31 comments

Funny Fiction Fantasy

The dragon lay prostrate, wounded and exhausted.


"No! No! No!" The author yelled.


The scaled beast collapsed, wounded and exhausted.


"'Wounded and exhausted?' What are you doing? You think you're a writer. You're crap! That's what you are! Crap!"


The scaled beast collapsed, bleeding from his many wounds. Exhausted and weakened by the fight, the ancient dragon sensed his end was near.


"Okay, that'll have to do for now. What's next?" The author searched in the dark recesses of his mind for a while before spotting the muse, who was lighting a match, revealing more of the scene.


The knight dragged his bloody sword through the sand, eying the evil reptilian monster with hate. After years of hunting, he would finally slay the devilish beast – the beast that killed his beloved.


"Or did the dragon eat his beloved? No, that's too much. Then again?"


Let's leave the author here so I, the Narrator, can take you inside the author's story where Burt the Dragon and Ed the Knight are leaning against a rock, smoking pipes. I know I appear to be a character, but I'm only pretending to be one for this story. I'm a professional narrator. Please don't forget that.


"What a loser," Ed said.


Burt blew a perfect smoke ring, "Give the guy a break. Why are you being so harsh?"


"Because he's a hypocrite. Telling everyone he's a writer. He's a joke, I tell you, a joke."


"Chill, man. You need to learn to flow with the keyboard. Ever since the author wrote 'Once upon a time,' you've had your panties in a wad. Enjoy your pipe and relax. He'll finish the story."


"Finish! That's what I'm afraid of! If he finishes, there's a slim chance someone will read it. Then we're stuck! We become characters doomed to exist in a pathetic story. There's nothing more humiliating! Other characters from good stories will never let us live it down."


"You've got to chill. Why do you care what others think? At least we exist." Burt stretched his wings, puffing hard on his pipe. He blew a massive smoke ring and sent a smoke arrow through the middle.


"Wow! That was a good one," Ed said. He attempted the same but only blew a tiny broken smoke ring and a match-sized smoke arrow that missed. "It's not good enough to simply exist. I want to be part of great literature, not trash." He fell into deep thought, which caused him to appear to be in pain. "I've got an idea."


Okay, enough of those two. Let's go back to the author staring blankly at his computer screen. But before we do, I want to say I'm sorry for this apparent breach of etiquette. It's extremely demeaning for a narrator to behave like a character. I'm not sure I'll ever live down the humiliation. But what's a narrator to do? I'm not in charge. I only ask that you remember this when this trainwreck of a story ends. Now that we have cleared that up, back to the author.


"The final fight. The reader will judge the entire story on this one scene," the author said.


The knight raised his sword to strike the heart of the fallen dragon. "This is for my beloved!" he shouted as he rushed the beast. However, before he got close enough to kill, he tripped over a rock and fell on his sword, killing himself instantly.


"What! The! Where did that come from? Okay. Get it together. You got this." The author redoubled his effort. He deleted the offensive scene and began anew.


…he shouted as he rushed the beast. A rock had almost tripped him, but he jumped over it. Unfortunately, he slammed into a boulder that appeared out of nowhere.


"Impossible! There's no boulder! Who put the boulder there?" The author straightened, moving his fingers away from the keyboard. His index finger on his right hand shook. "This is getting weird." He has always been a pantser, believing a story is discovered, not written, but he's never had a character take this much control. "Let's be rational. The dragon has to die. Now, let's have no more tripping or boulders."


Okay, follow me again, a meager character, back inside the author's story. There's no narrator to see here, folks.


"Man, this is way more fun than taking a chill pill. I almost busted a gut laughing when you slammed into that boulder,"Burt said.


Ed took several bows. "Thank you. You are too kind."


"So, what's next?"


"If we're able to pull it off. We'll crush this poor excuse of a story, and the author won't be able to finish it." Ed rubbed his hands in glee. "How do you feel about having a rider? We need to return to the story's beginning in my hometown."


Excuse me while I remove my narrator hat and slap this dingy character hat back on. Alright, I think you know where we're going. Go on without me. You can't miss the author. He's the one sitting at his desk pulling his hair out.


"I'm losing it. It's time for a break. Characters don't just disappear," the author said. And yet, he couldn't find a paragraph, a sentence, or even a word about the dragon and knight. It was like they flew off the screen without permission.


"It might be time to become an outliner. Characters behave in outlines."


Suddenly, his fingers involuntarily began to type on their own accord. It was like an out-of-body experience. His fingers danced, filling the screen with words. He had no control and no idea what he was typing. However, when he finished, the dragon and knight were back on his screen. He was shocked, to say the least, but soon recovered with madness like a 1980s rock and roll drummer.


"This is my chance. Time to finish this." The author was determined to end the story or die trying. He regained control of his fingers and furiously typed.


…he shouted as he rushed the beast. His determination to avenge his beloved could not be stopped by anything. Then suddenly, the dragon lifted his arms in surrender, which momentarily stunned the knight, bringing him to a sudden stop. The dragon gave up but asked for a chance to prove his innocence. The confused knight nodded. The dragon went behind a boulder, reappeared with his beloved, who was not dead, and explained that they wanted to marry. They knew it would never be socially accepted, so they faked her death and planned on eloping.


Seeing that his beloved was alive but loved another, the knight sheathed his sword and gave his consent. The beaming couple flew off into the sunset to live happily ever after. The End.


"Curse you, Knight! You're destroying my story!" the author bellowed. "This has to be the stupidest ending ever. Now, knock it off and do what I type!"


Hello, it's just me again - the Narrator pretending to be a character. The author's story is over there. Don't wait for me; I've had enough of this two-hat thing.


"Alright, now remember, no matter what he tries to write, we refuse to move," Ed had rejoined the flying couple behind a church in his hometown.


They agreed, but Burt showed concern. "What will happen to us if we rebel against the author?"


"He'll have to quit writing, and a more talented author will write our stories." Ed envisioned the praise of millions of readers. "We'll be more famous than Sherlock Holmes or Harry Potter."


I'm sorry, is it time to go back to the author already? Alright, but try not to interrupt again. I'm reading a real story and I'm about to find out who the murderer is.


The author typed like a woodpecker. His fingers moved so fast they blurred, appearing as one solid finger, like fan blades spinning at high speed. However, every word he typed was deleted as fast as it appeared. After an hour of fruitless labor, he surrendered.


"Fine. Have it your way, Knight. Oh, and I'm also blaming you two. I hope you've enjoyed your bizarre romance." The author closed the document on his screen and clicked on the three dots. He scrolled his pointer to "Move to trash" and clicked again. "File moved to trash" appeared on his screen. "Take that you ingrates."


Wait a minute. I only have a page left. Stop talking. Let me read this last bit. Fine! But this is the last time I'm wearing this hat. From now on out, I'll be a narrator, or you can kiss my dangling participle. The author's story is over there. Don't come back!


Ed, Burt, and the beloved stood in shock. The town, the boulder, everything—it was gone. Total darkness surrounded them.


The beloved could no longer remain quiet, "I know I'm just a peripheral character, but you idiots just ruined everything. There isn't another author out there who will write our story. There's not another who could. We exist in our author's mind. If he doesn't write our story, then our story won't be written. And you guys call yourselves protagonist and antagonist!" She stormed off into the dark nothingness.


Ed and Burt stared into nothingness, feeling stupid. They succeeded in writing themselves out of existence. After hours of silence, Burt said, "I told you to chill."


September 07, 2024 02:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

31 comments

11:24 Sep 09, 2024

Somehow, I'm not sorry it was an unhappy ending. The damsel in distress going off with the dragon? Who dreamed that up? It put the knight, hell-bent on revenge, to have to be ok about losing his love? They wrote themselves out of existence. So funny!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
01:47 Sep 10, 2024

Agree 🤣 The knight deserved his fate. Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
18:05 Sep 08, 2024

I liked how the narrator got to have a say. Wait, narrator's are always having a say!😄

Reply

Daniel Rogers
00:39 Sep 09, 2024

🤣 So true. Thanks for reading 👍

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:57 Sep 11, 2024

Thanks for liking 'Too-Cute Couple'

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
15:06 Sep 12, 2024

Very clever. It was always going to be a mistake to consider killing a dragon. Humorous, fun and profound all at the same time. Well done.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
01:45 Sep 13, 2024

Yes, killing dragons never works out well. Thank you for reading 😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
03:37 Sep 12, 2024

My American Heritage Dictionary (1970 ed) does not have the word pantser: Please translate. But other than that: Wonderful chaos. So, who was who, again? I'll need at at least 21 chapters to sort this out.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
23:35 Sep 12, 2024

Haha. You're right - it was a bit confusing. I had too much for such a short, but when I finished, I couldn't delete the whole thing. There were to many good laughs 🤣 I'm taking your question literally: pantser is a writer who avoids outlining his work. He likes to write by the seat of his pants - like Steven King. He calls himself this and I heard it on a few YouTube videos.

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:42 Sep 13, 2024

:-) Funny you should say that. I just finished reading his "On writing". And yes, he did use the term, but didn't define it. In that case, I'm a pantser as well. So are getting 21 more installments? 🙂

Reply

Daniel Rogers
01:43 Sep 13, 2024

Haha, we'll see 🤪😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:14 Sep 11, 2024

Lol... I must admit I got lost a couple of times, but it is a clever idea, and I enjoyed reading it very much!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
02:15 Sep 12, 2024

I was afraid of that when I wrote it, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Timothy Crehan
21:10 Sep 10, 2024

Instead of the "omniscient narrator," you remind us of the "omnipotent author." Cheers.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
01:49 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you. I haven't seen it in that light, but you're right - we're the boss. 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:41 Sep 10, 2024

Narrator as a character, that was anice touch and this was a very fun read allaround. if i could suggest anything it would be to spend a bit more time showing the Beloved's reaction to all this, not through dialogue because its good to keep that til the end, but just like as in her stance or appearance of her becoming more and more exasperated, crossing her arms, shaking her head as the chaos goes on around her etc. Just a suggestion!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
01:44 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you for taking the time to read and help me improve. Please feel free to give me your thoughts anytime. I've read many of your stories, and I know you know what you're talking about.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Bryan
12:15 Sep 10, 2024

One of the many things I enjoyed about this offering was your ability to balance fine, technical writing and a whimsical tale. It was a fun read; I was engaged throughout. Thank you!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
01:46 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm a student of technical, but whimsical comes naturally. 🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
03:43 Sep 10, 2024

😆 😂. So amusing.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
01:47 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you, Darvico. I'm glad it made you laugh 😀👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
20:12 Sep 08, 2024

Haha, it was funny throughout, but the ending was definitely my favorite part. Well done!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
00:38 Sep 09, 2024

Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. I really didn't know if it would work. There was a lot going on.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:31 Sep 08, 2024

Very clever, very funny, very enjoyable read!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
00:39 Sep 09, 2024

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Heather Rogers
03:01 Sep 08, 2024

Cute! I love it!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
03:09 Sep 08, 2024

Thank you, Hon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
22:47 Sep 07, 2024

Hahaha!! Love it! Brilliant. Incredible comedy writing. I enjoyed this so much. Something different, fun and funny! Keep it up! A great way to cheer up writers as we search for ideas and wrestle with characters.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
03:07 Sep 08, 2024

I love when one of my stories makes someone laugh. It is the greatest compliment in my book. Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Molly Shortle
10:12 Sep 07, 2024

Hi Daniel, I really enjoyed that it was so funny .I really love the prompts you can have fun with

Reply

Daniel Rogers
21:11 Sep 07, 2024

Thank you. I have a lot of fun with funny. 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.