45 comments

Middle School Inspirational Historical Fiction

A Fable: The Gardener and the Potter

Samuel, a slightly stooped, aging gentleman of humble means in a humble village, visited with his eldest daughter. “Is all well with you and your new husband?”

“All is wonderfully well. He treats me like a precious flower. Seeing to my every want and need. Gordon is such a hard worker. He works from sun-up to sun-down in our fields growing the best crops any gardener would be proud of.” Marigold marveled.

“Is there anything you need from me, My Dear?”

“Well, the only thing I could request is that you pray for rain to bless our gardens. Without adequate rain our plants will wither and die then we would perish as well.”

“Very well, Dear Daughter, it is such a blessing to know you are happy.”

The next day, Samuel visited his second, youngest daughter on the opposite side of the village. “Is all well with you and your new husband?”

“All is wonderfully well. He treats me like a precious gem. Seeing to my every want and need. Paul is such a hard worker. He works from sun-up to sun-down molding the clay to shape our pottery and tiles. I am proud of my potter husband.” Pearl proclaimed.

“Is there anything you need from me, My Dear?”

“Well, the only thing I could request is that you pray for fair, sunshiny weather that will bake our wares in order to provide all we need so we will not perish.”

“Very well, Dear Daughter, it is a blessing to know you are happy.”

Samuel returned to his humble dwelling in the middle of the humble village. It occurred to him he was in a very difficult situation, indeed. He had two beautiful, healthy and happy daughters that had asked for his prayers to help maintain their success. Trouble was, as he surmised, if he prayed for rain to help the eldest daughter, it would hurt the younger one. However, if he prayed for plenty of sunshine to help the younger daughter, it would hurt the eldest one. He loved his daughters equally. How could he choose one over the other?

The Good Lord in His wisdom provides all adequately in due season. Usually. But there are times when too much or too little of good things cause detrimental outcomes. Could too much sunshine for too long destroy the crops? Could too much rain too often never let the roof tiles dry out? What should a good father pray for to help his loving daughters equally? He was torn between two conflicting needs.

“Dear, Lord. Today I pray for rain to water the plants to benefit Marigold and Gordon.”

“Dear, Lord. Today I pray for sunshine to bake the pottery for Paul and Pearl.”

And so Samuel wavered back and forth often confusing himself as to which day it was to pray for which daughter. He was convinced it also must be confusing the Almighty.

Once again he caned his way to one end of the village and then to the other end to visit each pair of newlyweds.

“How are you faring, My Dear, Marigold. How does your garden grow?”

“It rains a bit but not quite enough to give the plants a good drink.”

“How are you faring, My Dear, Pearl? Pottery fired up?”

“It gets almost dry then the rain comes the next day and drying out has to start all over.”

Oh, Dear! Just as he feared. By trying to help both he was helping neither. There must be a better solution.

Samuel pondered and pondered and prayed for wisdom. Surely, in this humble village there should be a humble action he could follow to remedy the problem. He was torn between the businesses. Divided between his daughters.

If only he could bottle the sunshine or the rain to be used as needed. Now wait! That may not be a bad idea. What if they could somehow capture the rain to be saved for when there wasn't enough then get it to the plants as needed? What if they could make heat to bake the tiles? Hmm. He wondered. Then he planned.

He invited both couples to his humble abode in the middle of the village and prepared a humble dinner for them. Once all were satiated sensible Samuel laid out his solution to their problems.

“I have an idea that by working together you can maintain both of your livelihoods, Gordon the Gardener and Paul the Potter. How about fashioning a water collection system using tiles Paul makes along the eaves of Gordon's roof tops. The water from the rains flow into barrels and stays there until needed. Then it can be irrigated out to the fields once again along tiles when there is not enough rain.

“Gordon, you have piles of large stones you have pulled from your fields while plowing, correct? Haven't they been a nuisance to you. Let's use them to build a large oven over at Paul's place that can be fired up to bake the pottery when there is not enough sunshine to dry the tiles out.”

“Oh, Father, what a perfect way to help both of us.” Marigold glowed.

“Yes, Father, that is a splendid idea.” Pearl praised.

Soon work was started to make the dream a reality. Once finished the plan worked as expected so all could benefit. The gardens grew plentiful bounties. Enough was grown to feed all three families and sell some for profit. The pottery business also profited providing not only useful and beautiful pieces for the homesteads but also essential building materials to grow the community.

Unassuming Samuel became acclaimed throughout the land as a wise consultant capable of settling the most difficult impasses. Many sought his expertise services and paid handsomely for them.

“Dear Marigold, is all well with you?”

“Yes, Father Dear. Gordon and I are very happy. Our garden produces much.”

“Dear Pearl, is all well with you?”

“Of course, Dear Father. Paul and I happily keep our potter fires burning.”

“Then let us give thanks, Dear Daughters.”

March 15, 2024 16:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

45 comments

John Rutherford
13:46 Mar 17, 2024

A chicken soup stories, to warm the cockles of our hearts. Thanks for sharing your fable.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:45 Mar 17, 2024

Thanks for the warm comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
06:38 Mar 17, 2024

Wisdom is a powerful tool. I hope I can be as good as that father was to his daughters one day. Enjoyed.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:41 Mar 17, 2024

Thanks for commenting. Sure you will be fine.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
00:23 Mar 17, 2024

A great solution to use each son-in-law's strength to the other's advantage. A humble man with much wisdom!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
00:31 Mar 17, 2024

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annie Persson
09:58 Mar 16, 2024

What a way to bless all! Really nice conclusion. :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:52 Mar 16, 2024

Glad you liked it.😄

Reply

Annie Persson
18:53 Mar 16, 2024

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
22:20 Mar 15, 2024

Leave it to the old-uns. (sometimes they know whereof they speak).

Reply

Mary Bendickson
05:24 Mar 16, 2024

Thanks for reading and the wise comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jane Andrews
06:29 Apr 28, 2024

This was a lovely fable, Mary - not only was it a heartwarming story with a clear message, but you captured the perfect tone with your use of repetition and simple prose. I’m so pleased I read this.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:05 Apr 28, 2024

Thank you kindly. When I read other's talented ideas I am always pleased someone still finds simple works.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Isabel Jewell
00:06 Apr 13, 2024

Wow, I really enjoyed this sweet story! I enjoyed the characters and the village-life context!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:25 Apr 13, 2024

Thank you.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claire Trbovic
20:13 Mar 20, 2024

Love a fable, and love this one :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:37 Mar 20, 2024

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jarrel Jefferson
14:44 Mar 20, 2024

In the middle of reading this, I was thinking there should be a watering can somewhere in this fable. But then I thought…hey, the solution itself is not the point. The point is finding a solution to help everyone because we all share this world and have a right to prosper from our hard work equally. Thanks for reminding us about that fact.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:47 Mar 20, 2024

Sure. Thanks for liking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:14 Mar 20, 2024

Brilliant solution. LOL I wondered why they didn't bake the pottery in an oven to start with. Definitely a Fable with a great lesson. A solution to help both parties help each other to solve their opposite problems. Wonderful match with the prompt.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
05:50 Mar 20, 2024

Thanks for liking. I was going for old-timey feel before modern kilns and irrigation techniques.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Olivia Lake
03:03 Mar 19, 2024

This was such a wonderful story! So charming and the pacing was just right. You knocked it out of the park with this one!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:53 Mar 19, 2024

Such encouraging words. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
LeeAnn Hively
22:13 Mar 18, 2024

So good that they decided they could work together even though it took a little more effort and planning. So many woes in this world would simply flutter away if we could all find a way to make sure our siblings in humanity were as well cared for as we hope we will be ourselves.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:16 Mar 18, 2024

Absolutely! Thanks for liking and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
12:48 Mar 18, 2024

What a charming story Mary! You tackled this topic beautifully. Bravo!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:22 Mar 18, 2024

Thanks 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
10:02 Mar 18, 2024

A bit like Solomon in the bible. An engaging tale with a perfect solution to a problem. So great when people work together.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:22 Mar 18, 2024

So true! Thanks for liking and the comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Liz Grosul
02:12 Mar 18, 2024

I love your tone in this piece! It fits perfectly. And, what a touching moral! thanks for sharing!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:42 Mar 18, 2024

Why, thank you kindly!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dustin Gillham
00:19 Mar 18, 2024

Mary, where have your words been for my depressed heart in the last year?! May I skip the compliments concerning conflict, theme, narrative, lesson, dialect, elements specifically attached to a "fable", etc.? I wish to both honor and thank you for your voice. Mary, thank you for writing something with such love, simplicity, and truth. I truly mean that. Thank you for blessing me today. With love and respect, Dustin

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:36 Mar 18, 2024

What a blessing your words are for me. Sometimes I feel my writing is so simple compared to the elegance of, say your talent, and others.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
07:23 Mar 18, 2024

No no no no! Mary you are charming the birds from the trees as I've been forced my whole life to shake them from their branched. Simple is good, safe and secure! Love what you are writing, Mary! Don't stop!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Detti
22:30 Mar 17, 2024

Aah what a lovely father! Really enjoyed Mary thank you

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:33 Mar 18, 2024

Well, thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. D. Lair
14:33 Mar 17, 2024

What a sweet fable Mary! Never underestimate the wisdom of a loving father. :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:46 Mar 17, 2024

Thanks for the sweet comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lewis
01:27 Mar 17, 2024

This story touches on the struggles of balancing the needs of loved ones. Samuel's dilemma of wanting to support both his daughters resonates with anyone who's faced tough decisions in family matters. But the way he comes up with a solution that benefits both businesses shows real ingenuity and care. It's a reminder that sometimes, thinking and working together can solve even the trickiest of problems.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
09:49 Mar 16, 2024

Everyone happy ! Yay ! Hahaha ! Adorable story, Mary. Great descriptions, as usual. Lovely job.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:52 Mar 16, 2024

Thanks for liking and the comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.