0 comments

Adventure Fantasy

Eleanor fly-jumped out of the car. She was going to the bank, her first job. The bank's owner, Mrs. Smith, liked Eleanor and accepted her as a banker. The bank building was tall, with very clean mirrors. The building looked so professional and cool and Eleanor felt like she was fitting in. When she looked up, she saw that the building looked so tall, she thought it will touch the sky. The building was majestic, and Eleanor thought it was one of the most beautiful building in the world. Eleanor walked to the bank doorway. It was very peculiar, with its rotating doors. But Eleanor, who was too excited, just weaved through the doors easily. All the people looked at her as she bounded up the stairs to the elevator. she didn't seem to care about the people's stares. She just went up the stairs and went to an empty elevator. Her fingers automatically dragged themselves to the elevator button '29'. Wow, that's a big number. And I have to work there? Terrifying. Eleanor started to enjoy this. "WOOHOO!" She screamed when the elevator doors closed. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the elevator stopped in the middle of floor '25'. The light of the elevator suddenly flickered, on and off, and then back again. She heard a distant scream saying, "POWER CUT!". Suddenly Eleanor saw a sign stuck on the elevator's wall saying this: Elevator out of service. Please use the other elevator.

Now that's what I need. UGH. In a fury, Eleanor snatched the paper out of the wall and she tore it apart until the leftover paper bits was floating down the elevator's floor. Suddenly she got an idea. She took out her phone and tried to call her boss. But all that came out was beep, Mrs. Smith is currently not available. Please leave a message. "AAH! SO IRRITATING! HELP! HELP, HELP!" she screamed. No reply. Eleanor, with a sob, buried her face in her hands. Slowly, she went into a crouch. Sobs filled the elevator. Eleanor started to lose hope when she saw something blinding before her eyes. "uh?" she whispered softly. The blinding light soon took the picture of a beautiful girl with white hair. The being's almond-coloured eyes stared at Eleanor kindly, and her dress flowed like a waterfall. The most peculiar thing was the being's wings. The wings were white, and they looked like a butterfly's wings. At the wing's tip it curled beautifully, and Eleanor thought she was too beautiful and shiny that her eyes may not recover. "Dear, dear Eleanor. What a mess you're in. You now need a little help, dear Eleanor,"

the being said. "How do you know my name?" Eleanor choked out between sobs. "What do you want with me?"

The being just smiled and said, "Help will come, my dear. Just ride the fire-breath dragon home,"

Now Eleanor was listening. "What?"

But the being already left. Must be a hallucination from my own imagination. Oh god, I am so homesick. Once I am home- I doubt that- I will never enter an elevator for as long as I live.

When suddenly, the elevator shaked. Everything was quiet. nothing moved. A blinding light encircled the elevator, and poor Eleanor had had enough. Her hair was now wild; but she didn't care. Eleanor got up, her eyes wide with terror. A red dragon with scales the colour of blood was standing in front of her very eyes. I guess this isn't my imagination after all. The dragon stared at her for a very long time. Eleanor just stood there, frozen, wondering, "why is this happening to me? I am innocent!" a thousand times. Finally the dragon sighed. The red creature just stared at Eleanor and took a step forward. There goes, I am going to be eaten. Bye bye world.

But instead of eating her, the dragon looked at her and turned its head towards the elevator door. It breathed a burst of fire right at the door. Eleanor squeezed her eyes shut. The moment she opened them, the dragon was gone, the door was open, and some people, along with her boss was there. All the people stepped forward ad carried her out the lift. Eleanor sighed contently. "Saved finally."

Saying this, Eleanor's eyes squeezed shut and she slept throughout the journey, dreaming of dragons and fairies and other mythical creatures. By the time she reached her house, it was nighttime. Her mother was so relieved to see her at home, and when Eleanor told her tale, her mother's eyes turned from innocent, to blood curling horror. Eleanor finished her tale saying that she finally was safe, but she did leave one detail. She didn't tell about the dragon and the butterfly like being. When she ate her dinner, she got more hugs and kisses for her family telling her to be safe, and lectures saying, "YOU SHOULD HAVE CLICKED THE BELL BUTTON. THEN YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN SAFE...".

Eleanor finally went to sleep. The next day, Her mother didn't want her to leave. After much pleading, she finally went to the bank, her nightmare now, the building where everything started, getting stuck in an elevator....and meeting the being. she went straight to the 29th floor (by stairs) and told to Mrs. Smith that she wanted to quit. "Where will you go now?" Mrs. Smith asked.

"well, I will become a fire fighter.....to save people who get trapped in buildings, amongst fire, who cry for help but get non,"

Now, in the year 2020, she works as a firefighter, saving people from fires. She feels happy doing this, saving people who had the same fate as Eleanor's. She never forgot about the fairy and the dragon, and she never met them but she still remembers about the day they saved her. If you ever find a kind firefighter, and she says, "Somebody saved me once, and I want to thank her,"

you should know its Eleanor.

The End.

September 08, 2020 14:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.