You Think You Can Handle The Truth

Submitted into Contest #254 in response to: Write a story where an important conversation takes place during a dance.... view prompt

28 comments

Fiction Fantasy

You Think You Can Handle The Truth?


You know the story, right?

The maiden, downtrodden by a stepmother and stepsisters. The maiden who somehow makes it to the ball. You know that one. Of course you do. The maiden, beautiful beyond belief, sorely abused after her father’s disappearance. The maiden who gets help from none other than a fairy god mother. Can you hear the snark in my voice? Down here in the kitchen we don’t take stock in magic, I tell you. We don’t have any pennies to lose on wagers like that.


So, you get it. The story isn’t quite like what you’ve been told.


Oh, I made it to the ball, but mother-dear and my sisters and I were just four of the many hired hands, recruited at less than minimum wage, I might add. The Count who was hosting the party simply didn’t have enough people on his regular staff. So, all the girls and women from the village were dragged to the castle to serve. And we did. We fetched drinks and carried trays. Turned meat on the spit and worked our butts off for a penny or two.


It was late in the evening; most guests were more than sloshed. I was coming back from the large ball room, on my way to the kitchen to get more food, when I ran into this guy. He was a bit tossed. Slightly weaving. How he got lost in the servants’ section, I don’t know, but I figured I’d better steer him back to the toffs, you know.


“Sir.” I murmured. “You seem to be lost. Please come with me.” I tried to turn him around, but he would have none of it. The music from the Great Hall could still be heard in that hallway.


“Dance with me.” I’m not sure, still, after all these years, still not sure if it was an order or a plea. But I like a good rhythm and with the right partner, I can cut quite a rug, yes, sir. So, I let him wrap himself around me. Hah, half the time I wasn’t sure who was leading who. I told you he was a bit squishy, right?


“You smell divine.” He told me. “You dance like an angel.” He declared. “You sound like a siren.” He asserted when I hummed along with the dulcimer. “You look heaven-sent.” Then he kissed me! Oh, boy! I can tell you that he was and still is a really good kisser. Really good. Och…


“What’s your name, my heavenly angel?” He asked when the music stopped, and I turned toward the kitchen. I told him. Really, what are the chances that I’d ever see him again, right?


“Don’t leave, my love. Come away with me.” He urged.


Before I had a chance to point out that I was merely a servant girl, a seamstress’ daughter, the curtain at the end of the hall parted and a booming voice told him to come back and play his next hand.


“Alas, my angel. Till tomorrow. I will find you then.”


Yeah, my foot, I thought and went on to the kitchen to help with the washing up.


It was sunrise before we left the castle and shuffled with the other villagers to our homes. I believe I would have slept the day away if it hadn’t been for needing to milk the goat. Before suppertime, the news had spread that there was this young bloke, some said he was a prince, who was looking for a fair maiden.


Well, you can see, my hair is pitch black, so I shrugged and went about my business. More fetching water, more carrying firewood, stoking hearths, baking bread, and such basic tasks. My mother and sisters, who are blond, went to the town square to see what the hubbub was all about.


They came back quite late and the dinner I had worked so hard on had dried to a brick. For once they didn’t seem to notice. They were all excited. Yes, they told me, there is this man, who claimed to be a prince. They told me that he told all who'd listen that he had danced with the most beautiful, sweetest woman he had ever met and needed, not wanted mind you, need to meet her again.


I’ll admit, my heart did a little two step. I mean what are the chances that it was the same tipsy guy? And then again, did I want to be an angel to a drunkard?


Have you ever been in your cups? I bet you have, once or twice, right? The world looks better then, doesn’t it? All maidens are fair, all blokes are gentlemen. Am I right? I know, I am.


And then the next morning you think ‘What the …?”


So, I didn’t put much stock in the declarations of a man with a hangover.


But the rumors did not die down. According to Madge, the butcher’s wife, this gent was going from house to house, meeting all the gals. Holy Mary! I thought. Well, no. I thought a few other things, but you won’t print those. How long would it take this sot to get to my stepmother’s house? For, yes. That part is true. She’s my stepmother, Lucille and Esmeralda are my stepsisters. Lovely gals, just lovely. A bit lazy, but sweet, sort of.


How long did I have to hide?


Why, you ask, do I want to hide? I’ve worked more than my fair share of Saturdays at the tavern. I’ve seen men imbibe just a tad too much and lose all sense of propriety. If it weren’t for Gorgo, none of the gals who work there could still call themselves gals, if you know what I mean.


Days passed, a week. I started to relax. He must have given up. Realized that he had been a bit too far over the limit and imagined his angel.


But I was wrong. Well, of course, you know I was wrong.


It was ten, maybe twelve days after the ball that his footman knocked on my stepmother’s door. Of course, she let him in. I was busy in the kitchen, my domain, but heard the commotion. He wanted to meet all the daughters of the house, so Lucy and Esme donned their best frocks and paraded in front of him.


“Nah,” he sighed. I was listening at the door. Of course, I was. What chit would not, I ask you?


”There are no more young ladies in the house?” he asked my stepmother.


“Well …”


I tried to outwait her hesitation. I really did. Had all intensions of returning to the kitchen when Janus thrust the tea tray in my hands. He reached around me, opened the door and all but shoved me into the drawing room.


And the rest is history.


Though neither the brothers Grimm nor Mr. Disney got the tale perfectly correct; our Happily Ever After has lasted for more than 250 years and counting. He's still charming and handsome and still believes I'm sweet and beautiful.



June 12, 2024 23:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

Daniel R. Hayes
19:45 Jun 20, 2024

Ooooohhhh!!! I loved this one. Of course, I did...lol. You always put out such good stories every single week! Pretty soon, you'll have a whole library on here. You are that prolific!!!! :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:09 Jun 20, 2024

Thank you, Daniel. I'm glad you liked it. Not a Disney Cindy, and not a Grimm Cindy. A Trudy Cindy. 😅

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
01:37 Jun 20, 2024

My foot! Hahahaha, brilliant! Spot on with the voice throughout. Loved this, Trudy.

Reply

Trudy Jas
02:09 Jun 20, 2024

Thank you, Carol. Had to have a little fun with miss Cindy. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
01:48 Jun 17, 2024

Hey Trudy, I love your contemporary take on the Brothers Grimm and breaking that fourth wall - such a well judged tone and fun story to read. I wonder how it would work if you set it in modern times and made references to the current political shenanigans. For instance, feature a roguish real-estate mogul searching a village in Slovenia for his bride to be and promising her the world. I’m not sure that would have a happy ending, but might make an amusing cautionary tale about being careful what you wish for….. :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
02:31 Jun 17, 2024

Thanks, Howard. Ha! You have no idea how many times and how many ways I tried to re-write Grimm. or Disney, for that matter. I either ended up way dark, as in a Master - slave relationship, or all hearts and flowers. Not that I have anything against the former, but Reedsy may. LOL. I figured she's been holding strong for all these years on paper, why not let her tell the story. I visualized her doing a one-woman show at the magic castle at any of the Disney parks. LOL.

Reply

Howard Halsall
03:08 Jun 17, 2024

Hmmm…. Now then, the one-woman show sounds intriguing and definitely has legs :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
02:42 Jun 15, 2024

Magic was used in this story. Magical spirits. 🤣 Your tone is fun to read. And yes, I do indulge in dad-jokes. 😂

Reply

Trudy Jas
03:25 Jun 15, 2024

Thank you, Daniel. :-) Magic makes the world palatable, right? I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:11 Jun 14, 2024

Quite intriguing. A hang-on-to-every-sentence, read-to-the-last-word story. Fantasy stories always have a bit of excitement, and this one certainly did. I loved every word of this story.

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:18 Jun 14, 2024

Wow! Thank you. High praise indeed. :-) I've always been a sucker for Cinderella. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
19:18 Jun 14, 2024

Fun. At first I winced at some of the "modernisms," but then that became part of the enjoyment. I'm a Regency fanatic, you see, and really, minimum wage??? No, seriously, this is a hoot. Love your writing.

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:09 Jun 14, 2024

Thank you, Bevery. Glad you enjoyed it. I figured the good lady is still around. She must have picked up a phrase or two. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:26 Jun 13, 2024

They do say that Fairy Stories may have basis in fact. Yours sounds much more realistic. Loved it. I also mentioned Cinderella in my story, but she is a badly behaved one. Looove your Cinderella. I initially felt deflated, finding out she made it to the ball . . . but as a servant in the kitchen! Your cynical, pessimism is so cool in this story! One little point - space between 'the' and '200' "more the250 years a". You have time to fix it.

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:54 Jun 13, 2024

Thanks, will do. And thank for the wonderful comments. Did you know that in the original sleeping beauty her lover (not so much a prince) found her sleeping in the woods and "made use of her". The kid that was born of that one-sided fest, pulled the poison flax thread from her finger, waking her. Talk about single parent and dead-beat father. (He supposedly, made good in the end.) So, yes, fairy tales are even worse than the Grimm version.

Reply

23:53 Jun 13, 2024

LOL. And some of the Grimm ones are grim!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
18:03 Jun 13, 2024

Adorable !! I thought this was going to go the Gregory Macguire way and be in the POV of a stepsister. This is even more interesting ! Lovely bite to the tone. Splendid work !

Reply

Trudy Jas
19:07 Jun 13, 2024

Thank you, Alexis. A bite? Who, me? Never! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
13:32 Jun 13, 2024

May I have this dance for the rest of our lives ❤️?

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:37 Jun 13, 2024

:-) Thanks, Mary

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
08:47 Jun 13, 2024

Of course, I like this story. That's kind of my thing. Wish I remembered to use that story for the prompt. Nicely done.

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:42 Jun 13, 2024

Thank you, Darvico, for your lovely words. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Scott Taylor
01:56 Jun 13, 2024

Your voice, personality, and sense of humor are certainly there. I love how you broke the fourth wall, which is fun and makes the story more immersive. ITs funny when you mention two step. Years ago I used to teach country western dance. Talk with you soon.

Reply

Trudy Jas
02:09 Jun 13, 2024

Thanks, Scott. Appreciate your comments and feedback. Um, yes, had to use two step, not sure if my heart knows how to do the gavotte. LOL

Reply

21:29 Jun 13, 2024

'gavotte' - that's from "you're so vain" by Carly Simon. Used due to the way it rhymed with other endings in the song. What about Cotillion, Quadrille, Reel, Pavane or Minuet. A two step is a country dance. In keeping with her station, I suppose. Had to chip in, sorry.

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:47 Jun 13, 2024

Sweetie pie, I doubt I can do the two step, let alone all the other dances you mentioned. But I'll get back to you, if/when any of my MC's has to demolish some (male) toes with anything more complicated than the shag or twist. LOL

Reply

21:51 Jun 13, 2024

LOL. You are welcome. I never learned those other olden day dances. But I did Ballroom and Latin American dancing for years.

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:03 Jun 13, 2024

Yeah, I did too. My brother had a permanent limp after that year. ;}

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.