! I am really flattered by your comments!! They mean the world to me! πŸ₯°

Reply

Coco Longstaff
02:14 Jan 02, 2021

Oh thank you! I feel so happy

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Coco Longstaff
02:13 Jan 02, 2021

Oh! I just finished my criminal story! You’re welcome to read it! It’s literally called β€œCriminal” hehe

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.