60 comments

American Asian American Science Fiction

“To convict you of assault they have to prove you’re a wizard, so you’re going to be fine.” Billie holds my shoulder and gaze with the intent of Medusa. “You just have to stop using your powers and they have nothing.” Her smile is my get out of jail free card. I look twice, worried it’s expired.

“I’m not sure I can. I’ve never gone this long without using them.” My voice shakes. I’m sweating. “What if they need to be let out? What if they overflow? I don’t want to hurt you or our daughter.”

“Tina will be fine. You won’t hurt her.” She turns her gaze to our angel. Snoring through a snotty nose with the sound of a kitten purring. Everything I’ve done in life has led me to her.

“You can’t know that. My power, the things it could do to her. I could wipe her mind clean. I love her. I can’t risk that.” My hands claw and clench. The thought of hurting my little chatterbox in any way makes my blood run cold.

“You’re not Elsa for fuck’s sake,” Billie whispers. “Stop watching Frozen. Let it go.” She pecks me on the cheek. It’s the most intimate moment we’ve had in a while. “Stop thinking of your power like a curse. It helped me.” She’s not reassuring me now. She’s angry. I’ve crossed a border in her head. Another invisible line. Her temper has been pinkie short since Tina was born.

“I’m going to bed, Xander. Stay up brooding if you want but you’ll be doing it alone.” There’s no winning once she’s angry. If I follow now I’m treading on her toes. If I wait she’ll be annoyed at me later. She picks up Tina, who acknowledges the transition with a turn of her tiny head, eyes closed. Tina drops into Billie’s shoulder, home and happy. I remember the feeling.

Photos of us line the walls. I see smiles she used to give me. Tina gets those now. Maybe I’m exaggerating but that’s how it feels. I’ve been replaced. I read that it’s normal for relationships to go downhill for a while after the birth of a child. None of them ever say how long it lasts. I’ve been in the dog house since Tina was born and sometimes I don’t want to come home at all. I know a lot of that’s in my head.

Cleaning keeps me busy. There are toys scattered everywhere. Billie has vague categories for them that I never get right. One box is labeled gross motor skills. Another is fine motor skills. One is Anpanman, filed with things from Japan and the weird cartoon Tina loves. The main character feeds bits of himself to others when they’re unhappy. Pointing out the cannibalism element is another way to piss Billie off.

When the toys are safely stored in the wrong boxes I sweep up the crumbs of Tina’s breakfast, lunch and dinner. A blueberry is mashed into the interlocking foam tiles that protect our baby from the wooden floor over the concrete beneath. I scrub out the fruit remembering days when my only problems were whether I could outsmart violent criminals long enough to take the memories that make them dangerous.

Now I’m a baker. Up at four in the morning, leave the house at five. Start at six. Finish at four. Home by five. It’s good exercise but it’s tedious. Bread, bread and more bread. Shifting boxes of frozen product all day is exhausting. I never knew what back pain was until now. Folding the bags for hundreds of loaves a day hurts my fingers.

I fold the dry washing that hangs from strings between rafters. Black trousers for work, faded knees. Any old T-shirt beneath my chef's whites. The company washes them at least. I need a raise or more hours. I was lucky to get an extra two a day. There’s no chance they’ll let me work sixty a week.

Billie needs to go back to work but that means we need daycare for Tina which might cost more than Billie makes anyway. Our little girl is happy. She’s talkative. I don’t want to ruin that. Spending a year with her mother has done wonders for her. I couldn’t ask for a better mother for my daughter. I look forward to some balance though. Maybe if Billie is working I can be the one Tina runs to half the time. Maybe Billie will know what it feels like when Tina wants to hug me not her.

All the clothes are folded away. I’ll be told I didn’t fold them properly in the morning. I crawl into bed next to my queen and princess. They’re both snoring. Tina has her feet to the edge of the bed. I push her towards Billie to squeeze in along the edge. I turn my back. At some point in the night Tina’s fists or feet will crash into my head. Better the back of my head than my face.

It’s cold. I’m tired. I’m lonely. Work tomorrow means I can at least talk while I shift boxes and bag bread. As long as I’m moving fast enough my workmate is happy. It’s sad to feel more appreciated there than at home. Billie’s just busy being the best mother ever. Tina smiles and talks more than any girl her age. The confusing bit is when she talks Japanese because she’s been spending so much time with Billie’s parents. When she wants something she points it out in Japanese and that’s going to take some getting used to.

I suggested running away to Tokyo where Billie still has family. She says it’s stupid to uproot our whole lives when the police can’t possibly arrest me. I wish I had her confidence in the incompetence of the police. I should. My father got away with murder for decades.

Why am I thinking about that? I need to sleep. Tina kicks me in the back then rolls over. Her head brushes mine as she sighs. Her hair is the softest I’ve ever known.

“Aishiteru yo bijin,” I whisper as I kiss her. Her arms open into a crucifix pose. I smell her apple scented shampoo as I fall asleep with Tina cradled in my arm.

December 27, 2023 18:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

60 comments

Philip Ebuluofor
18:03 Jan 09, 2024

This has your true family life oozing from it. This your life you turned into tale here, right?

Reply

Graham Kinross
05:33 Jan 10, 2024

Yes. Heavily borrowed from my life.

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
13:46 Jan 13, 2024

I can see that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
17:21 Dec 31, 2023

I remember some earlier Xander stories, where the focus was on horrible people and tearing their memories out. This kind of “down time” story is a nice contrast, but it also fits thematically. I suspect once upon a time, he thought life was simple: just go around using mind-witchery to clean up the streets. Then it was a little more complicated, with Billie in his life, but they'd be happy and in love forever. Then things changed again, with Tina. There seems to be a theme here, where Xander is lost and no longer sure of his footing, and t...

Reply

Graham Kinross
19:01 Dec 31, 2023

I imagine the police struggle to pin crimes on the more intelligent criminals the way the world struggles to hold certain world leaders to account because they have nuclear weapons at their disposal or scary friends in their corner. Xander’s life is definitely getting more complicated. Relationship issues, parenthood and money issues. All of the joys of adulthood. Thanks for reading and commenting Michał.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
18:20 Dec 29, 2023

The blend of the supernatural and utterly credible domestic routine is brilliant. I enjoyed the cultural details and insights. When you explore a genre, you never lose track of the human element, which makes your fiction stand out over the long parade of cookie-cutter shit. Well-done as always!

Reply

Graham Kinross
18:40 Dec 29, 2023

Thanks Martin. I started heavily with the mythology and the powers in this series and the background and the humanity has been taking over since.

Reply

Martin Ross
21:37 Dec 29, 2023

And Arthas and Longbow are powerful and empathetic characters as a result, adding dimension to the narrative. Dodge is simply a well-meaning Dostoyefskyian fool, as a friend once called me. Mighta liked something more Quixote-ish, but it’s the microaggressive thought that counts.

Reply

Graham Kinross
07:13 Dec 30, 2023

Start something new with a new character? I keep doing that by accident because I have an idea that doesn’t work for the characters I have already.

Reply

Martin Ross
15:12 Dec 30, 2023

Jesus and Yu are in the Dodge I’m doing for the next prompt, but I’m already realizing they need a standalone to give them a real personality. Curtis is easy because he’s based on an old high school pal. Might give the Dodges a short winter, and come up with a nice slam-bam cop procedural for J&Y or a black comedy crime thing for Treena.

Reply

Graham Kinross
06:45 Dec 31, 2023

I look forward to reading it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
09:47 Dec 29, 2023

I sense a relationship dynamic shift for these two. It’s funny how a new baby makes waves in any established routine and relationship. It’s hard to be more useful at work than at home, especially as he thinks that everything he does do is going to be criticised. You have captured this phase of a relationship so well, the questioning, the lack of communication and energy that is expended to keep body and soul together. A great insight into the mind of a new father.

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:26 Dec 29, 2023

Thanks Michelle. The parenting elements of this were easy to write.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
10:32 Dec 29, 2023

I suppose I hear the voice of recent experience?

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:54 Dec 29, 2023

My daughter is that age just now. She’s a master of bed-fu.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
11:10 Dec 29, 2023

Haha, bed-fu. Love it. Mine are all grown, hang in there, one day you will miss it.

Reply

Graham Kinross
11:17 Dec 29, 2023

I miss it on the days I’m out of favour. She’s mastered “No,” and uses it to choose her mum over me all the time. I envy my wife being the favourite parent but I understand why she is.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jessie Laverton
09:40 Dec 28, 2023

It's nice to know wizards struggle as much as we do with these things. Amazing isn't it how much space a small baby can take up in the middle of a bed. Really felt the strain he was under, very relatable. My son is older now but this brought it all back!

Reply

Graham Kinross
14:40 Dec 28, 2023

Babies seem to come with their full “presence” as though they’re already taking up an adult portion of the bed. Then they start spinning in the middle of the night to push mum and dad further off the bed. It’s an incredible skill.

Reply

Jessie Laverton
11:49 Dec 29, 2023

Totally agree. I really felt the restricted space when he lay down on the edge of the bed. I remember those midnight kicks in the back.

Reply

Graham Kinross
11:55 Dec 29, 2023

I bet you miss them?

Reply

Jessie Laverton
12:03 Dec 29, 2023

Would you believe it? :-)

Reply

Graham Kinross
12:43 Dec 29, 2023

I do. I’m dreading the day she wants a bed of her own even though I look forward to it at times. It’ll be another round of odd loneliness that I’d never thought about before.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hazel Ide
00:36 Dec 28, 2023

Great strange first sentence! Now I’ll go back and read the start of your story, it hooked me :)

Reply

Graham Kinross
06:02 Dec 28, 2023

Thanks Hazel.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:29 Dec 28, 2023

Great continuation piece. Family life.

Reply

Graham Kinross
06:02 Dec 28, 2023

Thanks Mary.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. D. Lair
19:32 Dec 27, 2023

Aside from the magic part, this is so relatable to my life right now it’s freaky haha. Great read Graham! I’m curious what his powers are and how he’d accidentally killed someone with them. 🤔

Reply

Graham Kinross
19:52 Dec 27, 2023

Thanks, this was more about fatherhood than the powers the series started with. This is part of a series that started here: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/qt7692/

Reply

J. D. Lair
21:07 Dec 27, 2023

Awesome! I’ll check the series out. Thanks!

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:15 Dec 27, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cassie Finch
09:31 Jan 12, 2024

Damn this was cute, especiellt by your standards. When did you mellow?

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:42 Jan 12, 2024

I haven’t. I’m just saving up the bad times for characters in my other series. Xander is more like me as the story goes on so I’m writing his life to fit with mine. Thanks as always for reading and commenting Cassie.

Reply

Cassie Finch
09:41 Jan 18, 2024

You're welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aoi Yamato
01:22 Jan 09, 2024

good to see Xander again. he is doing well.

Reply

Graham Kinross
03:01 Jan 09, 2024

Yeah. Family life. Means I can write from my own experience.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
00:52 Jan 10, 2024

you are baker? with a child?

Reply

Graham Kinross
05:35 Jan 10, 2024

I was a baker and I am a father.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
00:46 Jan 11, 2024

that is good. did you like to baking?

Reply

Graham Kinross
01:32 Jan 11, 2024

It was good exercise but I was mostly moving frozen bread from boxes into ovens so it wasn’t a skill I could use at home. It would have been nice to learn what my colleague called ‘proper baking’ like mixing ingredients and turning the mix into pastries and bread.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
06:11 Mar 24, 2024

So familiar feelings in this story. So true emotions. Kept me glued till the end. Well done.

Reply

Graham Kinross
07:27 Mar 24, 2024

Thanks Darvico.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:45 May 06, 2024

Definitely a firm basis in humanity with this story. A part of something much bigger. The wiping of criminal connivings. Loved this. The bit about tidying the toys into the wrong boxes made me laugh. My husband came home one evening and got the shock of his life. "What happened?" My reply, "It's not what happened, it's what didn't happen. I haven't had time to tidy up after playtime today." I don't know why he imagined that no mess can be made with an active toddler in the home. The bit about sharing a bed with your child. LOL - cute. The ...

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:18 May 06, 2024

Bed-fu is a deadly art. I think I was kicked in the jaw last night.

Reply

02:27 May 06, 2024

Time for a king-sized bed, I believe.

Reply

Graham Kinross
03:15 May 06, 2024

Unfortunately we don’t have the space for that in our room. I need to sleep with my back to my daughter I guess.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
21:44 May 03, 2024

Nice way to weave truth and fiction, Xander Kinross. How is the novel coming?

Reply

Graham Kinross
04:02 May 04, 2024

I finished another big edit recently so I’m taking another break. I want to go through individual character arcs next to see that they don’t contradict themselves. I get one last run through with the editor I hired so I want to make the most of it without him suggesting stuff I could see myself. Good luck with your poetry.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L M
21:37 Apr 19, 2024

Cute.

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:24 May 06, 2024

Thanks LM.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.