231 comments

Inspirational

** 40TH STORY**

Song I listened to while writing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW9Fzwuf43c


"Last stop, Market Street." I walk to the edge of the train when the doors open. My feet move forward but my mind needs to catch up. I shake the fog from my head and move forward. People crowd the subway station. There's a staircase marked "E" over to the left. I duck through the people running to catch the train. Moisture gathered in the corner of my right eye. It had been bothering me for five days now. Ever since... wait... five days ago. So that meant today was... what was today? Doesn't matter.

***

The streets were noisy. There was a construction project two blocks behind me and three more scattered in front. I pulled earmuffs over my ears. Noise still found its way through. Grunting, I kept walking.


My destination was twenty paces away. I made my way through the throngs and found myself at the cold cobblestones outside it. It was a cold blue building. The lights even looked cold. Blue looks cold. I shivered.


Up the elevator. Waiting with strangers. Letting metal arms pull apart an opening for me to move forward. Thousands of feet above the ground. There was a couch– dead cows– that I sat down on. Magazines– parts of the lives of stupid people– lay in front of me.


Suited-up men surrounded me, all wanting to talk to a person. Wanting their business. Such a lovely concept. One of them was from a rival firm. Cory Milton, the other hardware supplier. I frowned at him, though I had no personal hatred for him. That was business. Maybe we'd be good friends if he didn't work there. Eh, well he does.


"Hello? No, can I take a message?" The secretary said. She was talking about the future customer. The one I had to convince. He was there, she didn't say that, though. She made it sound like she needed to take a message... for when he got back.


The full absurdity of my world became apparent in the split seconds of talking, the small fragments of voice splitting from the mouth of the employee. Why would she choose to lie? Was the client such a buffoon? Why was I here? No, there was no purpose in arguing. That was the way things worked. My boss had asked the secretary at my office to do the same. Plenty of times.


"Mr. Dahlia, you can go in." I got up and walked to the door. The handle was rusty. I pulled and went inside, warm air meeting me. The client was sour-faced with a bald head. I shook his hand. It was sweaty. Avoiding his gaze, I rubbed it off on my pants.


"Ah, Jonas, what can I do for you?" He'd seen me before, Mr. Murdoch. That was his name. I'd seen him some months ago. I could never remember our meetings. They all seemed the same as with other clients. It was September... I think.


"I heard you need some more routers and monitor connectors." I clicked open my briefcase. There was a wire inside. A clustered strand of metal covered in rubber... used to connect ourselves... what was the world doing?


I couldn't... what was the purpose? Why had I squandered my life and sold, well, whatever hardware was? Where was the truth, the purity to my joys in life? Did I have joys?


"Ah, yes. I need some USB cords while you're at it." he said. My brain snapped to it. I pulled out a legal notepad. What figures did he want? Ask him that.


"What figures are you looking for?" I said. His eyebrows stayed the same. Some people's go up when you ask about money. His didn't.


"Eh, I'd like about 200, need some backups," he answered. 200, that was about $2500. He had the money, I knew he did... did I know that? Did I really know anything? How stupid the world was, how little I cared for what I did. That isn't life, no... that's not life. Life is a celebration, a gratefulness, an enjoyment. What was I enjoying? There was nothing for me in this shell of my mind, the monotony of the world... why did I stay?

***


Jimmy LaFonn was losing. All of his money had been swindled from him, stolen by a hand much crueler than ever before, the house. His head in his hands, he started on his way home. There was nothing that he could do that could keep him away tomorrow, he knew that. Jimmy was losing to the house in more ways than one; willpower was in their pot now.


There was something that he'd been picking at in the back of his mind. Whenever there was a thought itching to be put before the light, he had to get on his knees and dig for it. As he sat down on his leather armchair after slamming the door, the process began.


When did the thought arise? After losing his second to last hand.


Why did it arise? Because he thought about why he was there.


Why was he there? Because he had nowhere else to be. Ah, that was getting there.


Jimmy was thrown down the path of thought as most visionaries are, thrust into the palm of distinct genius... but Jimmy was no genius. He was tossed around between the traintracks that carried his idea on their shoulders and pushed him back and forth with it.


He had dreams, of that he was sure. Or at least he used to. Not twig-rustling dreams but the kind that uproots trees and sweeps you down onto the torn soil. They had fueled his passion as he countered and parried his way through school... but where had they gone?


Gone. That's where they were. He needed to find them again, to be lost in the sunlight of a brighter day, a dawn of a new life.


"Why does no one stop to help me?" he thought. Why would no one try to wake him from his slumber? As he lay swept on the shores of life, the world kept going. It always did.

**

Oh god, even the streets are... absurd! They just don't make sense, they feel out of place. Why am I here? Where are my dreams?

**

The world kept going.

March 07, 2021 23:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

231 comments

Mira Caplan
13:18 Mar 08, 2021

What Nika said... wow YOU SHOULD BE FAMOUS ALREADYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY I mean... HOW???????????????????????

Reply

. .
13:19 Mar 08, 2021

HEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEE I DUNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:20 Mar 08, 2021

XDDDDDDDDD SERIOUSLY THOUGH I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Reply

. .
13:23 Mar 08, 2021

XP

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:28 Mar 08, 2021

random, but........... John Steinbeck

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:33 Mar 08, 2021

His writing is actually pretty goodddddddd

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
13:33 Mar 08, 2021

His writing is actually pretty goodddddddd

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
13:17 Mar 08, 2021

I willllll!!!!!!! I'm reading a lot of other ones at the moment like one hundred years of solitude but I will rush to get to it!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
04:01 Mar 08, 2021

I need a novel by you. Seriously. Ps. Heyyyy!! Mind saying how you think of me (personality) and like, describing me in a sentence, and how do you think I look like? Aaaaaand, bro, im not dead.... im a zombie.... Its for my new biooo!! ?

Reply

. .
12:43 Mar 08, 2021

Lollllllllll well sometimes sooooooooon perhaps maybe kinda sorta not really... P.S. Well, I think you have short hair and you're average height, but you're a bubbly "PARTAY" type of person. YAYYYYYYYYYY I TAKE YOU OUT OF THE GRAVEYARD!!!!!!!!

Reply

Sia S
14:18 Mar 08, 2021

XDDDD that sentence is the summary of my life XPP PS. Howdya even know that....... RIGHTTTTT YAYYYYYY LMAO YASSS YESSSSSSS! SO HAPPYYYYYY

Reply

. .
14:22 Mar 08, 2021

YERPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPYAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Reply

Sia S
16:26 Mar 08, 2021

Ehehehehehehehehehehhe XPPP

Reply

. .
16:27 Mar 08, 2021

XPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP I decided to start putting in my stories the songs I listened to while writing them because the music is just so affectinggggggggggg I did it earlier on call it what you want and now I did it with this!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:41 Mar 08, 2021

CONGRATS ON 40 STORIES!!! 🎉🎊 Dang. People always write great milestone stories, and you're no exception. This story was amazing (*rolls my eyes because I've said that to describe people's stories at least 100 times by now*)! I felt all sorts of emotions reading this. I think the thing I love most abt this is the contrast, yet similarity, between Jonas and Jimmy's situations. This is prob my fav line: 'As Jonas Dahlia sat selling strands of rubber-covered wire on dead cow skin in a room of purified sand condensed into glass, and Jimmy sank in...

Reply

. .
01:13 Mar 08, 2021

Thank you so much Annabelle!!!! I really enjoyed this one toooooooooooooo and this was such a sweet comment. Yerp you got it!!!!

Reply

01:25 Mar 08, 2021

Yw! Anytime 😁 Yay!

Reply

. .
01:43 Mar 08, 2021

:DDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

01:46 Mar 08, 2021

:)))))

Reply

. .
12:46 Mar 08, 2021

:)))))))))))))))

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Cole
00:34 Mar 08, 2021

Oh my god another philosophy nerd!! (I don't mean that as an insult btw) I love love love this, and I'm literally just reading the Myth of Sisyphus rn. I love this line in particular "Not twig-rustling dreams but the kind that uproots trees and sweeps you down onto the torn soil."

Reply

. .
00:35 Mar 08, 2021

YESHHHHHHHHHHHH ALBERT CAMUS!!!!!!! I looooooooooove philosophy so much and it fits like a puzzle with writing!! Thank you so muchhhhh I loved that line too 😁

Reply

Rebecca Cole
03:06 Mar 08, 2021

YESSS!!! I completely agree, philosophy and writing interlock sooo well, like the Stranger!!!!

Reply

. .
12:45 Mar 08, 2021

I love the Stranger!! My favorite Camus work is easily the Plague because its just... just... I can't... and I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally love Jean-Paul Sartre. I more subscribe to Sartrian tho than Absurdism. I hope to be like Camus and Sartre one day: a prolific writer who's also an avid philosopher and redefiner of the world.

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
12:48 Mar 08, 2021

Ooh, you love A Man Called Ove?? I tried it and then put it down as a youngster... I can really see the hints of death and existence themes in there tho. Another of my favorite philosophy books is Atlas Shrugged, though I don't entirely agree with Rand's Objectivism.

Reply

Rebecca Cole
13:03 Mar 08, 2021

YES! I looove Sartre, existentialism and humanism is the first piece of philosophy that I read. I'm sure that you will be, and I'd read whatever you wrote! I struggle with Ayn Rand's takes on laissez-faire capitalism, and objectivism. Oh I absoloutly love A Man Called Ove, and as a youngster myself I would highly recommend sticking with it because overall the book is very rewarding! Also your really cool lol

Reply

. .
13:04 Mar 08, 2021

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww that's so sweet!!! I understood the Objectivist route, but my way of cleansing it was finding out my own ways to think it wrong. Its not for everyone. Ok, I'll certainly pick it up again!!!!!! Awwwwwww you too!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
01:48 Mar 12, 2021

Hey

Reply

. .
13:32 Mar 12, 2021

Heyyyyy

Reply

B. W.
16:07 Mar 12, 2021

How are ya?

Reply

. .
16:14 Mar 12, 2021

Great!!

Reply

B. W.
16:51 Mar 12, 2021

Do ya like the new prompts?

Reply

. .
17:00 Mar 12, 2021

Ehhhhhhhh

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
12:34 Mar 11, 2021

Nine letter word for torture?

Reply

. .
12:47 Mar 11, 2021

Wut? What do you mean lollll

Reply

Sia S
14:29 Mar 11, 2021

Lol, can you give me a nine letter word meaning torture?

Reply

. .
14:32 Mar 11, 2021

I dunnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Tantalise????

Reply

Sia S
15:00 Mar 11, 2021

XDDDD THANSKSSS

Reply

. .
15:01 Mar 11, 2021

ITS PROB WRONG BUT NPPPPPPP

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:24 Mar 10, 2021

SO I KNOW I’M LATE BUT HAPPY FREAKIN’ 40TH STORY!!!!!!!!!! THAT’S A CRAZY ACCOMPLISHMENT LIKE CONGOOOOO

Reply

. .
00:00 Mar 11, 2021

THANKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AERINNNNNNN

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Random question: Will you ever run out of music-links because you listened to every single one on Youtube?

Reply

. .
17:59 Mar 10, 2021

Nope!! Its a perpetual cycle of more songs being made and me listening to more.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Me totally know what perpetual cycle means**

Reply

. .
23:59 Mar 10, 2021

XPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Reply

. .
00:02 Mar 11, 2021

LoLoLoLoL

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
06:29 Mar 10, 2021

OHMIGOD LUKE!!!!! Did I tell you I have a new story out????????????? And jts gonna be my new series?????????? And I might convert it to my novel???????

Reply

. .
12:48 Mar 10, 2021

YOU DOO?????????????????????????????????

Reply

Sia S
14:26 Mar 10, 2021

YASSSSSSS I THOUGHT I TOLD YOUUUUUUUUUUUU

Reply

. .
14:32 Mar 10, 2021

YOU DIDN'TTTTTTTTTTTT WHICH WAN IS ITTTTTTTTTTTTT

Reply

Sia S
14:48 Mar 10, 2021

I KNOWWWWWW ITS BOMBBBBBBB

Reply

. .
14:50 Mar 10, 2021

OK I CHECK OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.