82 comments

Friendship Sad

This story contains sensitive content

TW: This story contains mentions of death, and animal harm.

AN : To pronounce the name of the squirrel correctly, visit this site: https://pronouncenames.com/search?name=Serle

I did a lot of research regarding Italian names, squirrels and even went out on Google maps to find accurate locations for the setting of this story. If you want to see them, the parks mentioned here are in the city of Pompei (at least according to Google maps). You may message me for more information on the 'BTS' of this story.


---------------------------------------------------------------


This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is serles-saga-1.png

Serle was born in the tallest tree of Parco Del Real Polverificio borbonico (Royal Bourbon Polverificio Park). He was the only squirrel to be born in that round around the Sun to his parents, Luca and Gilda.

About twelve human Sundays later, Serle is ready to leave the nest. He runs ahead, looks back for a split second, thinking to go back to the best place he ever knew, his home, to his drey. But then the excitement got him and he walked on ahead, ready to take on the world. After Marco’s death last week, Serle knew that this world was vicious. He didn’t need any more friends, he was okay by himself.

He was still young and so, he decided to venture on beyond the park, leaving his universe behind. After a lot many days, Serle finally reached what the pigeons called Parco Wenner-Villa Comunale (Wenner-Villa Comunale Park) to the east side of his home park, near the city and the buildings. A few days into the move, when Serle had painstakingly taken the risks and found the sticks to make his drey, he decided to go on ahead and explore his new neighborhood.

He ran towards the north side of the park, making sure to dodge all the weird, noise making dogs and the haunting cats. He didn’t know how he crossed the road, but he finally reached an apartment complex, and decided to climb to the top. Just short of reaching the roof, he stopped. Something was wrong, he could feel it in his teeth.

He turned left, then right. He saw nothing, then he saw an old human, all wrinkly and without anybody else, in the house in front of him. He went in there, wanting to see a human first hand, so close. He had seen many humans in his short life, some in the Royal Park, some in his new home, but he had never seen one so close. He saw that the old human was wearing a loose fur, something that he had seen on a lot of the other humans, but their fur was tight, sometimes five layers thick, all different colour.

He ran up to the old human, and then looked at her intently. She was definitely in pain, he could feel it. Then he remembered one thing. His friend, Marco was sick one day, so his mother brought him an apricot from the huge steel stem near the entrance of the Royal Park. All humans did was put different things that they didn’t want in that stem and walked away. It appeared to Serle as if that stem never grew, and well, it was true. Because it was actually what the humans called a dustbin. Serle had seen one of them bins on the way to the top of the apartment. So, he ran back down, thinking all the time. Finally, he reached it and started rummaging through it. After a lot of efforts and almost running out of items to look through, Serle finally found an apple core, fresh and juicy, ready to be eaten.

Ignoring his own growling stomach, Serle went on with the core and climbed all those seven floors again, to reach to the old human. The window through which he had entered last time was open, so he went on in and tried to grab the attention of the old human. When he did get it, he brought out the apple core from the windowsill and gave it to the human. Unable to understand what he meant by it, the human shrugged, although with much difficulty.

Serle, understanding that the human did not understand him, opened up his mouth and took a bite from the core. Now, the human got to know that the squirrel in front of her wanted her to eat the apple. With this, the lady smiled and took the apple core. Obviously she wouldn’t eat it, but she was so touched by the animal’s gesture, that she felt a lot better. That pain in her back? Almost gone. And all because of a little sympathy from the squirrel.

After that day, Serle came to see the old lady every day. On some days he brought her a gift. Sometimes a fruit from the store downstairs and other days he just brought whatever he found useful from the stem-bin. It was so good, Serle never felt that he could have any more friends, after Marco. But he did and it was a human! The lady made him feel good. She fed him and gave him enough nuts to eat and store for winters. Sure there were some hiccups on the way. Like the other day when Serle got almost hit by a car, or when Bruno, the dog upstairs almost chased him up his tree, or the day he was almost eaten alive by the security guard’s cat.

Everything else aside, the old lady and the young squirrel, both liked the daily meetings. Days turned to weeks, and then to months. By now, Serle was a full grown adult and had even changed his drey to the tree near the lady’s windowsill. The lady however, was hurting. She was sick and had to visit the hospital often. Serle was often left alone at night, waiting for the lady to come back, even for days. On those days, Serle felt that the Sun’s heat stopped reaching his little nest and that the winds blew a lot harder, making it difficult for him to breathe properly at the height he lived in. Anyways, when the woman came back, generally, she was always better, at least for a few days.

Life was beautiful, life was fun and life was perfect. For both Serle and the old lady, whose name was apparently the same as Serle’s mother, Gilda.

Time passed and it was their second winter together, and the lady had been in the hospital for a few days. Serle was feeling sad and was cold. With every creak he heard, he ran up from his drey to the window, trying to look into and finding Gilda come back home, but he was disheartened every time. After a few more days, he almost gave up hope, since he himself was sick and hurting. His joints hurt, he was hungry and almost stiff. He didn’t believe this to be true, but he was dying a slow death.

Then, a new couple came in the door. Soon the lady’s stuff was taken over by a woman and a man, who looked seemingly similar to the lady. This was all okay for Serle, as he was barely opening his eyes and keeping up with the world. He was rather, very tired and very cold all the time now.

A few days after the young couple’s move, the wife saw something ‘like a rat’ out of the window in the guest room. She asked her husband to remove it. After he came back form the hospital, the man opened the windowsill and found a squirrel, rigid as a statue in a bed full of thorns. He took a broom and let the nest fall down, into the deep, dark pit of the night. As the squirrel took its last plunge into the darkness, somewhere across 

May 29, 2022 11:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

82 comments

00:53 Sep 08, 2022

Wow, this was great! I loved the perspective, and I love how the end is cut short, just like the squirrel's life. Interesting story!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
01:34 Sep 08, 2022

Thanks 😁

Reply

13:42 Sep 08, 2022

You're welcome! 😊😊😊😊 How have you been? How was your summer?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
14:13 Sep 08, 2022

I have been better, had a lot of work over the past few weeks. There was a lot of ORGANIZING to do related to school events as Head Girl. My summer was over before July started, Missa. It has been a LOOOOOONG time since that. Indian summers are different. How have you been? Did you enjoy YOUR summer? There are two (actually one) more stories waiting for you!

Reply

01:44 Sep 10, 2022

Oh, wow. Head Girl? That sounds important! Oh, no, no, no, that just isn't fair, now is it? Ahhhhhhhh, reminds me of Shuba's "Indian Summer". She's an Indian singer, and she's good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xQgqN4jfyY I've been good, and yes, I enjoyed my nice, long summer :D Ooh, I'll read them when I can, okay? <3

Reply

Dhwani Jain
11:55 Sep 10, 2022

Yeah. That IS important! =D I'll try to listen to this, I have seen Shuba's shorts

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:13 Aug 17, 2022

Hey! How have you been?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
01:33 Aug 18, 2022

Been okay, have a HUGE event today, like INTERNATIONAL level at my school

Reply

13:01 Aug 18, 2022

That is SO COOL! I wish you luck, if it's the sort of thing that invovles luck :>

Reply

Dhwani Jain
09:57 Aug 19, 2022

Yeah, it was, kinda. I became the newsreporter who interviewed A LOT of people....IMPROMPTU

Reply

12:07 Aug 19, 2022

I did something like that, once! I had to interview folks for a concert. It was really cold, LOL

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:45 Aug 20, 2022

Noice

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hope Linter
20:58 Jul 08, 2022

Hi Dhwani Jain. I finally figured out how to access your stories. A lovely compassionate tale. I liked that it took place in an Italian park -very creative. Not sure about the last sentence, but that is life, we drift off...

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:33 Jul 09, 2022

Hey! What do you mean you finally got access to my stories? Thanks for your feedback! =D

Reply

Hope Linter
19:56 Jul 10, 2022

I figured out if I press on your icon it directs me to your site, since I'm new and not the most computer literate I hadn't realized that. I had tried to look you up before to see if you're also submitting stories, but couldn't figure it out. Happy Writing

Reply

Dhwani Jain
01:48 Jul 11, 2022

Ah ..okay Yeah, you too

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
21:19 Jun 10, 2022

Interesting one! I like the perspective of the squirrel and how his life was. It seems a little bit rushed, like you really wanted the end to come, and well it did come. Kinda sad for both the lady and the squirrel. It’s very interesting to me that the lady and the squirrel’s mom had the same name. I guess it just shows their bond more naturally. And the fact that they understand each other entirely is amazing. Great job!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:15 Jun 11, 2022

Thanks a ton, Flow! Why do I always make the story rushed?! I am trying to improve on it, but don't know how to.... Yeah, it was intentional to keep the same name. Thanks for the review.....now where dat WB story?

Reply

TJ Squared
13:34 Jun 11, 2022

No problem :D Well, you can add more details, take a step back, make it last longer, etc. Interesting. Lol it actually out now :D Also, I added a new section to my bio if you wanna take a look :)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:26 Jun 12, 2022

XD I'll check both of them out rn!

Reply

TJ Squared
14:48 Jun 12, 2022

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:02 Jun 09, 2022

Hey! This was really sad, but I loved Serle's compassion to the old woman, Gilda. I've always thought a relationship between an animal and a human, who had nothing alike, but still understood compassion, would be fun to write, but never got around to it. I don't really have any critiques, except the beginning felt a little like a history book and less like a story about a squirrel... but I liked it all the same :)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
17:03 Jun 09, 2022

XD I hope the beginning didn't make you wanna close it? I get it, it was just a teensy bit factual...but it was all to set up the *mood* So, when will I read the animal-human compassion-friendship story from you?

Reply

17:10 Jun 09, 2022

I liked it, though! It was good! One I finish my incredibly cringey fanfiction :)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
05:48 Jun 10, 2022

=D Fanfic about?

Reply

12:37 Jun 10, 2022

She-Ra but Glimmer gets the sword and becomes the queen and She-Ra and Adora's just the goofy sidekick.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
14:41 Jun 10, 2022

I honestly don't know anything about her! 😅

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Great sad story! You wrote it very nicely. I like animal POVs. Is your new profile picture you?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
08:15 Jun 05, 2022

Thanks a ton, Guadalupe (how do you pronounce your name?) Yep, that's me. The pic is from a recent vacay I took

Reply

gwah-dah-loop-ay You are so pretty!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
04:51 Jun 06, 2022

Ok, I thought of it in my head as GUA (like in guava)-DAH (like in dada)-LOO (you know what that is)-PAY......so I was close Thanks a ton!!!! <3 (It's all in the photographer's (my cuz's) hands and the lighting... ;) )

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nicole Of 2022
15:55 Jun 02, 2022

YOU'RE ON VACATION???!!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:10 Jun 03, 2022

Yeah...what's so weird about it, your comment is in all caps?

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
16:11 Jun 03, 2022

Oh, nothing LOL I wanna be on vacationnnnnnnnnnn! BAHA nothing weird about it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ace Quinnton
20:40 May 31, 2022

Everyone SHUT UP: Squirrel. That's all I need to say. Just...squirrel. Animals can have an interesting view on life than humans, and if you have a deep bond with that animal, sometimes it feels like you adopt their natural instincts. I have a question for you though, what made you want to write a story from the perspective of a squirrel?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
12:46 Jun 01, 2022

Yeah, that's so true Well, I thought idk, it just came to me. I wanted to write a sad-ish story, so this was what I wrote..... Did you like the story?

Reply

Ace Quinnton
14:28 Jun 01, 2022

OF COURSE! Because s q u i r r e l. I mean, c'mon, it's really that simple. Animals are great, which immediately made the story great. Without it, the story is still great because YOU wrote it. You're amazing, and I, Ace Quinnton, wish you a good day/afternoon/evening.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
02:55 Jun 03, 2022

XD Thank you for hyping me up!!! Your comment is truly precious to me🥰🤩

Reply

Ace Quinnton
14:40 Jun 03, 2022

Hey, us writers need to stick together. Encourage each other and critique one another. I've been told that I am a rather precious person, therefore my charisma can charm anyone into determination. Like I did for you. So, you are very welcome. 😎

Reply

Dhwani Jain
17:58 Jun 03, 2022

XD Thanks a lot, Ace. I am sorry, but since i was on a vacation, i just replied to your messages and it went from there, but i don't think we've talked before. I'll be sure to read your stories soon. Let's start with introductions. I'm Dhwani Jain from India. Where are you from?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
17:58 Jun 03, 2022

XD Thanks a lot, Ace. I am sorry, but since i was on a vacation, i just replied to your messages and it went from there, but i don't think we've talked before. I'll be sure to read your stories soon. Let's start with introductions. I'm Dhwani Jain from India. Where are you from?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philia S
12:04 May 31, 2022

Hey! I'm here as promised. :) I loved this. Kind of reminded me of a story in our course this year. XD You portrayed their bond so nicely. The squirrel's loyalty makes me think--animals are indeed more faithful than human companions. The ending was beautifully heartbreaking--the old lady and the squirrel, both, even in their dying moments inter-connected to each other. Lovely! A small critique, I suggest you watch the tense. :D Hope you're well! -Philia

Reply

Dhwani Jain
12:45 Jun 01, 2022

XD Hi! Which story in your course? thanks a ton for this in-depth critique! I'll watch that tense with a squint of my eye! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nayonikaa Gupta
16:39 May 29, 2022

the story shows a brilliant interaction between humans and animals.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
16:43 May 29, 2022

Thank you so much, Nayonikaa! I appreciate that you took out your time and read it! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sapna Bali
16:23 May 29, 2022

Well written!!! Indeed the squirrel character is superbly portrayed!!! Diction 👌👌👌!!! Would love to read more from you!!!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
16:30 May 29, 2022

Thank you so much mam!! Surely, I'll send you more of my work soon!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
15:37 May 29, 2022

I love the characterization of the squirrel and the ending is so heartbreaking and you have cleverly portrayed the pain. Thanks for the recommendation :))

Reply

Dhwani Jain
15:41 May 29, 2022

Thanks a ton Palak! TBH, I wanted to enter it into the contest, but then I remembered that I am 16, and you literally can't win unless you are 18....so no point. Thank you for reading!!<3

Reply

Palak Shah
09:26 May 30, 2022

Yeah, I understand I would really like to enter my stories but it is the same case for me. No worries :))))

Reply

Dhwani Jain
14:34 May 30, 2022

XD =D

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
18:55 Jun 04, 2022

XDDDDDDD ik the painnnnnnnnnnn

Reply

Dhwani Jain
08:15 Jun 05, 2022

Hehe

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.