The Adventures of Jack and Celine

Submitted into Contest #208 in response to: Write a story about a character who finds a childhood toy that brings back memories.... view prompt

35 comments

Funny Horror Contemporary

This story contains sensitive content

Content warning: bugs, fire, darkness.

Not for the first time in his life, Jack’s Sunday afternoon was saved by vintage pornography. There was a magazine in the dusty antique store, full of printed reproductions of saucy sepia scandals, and he flipped through with a schoolyard grin.

“Oh my god!” said Lisa. “Don’t look at that, you jerk!”

“Hey, you dragged me out to this dump, so don’t complain. And I ain’t jerking anything. Yet.”

Lisa rolled her eyes and made that don’t-be-gross groan. Or maybe it was the don’t-embarrass-me-in-public one? “Whatever. I’m going to go look at armoires and pretend like we’re not engaged.”

“Love you too.”

Jack flipped through a few more magazines and it struck him how natural everyone looked. No airbrushing, no Photoshop - not like it even existed back then. Their bodies simply were as they were: adequate. Did society just have much healthier ideas of body image back then? It occurred to him there could be real historical merit in formally studying this, and then he wondered how he might go about getting a grant, especially considering he wasn’t a historian or any kind of researcher.

“Oh my god, what am I doing?” He set the magazines down before he ruined porn forever. Still, if he had found this, then maybe this antique shop of Lisa’s wasn’t a total waste of time. He decided to take a stroll down the creaking aisles and see what else he could find.

Most of it was kitsch, but when he spotted the toys and games section, his eyes widened. And then, Jack spotted her: Celine the Centipede. A segmented orange plush, about a foot long, slumped on a shelf. Her fur was patchy and her one remaining lacquered eye scuffed, but it was unmistakably Celine.

Faded memories stirred in his mind. Long forgotten thoughts stretched. A buried history awoke.

He recalled a giant bonfire, with all his family there. Other people too. Maybe it was a holiday? Little eight-year-old Jack, swaying in the welcoming glow of the flames as they kept the night’s chill away, belting out Camptown Races and then collapsing into a fit of giggles. And all the while, Celine safely nestled in the crook of his arm, protecting him from all the monsters that dwelled in the shadows.

“Oh wow,” he said, approaching the toy shelf. “I can’t believe it.”

He didn’t notice Lisa sneak up on him. “What is that gross thing?”

“Her name is Celine,” Jack said, stressing it, “and she is not a ‘gross thing’. She was my best friend, growing up.”

“Aw, that’s so adorable. And sad. Adorably sad.”

“We went everywhere together. She was there for me, when… When my parents…”

Lisa hugged him. “It’s okay. Sorry, I didn’t mean to bring it up.”

“No, no, I’m fine. It was so long ago.” Jack reached out to pick Celine up from her shelf.

And Lisa slapped his hand. “Ew! Don’t touch it!”

“What the hell!”

“You don’t know where it’s been. It’s probably covered in all kinds of gross. Stains and smells and fleas.”

“Centipedes don’t get fleas, Lisa.”

“Jack,” she said, squeezing his arm. “It’s not a real centipede. Now, behave. I’m going to go arrange delivery of our new armoire, and after that we can head down to Murphy’s for a pizza and beer.”

Jack watched her leave, and then turned his attention back to Celine. It looked just like her, just like the one he used to have. In fact, she was even missing her third left foot from the front.

“Hello, Jack,” said Celine.

Jack gasped. “It is you!”

“Was there ever any doubt?” Celine coughed, and some of her fur came loose.

“Are you all right?”

“Time’s been a real bitch to me, let me tell you, Jackie boy. Speaking of which, who’s the tramp?”

“What, you mean Lisa? Hey! She’s not a – she’s my fiancée.”

“Oof. Condolences, buddy.”

Jack scoffed. “Don’t say that. I love her.”

“Do you? Or does she just have your balls in her purse? I mean, what the hell is an armoire?”

“I don’t know.”

“Exactly, Jack. Nobody does. It’s made up. She made it up to sound smarter than you.”

“That’s not true.” Jack heard the petulant note in his voice. Still, he couldn’t help crossing his arms and sinking into himself.

“You know what she sounds like to me, buddy?”

Jack shook his head.

“A shadow monster.”

Jack gulped. “No.” His voice was tight. Cold memories washed over his skin. Memories of vile things that lurked in the dark, all biding their time to snatch him. Some lurked under his bed, others in the closet. The biggest one, King Grumbler, lived down in the basement of their old house, where the lone naked lightbulb never gave off enough light.

Night was a time of horrors incarnate – at least, until Jack met Celine. Celine protected him. She watched over him while he slept – and with her around, he actually could sleep. She showed him the light. She was the light. With her on his team, nothing could stop Jack.

He felt a dull ache in his chest. Why had they ever parted ways? It must have been in the chaos, after the accident. After his whole life was flipped upside down and he lost everything.

“Yes,” Celine said. “A shadow monster. A creepy-crawly–”

“–Don’t!–”

“–gristly-ghouly–”

“–Stop. It.–”

“–grabby-stabby–”

“–Stop!” Jack’s shout muted the store.

Celine raised her front dozen feet in surrender. “Okay, okay! Calm down, spaz.” She scratched one of her rear segments. “Didn’t realize you felt so strongly about it. Although I guess, it is pretty brave of you, marrying a shadow monster.”

“Celine! She’s not a shadow monster.” It just occurred to Jack how much crap was in this antique store, and how weak the lights were. Everywhere he looked, there were dark nooks and umbral crannies. A life-sized suit of knight’s armour cast a long shadow down a narrow corridor, but the suit was also big enough to hide at least three monsters.

If they were real, of course. Jack shook his head. He wasn’t afraid of the dark any more. He’d outgrown it.

“I don’t know what you see in her, anyway. I always thought we were better together. We even have a readymade couple’s name: Celiack.”

“Did you just ship us? And what the hell, Celine! Why would you go with celiac instead of the obvious Jackeline!?”

“Ooh, Jacqueline!” Celine weathered another coughing fit. “You’re right, that’s pretty. I like it. So, we’re agreed then? You’re gonna dump the chump and roll with me?”

“What!?”

“Drop the slop. Ditch the bitch. Punt the cu–”

“–Celine! What has gotten into you?” She wasn’t always like this, was she? It used to be all fuzzy hugs and warm giggles, and whispering secrets to each other long into the night. For all of his worries and all of his fears, she always had an answer. She’d been just what a frightened, lonely eight-year-old needed. But Jack wasn’t a child anymore. “I’m not leaving Lisa. She’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me. And that’s a fact.”

Celine drew herself up. “Unbelievable.” Crossed dozens of feet. “After all I’ve done for you.” She shook her head at her neighbours on the toy shelf. “I should have expected it. The shadow apple doesn’t fall far from the shadow tree it seems.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Your parents were the biggest shadow monsters of all.”

“That’s not true.”

“Come on, Jackie boy. ‘It’s your bedtime.’ ‘No snacking before dinner.’ ‘Brush your teeth, young man!’ They were insane!

“They were–” Jack gulped. His memories of his parents were few and far between, but he knew they were good people. Weren’t they? All those things, they just sounded like regular parent things.

Celine leaned forward and clapped her feet. “Oh my god! You don’t remember, do you?”

“Remember what. All I remember is, you used to be nice. Like that time we had a big bonfire with all the neighbours. And we got to stay up way after bedtime, and we sang Camptown Races and laughed. And that nice lady gave me an apple juice.”

“Nice lady? That was a paramedic, you dumbass.”

“What?”

“Come on, remember.” Celine started humming Camptown Races. Jack remembered working on a project earlier in the evening. Lots of papers, shredded papers… papier-mâché? That must have been it. An art project to show his parents how much he loved them. Only, in his memories he was scattering the papers all around the house.

Celine cleared her throat with another cough, and began singing. “Grab a lighter and some gas, doo-dah! doo-dah! Kill the shadows with some flame, oh dee-doo-dah day!”

Jack remembered. With Celine clutched under one arm and the other arm dragging a gas can all over the neighbourhood, he belted the lyrics out at the top of his lungs. She provided harmony. She told him where to go, how to arrange things, and when everything was ready, “Start your lighter, Jackie-love, and give the gas a little kiss.” Within seconds, six cookie-cutter houses erupted in a huge fireball that rose into the sky.

And when bright-hot figures ran out of the conflagration, waving their arms in the air and screaming, Celine told him those were just the shadow monsters. They saw his work and they had a change of heart, and now they were dancing and singing and happy and bright. And so Jack sang louder too, and he danced with Celine, and he danced much longer than the silly shadow people who got tired real quick and laid down to sleep.

Jack screamed.

“Aw, you remembered!” Celine said. “’bout damn time, my little pyro.”

Jack screamed more.

“You have no idea how bored I’ve been since they took you away from me.”

Jack took a deep breath, and continued screaming.

“Come on, Jack! Let’s go murder some folk! Just like the good old days.”

Jack continued screa–

Blam!: a thundering blast right beside Jack. He fell into trembling silence.

An old man in thick, square glasses, stood right beside him, and lowered a shotgun. Little remained of Celine’s shelf, other than scorched wood and a smear of orange fluff.

“Ah, dang it,” said the old man. “You know, I put up a sign, but people don’t read. Keep donating their haunted toys and cursed dolls and whatnot. Oh well.”

“So you’re fine to deliver it on Wednesday?” Lisa asked.

“Yes ma’am, you can count on it. That’s a lovely armoire, and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it for a long time.” He shook Lisa’s hand, and then departed.

“Well,” Lisa said, entwining her arm with Jack’s shivering one. “I told you that thing was gross. Anyway, guess we’re lucky he was nice enough not to charge us for it. Now come on, let’s go get that beer and pizza.”

July 26, 2023 00:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

35 comments

Michelle Oliver
12:34 Aug 03, 2023

What a story. You have a masterful way of manipulating the reader. At first we’re drawn in by gentle memories with the slight hint of pain, and we think this is going to be a story of gentle, poignant reminiscence. Then the twist. We learn the truth and it is horrifying. A bonfire becomes and inferno. Such a chilling story that explores how we can reframe our memories based on different perceptions and perspectives. What we believe may not always be what actually happened. Chilling and creepy, but the most creepy is the shop owner who calmly...

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:57 Aug 04, 2023

Thanks, Michelle! That's made my day :) I suspect for the poor guy, it is just a another day. At least, in this dreadful little shop. Glad to hear the transitions and reveals worked. I did initially have an idea for something more about reminiscing, but I just wasn't feeling it. This version was fun to write. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
05:32 Sep 08, 2023

Hey Michal, Oh what a thriller! I’ve always had a tough time with bugs, but my husband has always adored them, so I’m learning to love them, too. This story, though, makes a firm argument in the other direction. It’s a fascinating and creepy premise-especially with so many franchises leaning on haunting toys. It makes me think of that scene in “The Polar Express”. That puppet still gives me the creeps. Nice work!!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:41 Sep 08, 2023

I've met people who like bugs, but I don't think I've met anyone who likes centipedes (or it's never come up in conversation anyway). "Too many feet" is the common response. Though as I wrote this, it occurred to me I actually *did* have an orange caterpillar plush once, which was a stone's throw away - less the murder/pyro parts, thankfully. It's an interesting point with the haunting toys. Maybe it's a bit like the car accident you can't look away from - the gruesome and grotesque grabs our attention just as the beautiful does. Thanks ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joan Wright
23:05 Aug 06, 2023

Interesting story! The horror parts freaked me out a bit, but then it was supposed to right?

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:44 Aug 07, 2023

Thanks, Joan! Yes, I suppose it was :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:15 Aug 02, 2023

Bloody (fluffy?) Good fun Michal! My kids had one of these caterpillar plush things. Well, not one of THESE ... A non evil one. Had a lot of fun with it. Though speaking of evil...was it really evil..or did it just resurrect jacks dormant evil ... Lisa might need that armoire after all. To hide in!!

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:42 Aug 03, 2023

Thanks, Derrick! Great questions :) Saying "the evil toy made me do it" is an awfully convenient excuse :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Molly Kelash
15:18 Aug 02, 2023

Oh my GOD. That was so unexpected! Scared the fluff out of me! I love Lisa's pragmatic approach to everything, but does she realize she's marrying a murderer?! YIIIIKES. Anyway, fantastically well done--I enjoyed it to the last drop. And now I need to go get a beer (or twelve) and pizza to help me sleep tonight!

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:43 Aug 03, 2023

Thanks, Molly! Glad you enjoyed it :) Whatever the situation is, I suspect Lisa has a handle on things :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
21:44 Aug 01, 2023

Hold on. I Read slow

Reply

Show 0 replies
Belladona Vulpa
17:31 Aug 01, 2023

I read a lot of interesting stories of that week's prompts but this is truly my favorite! Where to start from, the engaging flows of thought, the symbols and themes, all the different emotions, the lively dialogue, or the reveal? I really liked also how you showed the owner of the shop, amazing in not so many words. I was hooked until the end. Amazing job, thank you for writing this!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:54 Aug 02, 2023

Thanks, Belladona! That's very encouraging to hear. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I appreciate the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ellen Neuborne
17:16 Aug 01, 2023

I love the twist. Haunted toys are real! Twas ever thus! Very entertaining read.

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:55 Aug 02, 2023

Thanks, Ellen! Very real indeed :) I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
14:51 Jul 31, 2023

This tale is full of creepy goodness, Michal. This is a great example of "tip of the iceberg" writing - with just as much, if not more, happening below the surface as what's happening right before you. The dread is palpable as the tension builds, it's so well executed. Warm and fuzzy quickly turns to flame, evil intent and death. What could be better? Antique stores do have a way of transporting one to a different time and place; like if only this inanimate object could talk? Brrrr. Careful with that one. Is it wrong that Li...

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:34 Aug 01, 2023

Heh, seems like Lisa is having that effect on people :) Cool and collected? Or cold and controlling? I think you're right about antiques. The appeal is, it's not just new things you're buying, straight from the factory, it's pre-owned objects that come with their own histories. What have they witnessed? I guess some people make it their mission to find out. I appreciate the feedback, Susan!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
02:51 Jul 31, 2023

Good reveal. This is a cleverly disguised story about a funny little town where the antique dealer frequently gets cursed, damned and haunted toys. You try to make us think its about a strange guy with a loose grip on reality. But no, he's sane. And so is the store owner. The fiance however, is very calm in the face of magic, possession, a screaming boyfriend and the store owners rather loud and radical solution. ("Fine," she said, absently flicking toy brain matter off of her sundress, "can I have that delivered by saturday?") I think ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:43 Jul 31, 2023

You're right about a good reveal - glad this one worked out. This story, like many others, was something else entirely in the first draft. But one idea led to another, it kept growing and became untenable, and so it got pared down to this scene, with characters being adjusted, etc. I think it had to be done, because the full thing was a novel. It was the script for a movie. Not really suitable for a short in under 3k, as it sometimes goes. One theme I did have in mind was how people change over time. How we might run into someone we once...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
19:06 Jul 29, 2023

Genuinely burst out laughing at Celiack, and the looking for a grant to study if vintage porn was more accepting of being adequate- pure fun. Thoroughly enjoyable read, at it's heart it's a story of a boy who is afraid of the dark which is easily relatable. Celine's dialogue was excellent and witty, yet coercive as well. And then setting the neighbourhood on fire, oh boy, the imagery of him singing the song as everyone ran out of the houses in flames was fantastically creepy. Great piece. 👍👏

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:45 Jul 31, 2023

Thanks, Kevin! It was lots of fun to write. "Celiack" was a special kind of serendipity :) Fear of darkness, fear of the unknown - that's probably universal. And sometimes, we'll go to great lengths to destroy what frightens us. Hmm, maybe Star Wars was right… "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, etc." I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
15:43 Jul 28, 2023

Great fun! Really lovely irreverent character in Celine. I have to admit I am a fan of coarse, purile humour. Like a cross between Rik Mayall in Drop Dead Fred and Beetljuice. The old guy reminded me of grandpa smashing through the wall at the end of The Lost Boys. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:47 Jul 31, 2023

Ah, Beetlejuice :) That's a fun one. Glad you enjoyed it, Chris! Celine was fun to write, especially with her tone so at odds with what might otherwise have been a heartfelt reunion. But sometimes, people aren't the way we remember them, after all. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
13:46 Jul 28, 2023

Damn! Jack the pyro and Lisa the semi-mundane fiancé. I think I liked the old man best. Shotgunning the evil toy as if it were just another day was classic! The shadow people. The pyromania. The armoire. It all contributed to how Jack used to see the world versus how he now sees the world, the pain he caused because he was in pain. Was Jack really evil, or was all of his destruction a manifestation of a child's mind screaming for retribution? Lots to unpack here, Michal. As usual, you fill your tales with themes, symbols, and motifs that sa...

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:06 Jul 30, 2023

Thanks, Del! Yeah, I figure for the store owner, this is just another Monday :) Glad you found some things to dig into. The story started as a very silly idea, and then there were some campy horror notions, but as so often happens, the characters grew as I spent time with them. Something I'm sure you're familiar with too. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:10 Jul 28, 2023

Pulls you right under. Definitely did not like Lisa, and Celine’s change of personality is real jolt. Loved the banter about couple name, and the opening line about vintage porn was hilarious—I wanted it to somehow physically save him to earn that line. The end where Lisa doesn’t really react to a shelf being blown away beside her screaming fiancé was surreal and I’m not sure I get why.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:05 Jul 29, 2023

Thanks, Anne! Glad there were some amusing bits :) Yeah, the end was a little surreal - though perhaps so was the reunion with a talking plush. I suspect Lisa just didn't like Celine, and getting rid of her was all manner of good-riddance. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
04:57 Jul 27, 2023

Michal, What dark, repressed memories do we all possess related to childhood toys? The only toys I remember were some zoo animals on wheels. WTF? Can't recall any evil there, but I did grow up hating zoos and the idea of captive animals. You launched into the horror at the right time, because that girlfriend definitely was a shadow monster waiting to get her controlling clutches into Jack's repressed life. She seemed outwardly sincere, but I agree with Celine's sentiment of, “Drop the slop. Ditch the bitch. Punt the cu–” Yeah, I said it ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:45 Jul 27, 2023

Thanks, Chris! Yeah, nobody likes being forgotten :) Lisa does seem to exert a degree of control. I suspect she "just wanted him to be happy" too, but you know what they say about good intentions. You're right about the toys too. I'm sure most people have some stories there. It's a big disconnect between what a manufacturer intends and what a child interprets. Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
15:07 Jul 26, 2023

This story has a spark of fun horror.🔥 Doo-dah, Doo-dah.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:15 Jul 26, 2023

Fun horror is the best horror :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:16 Jul 26, 2023

Fun story. Reminds me of stephen king. The backstory of Celine, a childhood toy that caused people to commit arson and terrible acts, was classic horror. With Jack returning to shopping for armoires at the end, I feel there's a deeper theme in this about the pull in young people between dangerous adventure and safe domesticity.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:16 Jul 26, 2023

Stephen King was no doubt an influence, can't deny, what with the childhood whatsit twisted to insane evil purposes. That's an interesting observation, about the two pulls on young people. Ultimately I guess that's why we read horror. We like it, we just don't want to live it ourselves. Vicarious adventure then? Seems fitting for the theme this week. My original idea was more or less "what if you run into someone you were once close to, and one of you moved on but the other stayed the same", but it seems that naturally touches some other ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
00:54 Jul 26, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:19 Jul 26, 2023

That's excellent insight :) Cold feet before the big day, perhaps. I don't know what it is about dusty shops and horror movies. You go in to buy a lamp and come out with gremlins. Maybe there's just something mysterious about items that have been owned, that have a history - or maybe this is all a ploy by Big Retail to get us frightened and buying new :) Thanks for reading, A. G.!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.