120 comments

Happy Kids

“Ready, Ida? One, two, three!” Louk and I grabbed each of fourteen-month-old Ida’s hands and lifted her off the ground, onto her feet. Ida stuck her right foot out but fell right away.

“Ow! Mama!” Ida rubbed her bottom, and Louk and I laughed. I crouched down and picked her up, putting her on my hip.

“We’ve been trying for an hour already. Let’s just try again tomorrow.” Louk rubbed his back from bending down so much, and I nodded in agreement. We plopped down on the couch and turned on the TV. I moved Ida to my lap, facing me.

“Do you want to walk, Ida?” I tickled her stomach, and she laughed.

“Yes, Mama. Food now?” Louk leaned over, took Ida from me, and walked into the kitchen with her. My body immediately relaxed, sinking into the couch. I grabbed the remote and switched the channel to my soap operas when I was so perfectly interrupted.

“Mama? Mama! MAMA!” I got up and rushed to the kitchen. Ida was sitting at the table with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich setting in front of her.

“Hey, no need to yell, munchkin. What’s wrong?” Louk shot me an annoyed glance, and I sighed.

“You can go golfing. I don’t care. I have this under control.” His face immediately lit up. He gave me a hug, a kiss on the head for Ida, and ran out the front door. I rolled my eyes and walked over to Ida.

“Now, what did you need, sweetie?” Ida poked her sandwich.

“Yucky. Yucky, yucky, yucky.” I laughed as Ida crossed her arms and shook her head. Separating the two pieces of bread, I realized the problem. Ida was a picky eater, and one thing that she wouldn’t eat was peanuts, even though she liked peanut butter. And mixed in with the peanut butter was small, chopped up peanuts.

“Ida, I’m sure Daddy didn’t mean to put peanuts on your sandwich. So, how about we have some fruit instead? Mama will eat your sandwich.” I picked up her plate and sat it down on the counter.

“Okay, Mama.”


---


“Amy. You have to get up. You slept through your alarm! Wake up!” I shook my wife, who was still sleeping in bed even though she should have been almost ready to walk out the door. “Amy! Wake. UP. It’s Monday. You’re late for work!” Amy jolted awake, and I raised my eyebrows.

“You seriously have to go, Amy. It’s already 8:00.” The moment she heard those words come out of my mouth, Amy jumped up from the bed and ran out the door. I could listen to her scolding herself under her breath. I silently thanked her for not yelling, as Ida was still sleeping.

After making sure that Amy was starting to get ready, I tip-toed into Ida’s room. She was sleeping peacefully, her stomach rising and falling. I put my hands on the edge of her crib and looked down at her. My little Ida was beautiful. Her eyelids fluttered open, and in a matter of minutes, she was wide awake and squirming all over.

“Daddy!” The smile taking over Ida’s face was contagious, and soon I was smiling as well. I reached down and picked her up. She reached out and attempted to pull my glasses off of my face, but I swatted her hand away and fixed them. 

“Hey, do you want to surprise Mama today?” Ida shrugged, and I knew that she would be on board. She was still a baby, after all.


---


I sighed as I clicked on my email and looked at my full inbox—about fifty emails, all from residents of the apartment building that I managed. Clicking on the first one, I moaned. The email was about the length of a book, and it was from one of the regular complainers-Margie Lonkfur. I had just finished reading it and was about to respond when my phone rang. Assuming that it was another complainer, I picked it up with an eye roll already forming. But when I answered, I was surprised to hear their voice.

“Amy! You need to get home as soon as possible. Something is happening with Ida. Hurry!” Louk’s worried voice made me panic, so I grabbed my purse and car keys and walked out of my office.

“I am on my way now, Louk. Be there in a couple of minutes.” With that, I hung up the phone and ran out into the parking lot and got into my car. I put the key into the ignition and started my car up. Going way over the speed limit, I started the five-minute drive home.


---


Ida looked up at me with another face-covering smile. My plan had worked perfectly. I had worked with Ida all morning, and I pulled off my worried voice on my phone call to Amy. Now Amy was on her way to get back home to see what was going on with Ida.

“Daddy, where Mama?” I laughed and picked Ida up, setting her down on my lap.

“Mama will be here in just a couple of minutes. For now, do you want to watch Pup Watch?” Ida flailed her arms happily, so I grabbed the remote and switched it to the cartoon channel.


---

Just seconds after I parked in the driveway, I was in the living room, surprised by what I was seeing. Louk was on the couch with Ida on his lap. Pup Watch was playing on the TV, and I wondered what the problem was.

“Louk! Why did you call me so frantic-sounding? You had me panicked. It doesn’t seem like anything’s wrong.” Louk looked up at me like he had just noticed I was there with a questioning look on his face.

“I never said that something was wrong; I just said that there was something happening with Ida. Do you want to show Mama what you can do now, Ida?” Ida nodded vigorously, and Louk smiled. I watched as Louk got up with Ida and stood with her hands in his on the area rug.

“Ready, Ida? 1. 2. 3!” Ida’s little leg kicked out in front of her, and it landed! Her left foot went next, and she had taken four steps before she fell. My heart swelled in excitement, and tears unwillingly rolled out of my eyes. But I had every right to cry; it was my baby’s first steps! After months and months of trying, my baby was finally walking.

“Oh, Ida! You did a great job! Thank you so much, Louk.” I kissed Louk on the cheek and picked up Ida.

“Hey, that’s what good dads do.” We all laughed before Ida squirmed away from me. Soon she was on the ground again and playing with her toys.

August 14, 2020 04:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

120 comments

Doubra Akika
15:56 Aug 18, 2020

I loved this! The story was so cute! I could feel the emotion as I read this! Something even as simple as learning to walk is definitely important. Loved how you took a different approach with the prompt! God bless you and stay safe!

Reply

16:05 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you so much, Doubra! Stay safe as well and God bless you!

Reply

Doubra Akika
16:11 Aug 18, 2020

Thanks! Whenever you're free, would you mind checking out my recent story?

Reply

16:36 Aug 18, 2020

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
10:51 Aug 18, 2020

Hi Brooke, this was so adorable! I love how you developed Ida's character and made me connected with the feelings and emotions in this story! Looking forward to more like this! PS - If you have time, could you check out my latest story? (Grandpa Laurence)? I'd be glad if you could leave feedback! :)

Reply

12:00 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you so much, Niveeidha! Of course!

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
12:51 Aug 18, 2020

Thanks! And no problem! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amogh Kasat
10:07 Aug 15, 2020

It's an amazing story P.S read my new story The Secret Mission Meeting

Reply

12:17 Aug 15, 2020

Thank you so much! Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
11:43 Aug 19, 2020

Liked the story a lot. Pls read my stories and do comment, like and follow. My stories are everyone deserves an another chance an the city of gold

Reply

14:19 Aug 19, 2020

Thank you so much, Hriday! Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:41 Sep 08, 2020

Brooke :D i have some good news! whenever the new prompts come out later i think i'm gonna try and add you and some other friends on here into a story :)

Reply

21:04 Sep 09, 2020

That sounds great! Thanks!

Reply

B. W.
21:10 Sep 09, 2020

No problem ^^ i'll make sure to tell you when its out. is there something you want to happen in it?

Reply

20:43 Sep 10, 2020

Nope, I want it all to come from your head! I'm excited to read it!

Reply

20:43 Sep 10, 2020

Re-reading that, it sounds really weird. Oops. Sorry.

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
20:45 Sep 10, 2020

Have i told ya about my spin off idea for my demi-god series?

Reply

20:46 Sep 10, 2020

Yes, and I do believe that with a little bit of building upon it, it could be magnificent.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Roshna Rusiniya
05:45 Aug 23, 2020

This was so sweet. Loved your take on the prompt!

Reply

13:28 Aug 23, 2020

Aw, thank you so much!

Reply

Roshna Rusiniya
13:41 Aug 23, 2020

You are welcome :) If you have time, have a look at mine too. Thanks :)

Reply

13:42 Aug 23, 2020

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rambling Beth
19:09 Aug 20, 2020

Aww, this was just lovely. :)

Reply

19:16 Aug 20, 2020

Thanks a ton, Rambling Beth!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Krishi Norris
15:16 Aug 20, 2020

Nice story! I was hooked until the very end! PS - Do you mind checking out a few of my stories? Thanks!

Reply

15:19 Aug 20, 2020

Thank you tons, Trinity! Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Blaauw
14:18 Aug 20, 2020

What a charming little story! I really enjoyed it. You’ve done something very interesting with the shifting perspectives here. I do wonder if perhaps maybe 3rd person would’ve worked better for the way you told it? FP gives a more personal, introspective angle, and it’s hard to do shifting FP in such a short story. Although having said that, you’ve done an excellent job with it. I like the way you build tension, leaving the reader expecting something drastic/terrible, which makes the heartwarming ending jump out. Overall, your language use i...

Reply

14:21 Aug 20, 2020

Thank you so very much, Jonathan! It means so much to me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Blaauw
14:18 Aug 20, 2020

What a charming little story! I really enjoyed it. You’ve done something very interesting with the shifting perspectives here. I do wonder if perhaps maybe 3rd person would’ve worked better for the way you told it? FP gives a more personal, introspective angle, and it’s hard to do shifting FP in such a short story. Although having said that, you’ve done an excellent job with it. I like the way you build tension, leaving the reader expecting something drastic/terrible, which makes the heartwarming ending jump out. Overall, your language use i...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Keerththan 😀
14:28 Aug 19, 2020

Beautiful story. The characterisation was amazing and I loved it. The emotions were conveyed beautifully. Great read, well written, Brooke. Keep writing...... Would you mind reading my new story “Secrets don’t remain buried” and share your views on it? Thank you.

Reply

16:22 Aug 19, 2020

Thank you so very much, Keerththan!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
18:33 Aug 17, 2020

This is such a cute story! I like the spin you took on it with something as simple as learning to walk- when I first read the prompt I immediately thought about a sport or something that you challenge yourself in as an older person. Another great story Brooke!

Reply

23:57 Aug 17, 2020

Thank you so much, Megan!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sue Catrama
18:07 Aug 16, 2020

Love the story, admire the dialog. I don’t know why, everything I write I never use dialog. God Bless

Reply

01:49 Aug 17, 2020

Thank you so much, Sue!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
17:43 Aug 16, 2020

Sweet, Brooke! I like your take on the prompt - I never would have thought of a baby learning to walk...and you bring the whole family into the struggle. I also thought you did a really nice job of bringing out the baby-ness of Ida with all the details you wove into the story. I loved it!

Reply

17:48 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you so much, Kristen!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
16:56 Aug 16, 2020

Aww, this was a really cute story! I really loved it! Great job!

Reply

17:23 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you so much, Avery!

Reply

Avery G.
17:31 Aug 16, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lee
19:29 Aug 15, 2020

Hey Brooke! First of all, I liked your story. From the characters to the storyline, it was good. I read it through first without a critical eye, and I saw a few things that I thought I would remember to suggest, and then I went back to find them, and i couldn't. There were a few little twerks - nothing major - a place here and there were a sentence could have been shortened or phrasing combined to ease the transition from each paragraph. But it was good! If you have time, would you check out some of my stories, like The Mistake, Big Dad...

Reply

16:46 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you so much, Rebecca! Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:04 Aug 15, 2020

Hey Brooke!!! I really liked the story. It was meaningful and interesting, but I have 2 suggestions... Firstly, I kinda think this was rushed. Thinking of your other detailed stories, this one has less detail. And also, it was kinda confusing how you kept changing perspectives. Don't get me wrong, that was a great idea. But maybe if you wrote Louk- before starting the paragraph it would be less complicated. -Nimrit

Reply

18:38 Aug 15, 2020

Thank you so very much! I totally understand where you are coming from, and I will be sure to work on it more.

Reply

19:30 Aug 16, 2020

Anytime Brooke 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Evelyn ⭐️
15:50 Aug 15, 2020

Hey Brooke! I am really sorry for not catching up on your stories lately. I love all of them! I just really haven't had a lot of time lately. I even deleted all my stories because I thought I wasn't going to write on Reedsy again. I am back though, and I am truly sorry!!!!!

Reply

18:39 Aug 15, 2020

What??? You should have kept them so more people can still enjoy! I am glad that you decided to stay! By the way, you should check out my new bio...

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
17:28 Aug 17, 2020

Omg! Thank you so much for the nice bio! Also I noticed you changed your profile picture! What is it?

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
19:01 Aug 17, 2020

Oh, I'm so stupid! Just re-read your bio and now I see it's your dog! SORRY!!!!!!!

Reply

23:58 Aug 17, 2020

You're so welcome! XD It's fine! Actually, Champ and Kiwi look pretty similar... I forget; is she pure-bred black lab or is she mixed with something?

Reply

Evelyn ⭐️
14:02 Aug 18, 2020

She's pure-bred. Also wanted to tell you, we might be getting another dog! Is Champ mixed with something?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Desiree :(
21:46 Aug 14, 2020

This was so cute!! I loved Ida's character! Honestly, I love all three characters! You did a good job of making them believable. I really enjoyed this story!

Reply

21:49 Aug 14, 2020

Thank you so much, Desiree!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
13:58 Aug 14, 2020

Aw, this was adorable! I loved how you kept switching perspectives. Wonderful job!

Reply

19:47 Aug 14, 2020

Thank you so much, Amany!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.