2 comments

Fantasy Gay Fiction

  Sage wasn't accustomed to receiving gifts.

He was used to people holding out their hands and expecting things from him due to his truthful tongue which only made for toxic company. While some say his truth telling tongue was a blessing, he believed it to be an un-useful nuisance. He wasn't used to compliments, or people getting to know him, but he was especially not accustomed to gifts from Ruen.

The High courts son was unbearable. Sage would rather die than actually have to thank an utterly disgustingly handsome being like Ruen. Yet here he was. 

  Sage was certain the only reason he had received a gift was to keep the peace.

  Sage hated fake gratitude.

  Sage thanked his sister Sophia plenty of times, yet somehow it seemed as if sauntering up and muttering the simple words "thank you," to the twenty year old heir wasn't enough.

In Sage's experience, it never was. Nothing ever was.

 Yet here he stood. Sage chugged down the last of his red wine as Sophia raised an eyebrow next to him. 

 "Dear brother, you aren't asking for his hand in marriage," she scoffed bewildered. Sage nearly gagged on his drink.

Sophia wouldn't understand. She was beautiful, and kind and showing gratitude was by far more genuine from her than it was from Sage.

 "I don't want to hear it from you" Sage whispered fiercely as they made there way through the crowd of ballgowns and tuxes. Ruen sat next to his Father at the head of the room, his throne as dark and intimidating as their entire family. Sage hated them, and he hated showing gratitude to the few people who suddenly remembered his birthday a few days before. 

 Out of all the people, it had to be Ruen to thank.

 Just Sages luck.

 He hadn't realized he was sweating at his brow, and the tiny box he was carrying nearly slipped out of his hands. 

 Sage wasn't sure why he was nervous, but he was positive the wine would kick in any moment. He thought it had to do with the High Courts son, sitting lazily back on his throne as his eyes raked over everyone in the crowd. Unimpressed and unmoving.

  He was just as deceptive as his father.

  Maybe that was why Sage was sweating.

  Or maybe it was the fact that as much as Sage despised Ruen, it unnerved him that he was grateful for the present. The light blue sapphires matched Sages eyes, and they were almost as pretty as the rubies glimmering off chandeliers around them. The earrings were, nonetheless, beautiful. And Sage was grateful. He had wished to save up for a pair of earrings just like these, and he had received them.

 He just hated that such a wonderous present could come from someone so venomous.

 And the worse part of it all, Ruen had given a matching pair to Sophia. And as much as Sage hated Ruen, he loved his sister more.

 Bastard.

  He hoped Ruen would enjoy the present. But not too much. 

Sage truthfully didn't even know how to thank Ruen. His tongue would certainly stop him from being too over exaggerating, yet he had to seem genuine.

"What do I even say?" Sage mused out loud.

"Sage, have you never said a simple thank you?" Sophia questioned sarcastically.

"This is not the same,"

"It quite literally is the same as every other time,"

But it wasn't, and Sage knew it. Sophia could probably sense his anxiety and sighed.

"You don't have to sound like you mean it," Sophia paused and lowered her voice as they began to approach the bottom of the steps. Sages heart skipped reluctantly. "You just have to say it," Sophia stated easily.

Sage didn't even think he could do that, but he had to. For his own sister, he would do anything.

Their were four steps in total, yet it felt like Sage was running in a dream by how slow the time moved. With every step, he could feel the heat of Ruens gaze on him, probably enjoying watching him stumble over the first stair. Once they arrived just in front of the family, they bowed, making sure to keep their heads and bodies bent low until someone released them.

Sage could hear them whispering for some time before they did and it took every nerve in Sage not to say fucking finally.

He could feel the heat of Ruens gaze on the back of his neck as his father spoke.

"You may rise. Lovely to see you both again," His father looked smug as Sage and Sophia lifted their heads to meet his eyes, but the first person Sage locked eyes with was Ruen.

Ruen winked, and Sage thought about turning right back around to the safety of the wine bar.

"You received our gifts?" Ruen questioned, smiling at the earrings hanging low on Sage's neck.

"Yes your Highness!" Sophia spoke excitedly. "We love them," she spared a look at Sage and knocked his arm.

"We are very grateful for them," Sage spoke through gritted teeth. "We hope you will accept this present as a token of our appreciation," As Sage held out the present, he released a breath he hadn't realized he had been holding.

There it was done.

But somehow Sage didn't feel any better.

Sophia was smiling, so he supposed he did alright, yet the way Ruens father scrutinized the gift made Sage have second thoughts. Ruen gladly took it from his hand, a finger brushing Sages.

Sage wanted to bite his finger off.

Yet something pained Sage as he watched Ruen stare at the gift. He was confused, pained and yet happy all at once? Sage tried hard to read his facial expressions, and if Sage hadn't known better, he could have sworn this was Ruens first time receiving a genuine gift, also.

Just like Sage.

Ruen opened his mouth, but no snarky comment or even words came out. Ruen was speechless, and Sage was too.

But maybe this was what Ruen needed.

Maybe Sage needed it more.

August 03, 2024 03:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Molly Milsom
22:10 Aug 07, 2024

A good read! Could feel Sage’s anxiety! I loved the dialogue too

Reply

Show 0 replies
David Sweet
22:37 Aug 06, 2024

Sometimes you have to kill kindness with kindness. Welcome to Reedsy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.