Signs of Intelligence

Submitted into Contest #243 in response to: Write a story from the point of view of a non-human character.... view prompt

44 comments

Science Fiction Funny

“What about this one, class?”

Misc. Bertlethwop tapped a glass box with a pointer. Inside was a small, furry animal. It hissed at the assortment of curious youth that gathered around to ogle. One of the students bent closer to the glass to study the mammal. It displayed a mouthful of razor sharp teeth and emitted a yowl that made the student back away.

 Misc. Bertlethwop tapped the glass again. “Well, what do you think? Intelligent or not?”

The class was undecided. They shuffled in place, each trying to avoid the teacher’s gazes. A student at the back raised three tentacles hesitantly. 

Misc. Bertlethwop nodded their two heads three times, one for each tentacle raised.

“I don’t think we can tell,” said the student, reluctant to look their teacher in the eyes. “We haven’t observed this creature long enough to make an important judgment call like that. It seems very aggressive, which often is a sign of lower intelligence, but it’s also very afraid. We should try to communicate with it before we pass judgment.” He nibbled a fourth tentacle nervously. “I mean, right?”

Misc. Bertlethwop gave a trill of approval. They beamed at the student, who dodged just in time. “Good for you, Gweep. Both on the dodge and keeping an open mind. I have no doubt you will be a Star Captain someday… if you keep applying yourself. 

Gweep beamed back, but Misc. Bertlethwop merely deflected the adolescent laser with an absentminded flick. She had 17.2 decas on him, which meant at least 34.4 decas of experience. The little brat would have to be quicker than that to supplant her.

Misc. Bertlethwop ignored his feeble attempt and addressed the entire class. “Gweep is correct, despite being a little underpowered.” The class tittered, and Gweep looked sheepish. “How can we communicate with the creature to determine intelligence?” Misc. Bertlethwop again faced a room of students suddenly distracted by the floor panels beneath them. “Well?”

Gweep waved two tentacles but Misc. Bertlethwop shook their heads.

“Someone besides Gweep. Someone who might aspire to be more than merely oil to grease the cogs someday?” 

The threat worked. A diminutive shadow twig piped up. Her layabout second uncle had been turned to machine grease and the memory still haunted the family. Misc. Bertlethwop nodded at her.

“Yes, wish*emelex? What are your thoughts? How can we communicate?”

“Telepathy?” asked wish*emelex, her delicate wisp of a voice more faint than usual. She prepared to phase out in case Misc. Bertlethwop beamed at her.

“Perfect answer!” Misc. Bertlethwop crowed. “If you are a ghost. Not everyone is a ghost, dear. Diversity means you and me, working together but differently, each with different abilities because respecting our differences keeps us free. Class?”

The class repeated the worn-out mantra with a lack of enthusiasm until Misc. Bertlethwop shot another beam into their midst. She had their rapt attention again.

“Someone else?”

Gweep raised three tentacles again. He bounced a little on the other six as he released an excited mist of pheromones into the air. His classmates backed away from him in disgust. Gweep, as usual, didn’t notice.

“Misc. Bertlethwop… I know…I know…”

They let him mist a few more pheromones before they nodded. 

“Yes, Gweep?”

“Technology!” Gweep exhaled the answer and the entire class was caught up in his musky, purple tinged breath. “We have technology!”

Misc. Bertlethwop clacked their talons.

“Yes, Gweep! Good! We have technology to level up our physical limitations. That is the purpose of it. Why don’t you take the lead and show us.”

Gweep looked proud. He fumbled in his fanny pack for a minute before pulling out a metallic green Cator and flipped open the top. The rest of the class was noticeably impressed. He moved toward the glass box as wish*emelex phased out to reappear closer to him.

“Cator, identify language.”

The Cator whirred to life, the languages of galaxies and gods spilling forth in a jumble of confused syntax. The furred creature in the box yowled at the cacophony of broken languages that assailed it. The Cator mimicked the noise in several pitches before getting it exact. Above the flipped open port letters appeared, made of light: Speaking Feline. Message?

“Ooooh, Feline. Of course,” Gweep said this as if he were perfectly fluent in Feline, which he wasn’t. wish*emelex was impressed nonetheless.

Gweep leaned in to the Cator, even though he knew full well it was capable of hearing him from two moons away. He looked intensely at the Feline.

“We mean you no harm.”

Out of the Cator came a series of soft purrs and mews. They sounded friendly, warm and nice. The Feline stopped hissing and narrowed its eyes in distrust. It gave a plaintive meow.

The Cator whirred, processed the Feline’s language and then communicated back: “If you mean no harm to me then why am I imprisoned in this box?”

“A good and logical question,” observed Misc. Bertlethwop. “What do you think, class?”

The Feline had calmed down and just observed them back. It licked a paw, gave a meow, and then waited.

The Cator whirred, and then: “Where I come from, boxes are the worst of offense and are only used with an intention of harm.”

“Oh!” Gweep looked embarrassed. “We’ve committed a cultural error. We must show ourselves for the kind and civilized people we are and treat this intelligent creature as a guest, not a prisoner or pet.” 

The Cator whirred and emitted a series of meows. The Feline bowed its head in acknowledgement and gave a single mew.

The Cator whirred, and then: “A reasonable mistake for a reasonable people. All is forgiven.”

Gweep looked at his teachers imploringly. “Please Misc. Bertlethwop? Please can I let it among us?”

Misc. Bertlethwop said nothing but motioned with a talon for him to proceed as he saw fit. He unlatched the glass and opened the case.

As soon as the glass box had a slight opening, the formerly docile Feline erupted in a fury of claws, teeth and fur. In shock, Gweep stepped back. The Feline flew straight at him. The metallic green Cator flew from his tentacle and shattered on the floor. The Feline attached to his face, forcing discarded fur into his air passages and kicking viciously at his neck with a collection of barbs that caused Gweep’s skin to immediately welt up and bleed. He collapsed back on the floor, wailing. Then, as soon as the attack came, the Feline went full stealth and vanished.

Misc. Bertlethwop let the lesson sink into the shocked class for a minute before reaching down to help an embattled Gweep back onto his suckers.

“Well?” Misc. Bertlethwop looked at the silenced class. “Intelligent or not?”

“Very intelligent,” wheezed Gweep through his decreased breathing capacity. A fluff of hair puffed out with his exhale.

“I agree,” said Misc. Bertlethwop. “And therefore we do no harm. Last one.”

The rest of the class moaned inaudibly. Misc. Bertlethwop snapped the glass case closed, clicked a button on their desk and the box vanished into the floor. Misc. Bertlethwop clicked a different button, and a new case popped up with a new inhabitant.

This was one they’d never seen before. Bipedal with sparse hair growing from uneven patches over a thin, pink skin and no extra appendages, or even a carapace. It beat the sides of the glass enraged, flecks of foam spattering from its apparent communication gap but only gibberish came out. Wrinkled genitalia swung exposed beneath a rotund middle. The creature had no protections, but it displayed aggressive behavior as if it were dangerous.

Misc. Bertlethwop tapped the glass with their pointer. “Well, what do you think? Intelligent or not?”

“It doesn’t look intelligent,” muttered Gweep. His neck oozed cerulean ink from a dozen razor cuts and his skin was puffing up around his optical stems.

“It doesn’t look intelligent at all, but looks can be deceiving.” Misc. Bertlethwop looked pointedly at Gweep. “Does anyone want to open the case?”

As one, the entire class moved back a step in reply. 

“Let’s try to communicate with it, shall we?” Misc. Bertlethwop opened up their desk and removed a Cator, less fancy than Gweep’s now shattered one, but just as functional. 

“Cator, identify language.”

The Cator whirred to life, again the languages of time and tempest spilling forth in a cacophony of electric utterance. The bipedal creature in the box shrieked in fear at the jumble of broken languages. The Cator mimicked the noise in several pitches before getting it exact. Above the flipped open port the words lit up in the air: Speaking Hooman. Message?

Misc. Bertlethwop leaned toward the glass and locked eyes with the creature within.

“We mean you no harm.”

Out of the Cator came a jumble of laughs, groans and wails to mimic the animal in the case. It paused, listened and then resumed kicking at the glass with bare feet, yelping and then limping around the box in apparent pain before attacking with the other foot.

“Definitely not intelligent,” whispered wish*emelex.

“Can you communicate?” asked Misc. Bertlethwop. The Cator repeated the message in Hooman. The creature paused, listened and then erupted in language and gestures that involved slapping its own hindquarters and thrusting odd digits and phalanges at the glass. 

The Cator whirred, and then translated: “I’ll show you communicate you piece of #%&$^$*^$# Martians, you crap %#^(& head mother ^#@(*&% hole wiper &^$#&%( for brains…” The Cator stopped and an error message appeared.

Misc. Bertlethwop tried again. “Calm down, please. We mean you no harm. We are merely trying to establish if you are intelligent or not. If you are intelligent, we will let you free without harm.”

The Cator whirred, and communicated this message back to the human. It listened quietly for a minute, met eyes with Misc. Bertlethwop and then waved what seemed to be a preferred digit in the air between them with defiance. 

“Are you intelligent?” asked Misc. Bertlethwop.

The Hooman waited for the Cator to whir a translation, head cocked to one side much like the Feline earlier. “It might be intelligent,” observed Gweep, interested in spite of his recent mishap. The Cator passed a message in the Hooman language. It listened, frowned and then erupted in another furious wave of rage and profane gibberish. Even Misc. Bertlethwop took a step back.

“$#^&@ aliens! I’ll show you $&*#@! And $^&*(%$ and I’ll %$#@& in your eyeholes you mother ^&%$#@ son-of-a-#$%#@!” The Hooman started throwing itself against the sides of the glass case. The class watched in silence until it settled down. Misc. Bertlethwop decided to try one last time.

“I need you to prove to me that you are sentient or you will be euthanized,” said Misc. Bertlethwop. “Do you understand euthanization? Put to sleep forever, no longer alive. Dead.”

The Hooman listened to the Cator translate. It calmly walked to the glass, turned around to show its back and bent over. 

The class leaned forward in curiosity. The Hooman placed its flexor appendages at the point where the legs joined the rear torso, pulled aside its rear quarters and slapped everything against the glass. The entire class, including Misc. Bertlethwop, recoiled in disgust. The Hooman slid its genitalia across the glass leaving a greasy streak.

“No, ugh! It has a second mouth!” Gweep had turned a pale shade of blue.

“I think it’s some sort of sucker,” cried wish*emelex.

Gweep lost his ink all over the floor. wish*emelex immediately phased without being excused. Misc. Bertlethwop wasn’t going to report the absence. This demonstration had escalated to disaster fast.

They fumbled for the specimen controller on their desk. “Definitely not intelligent,” Misc. Bertlethwop declared. “Does the class agree?”

There was a unified affirmative from the general chaos and Misc. Bertlethwop hit the removal button. From an invisible vantage point somewhere in the room the Feline yowled. The Cator whirred and translated: “If Hoomans aren’t serving Felines, they serve no purpose. They are functionally sentient at best.” 

Misc. Bertlethwop agreed and stabbed the controller a second time. The Hooman began to descend into the floor. The Cator picked up the last of the conversation before it vanished into the dark and the floor slid closed.

The Cator whirred and translated: “...my chocolate starfish, you $#@%^&!, you #$@!^& mother $%^&$#@? You like that? That’s the last #@!%$^ thing you’ll see when I…”

The class was stunned into silence. Still unseen, the cat emitted a low, rumbling noise that soothed the collectively frayed nerves of the class. It was therapeutic, Misc. Bertlethwop decided. Hoomans were undesirable, but a galactic alliance with the Felines seemed plausible.

The Cator whirred and translated the Feline again: “The value of a Hooman is in the opposable thumb. They can be trained to serve as acceptable labor. As a Feline Ambassador, I can help you set up a breeding program.”

“Sometimes science yields unpleasant results, like the Hooman,” Misc. Bertlethwop summarized. “But because we dared to explore we may have a new ally, and therefore mutual advancement.”

Gweep was propped up against a wall, tentacles splayed limp across the floor and covered in his own sick. The Feline appeared out of nowhere and curled up against his unsoiled back. Gweep instantly relaxed. His color perceptibly deepened.

“The search for intelligent life is fraught with unpleasantry,” he said thoughtfully. “But worth the discomforts.” He stroked the Feline’s forehead and it purred.

The Cator whirred: “Indeed. My people call it the survival of the wittest. The fleet shall inherit the Earth.”

From beneath them, glass shattering and a trail of incomprehensible shouting that ended at the sound of a deployed beam rang up.

Misc. Bertlethwop thought it a good place to end the day’s lesson. She needed to get the Feline to onboarding anyway. “Class dismissed early,” they announced.

Gratefully, the students filed out. That was quite enough Hooman for everyone.


March 25, 2024 04:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

44 comments

Claire Marsh
14:30 Mar 28, 2024

Such a fun read Angela. I loved it - gripped from start to finish. Your writing is tight throughout, everything serving a purpose and focused on your main USP, humour! Well done and meow 😻

Reply

20:44 Apr 02, 2024

Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. This makes my day. 🧡

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
S. E. Foley
23:55 Mar 27, 2024

Total pleasure to read. The humor was on point. I cackled a bit when you used beamed as a literal laser. I am also a proponent of cats, so the feline superiority concept always amuses me. I feel like I know the guy they captured, heh.

Reply

00:45 Mar 28, 2024

Hahahahahaha! I actually hoped someone would catch the literal beaming. As far as the guy they caught, I feel like it's too bad they caught him to represent the rest of us. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
05:26 Apr 04, 2024

Interesting story, you have a great imagination.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Fern Everton
20:30 Apr 03, 2024

That literal beaming caught me very off guard and gave me a good laugh! This is a really fun and well-done piece! Thoroughly enjoyed this! There’s also something hysterical about the Hooman likely cursing out the teacher every chance it got, haha! Awesome job!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kailani B.
00:36 Apr 03, 2024

What a fun story! The thought of an alien having a fanny pack is so unexpected and yet strangely fitting. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

18:45 Apr 03, 2024

Hahahahahaha! Yes, my idea was a school is a school, and wherever we are students are probably similar. Of course, that's what my limited Hooman brain tells me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Olivier Breuleux
04:56 Apr 02, 2024

Unfortunate that the aliens picked the average hooman as a representative, but it is what it is. Funny story :)

Reply

20:45 Apr 02, 2024

Hahahahaha! Yea, I could think of better specimens they could have chose, but at least the cat stuck up for us.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
16:19 Apr 01, 2024

Your story showed how much felines know their place in the “universe.” They have a knack of outwitting hoomans. The hooman in this case was a truly revolting specimen! Creative story.

Reply

20:45 Apr 02, 2024

Thank you! He was pretty gross... unfortunately I feel like I may have met him once or twice. :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. I. MumfoRD
13:59 Mar 31, 2024

Highly imaginative work, well executed. Memorable. good job on a consistent tone and pacing.

Reply

20:46 Apr 02, 2024

Thank you! 🧡

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:41 Mar 31, 2024

It's intentionally misleading and intentionally confusing. And 95% of the time that is successful. A small amount of the time it's just frustrating though. As we only have a week to prepare these stories, I suppose this is something you'd correct with more time to re-read and edit. But it's still quite readable. (There are many stories in this competition that are a real effort to force myself to read all the way through. This kept me going to the end.) Loved the humour, especially where you used a figure of speech, e.g. "She beamed a...

Reply

20:47 Apr 02, 2024

I did have fun with the literal beaming. I wanted to use it more but I think it would have soured it. Glad you were able to stick through the story and get some laughs from it. 🧡

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
23:06 Mar 30, 2024

Dogs live to please. Cats live to be pleased. And for the want of anger management, there he went.

Reply

20:48 Apr 02, 2024

Hahahahahaha! Yes, anger management is an important life skill he could have benefitted from.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:50 Mar 28, 2024

Oh wow, the creativity of this is incredible!

Reply

20:48 Apr 02, 2024

Thank you for making my day 🧡

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Scott Taylor
02:09 Mar 28, 2024

As a slave to three feline overlords, your glass box cage tickled me. My personal tormentors have a sunroom that they call their own, where they bask in the warm sunlight and occasionally disrupt my work by knocking things off my desk. When night falls, and it's time for them to retreat to their living quarters, a battle ensues between us. It's a strategic struggle where they no longer react to typical Pavlovian triggers. They hide in locations that are not easily reachable to us. This hooman needs its sleep, or it might resemble the creat...

Reply

20:51 Apr 02, 2024

Hahahahahahaha! Thanks for the return story about your very real overlords. We've had many cats, so the story was based on first-hand research. Right now we have dogs, a more subtle lordship, but we are servants nonetheless. I'm so glad you liked the story. Thank you! 🧡

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
LeeAnn Hively
16:40 Mar 27, 2024

I also believe we are inferior to our feline overlords. That's why I foster them along with the six that own me. This was so hilarious. The hooman was told what would happen, and he acted impervious and idiotically. Obviously a fellow American. I'm pretty sure that was Jimmy from the end of the street. Sounds just like him.

Reply

00:46 Mar 28, 2024

Yes, he was clearly warned. Thank goodness the cat was kind enough to put in a good word for our opposable thumbs. Thanks for the comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:06 Mar 27, 2024

Maybe the female version of the Hooman would have been less aggressive??? Was the use of 'know harm' instead of 'no harm' intentional? It was used twice.

Reply

00:48 Mar 28, 2024

That was a typo, so thanks for catching it. It would be interesting to write the story again, but with a female specimen. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:14 Mar 28, 2024

No. It was great as is.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shobana Gomes
12:11 Mar 27, 2024

The search for intelligence is definitely fraught with unpleasantries here. Highly imaginative and clever descriptions in this story. Well done.

Reply

00:48 Mar 28, 2024

Thank you! It was fun to write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:25 Mar 27, 2024

I love looking at humans from an alien viewpoint!. From the outside, we must not look very different than hamsters in a cage. "erupted in language and gestures that involved slapping its own hindquarters and thrusting odd digits and phalanges at the glass." haha, I can just imagine a tired biped doing after being locked up by aliens! Great story.

Reply

00:49 Mar 28, 2024

Thank you! I'd like to think that I would be all cool and intelligent, but I would probably have lost my temper as well. Hopefully I'd have calmed down when they tried to reason with me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
07:37 Mar 27, 2024

Very nicely use of imagination. Like the idea and message . Good job.

Reply

00:50 Mar 28, 2024

Thank you! It was fun to write. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
07:37 Mar 27, 2024

Very nicely use of imagination. Like the idea and message . Good job.

Reply

00:50 Mar 28, 2024

Ditto 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
07:37 Mar 27, 2024

Very nicely use of imagination. Like the idea and message . Good job.

Reply

00:52 Mar 28, 2024

More Ditto! 😂😂😂 Thank you for taking the time to read and for going above and beyond to comment three times. 🧡

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
03:27 Mar 28, 2024

I feel a little "wacky ", I did not ment to put three comments all the same at once. I guess that was "problem" with net when I post comment. It copy it thre times. Sorry for that 😅

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
06:54 Mar 27, 2024

Setting tentacles apart it seemed a regular class... I enjoyed reading it . The human character made me think what we do as an species when threatened and confronted with a dark future… this human make me laugh. Well done, liked it 😊

Reply

00:53 Mar 28, 2024

Thank you! Tentacles or fingers, it seems we are all a lot the same.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.