Seatbelts Fastened

Written in response to: Write about someone grappling with an insecurity.... view prompt

48 comments

Fiction Inspirational Sad

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

Like the fading colours of the sky, so am I, a sculpture held still beneath the grains of sand. 


Like the rapid moving pillow lip of my math teacher, so am I, troubled in my own mind while the teacher would ravel my every misery.


Like the rainbow drops of rain, so am I, misconceived as rain are really the tears of the sky. 


But who's to look inside?

Is that what’s called life? 

It might turn out to be a cherry to some’s perfect cake. 

But for me, it’s a curse. 

In your language, a Cruciatus Curse.


Confirming the satisfaction of the freedom, I set my both feet off ground, unknowingly breaking the chains of the suppressed voices. 


 It's yet to come.


 The warmth in my veins drained out, giving its space to the tingles of insecurity. Each bone and muscle of my body whacked and washed out in a dark corner of my soul. Still in my bloody soul. I lurched forward as the driver’s foot met the brake, almost hitting my head with the thin crisp glass. Still, the clutching nails embedded in the tuft of the front seat, the heated balls in my socket started to search the whole area as I landed my eyes on one seat. Guilty shudders of fear crawled up and choked my heart. Was this my bad luck or my good luck's betrayal? 


The quest was not over yet. The last battle was yet to be conquered. I tried my best to look invisible, to look compact, to slip out of the devil’s attention. At last, my wobbly knees met the hardwood of my seat. The clench loosened. Almost complete. Almost. When suddenly, out of the crumbled noises, someone yelled my name. offering free tickets for everyone to stare at me with cruel grins sharpening the smiles. 


Damn it.


 I cursed my rotten luck and looked up, ready to sacrifice myself as a hostile civilian. 


“W-what d-do you want? L-leave m-me alone!” I managed to mumble afraid it might not even clang to their buds. One of them, graced with a red hoodie, cocked an eyebrow at me. No, maybe she heard. 

“What did you say little punk? Let us give you a demo of what we can do..”


A muscled arm slithered down my shoulder while the freckled constellations on my face began to burn. The red hoodie girl cupped her finger around my mouth, pressing my cheeks inside, almost making them collide with each other and my mouth moulded in an open pout. 


“Make him sit. Kim, bring on the fun.” Her harsh voice reflected through my cold beads of sweat and she turned to me, our noses on the verge of rubbing each other. “Kid, you won’t mind me giving you a pretty haircut. Would you?” she said, hovering a sharp scissor over my head. I tried to yell but only whimpered noises came out of my carpeted mouth. With my round puffy eyes overflowing with fear more than tears, I stared at the grinning barbers as they did my makeover.


My whole way to my house, I had my hands arched over my head with my swollen teary eyes making up the score. Those insensitive bastards...who do they think they are? My head had been almost shaved clean in the front, with a few strong hairs still dancing on the scalp. I don’t even know how I would be able to go to school tomorrow. 


“Life Sucks” I mumbled repeatedly as I lumbered by. I might’ve looked worst than a man with crutches, thanks to that Kim, who had her knee choking up my thigh. A lump of agony started to form in each of my lymph. All I wanted to do was punch the hell out of each one of them, but I knew the lies in my thoughts. The impossibilities. Every time I’d go in front of them, I can’t help but stutter and squeak like a drenched cat. 


As my freezing fingers met the doorbell, my sockets had already sucked up the salty waters leaving a few traces of glitter. A fragile woman opened the door, her brown skin so thin and papery, I sometimes feared that a little scratch would cost litres of blood to perish. 


“Lele?” A high pitched yet soothing voice rose from her throat, as she saw my new avatar. 

“Don’t say” I snapped before she could say another word, rushing the way to my room. 


I placed my school bag on the side table, making my place on a white wheeled chair. As I rested my face between the crook of both my palms, an unpleasant taste filled my mouth. Without my notice, the heavy tanks had leaked and now the rivers were streaming down my face. I wondered if granny saw that. After a few moments of wiping my tears off and temporarily fixing the broken parts, I placed my hand firmly on the chocolate draping table. With a sudden jerk, my white chair started to spin. A few notable seconds and the surrounding started to blur. My eyes rolled inside my skull, advancing to the deeply embedded truths. 


24 December 2018, just the day before Christmas. Martha and I were only eleven years old, staring inside the gift shops with sheepish smiles playing on our lips. The threads of memories still tangled around my fingers, how Martha would never let go of my hand, no matter how sweaty it got, considering the few months gap between us. She used to go on and on with stories about the books she just read or the ones that were queued up, waiting to get an entry ticket to her bookshelf. Unlike me, she was a total book nerd and would go blabbing on till eternity until and unless dad intervened.


Dad, he was my hero. I still remember, when I was just a kid, I found myself crawling in a puddle of mud, crying my heart out. I cried and cried expecting dad to come, but he just stood there, watching me admiringly while cherishing a piece of cake! Breaking the bounds of my anger, I finally got out myself and snatched the last bits of cake from his hand, thus learning my first and most important lesson. 


It was a cold December evening, with scrapes of snow dripping down the frozen sky. I and mom were standing outside a bicycle shop waiting for dad and Martha, who had gone to buy us some ice creams. My hands were wrapped tightly around my mom’s arm, rubbing against the warmth of her skin. A shudder of excitement ran down my spine as I saw Martha and Dad coming towards us with a plastic bag full of delicacies. I drew my hand from mom’s firm grip and started clapping, getting a huge wave in return from Martha. As they made their way forward, a speeding car forged ahead towards them. The next moment I knew, two bleeding carcasses were lying in front of me, faces so wrecked, I barely recognized them. The excited smirk of mine had then been overshadowed by a horrified expression. It all happened in a fraction of seconds. That perfect family of mine that I always bragged about, was now just shattered into bits of pieces that I would never be able to fix together. 


My hand kept pushing the white table once in a while, trying to maintain the continuity of the motion. All of a sudden, I placed my feet back on the ground stopping the stirring abruptly and I laid still, staring listlessly at the plain ceiling. My eyes drifted to the slightly noisy toing and froing of the fan, trying to analyse the motion and tracking the velocity of its wings.


Those few instances were good enough to snatch the confidence out of me. I started to spend most of my time alone at home, while my mother peeled her skin out in the office. The next few months took shape of the heavy dark clouds that kept lightning with the helpless sun rays struggling behind them. The knots between me and my friends loosened. Oftentimes, unaware people would ask me questions about my family, pushing me to the well of endless pain of the past. My fragile heart had been shattered so many times, it had learnt to thicken its walls now. Some even tried to trace me down, offering petals of love, but in the end, all gave up except one. 


Cathy. We were together from the day we were born. We had spent endless sleepovers, having cheesy talks about forbidden topics and toppling down bottles of soda. No one knew me better than her. After getting the news of my late father and sister, she called me endless times. I declined them all. Still, she never gave up.  


07 March 2019, The blueberry ice tea was freezing in my left hand, as I felt the droplets slip by. I double-checked the surroundings and carefully walked forward, tracing my steps on the zebra linings. 


All clear 


Just before I could place my foot on the levelled footpath, I heard someone shout my name but I didn’t dare to look back. Finally, entering the safe zone, I turned around to see a young teen in a black jumpsuit, running towards me. For a moment, I felt the air around me lighten and the running thoughts seemed to halt. I motioned my hand in a big wave, opening the doors for a wide grin on Cathy’s face. Soon, my eyes drifted from her to a confronting truck. My heartbeats popped out of my chest and swirled around my ears. I yelled ‘CATHY!’ but the screams bounced off uselessly as my suffering eyes saw her body being crushed under the tire. Dark stains of blood covered the road, stains I knew would never fade. 


Streams of tears rolled down my face. I ran towards Cathy, ignoring my self-made ground rules, and picked her lifeless face in both of my hands. A loud yell left my mouth as I sobbed in frustration filled with grief.  


What was it with me and accidents? 


 The passage of a few moments had caught me insane. Unconsciously, I stood up from my chair and opened my mirror coated cupboard. Feeling the thickness of the thing I craved, I moved forward. 


Standing on a blue stool, that I had plucked on my way, I tied the thick threads of rope around the fan. My fingers rolled over and made the perfect knot, moulding the rope into a circle, fine enough to pass my head through. I had no idea what I was doing. I just knelt to an unknown powerful force who kept assuring me the pros, filling my mind with hard stones of the struggles I’ve been through. The dark sleepless nights I have spent, crying in a corner. The worth I’ve got in this never-ending human race.


 A part of my heart questioned ‘IS IT REALLY WORTH YOUR LIFE?’ 


Without giving it a second thought, I penetrated my head into the hole and pushed the blue stool with the tip of my toes. 


In a matter of few seconds, I started to feel the pressure on my throat. It was getting hard to breathe. Each and every muscle of my body withered and begged to come out loose. My heart started to feel heavy and a painful sensation ran through my brain. 


Last moments of pain. I assured myself. 


Just before the last plunge, a strong pair of arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me away. I felt my eyes go blurry for a couple of seconds, but later reviving the lost colours of the world. The colours I was going to lose forever. Still choking and panting, I looked at the person to whom the arms belonged. Her eyes were filled with aching tears, while a scared yet relieved reaction masked her face. She pulled me into a hug and we both broke into loud sobs. 


“I am so sorry, mom.” I sniffled near her ear and her grip around me tightened. 


“Never. Do. That. Again. I don’t want to lose you too Lele. Without you, I-I..” Her voice faded as she pressed a few kisses on my forehead and cheeks. 


“I won’t” I promised and we both hugged each other tightly which seemed like hours. 


“Listen, Lele,” Mom said as she softly patted my hair.


“Hm?” I said, my eyes looking up. 


“Having such thoughts during this age is completely normal, I understand that. But you must know, suicide is not the option. It’s just a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Did you ever think how many people you’ll hurt? Your family, Your friends-”


“Don’t talk about friends. I don’t have friends. All the people in this whole world are just selfish souls. Nothing else. I will never have a friend.” I interrupted my voice now filled with sparks of fury.


She smiled at me warmly, continuing the soft caress. 


“Not all people are evil, child. One should know who to trust and whom not to. And about having a friend, do you know why is it so? It’s because time has got bigger plans for you. I promise, that someday you’ll get the best friend in the whole world, and she won’t be like anyone else. 

Just remember what I said, Giving up and making so huge choices in a matter of minutes is not the solution. You got a whole life in front of you. It’s just a roller coaster, crests and troughs would always be there so keep your seatbelts fastened my dear Lele, there is more than what you expect.” 


And these few words, they found a new home in my heart, carved to my deepest reach. 


October 02, 2021 12:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

48 comments

Keya J.
12:40 Oct 02, 2021

Hello there, This story has actually been written many moons ago. I am glad to find a suitable prompt to share it with you all. Looking forward to honest critiques and reactions. Hope you enjoy!

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:23 Nov 13, 2021

I’m not sure I would say I enjoyed it but I was glad she didn’t commit suicide in the end. There is always hope if we get through the bad times.

Reply

Keya J.
08:04 Nov 14, 2021

The world runs on hope✌️ Thank you for your thoughts, Graham.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:40 Oct 18, 2021

Moving, beautiful, and amazing. This is a strong story with a powerful message. Loved it!

Reply

Keya J.
04:25 Oct 19, 2021

Thanks a lot, Aaron!

Reply

14:21 Oct 20, 2021

Actually, my name is Emerald, or Em, this is just a joke nickname, but you're welcome! And thanks!

Reply

Keya J.
05:25 Oct 21, 2021

Oh, my bad. Well then, thanks a lot Em.

Reply

12:39 Oct 22, 2021

That's ok!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Johana Htwe
14:14 Oct 02, 2021

Another perfect story of yours!! I must admit that I felt a sudden wave of sadness when Lele's mom saved Lele. Your description of how Lele feels is so perfect! It feels so real! Great Job!

Reply

Keya J.
16:25 Oct 02, 2021

Thank you so much Johana, I am happy it surfaced out so well. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Johana Htwe
03:35 Oct 03, 2021

Huh, Thanks for reading!! No need to thank cuz I thank you for your beautiful stories!!!

Reply

Keya J.
03:37 Oct 03, 2021

😘

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
15:04 Nov 03, 2021

The description is perfectly done. Once again, fine work.

Reply

Keya J.
04:52 Nov 04, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshara P
06:12 Oct 27, 2021

Hey Keya! How have you been? My new stories are out, check them out when you can? :)

Reply

Keya J.
20:16 Oct 30, 2021

Heya! I just checked your story out! It's amazing!!

Reply

Akshara P
10:04 Oct 31, 2021

Haha, I commented that when I wrote the story "Flaws are stars" 💕 Can we expect for you to be coming back anytime soon? :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charli Britton
20:09 Oct 25, 2021

This is just jaw dropping. I teared up a bit and I— I just don't even have words. Seriously. Amazing. Brings attention to certain aspects that need attention. I sincerely hope that you are not drawing inspiration from your own life for this particular story. I love how your beginning was sort of like a poem. I think I have said all that needs to be said that can be put into words. -Charli

Reply

Keya J.
09:38 Oct 26, 2021

Woah, thanks a lot Charli. You just made my day!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eric D.
22:15 Oct 23, 2021

I am happy that Lele took the words to heart and she would hopefully get better. It was so sad reading what happened to her, really heartbreaking story written in such a great poetic dreamlike style.

Reply

Keya J.
03:53 Oct 24, 2021

Thank you so much, Eric! I am glad you enjoyed it and the emotions got conveyed well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
20:35 Oct 21, 2021

All the things that happened to this poor child were bad enough, but what really made the story sad to me was the part at the beginning. It goes to show people should think before they act because they never know what that person has been through. I must admit, it was hard to keep my eyes dry reading this. It was a sad, but powerful story.

Reply

Keya J.
09:00 Oct 22, 2021

Thank you so much, Gip. I am happy I was able to successfully evoke the emotion a lot of young children go through. I appreciate the deep thoughts. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Miles Gatling
05:21 Oct 21, 2021

I like the synonyms you chose. It adds to the scene. A happy ending is always best.

Reply

Keya J.
05:24 Oct 21, 2021

That's a lot, Miles!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kanika G
13:45 Oct 18, 2021

This is a very moving story. I'm glad the protagonist did not give up and her mother's words resonated with her. It's very well-written and I loved the title. Well done, Keya!

Reply

Keya J.
15:28 Oct 18, 2021

Thank you so much, Kanika! The title took me a while to click but I am glad it worked out. Thanks again :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
08:03 Oct 15, 2021

Please comment my story it is just a research work I will edit but I need to read your pleasant words for my story

Reply

Keya J.
09:50 Oct 15, 2021

Sure! I am kinda caught up right now, but I'll check it ASAP.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
08:00 Oct 15, 2021

Like the rainbow drops of rain; wow, I am highly impressed by only one above sentence and I really have no word to pay my regards, respect to whole story, it is simply the best of the best master piece, I wish to write like you you are perfect

Reply

Keya J.
09:48 Oct 15, 2021

Thank you so so much! You just made my day.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshara P
17:14 Oct 10, 2021

Let me know when you come back, I'm gonna miss you! I'm honored to be one of the people who have helped and inspired you, thanks for adding me there! Stay well! :)

Reply

Keya J.
06:21 Oct 13, 2021

I miss you too!! Kinda buried with loads of everyday work and future thoughts, but I'd try my best to read your beautiful updates. Best of luck. :)

Reply

Akshara P
12:36 Oct 18, 2021

You got my name spelled wrong on your author bio!! :)

Reply

Keya J.
15:18 Oct 18, 2021

Uh-oh, my apologies. I have updated it now. :) Sorry.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Fiery Red
04:37 Oct 10, 2021

This is a tragic tale. The emotions are crafted so beautifully. I liked your story especially the ending. You writing is really good. Keep up the good work. Keep writing and growing!!

Reply

Keya J.
06:22 Oct 13, 2021

Thank you so much Fiery :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
05:11 Oct 09, 2021

Hi Keya, This was incredibly sad, and jam packed with emotion. It really tugged at my heart strings and I really enjoyed it. Your writing is very good, and I loved the descriptions. Great job! :)

Reply

Keya J.
06:32 Oct 09, 2021

Thanks a lot Daniel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
08:51 Oct 08, 2021

Great job with this story, full of raw emotion. I felt so sad when she gave up. I wanted to shout No! at her, which is a sure sign of good writing. You have quite a unique, poetic style of describing things too. Well done!

Reply

Keya J.
12:19 Oct 08, 2021

Thank you so much Rachel! My grin is too wide to describe. I am glad to see it evoke the feeling I intended. Thanks again. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Rama
22:33 Oct 07, 2021

Beautiful story! It was like I could feel everything Lele went through! I really liked the last sentence-it was very touching and a nice ending! The dialogue was very realistic and the beginning sounded very poetic! Great job! Keep writing!

Reply

Keya J.
00:04 Oct 08, 2021

Thanks a lot, Lily, your comment has lifted my spirits further up. I am so glad to see it turn out the way I expected, evoking that feel in every soul. Thank you so much.

Reply

Lily Rama
00:22 Oct 08, 2021

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sonya G
21:40 Oct 07, 2021

This is amazing Keya! Your descriptions are vivid and realistic and overall it’s very intriguing, keep writing!

Reply

Keya J.
00:01 Oct 08, 2021

Thank you so much Sonya!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshara P
13:33 Oct 07, 2021

Another beautiful story, your description of how Lele felt was so realistic! You had me emotionally connected when Lele's mom saved Lele, and the sentence at the end just made everything even more beautiful then before! Wonderful! How do you write so well? :)

Reply

Keya J.
14:15 Oct 07, 2021

wow! Your beautiful comments really motivate me a lot!!! thank you so so much Akshara.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.