193 comments

General

You are busy finishing your caramel apple when you see her. Her long, blond hair is being whipped into a frenzy by the wind. Her eyes are a very unique shade of honey brown. Peeking out from her flat denim jacket is the prettiest striped suit you’ve ever seen. She catches you looking at her. A mischievous smile plays across her plump lips. It is, definitely, love at first sight.


After a year of tremendous convincing for your parents, you get married to her. ‘The perfect match' your friends call you. What they don’t know is that neither of you is perfect. Despite being fiercely in love with each other, both of you have your differences. Every night there is a fight, a fight that leads to Zita breaking into tears. A fight that leads to her leaving your house. A fight that leads to her threatening you to tell everyone your secret. Your secret -- a secret nobody knows about, except for Zita. ‘I’ll kill her.’ Every night you make a vow to yourself. ‘I won’t.’ Every morning you break it. 


It has been three years and a few months since the two of you got married but Zita hasn’t gotten any better.


Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why is she like this?


The words are always hard for her – not quite a stutter, more like each syllable is a stone she has to bring forth. You are sitting at the table waiting for your breakfast to arrive. ‘Useless' your mum calls you. You don’t even know how to make your own stupid breakfast. You bark, telling Zita to bring your breakfast or else you’ll go to the office without having any. Scared steps approach you. There is a clink of a glass and then…"NOT AGAIN!!!” you shout. She has dropped breakfast all over your clothes. Without giving a second thought, you slap her. You grab her hair and drag her all the way up to the attic. You hit her again and again and again until she passes out. 


You've always been angry-- at the world, at your parents, at life. Zita, being so close to you, begins to bear the brunt of your anger. W-why? W-why? W-why? W-why? W-why? Why do you do this?


You return from the office but Zita is not at her usual place: the kitchen. You knock your room's door and enter without waiting for her to answer. Ah, there she is. Her left eye is swollen. Her lower lip split open and there is a scar from her right eye to her left ear. That’s what you did to her. All for mishandling your breakfast? “I’m sorry,” you begin with your everyday apology. And just like every day, she forgives you with all her heart.


New day. New fight. She wants to go to parties with you. You refuse. She insists, forgetting that you aren’t one of those husbands who let their typical wives take control over them. Your first instinct is to ignore her. But, out of habit you push her, you slap her until she screams. Until she begs you, promises you that she won’t ask for going with you ever again. 


Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why can't she go with you?


In the evening, you return home to find the air filled with a tantalizing aroma, warm as newly baked bread hot from the oven, -- to your surprise, it’s the Doughnuts. She has done it again. You throw away your office bag, undo your tie, lie down on the sofa and close your eyes. Suddenly, you feel soft, warm hands taking off your socks. Out of the corner of your slightly opened eyes, you see Zita. She is moving in feverish haste, anxious to get going. You get up and cast her one of ‘your looks.’ She smiles a weak smile in return and quickly leaves the room. You are gobbling your fifth doughnut when something comes rushing into your mind. She didn’t make those just out of love for you. It’s your fourth wedding anniversary. Ugh...you forgot it. Again! 


W-why? W-why? W-why? W-why? W-why? Why did you forget it?


You enter your room just to find it decorated with rosemary and Jasmine. This is definitely a punch in the gut for you. Not only did you forget such an important occasion but you also forgot to bring her a gift. You approach Zita but this time with small, calculated steps. She is crying. The mascara on her eyes is smeared. She is wearing nothing on her face except for the weak smile which she puts up when she sees you approaching. You take her hands in yours. To your surprise, they are cold and trembling. You look straight into her eyes and realize just how scared she is…of you. No, not you. She’s scared of the monster in you.

Ashamed, you get up and leave the room.


Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why are you such a monster?


The next day you buy a ring for her. A ring so beautifully embedded with diamonds. Zita would definitely love it, you think. “Eight hundred dollars, please.” Quickly, you handover the handsome amount to the shop owner. The money is nothing as compared to the love you’ve for Zita(apparently).


While driving, your phone is constantly buzzing on your car's dashboard. You ignore the calls thinking it’s just Zita to ask why have you been late. While waiting at the traffic signal you get a chance to have a look at your phone. It’s June, your neighbor. There are not one, not two but four missed calls from her side. You call her back and it is at that moment when the traffic signal turns green. Honk. Honk. The number you’ve dialed is not responding at the moment. Please try again later. Thank you. Honk. Honk. The number you’ve dialed is not responding at the moment. Please try again later. Thank you. Honk. Honk. 


Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit... You even lose the count of how many times you say that word. 


Your phone is ringing again. It’s thankfully, June.

'Hello?'

'Hey, everything good?'

'No, it’s…its Zita.'

'What about her?'

'She’s…she’s dying. She just won't let me take her to the hospital.'


Dying. Dying. Dying. Dying. Dying. Dying. Dying. Dying.


You know how when you’re driving and skid on ice or just avoid hitting the deer, you find yourself with your heart racing and your hands shaking and your blood went to ice. That’s what June's words have done to you.


Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? is all you can think.


Once you reach home, you get out of your car without even closing the door.

“Zita! Zita?"


You’ve checked your room. The bathroom. The dining hall. The garage. The courtyard. The attic… no, you didn’t check the attic. Once at the attic, you search frantically for her. There she is. You take her hand in yours. “Why? Why did you do this?” A weak smile blossoms across Zita's dying face. “ I – I love yo—you but I must gg -- go” “No, no, please. Don’t do this to me. What have you done? Why did you do this?” But, this time she doesn’t reply. Her eyes roll into their sockets, white and blind. And, all you are left with is a dead Zita.


July 05, 2020 13:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

193 comments

Artemisia Pearl
21:03 Jul 05, 2020

Wow! That was an amazingly suspensful story! My eyes were peeled to my screen! I love the point of veiw, as well! I loved your story! Good job!

Reply

Batool Hussain
04:34 Jul 06, 2020

Thank you so much. It means a lot ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
18:58 Jul 05, 2020

Superb read! Beauty and the Beast , but a sad ending. The unfortunate part is there are numerous examples of such a story in reality.

Reply

Batool Hussain
04:38 Jul 06, 2020

Thank you sooso much;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angelina Valencia
17:16 Jul 05, 2020

Damn, this is a really good story! I couldn't stop reading it! I want to read it again!

Reply

Batool Hussain
17:19 Jul 05, 2020

Aww..thanks. Btw, this a backstory of a story I posted earlier 'You and the train.' Do check it out if you've time. Thank you once again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
𝔸. Triangle
14:59 Jul 05, 2020

Batool Hussian, I am officially claiming this story as the best I've read all week. You truly know how to make your reader feel immense amounts of emotions and really connect with your characters. Your description is beautiful and second person could really be your thing. Sincerely, A.

Reply

Batool Hussain
15:06 Jul 05, 2020

Aww, thank you so much. You literally made my day. So happy that you liked it. ❤

Reply

𝔸. Triangle
00:50 Jul 06, 2020

It's the honest truth. Oh, and you're very welcome! Sincerely, A.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Elle Clark
14:56 Jul 05, 2020

Hi Batool! Very interesting story and glad that we get to see a little more of a character from a previous story! Does this take place after the last one? I thought the theme of domestic abuse was done well but I think you could’ve gone even further in exploring his reactions and motivations. I think if you’d included his emotions a bit more (you feel that familiar rage surfacing and, as the red haze descends, you see your hand curling into a fist/ the sight of her split lip curdles you’re insides with shame) it would’ve juxtaposed the v...

Reply

Batool Hussain
15:11 Jul 05, 2020

Thank you for detailed feedback, Laura! I mentioned a question towards the end when Zita is dying. Do you think I should make it a central question? Would you please help me out to pick the central question? And thank you so very much for praising my work. It means a lot, especially when this story is what I've been working on for the past 2 hours. I'll wait for your reply. Thanks.

Reply

Elle Clark
16:29 Jul 05, 2020

You’re very welcome - if you want me to tone down the critique for future pieces, just let me know. Happy to give as many or as few thoughts as you’d like. I’d say if you made the dying question central, it would give the ending away a little. Ultimately it’s your story though so if you were going to have this, I’d suggest making it ambiguous. Something like ‘Why, Zita, why?’ If it were my piece, I think I’d go for some form of introspection into the protagonist’s own character. Something like ‘I love her so much. Does she think that I’m...

Reply

Batool Hussain
16:34 Jul 05, 2020

Thank you sooooo much, Laura! Much appreciated;) I'll definitely let you know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amith Shaju
14:03 Jul 05, 2020

Heart wrenching! A very real depiction of domestic abuse and it's effects. :( I hope the title is temperory. It gives away the ending. :P

Reply

Batool Hussain
14:03 Jul 05, 2020

Haha...good idea! I'll change it right away:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:01 Jul 05, 2020

A heartbreaking story that follows a husband who is anything but perfect and a dutiful wife who loves despite the ache. Now here's this: I don't think I got the part where he blossoms into a monster. You see, at the start you made it seem like he was wildly in love with Zita. I didn't know when he started hitting her because it was too fast and sudden. Also, when June calls your character, she tells him that Zita is dead. To all of us, she is. This means that what we are expecting when he gets home is an ambulance(probably?) Or a really d...

Reply

Batool Hussain
14:02 Jul 05, 2020

Thank you so much, Abigail for your feedback. Thanks for spotting the mistake too. I'll go and correct it immediately.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
13:56 Jul 05, 2020

Hello! So, as you guys showered tremendous love and support on my story "You and the train, " here's another part of it. More like a backstory. Do share your views. Thanks:)

Reply

14:06 Jul 05, 2020

Now I get the idea. I really wanted to know about Zita from that story and now I do. Great job

Reply

Batool Hussain
14:06 Jul 05, 2020

Thank you🌼

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Iona Cottle
21:01 Jul 13, 2020

A powerful story, I liked the repetition and the rhetorical questions. Why didn't the neighbour just call an ambulance at the end though? As other people have said, it was a brave choice of narrator, but you've handled it well. Nice work :)

Reply

Batool Hussain
03:52 Jul 14, 2020

Thank you. Zita wouldn't let the neighbor call an ambulance:(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
April Summers
13:53 Jul 13, 2020

This was a beautiful, moving piece which gave me so much feels. It was well written and the emotions were raw and felt so real. Gosh I feel really sad now. But overall great job! :)

Reply

Batool Hussain
13:54 Jul 13, 2020

Aww, thank you;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rodrigo Juatco
18:53 Jul 12, 2020

Very interesting story. I was disturbed yet captivated when reading it. Such a tragic ending. I thought the word repetition really played well with the character's state of mind. Well written. Different from your other stories. Thank you for sharing this story. You're an excellent writer. If you have the time, please give my story a read. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Reply

Batool Hussain
04:12 Jul 13, 2020

Thank you and Sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Red Herring
17:35 Jul 12, 2020

I love the tension throughout this story, and how internal it is. I feel as though I am entering an intensely private world that crashes into a public declaration of despair. Something about it coming back to the attic is very poetic--- the top of the house, where you store your secrets, yet also, being closer to the sky. I am very moved by this story. Thank you for writing :)

Reply

Batool Hussain
17:46 Jul 12, 2020

Aww, thank you. Could you please check out my new story and share your views on it too? Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Veronica H.
21:57 Jul 11, 2020

What a shame that the wrong character had their POV shared and didn’t die. What was the intended theme of this story I wonder? Would most readers who grew up in a household of domestic abuse easily pick up on it?

Reply

Batool Hussain
04:30 Jul 12, 2020

Most of the readers liked the "switch" I.e. They liked the story being narrated from the husband's perspective. And, many of them were also able to relate to it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zan Lexus
13:13 Jul 11, 2020

Interesting perspective choice. Sad but well written story. ^_^

Reply

Batool Hussain
13:22 Jul 11, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Urooj Asim
14:53 Jul 07, 2020

amaaaazingggg!!!!

Reply

Batool Hussain
14:54 Jul 07, 2020

Thank youu!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tim Law
11:16 Jul 07, 2020

How sad. Such a powerful story. Domestic Violence is a serious issue that does play out behind so many closed doors. Thanks for bringing this to the forefront for us to see and know and discuss.

Reply

Batool Hussain
11:18 Jul 07, 2020

Thanks, Tim! Your comment is much appreciated;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:24 Jul 06, 2020

Amazing, intense, and beautiful are all words that describe this story. The way you incorporated the "Why?" throughout the whole story was amazing to me. Keep writing and stay healthy! :) -Brooke

Reply

Batool Hussain
14:42 Jul 06, 2020

Thank you so very much ,Brooke 🌸 Stay healthy!

Reply

14:53 Jul 06, 2020

My pleasure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anja Z
06:08 Jul 06, 2020

Beautifully written and held my attention the whole time ,, at the end he did actually get his punishment for not treating her like he should , beautiful keep writing :D

Reply

Batool Hussain
06:12 Jul 06, 2020

Thank you so much, Anja! Please give it a like if you enjoyed. Thanks.

Reply

Anja Z
08:14 Jul 06, 2020

Sorry completely forgot :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Gee Here
14:08 Jul 05, 2020

So, so, so good! I really wanted to know about Zita from your previous story and now I know. Great job👍👍

Reply

Batool Hussain
17:06 Jul 05, 2020

Thank youuu

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
N. Thorne
01:03 Jul 14, 2020

Hi Batool, Reading your story and leaving feedback as promised. This story brought up a lot of emotions, it's unfortunately a reality for so many women, and I hope you weren't writing from your own experience. The way you wrote it from the abuser's perspective was different and you wrote that well, very raw and honest without sensationalizing the violence. Unlike one commentator I like the intro the way you wrote it, it shows the love that existed before things went sour. If you ever feel like expanding this story to make it slightly lon...

Reply

Batool Hussain
03:51 Jul 14, 2020

Thank you so much. And no, it is thankfully not from my personal experience. My parents are very caring and loving;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.