Twinkle Twinkle

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write about someone who purposefully causes a power outage.... view prompt

12 comments

Drama Mystery

As soon as the elevator doors opened, Jenny knew something was wrong with the girl. The man who was carrying her on his back nodded in polite greeting, face hidden under a baseball cap. Jenny moved closer to the wall, hugging herself in reflex. Her nose scrunched up at the reek of alcohol, the man's protruding belly on an otherwise lean, almost emaciated frame the sign of an unhealthy addiction.

As the doors closed, she stole a glance at the pair. Father and daughter, perhaps? The girl couldn't have been older than ten. Jenny couldn't see her face, buried in the nape of the man's neck, but a tiny, frail-looking hand was holding onto his shoulder, peeking out of the overhanging sleeves of a sweater four times her size. The man's arms were crossed behind his back, holding the girl up, baggy trousers hugging his sides and hanging limply, no shoes or feet in sight. Jenny's eyes widened as she realised what had spooked her: the girl's trousers didn't bend at the knees.

She raised her face and gasped, hand flat on her chest as she backed against the wall in fright, pinned by two deep-blue, vaguely amused eyes. Jenny slid down to the floor, catching her breath, and the man snickered.

"Sorry 'bout that, didn't mean to scare ya."

Jenny waved away the apology and threw her head back, gulping in air.

"It's my fault. I was staring."

"That you were, aye." He craned his neck to glance behind his shoulder, revealing two red-rimmed, equally blue eyes. "Wanna say hello to the lady?"

The weak twitching of a little finger was all the acknowledgment the girl gave, likely all she could muster.

"She's tired," explained the man. "Been a rough few days."

Jenny nodded and stood up, dusting off her skirt and tugging it back down to just above her knees. When she looked up, there were tears in the girl's eyes, and a look of pure longing on her face.

"How did it ha--? No, forgive me, it's none of my--"

"You're right, it ain't." But he was smiling.

"I just--" Jenny covered her eyes, unsure of what to say.

"Don't sweat it, darling. You'll be running around in your head forever looking for the right words."

The bell rang and the doors opened. The man threw Jenny a glance before exiting and winked.

"There ain't any."

#

Matt's throat tightened when those baby blue eyes peeked above the man's shoulder and pierced right through his heart.

"How old is she?" he asked, his voice cracking.

"Eight." A pause. "Yours?"

"Fourteen months," was Matt's slow reply, surprise all over his face. "How did you know?"

"Did some work here a year ago. Never seen a chap more excited to be a dad."

Recognition kicked in and Matt snapped his fingers in rapid succession, trying to match a name to a face and failing.

"Electrician guy... you recommended that song... works like magic, Penny sleeps like a log."

"Glad to hear." The man smiled. "We won't be long, I promise."

"It's been closed for days, there's stuff laying around and exposed wires, it's not safe!"

"I'm a handyman, I know how to be careful."

"Even so..." But another look of those eyes and he couldn't think of any good reasons to refuse. "Alright, but only a few minutes."

Matt lead the pair down the corridor to a taped-off area, an opaque curtain hiding the room behind. He held the plastic sheet up with his hand and the man ducked past it, Matt following suit. The three came to a halt in the sudden darkness.

"Follow me," said Matt, powering up his torch. Plastic and wood cracked under their shoes as they entered a vast salon, bright city lights whitening the space through a wall of ceiling-high windows, making Matt's torch redundant.

"It is a spectacular view, I'll admit. Can't get too close I'm afraid, we're on the 92nd floor and they haven't put the glass in yet, but--"

A loud bang had him turn so fast he lost his balance, his eyes scanning the room as he stumbled. He was alone.

#

With a gentle hand buried in her short blond hair, the man laid his daughter on the ground and removed his jumper to reveal a backpack strapped back to front. He crumpled the cloth up and placed it under the girl's head to cushion her against the hard stone of the roof. He opened the rucksack in haste and grabbed a thick wire, using it to clamp the lock of the door so nobody could reach them. He scrambled back to his daughter's side, horrified by the white puffs of air coming from her mouth and the rattling of her teeth. He rushed to take three blankets out and wrapped her tightly, holding her against his chest until she stopped shivering. He glanced at his watch--ten minutes to midnight.

The chocolate cupcake he had bought that morning was squashed to the side of the paper bag, courtesy of the weight of the blankets he had thoughtlessly piled on it. The girl breathed out a chuckle as her father peeled the brown layer off and tried to get the flattened cake to stand. It wobbled for a few seconds and toppled down onto the paper just as the man was about to stick a small candle on top. He hovered it for a second, taken aback by the sudden death of his plan, and then lifted the candle high, stabbing it--with one vicious motion and a war cry--to the side of the fallen cake, face to the sky and fist to his chest like a knight in shining armour, and the girl was sobbing in painful mirth as he rocked her gently.

"Woulda got a big one, but was pricey." The faint echo of footsteps reached them and he took his phone out. "I bet your mum will have a much nicer one for you tomorrow."

A delicate hand brushed his chin in reassurance as he lit the candle.

"I know you're too sick from the drugs so I'll wrap it back up later and you'll have it when you feel better. I just figured you woulda liked a wish."

He gazed up at the moonless night sky, the few stars drowned by the polluting light of the city sprawling far and wide below them. As the noise behind the bolted door intensified, the man opened a rudimental-looking app on his phone and ticked a few boxes to activate a button. He laid the phone next to him on the floor and started humming a song.

He knew the real world was waiting for him at the end of the night. The one where his little girl was fighting for her life against the disease that had already claimed her legs. Where he could only see her one weekend a month, on visits that were probably not going to be unsupervised anymore after this stunt, unless he could convince his ex-wife to have mercy. Where he'd lost his job and all the money he hadn't wasted on lawyers he had wasted on booze, and now he couldn't even afford to get his girl a cake. Where he was likely to go to jail if they discovered his responsibility in what was about to happen. But as he finished his tune and gazed into his daughter's teary eyes, tonight's fairy tale was all that mattered. His phone vibrated against the stone, the alarm he had set announcing midnight.

Nothing happened when he pressed the button and he held his girl tight in waiting, ignoring the pounding and the voices behind the door.

And then all was black, the city an ocean of darkness stretching in the distance. Fire alarms, honks and shouting rose from below and the pounding stopped as people's attention was diverted to other matters. The man sat on the floor, his daughter curled up beside him, and they looked at the sky where the stars had multiplied, now brighter than ever.

"Make a wish," the man said, holding the toppled cake up to his chest, the girl's mouth inches away. It took a few seconds for her to let out a strong enough blow to extinguish the flame, the sudden wind lending a helping hand.

He took the candle out and dropped the cake back in its paper bag as the pounding resumed, then laid down with his daughter in the star lit darkness. He clasped a tiny hand in his and held it over his heart, tears streaming down his face.

"Happy birthday, little one."

September 06, 2020 22:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Syeda Fatima
10:44 Sep 26, 2020

The conversation and the scenery, it felt so real... Immersed in that world with my feelings bouncing through the story on and off... my heart pounding already till the end. the last words were so heart-melting I couldn't stop myself read them thrice. excellent work Silvia, you are worth it! I would love it if you try my stories too

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zea Bowman
13:22 Sep 21, 2020

Wow! I loved reading this story; it was full of great descriptions and I loved the way you ended it. The words seemed to flow effortlessly together. Could you please come read some of my stories? Thanks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Caroline Mundy
18:27 Sep 17, 2020

This is a beautifully written story, Silvia. The only thing that wasn't clear to me (but perhaps it was to others) was that the little girl had lost her legs. It is obvious on second reading but describing the trousers as not bending at the knees made me think her legs were straight, perhaps paralysed and that her trousers were too long as with the oversized top. Its probably just my interpretation as, apart from this one detail, I thought you dealt with this story expertly and it is my favourite entry for this competition so far. Well done.

Reply

Silvia Bartolini
19:56 Sep 17, 2020

Thank you for the feedback. I agree it's confusing and it's completely my fault, I was uncomfortable with the subject, which is why I left most of the narration up to third parties uninvolved with the characters. The idea is she had very aggressive bone cancer and her legs were amputated to prevent further spreading, but it's come back anyway. Because I wanted to tell a fairy tale I was afraid of dwelling on it too much. In hindsight I should have tackled the issue head on and will next time, my writing skills just weren't good enough this t...

Reply

Caroline Mundy
08:51 Sep 18, 2020

Hi Silvia. I totally disagree that your writing skills weren't up to it; in fact, I found it very well crafted and of a higher standard than other stories I've read. Please don't take my feedback as negative as it was intended to be constructive. Many people will have understood what you meant and I certainly did on second reading. It would only take a slight tweak for this to make perfect sense even to those slow on the uptake like me. :) I enjoyed it very much and thought it brave to tackle such a difficult topic with so many other threads...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ann Niece
14:41 Sep 16, 2020

The story had me wondering what exactly the relationship was between the father and his daughter, and it came together very simply and sadly at the end. Well done!

Reply

Silvia Bartolini
19:44 Sep 17, 2020

Thank you so much, I was afraid to go too heavy on the detail at the beginning, I'm glad you found it paid off. Information balance is something I struggle with sometimes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrew Krey
11:27 Sep 16, 2020

Hi Silvia, I read your story and loved the ending. As a stargazer myself I can imagine the power of the gesture for his daughter. It's a brilliant take on the prompt. Despite the tough subject matter, you really create a heartwarming story. I especially liked the fact the father acknowledges the seriousness of the consequences of his actions, but does it anyway. It's a great way to tell the story, but also his love and dedication to his daughter. I also liked the hint of telling the story he's an electrician. Great story, and I hope ...

Reply

Silvia Bartolini
19:42 Sep 17, 2020

The hint you mention was me trying to reverse engineer and explain the father's plan without too much exposition, I'm relieved it seems to have worked. Thank you for the feedback, greatly appreciated.

Reply

Andrew Krey
20:06 Sep 17, 2020

Yeah it worked really well; initially I thought it just justified gaining access to the building, then as the story developed I understood it was also the means for him to be able to gift his daughter the stars. You found a good balance with subtly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ariadne .
03:23 Sep 15, 2020

Aww, this is simply beautiful. The love the father feels for his daughter is evident in every aspect of this story. I almost felt his sorrow and happiness as I read the story. Great work! Please check out my story - I would be so grateful! Thanks! :)

Reply

Silvia Bartolini
19:40 Sep 17, 2020

Thank you very much, glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.