30 comments

American Contemporary Urban Fantasy

     “I can’t believe we’re arguing over this. You know the law gave me the right to make this decision.” 

   “But, Mom. I can make my own decisions. It’s my life.”

   That’s how the conversation went between us for years. The day finally came when we could put the argument behind us.

   Just like every morning since my wedding day, I checked the safe for my family’s most prized possessions. After updating the camera and coordinating the app on my phone, I breathed a sigh of relief and patted myself on the back. Meticulously vigilant, I prided myself on taking supreme care of my husband’s stash of wealth before we added my son’s birthright to the safe. Then, for 25 years, I successfully managed both; monitoring my son’s inheritance and watching it grow and mature from almost nothing. Unexpected tears of pride stung my eyes as I grabbed my heart. You see, it was my son, Geordie’s, wedding day—the day I triumphantly transferred the responsibility and honor of his inheritance to his new wife.

   As I completed my morning surveillance check, my husband snuck up behind me and wrapped his arms around me. Kissing my neck, he told me how proud he was of me for protecting our treasures. I moaned agreement with him and let my thoughts wander while we snuggled. 

   See, other women, who weren’t as careful as me, lost their most beloved valuables. In fact, one of my dear friends made the mistake of keeping hers in a Tupperware container under her bed—the dog ate it. Needless to say, her husband divorced her and joined a monastery of Eunuchs. (Also, Tupperware stock plummeted, but that’s a different story.) Another friend had a house fire, but her husband’s legacy was insured for twice its value. They ended up with an enormous upgrade and she is now the happiest woman I’ve ever met. 

  And then there are those selfish women who refused to try. I never really understood them. Maybe they didn’t have a head for numbers, or perhaps they were too busy to make it a priority. Of course, I’m referring to the ones who never tried to protect it in the first place….the ones who just gave it back to the men. I read about their protests on Twitter—something about equality, bodily autonomy and reproductive rights; words that don’t apply to me, so I ignored them.   

   Don’t get me wrong, I have felt conflicted about my choices. It’s something we all had to face when leaving childhood behind: an ethical dilemma of sorts. Do we choose the path of liberal freedom or the path of conservatism? For me, it was all about my upbringing and moral integrity. I chose this path because of my personal, deep-rooted responsibility to future generations. 

   There were times, however, when I wondered whether or not I was doing the right thing. Especially during the raging hormonal days of Geordie’s teenage years. He begged me, many times, to hand over his inheritance. 

   “Come on, Mom! It’s my first date.”

   “No, Geordie. Get a job and show me you’re responsible enough to handle it. Then, we’ll talk.”

   I truly struggled over what to do when he graduated from high school, but I held my ground.

   “Mom, come on. I’m 18–a legal adult. I can drive a car and join the military…”

   “No, son. You’re not finished with college and you don’t have a job. You’re not even paying for your own health insurance.”

   “But Mom, all of my friends have theirs.”

   “If all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you?” 

   A lot of mothers I knew signed over their child’s inheritance when their kid went to college. I considered it, too. Part of me understood that access to his birthright might teach Geordie responsibility and give him a chance to understand himself on a deeper level. But, after mulling it over and weighing the pros and cons, I decided the stakes were just too high. I think he hated me for exerting so much control over his life, but I was only doing what what best for him. 

   My husband kissed me and put his hand up my dress, instantly jerking me out of my nostalgic reminiscing. When he tore off my panties and shoved his head under my petticoat, I forgot all about the conflict of the past and screamed my approval of his agile tongue. After 30 years of marriage, I had to admit—the sex was amazing. 

   “Somebody wants to make a withdrawal from the safe, huh?”

   “Well, our son is getting his today. I thought, maybe, we could…you know…I mean…”

   “As long as we make sure to put it back. We still have retirement to think about.” 

   Later, as I fixed my hair and makeup for the wedding, I thought about how I would present the endowment to Geordie. I considered leaving it in the safe we installed in the couple’s new home so they’d be surprised when they returned from their honeymoon. 

   “I suspect they will need it on their honeymoon, dear.” My husband spoke up for Geordie, admitting he wanted our son to enjoy himself. 

   “I suppose you’re right. But, what if they have a baby?” Certainly, someone needed to look out for our future grandchildren. 

   “That’s up to them now, dear. Aren’t you glad my mother relinquished control of my assets on our wedding day?” He pleaded with me to see reason.

   I blotted my lipstick and pulled up my Spanx. Sighing, I realized my husband was right. That’s when the idea dawned on me. 

   “Do we have any pickles?” I inquired of my husband, who usually handled the grocery shopping.

   “I think there’s a small jar in there.” He lifted an eyebrow and stared at me. He looked like James Bond in his tuxedo and if I hadn’t just fixed my makeup, I’d have jumped him again.

   “No. I need the big jar. You know why…” I pointed at our wedding picture and understanding lit his face. 

   We didn’t have much time before the ceremony, so we rushed to the nearest supermarket. Dressed to the nines in our formal wedding attire while holding a giant jar of pickles, we really stood out from the crowd. 

   “It’s good to see some people still honor tradition.” The cashier, an older lady with gray hair and a raspy, smoker’s hack, nodded her approval at our purchase.

   “Excuse me?” I wasn’t entirely sure what she meant.

   “That’s how they did it in the old days. You know…buried it in the backyard in a pickle jar.” She explained before giving us our total.

   Back at home, I emptied the pickles into a Tupperware container and fed one to our Golden Retriever, Mags. After fixing the jar up with a fancy ribbon and bow, I secured my son’s long-awaited entitlement.

   Turning to my husband on the way to the church, I had a sudden panicked thought.

   “Will he know how to use it? Should I have printed off instructions of something?”

   My husband grinned at me from behind the wheel of our Hummer. 

   “There are countless videos on YouTube, Dear. Besides, we didn’t have instructions and we did just fine.”

   After the beautiful, heart-warming ceremony, we proceeded to the reception where I chased a couple of Xanax with champagne and went over my notes for my speech. The emcee introduced them as the gorgeous couple entered the room. Finally, after cutting the cake and throwing the bouquet, they prepared to exit for their honeymoon. 

   “Dear, it’s cruel to make them wait any longer. Give it to her. She married him. It’s hers now.” My husband gave me a little encouraging shove toward the microphone. 

   “Excuse me. I have one last gift for our bride. Ophelia, would you please join me over here?” I held my new daughter-in-law’s hand while I spoke. Tears of joy rolled down both our cheeks. “On this day, I, Geordie’s mother, present to you, a gift. Just as my husband’s mother presented to me on our wedding day.” I paused and retrieved the pickle jar from the bag. Holding it high in the air for all to see, my voice shook with pride as I spoke. 

   Later that night, I said a prayer, thanking God for the evolutionary mutation that led to the creation of the detachable, screw-on penis; and for lawmakers who gave women control over them. After my prayers, I shared a pickle with my husband while we cuddled and watched TV. And we all lived happily ever after. 

THE END. 

July 02, 2022 02:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

Riel Rosehill
14:59 Jul 04, 2022

Hahaha I KNEW this was what was going on from the Twitter line..! "I read about their protests on Twitter—something about equality, bodily autonomy and reproductive rights; words that don’t apply to me, so I ignored them." - a real quote from white christian men in power? Yeah. Through it right back at them! --- In a pickle jar. Hilarious. The poor fictional guys of your world... The one where THE DOG ATE IT --- Ouch! It's so cruel but you know, fair play, the patriarchy deserved this one for SURE. Brilliant satire.

Reply

Sharon Hancock
01:04 Jul 05, 2022

Thank you so much for truly getting me, my friend 😻. And for reading and commenting. 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
06:05 Jul 04, 2022

Great foreshadowing of the ending on this one, Sharon! I didn't see it coming at all, but you've definitely got enough hints there that a more astute reader could probably pick up on where things are headed before the last paragraph. Or maybe not. The twist is pretty wild. 😂 I love that you're branching out in the Reedsy genres. Middle School, Urban Fantasy, Coming of Age? I respect it! This is also the most open-ended prompt of this contest, and the easiest to turn into something creative, which is what this story is. This is some fun sati...

Reply

Sharon Hancock
01:18 Jul 05, 2022

Thank you so much for reading and commenting😻 It came from a comment a friend made to me in jest years ago about stopping men from cheating by keeping their penises in a pickle jar. Then, all this Supreme Court nonsense in the US happened (and before that, Texas etc), and I got angry about all the focus on controlling female bodies (people with uteruses). I wondered if anyone had thought about what it would be like for the shoe to be on the other foot, so to speak. People talk about mandating vasectomies, but even that isn’t as involved as a...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
21:38 Jul 05, 2022

Funny how the female readers get it from the beginning but the guys didn't see it coming... no pun intended. Great story.

Reply

Sharon Hancock
01:58 Jul 06, 2022

😂😂😂 hello! Thanks for reading and commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Marlow
00:12 Jul 04, 2022

I like how you held off on the payoff till the end, kinda like the way it goes, when it's good.😉

Reply

Sharon Hancock
01:01 Jul 04, 2022

Hello! Thank you so much for reading and commenting😻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:37 Jul 02, 2022

Heh :) An amusing, satirical flip of the sad events happening recently in the real world. It was pretty clear early on that we weren't talking about money in the vault, but I didn't see the twist coming. In retrospect, there were some great clues, like the eunuchs, the under-the-petticoat, all the pickles. And knowing what the ending is, some of the fairly neutral lines now take on a deeper, darker meaning. The one that stands out: "I read about their protests on Twitter—something about equality, bodily autonomy and reproductive rights;...

Reply

Sharon Hancock
01:06 Jul 03, 2022

Hello! Yes you’re right. I angry-wrote this one. 😂 Thank you so much for reading and for your insightful comments. 😻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
08:39 Jul 09, 2022

Clapping.

Reply

Sharon Hancock
01:52 Jul 10, 2022

Thanks!😻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
18:22 Jul 08, 2022

Great story, Sharon. But in the world I inhabit, the ladies play the game as much as the men do. A brave thing it would be if someone in the community were to address the quandary of the cuckold.

Reply

Sharon Hancock
01:51 Jul 10, 2022

Hello! Thanks for reading and responding. Oh you’re absolutely right! This was more my satirical response to the Supreme Court’s recent declaration that women don’t have certain rights over their own bodies. I wondered what it would be like if there was a similar ruling over men’s bodies. 😻

Reply

Mike Panasitti
02:11 Jul 10, 2022

Understood. Everyone should be given the right over their own bodies, as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others'. It's unfortunate, however, that breaking the laws of hearts doesn't have legal implications. If it did, perhaps pickle jars would be a suitable intervention!

Reply

Sharon Hancock
02:23 Jul 10, 2022

😂😂yes! And none of us will ever look at pickle jars the same again.😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
10:43 Sep 04, 2022

I could see this getting some stick from trolls but they would be the same ones applauding if it was the other way around, which it sometimes is. Gives new meaning if someone gives their partner the pet name 'pickle'.

Reply

Sharon Hancock
15:01 Sep 09, 2022

😂😂yes! Thanks for reading and commenting!

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:57 Sep 09, 2022

You’re welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
BA Eubank
01:32 Jul 15, 2022

Did not see that coming! Love this!

Reply

Sharon Hancock
01:36 Jul 15, 2022

Thank you so much for reading and commenting!😻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
T.S.A. Maiven
01:20 Jul 15, 2022

Loved this one! you really did a great job!

Reply

Sharon Hancock
01:36 Jul 15, 2022

Thanks so much for reading and commenting!😻

Reply

T.S.A. Maiven
18:30 Jul 15, 2022

I'm going to read all your stories. I really enjoyed that one😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
08:42 Jul 14, 2022

You could almost categorize this as speculative too. Good job building a world with a set of systems in such a short time, and with so much humor and personality. Your dialogue was well worded; it moved the story a long but held the double meaning required to say something deeper. I liked many of your descriptions, such as this one: “an older lady with gray hair and a raspy, smoker’s hack” Thanks for sharing! :)

Reply

Sharon Hancock
01:13 Jul 15, 2022

Thanks so much for reading and commenting! 😻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim Firth
07:37 Jul 10, 2022

Sharon, You very skilfully had me guessing what the inheritance was right until the very end. I'm not up on current events or Twitter, so for me it just read as a surreal and absurdly humorous story, which is my favourite kind! :)

Reply

Sharon Hancock
00:54 Jul 11, 2022

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! Absurdity is my specialty 🤣 I’m glad you enjoyed it!😻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:38 Jul 10, 2022

The world needs to read this!

Reply

Sharon Hancock
00:55 Jul 11, 2022

Hello! Thank you for reading and commenting! 😻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.