Contest #177 winner 🏆

136 comments

Fiction Funny

Note: brief reference to ableist language

Rachel stood at the kitchen sink watching the snow fall softly over the back yard, muffling the world in its white overcoat. She wanted to wrap her mind up the same snug way, but in the living room, her husband was watching some show where commentators loudly traded barbs and lobbed insults at each other. The noise was incessant. Oh! The noise, noise, noise, noise! she thought, visualizing herself poised on a snowy crag, ear cocked to the Whos down in Whoville below, except these were clamorous and opinionated Whos. I’m on your side, Mr. Grinch, she decided, and reached up to turn off her hearing aids. The soft silence outside the window was suddenly complemented by a similar hush within her own head. Ah, much better.


“Did you hear that?” As if on cue, her husband was bellowing for her attention. 


Rachel sighed. “Hear what?”


“That guy running for office. He’s a complete idiot.”


Without her hearing aids, Rachel could just hear the skeleton of sentences, mostly vowel sounds with mushy consonants failing to knit them together into meaning, requiring a bit of guess work to decode. It was like wearing a sweater in her ears which is why she had broken down finally and invested in the hearing aids. There were times, though, when she wasn’t all that sure she wanted to hear so much of what was going on in the world. Still, she felt compelled to answer, raising her voice to be heard over his show. “Who?”


“That yahoo running for office with the weird tan. They should call him Colonel Mustard.”


Rachel sucked in her breath upon hearing her husband call somebody, anybody, a “retard.” She didn’t even like to think the word, let alone hear her husband bellowing it from the other room for all the neighbors to hear. “Don’t call people that word.”


“What word?”


“You know, that word. It is totally inappropriate.”


Frank was used to his wife’s often creative interpretations of the world around her and was inclined to take liberties in translation. “I’ll say he’s inappropriate,” he agreed heartily, delighted she was taking a position. She generally didn’t pay enough attention to world events, burrowing down instead into the cocoon of a comfortably retired life.


“Then why did you say it?” she called out.


“Say what?”


“That word.”


“What word?”


“Well, I can’t say it,” Rachel shouted over the noise. “We don’t talk like that about people with…you know…mental disabilities.”


“Mental disabilities?” Frank was surprised. For her to call the candidate mentally disabled was pretty strong. She was usually so polite, so darned politically neutral. About time she saw things my way, he thought approvingly. “Ha! He has no ability, that’s the problem,” he chuckled.


Rachel drew in her breath. What was wrong with the man? First using the ‘R’ word to describe someone, then being so cruel as to suggest that people who are differently abled have no abilities at all! Sometimes, she just didn’t know what to make of the man. “Frank! That is terrible! We all have something to contribute.”


“Over my dead body!” Was his wife insane? First calling the man mentally disabled, then wanting to contribute to his candidacy? It was that kind of lunatic inconsistency that got the country where it was in the first place! He turned up the volume on the tv to make his feelings clear, shouting a final, “We are not contributing a penny to his campaign.”


Unbelievably, Rachel did not take the hint, calling out, “No I don’t think we have any. What do you want champaign for anyway?”


“What on earth makes you think I’d support his campaign?”


“Frank, it’s really just for special occasions.”


“Right. He was charged with tax evasion. And cooking the books.”


“I don’t know. I was thinking of fish. You could have some white wine with that.”


Frank paused. White wine? Why would she be offering him wine at 4:00 in the afternoon? He gave it a thought. She must have said she was sick of the hearing the right whine. “I totally agree. Though the left could do with a little less complaining too.”


“I’m not complaining!”


“I didn’t say you were! I said the left was.”


“No, it isn’t leftovers. I just got the cod last night.”


Frank took a longer moment to process this. She just talked to God last night? His wife wasn’t exactly a Bible thumper, nor did she seem likely to suddenly see the light, so to speak. He decided he needed clarity. “You talked to who?”


“I ought to what?” Rachel was beginning to sound testy.


Frank drew a deep breath. “I said I was wondering who you talked to.”


“I saw Bette Jean, of course, and that nice lady who works the cash register. Why?”


Frank tried to work these names into a tapestry of sense in his mind and came up empty. He decided to let it go. You live with someone long enough, and really, you couldn’t sweat the details. He returned his full attention to the commentators on the tv who were having a field day raking the candidate over the coals about something he had done 30 years earlier. With well over thirty years to his own name, he felt his sympathies fall to the candidate on this one. “Really, people ought to just let the past lie.”


He didn’t realize he had spoken aloud into a momentary lull in the volume of the show. He definitely realized he had spoken aloud as soon as Rachel’s retort shot out of the kitchen in a dangerous sniper attack. “Frank! Why on earth would you accuse me of lying about talking to Bette Jean and the cashier?”


“I wasn’t, honey! I was talking about how people ought to just let the past lie. Not you. You are the soul of honesty.” He pitched his praise to a hearty bellow to ensure she heard him. 


The silence that followed suggested whatever danger had been brewing in the kitchen might be simmering down. But feeling confident, he overstepped, adding, “Not like this moron.”


Rachel sighed to herself. Frank is getting cantankerous in his old age, she mused. They say old men do get grouchy. “That’s not a nice word either. You shouldn’t use slurs like that.”


“Oh, I’m sure about it.”


“Sure about what? Using disrespectful language?” Rachel’s voice was tilting back into the danger zone. He could practically hear her reloading to return fire.


“No, that he is an idiot!”


“Who?”


“The idiot running for office. Colonel Mustard.”


Rachel slammed her hand down on the sink in irritation. She crossed the kitchen to stand in the doorway where she could see her husband ensconced in his Barcalounger, the tv ratcheted up with two anchors jabbering their opinions at each other like deranged squirrels fighting over a nut. “Frank, again, that is unacceptable. And after all the work you did with sweet little Sammi next door with his special needs, I wouldn’t have thought you felt that way.”


“What’s Sammi got to do with it?”


“It’s true he’s a bit slow, has trouble, but you don’t call him a…well, names.”


Frank turned to favor his wife with a puzzled glance. “Well, Sammi’s not running for re-election, Rach.”


“Frank! Sammi does not run around with an erec—”


“—and anyway, I call it like I see it and that man is just—”


“— what man?”


“Colonel Mustard!”


“Ohmyheavens!” Rachel threw her hands in the air as if to protect herself from the grenade her husband had just lobbed into the living room. “You say that word one more time in this house and…well, I just don’t know. I had no idea you were such a bigot.”


Frank turned all the way around in the chair to better assess what bug his wife had in her ear. The air in the living room had become decidedly frosty, with plumes of righteous indignation radiating from her sturdy frame. Still, a man has to defend himself. “Bigot? What, against mustard? It’s ketchup I don’t like.”


“You betcha I don’t like it.” Finally, her husband was grasping her central complaint here, Rachel thought. About time.


“I thought you liked ketchup.” Frank had the distinct impression the conversation had leapt the tracks, but what with the commentators’ laughter rising and swelling in an auditory tide of noise in the background, he wasn’t sure where the derailment had occurred. Damn it. He should probably turn down the volume. What the heck had he done with the remote?


“Why are we talking about ketchup?” Really, not only cranky, but Frank might just be getting a little senile, Rachel thought.  It was worrying.


“Don’t tell me to catch up.” Frank’s voice took on an edge, slicing up from behind the recliner where he was pawing about between the cushions like a dog burying a bone. He’d about had it with her correcting tone. “You’re the one who started talking about condiments.”


Rachel snorted. “As if we need condoms at our age.”


“Stop with all the heart health worry, all right? Just because of a little too much salt, suddenly we can’t have any condiments. They inject the food with taste.”


“Damn skippy sex improves with age,” was his wife's inexplicable rejoinder. Frank stopped searching for the remote to stare at her over the back of the recliner. He wasn’t sure what had redirected her down this new line of thought, but a man shouldn’t stand in the way of progress.


“I’m glad you think so.” Was it him, or was the air in the room becoming warmer? He cautiously probed the emotional temperature for any jagged edges of lingering outrage. Finding none, he added, “I just don't have a clue how we got here.”


“Hear what?”



December 22, 2022 20:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

136 comments

Ken Cartisano
07:05 Jan 24, 2024

Sorry Laurel, I didn't like it. Too realistic. It's possible that I couldn't get into it because my wife was bantering with her son about places we had been to, while forgetting one important element about each place. One unforgettable factoid or aspect, like its location, its name, its significance, or who we were with. SOMETHING. (Honestly, she can SEE that I'm reading. She just doesn't care.) Still... this story did not hit it with me, it has nothing to do with how annoying she's being. (It's her turn to annoy me, anyway, so... you know...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
14:11 Jan 24, 2024

What a great post. Honesty, I think you could make a story out of this, just saying. It's the only thing I've read on reedsy for awhile because I found it was taking a lot of time reading and writing feedback and not doing my own writing, so I have selfishly pulled back to try to develop the ability to write well, whatever that is. And for thinking about the kinds of things you mention in your post. What is string theory and why can't I understand it? Why aren't we able to respond to problems we know are coming? Does this country really car...

Reply

Ken Cartisano
17:04 Jan 24, 2024

If I may be so bold, why are you writing in an unheated room? (This, from a guy who goes out to the unheated workshop in freezing weather to have a smoke.) People reposting your stories without giving credit is disturbing, because you're such a talented writer. I think you should rightfully feel annoyed at not getting credit for what you've written. It's only natural. The real and more valid question is, what can we do about it? Or even, what can you do about it? Or what can a concerted effort be done to prevent it? It is, indeed, something...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
12:57 Jan 25, 2024

We heat with wood heat and it's just easier to keep the central room warm and not the bedrooms. Usually, not a problem; I like cold rooms for sleeping, even down into the 40s. But for some reason, when I'm awake, it's got to be more like in the 60s. Makes no sense to me, and it's not like I couldn't open the door and eventually warm up the room. Must be my thrifty upbringing. Since I grew up in India, none of that makes any sense at all, but I really hate hot weather. What a long-winded answer. On a more meaningful point, the thing about r...

Reply

Ken Cartisano
21:21 Jan 25, 2024

Hi Laurel, I unintentionally failed to attend to some of your comments in our conversation, and wanted to follow up on them. But first I wanted to say that -- if you're comfortable with the cold, where you are, then I'm happy for you. (You're just a little weird. Join the club. I'm the President of Weird.) As far as controlling your ownership, I sympathize, but shoot, I'd be tickled if people stole my--no, I take that back. I guess I can't even imagine people wanting to hi-jack my stories. Without giving me credit. I'm not sure I would kno...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
13:09 Jan 26, 2024

Thanks for sharing some other names. I'd already found Halsall. I'll look for Logue. As far as the ownership of the stories, I totally agree. On the one hand, very keen that anyone reads them, on the other, uncertain about how much I might want to publish in the future and so control the destiny of those stories. I do not currently write to publish but haven't shut the door on that. I realize I might have made it sound like I have a physical limitation in regard to writing - not the case. It's more not knowing whether I can write. I've alw...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rita Sanchez
19:10 Mar 15, 2023

Lol really enjoyed reading this. I need a little humor like this makes you put on a smile.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
10:07 Mar 16, 2023

Glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrew Fruchtman
18:44 Mar 13, 2023

Just saw this and so glad I did. Laugh out loud funny. Assault with no batteries.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
19:20 Mar 13, 2023

Ha! Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:49 Jan 24, 2023

HAHAHHA im laughing out loud

Reply

Laurel Hanson
18:24 Jan 24, 2023

So glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jordan Sarf
01:33 Jan 24, 2023

Hi Laurel, I absolutely LOVED this! I was laughing more and more as the conversation escalated! I'm a film producer from NYC and would love to discuss the idea of bringing this story to life as a short! If interested, feel free to email me at jordans@ineffable-pictures.com Best, Jordan Sarf

Reply

Laurel Hanson
16:13 Jan 26, 2023

I emailed you a reply directly. If still interested and if you did not receive my email. just let me know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:50 Jan 22, 2023

Oh, my goodness! This story was hilarious. I was crying from laughter. Great sense of humor, and terrific writing. Loved it.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
11:56 Jan 22, 2023

Thank-you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shahzad Ahmad
14:23 Jul 18, 2023

Laurel your story conveys the message in such a light hearted but heart warming way. The dialogue exchange is so gripping and extends the banter well. A well deserved win!

Reply

Laurel Hanson
14:25 Jul 18, 2023

Thank-you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Geir Westrul
17:40 Apr 09, 2023

That was hilarious, and the way you pulled it off made it much more than a "who's on first act" because you expertly wove in politics, political correctness, and the human condition of living with someone for a lifetime and still not communicating. Bravo!

Reply

Laurel Hanson
21:23 Apr 09, 2023

Thank you so much! I appreciate the thoughtful comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
R. S. Writes
12:16 Apr 06, 2023

This was a fantastic read. Loving all the misunderstandings and clever dialogue.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
19:01 Apr 06, 2023

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jody S
00:44 Apr 01, 2023

I needed a good laugh today! Thank you! So true to life!!

Reply

Laurel Hanson
11:10 Apr 01, 2023

Thank-you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
11:30 Mar 21, 2023

She should definitely put her hearing aid back in. The misinterpretations are hilarious but it also seems like she’s expecting certain words from her husband if she keeps hearing them.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
16:58 Mar 21, 2023

As a hearing impaired individual who wears hearing aids, I regret that is exactly what happens, at least for me. I won't wear them for a variety of reasons and then base what I do hear on expectations of what I think I will hear. It's very frustrating to my husband. And it is super rude of me, so not proud of it, but I agree with the premise that she should put them back in.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jer McGee
20:31 Mar 12, 2023

Oh my gosh. I laughed out loud throughout this story. You are gifted!

Reply

Laurel Hanson
21:32 Mar 12, 2023

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jane Andrews
23:13 Feb 17, 2023

Laurel, I loved this - brilliantly clever use of misheard snippets of conversation and I love the way that both of them are cluless as to what's going on. As someone who's prone to mishearing things myself, I really appreciated this. (My classic mishear happened about twelve years ago when my husband and I were discussing our son's scout camp. Me: And they make them chop their own firewood and cook their own food. Husband: Are they going to torture him? Me (horrified): Why would they do that? Husband (loudly): I said, Have you got a torch fo...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
23:28 Feb 17, 2023

That's hilarious. And very much what goes on in our household! Mishear is a polite way to express how bad my hearing is, which leads to much confusion. Let alone what I do to the lyrics of songs.....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Antonio Pino
14:44 Feb 17, 2023

What inspired the idea of this story?

Reply

Laurel Hanson
15:00 Feb 17, 2023

The prompt was about two people not communicating. As I am hard of hearing, and my husband is not, but often runs the tv at the same time as we are attempting to discuss things - which is hard for the hard of hearing to filter - I simply wrote from experience. With the exception that what they are saying is not the kind of thing we say, just the misunderstandings.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Antonio Pino
14:42 Feb 17, 2023

I was looking for a funny story, and instead I found an absolute comical one that my day, great work!

Reply

Laurel Hanson
14:59 Feb 17, 2023

Thank-you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:57 Feb 15, 2023

Hi Laurel, just read this today. As a 50+ woman living with a hubby of 75 yrs, it sounded very familiar, especially the t.v. blaring in the background. Congratulations on the win!

Reply

Laurel Hanson
19:42 Feb 15, 2023

Thank-you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Justin Hyatt
20:29 Feb 13, 2023

I was sitting on the NYC subway reading this one just damn-near cackling. Incredible writing, fantastic sense of humor, and a masterpiece on the comedic front. Truly captured and shared the essence of this hilarious conversation.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
23:19 Feb 13, 2023

Oh, what lovely feedback! Thank-you. Glad your subway trip could be made a little more enjoyable.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Autumn Ozolins
19:52 Feb 12, 2023

I loved this story! It was such a creative way to show the rifts politics create in relationships. I loved how you used indirect characterization so much. It was really cool how you showed two types of poor communication: emotionally and physically!

Reply

Laurel Hanson
20:08 Feb 12, 2023

Wow! I appreciate this clear and specific feedback. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Autumn Dixon
04:03 Jan 25, 2023

Nice story! Got a little weird for me since I am young, but I enjoyed it! Would you please read my story? It's called Geography Watcher! It has crime, horror, and mystery! If you find it please comment on it! Greatly appreciated! Again, love the story read it in a couple of minutes! Very funny!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Joe Lynch
10:05 Jan 19, 2023

Very well done...very comical!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.