Leaving you

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story about someone feeling powerless.... view prompt

103 comments

Drama

The air was cold, a sign of the bleak seasons to come. The wind had a chill to it, one that passed through my thin autumn jacket, exposing me, leaving me cold with the bitter taste of vulnerability on my tongue. The jacket was an old one, one my dad had purchased for a long forgotten birthday years past. I clung to it, clinging to the sense of normality and comfort that it provided. It was a folly. Nothing brought me comfort these days. The hyperventilating breaths of frosty air, and the fresh tears making their way down my face were barely an indicator for the turmoil I felt inside. 

It happened too fast; almost as if i blinked, and everything i had before was overturned, disrupted, and never to be the same. I sat down on the rotting corpse of what was left of a bench, wincing at the acute pain from the splinters poking through the back of my jacket, digging into my soft flesh. I sag into the wood, the reality sinking in, this was it. I was really alone this time. I reach into my pocket, pulling out a pack of cigarettes. I feel the texture of the box in an attempt to ground myself. Slowly, I pull out a cigarette, reaching into my pocket again for the lighter. As I strike the lighter, the bright yellow-orange flame engulfs the end of the tobacco, turning it to a soft orange glow of embers. I methodically inhale to feel the acute discomfort for which I have longed. Eventually, I exhale. It’s hard to say why or when I started this toxic habit, the irony of it is almost laughable. Here I am, smoking a cigarette, doing the one thing that took his spirit, his last breath. 

I suppose it began with me sitting down with a friend. I was distraught and unable to calm down, not unusual for me these days. I asked her for advice, yet the little information she gave did not satisfy my need for closure. Finally, after about a half hour of this, she pulled a pack of cigs out of her back pocket of the side of her jeans closest to me. Then pulled one out, lighting and taking a drag. I watched her for some time before she offered me one. At that moment, I wasn't sure what came over me; except that I just didn’t care anymore. I needed to feel. I slowly took the cigarette out of her hand, feeling almost a sense of remorse for the damage I knew I was about to do. Yet, that was merely a transient feeling, overshadowed by the need to feel, the need for this numbness to go away. It did, even if only for a little while.  

It was getting colder and I could feel the wind begin to drop in temperature. I welcomed the cold temperatures, knowing that none of it mattered. I was untouchable. I had nothing left to lose. I remember the exact day that began this downward spiral. This manipulation of my emotions from an unseen cause I couldn't fix. It was simple. My dad was scheduled to have his appointment at the hospital for his bronchitis followup and then we were to go out to lunch. He was originally supposed to meet me at the diner, but plans changed. Everything changed. 

10:11 am. He should be back by now, it was bronchitis. It wasn’t usual for an appointment like this to take hours and it certainly wasn’t like him to miss several calls. I sighed, attempting to quell my growing concern. It was well into the afternoon, long past lunchtime. I sat down by the window, pressing myself against the glass. The rain was pouring down heavily in sheets. It was so loud against the roof, you almost missed the thunderous clouds booming above. The roads were covered with rain water and nearly every car that passed by my apartment hydroplaned. I stood up after a few more minutes and began to pace along the floor. It was a hardwood floor, cold against my feet, and it sent a chill through my body. The decor was cheap. Living in the city was much more expensive than I had previously anticipated.  Most of the furniture was used, the couch had been free from a yardsale. It seemed mismatched by anyone else’s standards, but to me it was home.  

It took another half an hour before I heard keys jingle at the door. It took all of my newfound adult self-control not to pounce on my dad. I settled on giving him a quick hug before pulling away to take a good look at him. He looked exhausted. There were dark circles under his eyes, and he looked at his wits end. For a second, I stood with my mouth agape, not quite sure what to say. I had never seen my dad this frazzled before and it scared me. That wasn’t half as bad as when he opened his mouth. The word he spoke acting as a poison, flowing from his mouth and attacking my brain. Never would I have associated this word with my father. I couldn’t think of anything to say. I couldn't even think. My dad, my rock, couldn't have Cancer. 

My dad and I had always been close, ever since my mom died when  I was 7. I don't remember her much. The only constant in my life has been my dad. He came to every school award ceremony, was always cheering me on at every softball game, helped me with my homework, and was there the entire time helping me get into the university of my choice. He made sure I never needed a thing. He was always there for me, and I suppose his unwavering support was something I took for granted. I never thought of the fact that it might not always be there. That he might not always be there. 

It was hard at first, getting used to the chemo, the sickness, how frail he had become. It was hard watching him on oxygen, barely able to talk, and too weak to move. I tried to stay strong for him. I tried to be there. For the first while, I spent every day with him in the hospital that I could, always crying myself to sleep. Unconsciously and unintentionally, I began to distance myself from him. I couldn’t watch him go through this. I couldn't be that person. I realized this when his beautiful brown hair started coming out in clumps. He was too young to be bald. 56 is too young to be bald. It’s too soon. It’s too soon for him to die. I suppose that's the point though. Life was never fair. You just have to make the best of what you have before it’s too late. 

Eventually, when my dad became less aware, I stopped visiting. I couldn’t take the sickness, the confusion. I couldn't watch him slowly deteriorate and die an agonizingly slow death. I knew I should be there for him and that if it was me in there, he would never have left my side. The guilt was tearing me apart, eating me alive. I just couldn’t go back. I needed a distraction, so I threw myself into work with a fervor like never before. My co-workers tried to lessen my work load, they made me food, invited me out to dinner with them, yet I would never accept. Why should I be happy? What did I have to be happy about? I felt powerless. I would die for my dad in a heartbeat. Yet this was something I couldn't fix, something that I couldn't save him from. I still remember the last visit I had with him. I remembered the last words he spoke to me forever burned into my psyche. 

We had been bickering all day, and tensions were only rising. My dad knew what I was doing, and I had never seen him that angry before. Watching him grow sicker and sicker had only strengthened my unconscious resolve that I couldn't be around. Watching him lean on a nurse for help to his bed after another chemo round, it made me sick to my stomach. I began to gather my stuff from the various places around the room, tears slipping down my nose, into my mouth, their saltiness making me wince. Looking sadly at me, my dad asked hesitantly, almost as if the answer I would supply was going to disappoint him, as if I was going to make him cry:

“Where are you going?” 

The question didn’t phase me, it only made it harder for me to hold in the sobs. I turned around, looking him in the eyes, and only saw sadness. When a single tear fell down his cheek, it took all I had not to scream. I refused to turn back around, not acknowledging a word spoken to me. I picked up my bag, and without looking behind me, I left. However, not before i caught my father’s parting thoughts:

    “You’ve made this a life well lived. No matter what they say, this is the hardest part.”

The words were spoken so softly and with such devastation I almost didn’t catch them. It wasn’t until years later that I realized he meant saying goodbye to me.

    It had been weeks since I had even last heard from the hospital, and I pretended it was a good thing, even though the growing pit in my stomach told me it was anything but. I was sitting at my desk when my boss pulled me aside, asking me to step into his office. I could feel that something was wrong, yet I did not know what. Was I getting fired? He stayed silent for a few moments, before clearing his throat. I was not prepared for what he was about to say. He told me it was my dad, that it was critical. He told me at some point i could have off some time, but by that point i was gathering my stuff, and barely heard a word he said. 

    I broke nearly every speed limit on my way to the hospital, then waited in the waiting room for nearly an hour to get the chance to speak with my father’s doctor, hoping he might assuage my concerns. The doctor did anything but. He was unconscious, and on life support. He was dying. I choked on my breath, and as soon as I was done talking to the doctor, walked directly out of the hospital. It’s been nearly 20 minutes now, and i know it’s time to say goodbye. I waited too long. It was too late to fix this, but he at least deserved a goodbye. My rock, my protector, my best friend, and my dad. 

    Shivering, I got up from the bench, not even bothering to stretch. What was the point? I was alone now, alone and powerless to fix my mistakes. I waited too long, and now I can never tell my dad I loved him. I can only hope he knows. He’ll be with mom now. I walk through the automatic doors, scuffing my shoes on the dirty tile floor of the waiting room. I wait in line for the elevator, trying to ignore the woman standing next to me attempting to make polite conversation. I just cannot bear to contain my grief. I wait until I hear the ding for my floor, then exit the elevator. I walk to his room, knowing this is it. This is my final goodbye. I slip into his room, and sit on the hard plastic chair next to his bedside. I grab his hand, feeling how cold and limp it is already. There are a million things I wish I could say to him, but nothing fits. Nothing makes sense. Nothing i could say could possibly describe how sorry i am. Nothing can even begin to describe how much I love him. I sit there for a long time just holding his hand, staring at his face. 

    I gently kiss his hand, before laying it back on the hospital bed. I lean back into the hard plastic chair for a few moments, before finally standing up. I lean down next to his ear and whisper my final words to him. 

    “I love you daddy” 

September 12, 2020 02:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

103 comments

Vanessa Marczan
21:38 Sep 17, 2020

Paige, this is a beautiful and sorrowful story. I was struck by the way you established the tone so immediately, and maintained it throughout. I look forward to reading more of your work, thank you for sharing.

Reply

Paige Mackey
11:49 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you so much!! I greatly appreciate that. Thank you for reading!!❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hope Reynolds
00:42 Oct 05, 2020

Most definitely. The heaviness.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Megan Sutherland
00:04 Sep 18, 2020

So sad! 😪😪 Very good though, I really liked this!

Reply

Paige Mackey
11:50 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you so much!! That really means a lot❤️

Reply

Megan Sutherland
22:14 Sep 18, 2020

Of course!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Andrew Krey
20:33 Sep 17, 2020

Hi Paige, this is a very powerful story. I like her inner conflict...she knows what she has to do, she wants to do it, but she just doesn't have the strength to as she's used to her father being the rock. It makes the story even more heartbreaking, as we know her inability to do it will forever haunt her. I liked the way the story jumped through the time line, but I'm not a big fan of of large chunks of text in italics, but I don't feel it detracts from the story telling in anyway. Overall great story, and I hope the feedback was use...

Reply

Paige Mackey
20:39 Sep 17, 2020

Thank you very much!!! I really appreciate the feedback!!❤️

Reply

Andrew Krey
21:13 Sep 17, 2020

You're welcome Paige :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zainab Shahid
20:02 Sep 17, 2020

Wow, A marvelous story loved your writing style.

Reply

Paige Mackey
20:39 Sep 17, 2020

Thank you!!!!❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:59 Sep 17, 2020

Well the two of them actually haven't met yet but they will really soon, do you wanna know how the two would act with each other or their full personalities?

Reply

Paige Mackey
19:06 Sep 17, 2020

Absolutely!

Reply

B. W.
19:09 Sep 17, 2020

Harlow is kind of nervous and scared while she's in the new dimension because she doesn't know what could happen but she's really calm when she's with Willow, that's kind of the basic thing i guess? at least most of it or whatever. Willow has always been there so she's basically calm when she's there she's kind of brave as well i guess? and she likes being with Harlow, this is probably bad but i hope it helps

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Paige Mackey
20:44 Sep 17, 2020

What kind of flaws do they have? Anything tragic? Is there anything that could draw them together but also be the thing that could tear them apart? Probably sounds stupid, I just like the idea of a dramatic love story haha let me know what your idea is??

Reply

B. W.
20:53 Sep 17, 2020

i dunno- i've never really had a tragic one before, i guess i just want a normal one though. the thing that could tear them apart i guess is Alter Harlow cuz she wants to kill them or that Willow Physically cannot go with Harlow to her dimension

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Len Mooring
08:11 Nov 15, 2020

A wonderfully told story Paige. Although at the time my wife was in a Hospice facility, I had to be told two days before she died that she was dying. The reality, although obvious from my viewpoint now she was close to death was not real. I heard an Australian artist commenting about the portraits of successful business men he painted and when the wives see the finished picture break down with not realising how old their men had become. Sometimes, we don't see what is there before us.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Clayberg
14:35 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you for your story. It wasn't easy for me to read it all the way through, but I did. I can definitely empathize with your story's narrator and the feeling of powerlessness. My father died in May 2007 (a week before his 73rd birthday) from prostate cancer and bone cancer. The latter cancer was triggered by the former cancer. It's possible that the prostate cancer was caused by his exposure to Agent Orange during his one (and only) year in Vietnam, 1968-1969. I was one of the people who helped take care of him in the last nine m...

Reply

Paige Mackey
15:02 Sep 18, 2020

I’m so sorry for your loss. I can’t even imagine how difficult this must have been for you. This story was inspired by the death of my grandfather when I was 9 years old. He died by an aggressive cancer that has been associated also as a result from agent orange exposure during Vietnam. I can’t imagine losing my father, because losing my grandfather was hard enough. He was still just in his early 60s. I was still very young and didn’t always have a full understanding of what was going on. I just for the longest time remember sharing ice-crea...

Reply

Philip Clayberg
21:33 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you for the sympathy. I really appreciate it. Your story told me that I'm not alone or even in the minority. There are others who've been through something like it. We're able to tap into our inner strength and just keep going even during the unpleasant times. It's not a subject that I've ever wanted to write stories about, so kudos to you that you were able to do what I didn't want to. Thank you also for being a kindred spirit (as the fictional Anne of Green Gables would've said). Your grandfather sounds like a really cool gu...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Saron Mengistu
14:18 Sep 18, 2020

Dear goodness, where is my heart? I can't find it. All there is the this pile of shattered—oh. On a more serious note, well done!! Lively tale, emotional, sorrowful, profound. Amazing job with how important the father was. And the conclusion was spot on. I am impressed. Transitions need work, the setting if the story, whether it's past or present, is a little murky. The italics have a lovely effect, but don't add much to when this event is happening. Other than that, great job!!

Reply

Paige Mackey
14:20 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you so much for your critiques!!! I’ll definitely keep them in mind!!! ❤️ I appreciate you reading my story so much!☺️ Have a lovely day!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arvind Kashyap
12:49 Sep 18, 2020

Very first story is very engrossing. Good. Keep writing. Best wishes.

Reply

Paige Mackey
16:53 Sep 20, 2020

Thank you so much!!!❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Milja Luomala
10:05 Sep 18, 2020

You really succeeded in transferring the emotions from the story to the reader!

Reply

Paige Mackey
11:50 Sep 18, 2020

Yay!!!! Thank you!!!!❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Naomie K
04:04 Sep 18, 2020

moving story...

Reply

Paige Mackey
11:51 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you so much!!! I took aspects of my own life when my grandfather passed away.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ipshita Majumdar
03:59 Sep 18, 2020

This story has so much emotion and depth, its a beautiful read. Hope to read more of your stories:)

Reply

Paige Mackey
11:51 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you!!! That means so much to me!!!❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tempest Wright
03:29 Sep 18, 2020

Wow, very raw and powerful. I love the inner conflict! Good job! You write amazingly well. You show, not just tell. 😊

Reply

Paige Mackey
11:51 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you!!!❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Kingston
02:14 Sep 18, 2020

wow! this story is so powerful and tragic. you really tug at the heartstrings with a dad-child relationship. keep up the good work and keep writing!!

Reply

Paige Mackey
11:52 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you so much!!!☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D. Jaymz
00:30 Sep 18, 2020

A very contemplative, emotional tale for a reader to consider the consequences of what is left unsaid. Well-written 👏 ~~~~~~ Suggestions ~~~~~~ My Opinion Only ~~~~~~ In the clause, 'He told me at some point i could have off some time,'. I believe that it would sound more logical by saying, 'He told me at some point i could have some time off,'. Also, 'i' needs to be capitalized in this sentence. There are a few more of those 'i's running around throughout your story that needs to put on their 'big-'I'-pants 😉 The ending sentence, ...

Reply

Paige Mackey
11:53 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you for the critiques! I love the way you put that the i needs to put on his big I pants hahaha lovely way to put it! Thank you so much for the read!❤️

Reply

D. Jaymz
21:39 Sep 18, 2020

You're welcome 😊 It was a pleasure reading your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Erick Morin
19:08 Sep 17, 2020

Hey, I enjoyed reading this story. I think you do a good job in creating an emotional atmosphere. You do a good job using imagery and figurative language to draw out the sadness and emotion. There are some parts that could use some refining, but they don't detract from the story. Overall, I liked your story.

Reply

Paige Mackey
20:41 Sep 17, 2020

I totally agree!! I definitely could have spent more time refining it, and I liked it so much, after it’s submission I’ve been working on it ever since!! Thank you so much though! I totally appreciate it!❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Saad Ismail
16:19 May 31, 2021

Good story. You passed your sorrow right into my soul. I read every word. some, twice. Like your tone, language and style. Keep writing. Wish you could write to about your future attempts at various subjects. Your soul tells me you will. will succeed. God bless. Saad.

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:53 Apr 12, 2021

hey i need someone to write me a story i will pay you i am in 9th grade its has to be 4 pages can be double spaced text me on snap - savage_queen995 i was young when i made this or on insta badbitchpooh23 its my fake account

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cassandra Durnin
16:48 Feb 04, 2021

Such a beautifully written and intriguing story. The weight of your words was astoundingly heavy, making a sad but captivating read. I loved this, well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Pamela Berglund
14:43 Sep 28, 2020

This is a well written story and way too true. Thank you for sharing .

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.