A Change that Changed Everything that was to be Changed

Submitted into Contest #100 in response to: Write about a character preparing a meal for somebody else.... view prompt

56 comments

Contemporary Creative Nonfiction Urban Fantasy

You sit down to eat dinner. Your pet dog by your side and a video-conference with your family ready to take place soon, you feel that this day can never get better. After all, this is one of the last days you spend here in this country. Your business is slow and you decide to go back home.




You take a bite of the food, the food that you relish and serve to your customers with pride, or rather, SERVED.




Within a minute, you start to mindlessly eat your food and your mind wanders off. It starts to go to your hometown, the place where you started your journey.




It wanders to your school, down the memory lane, right to one class. English.




You always liked English. The stories, poems and especially the writing part.




A poem strikes your brain, you did this in 11th grade.




The Laburnum Top, by Ted Hughes.


The Laburnum Top is silent, quite still

in the afternoon yellow September sunlight,

A few leaves yellowing, all its seeds fallen


Till the goldfinch comes, with a twitching chirrup

A suddeness, a startlement,at a branch end

Then sleek as a lizard, and alert and abrupt,

She enters the thickness,and a machine starts up

Of chitterings, and of tremor of wings,and trillings -

The whole tree trembles and thrills

It is the engine of her family.

She stokes it full, then flirts out to a branch-end

Showing her barred face identity mask


Then with eerie delicate whistle-chirrup whisperings

She launches away, towards the infinite


And the laburnum subsides to empty




You remember the question your teacher gave you to answer. And answer you did!




"By changing nothing, nothing changes. Is change good or bad in life?"




You had answered it so beautifully, if you must say so. So beautifully that you felt that you could achieve anything that you wanted after that.




You wrote in your legible, but not exactly beautiful writing, "Change is omnipresent and it is inevitable in one's life and in this world. Without change like day and night, summer and winter, our lives would be meaningless, monotonous and in short, non-existent. Change is the force that drives one forward, to do better and to be better. Without the onset of dusk, we don't appreciate the day and without the arrival of dawn, there is no importance of the night in our lives. Similarly, in the poem, 'The Laburnum Top' by Ted Hughes, the tree is silent and empty at first. But as the Goldfinch comes, the excitement of the events makes the tree lively. At the end, the tree becomes lifeless again when the Goldfinch leaves. This tells us the importance of change, both good and bad as it helps us to improve ourselves and to adapt to new situations. In a nutshell, change is the basic necessity of life without which no one can survive and it is the only thing constant in one's lives."




You laugh. "Oh my goodness! How do I remember all of this? And that too so precisely?"




Your dog looks at you with its puppy-dog eyes. You realize that it is hungry and you feed him some of the leftovers.




You hear a bell.




It's not your phone, you check and think.




You realize that it is the doorbell, or rather, the restaurant bell. Your face lits up. This is the first customer you have got in ages!




Smiling, you go over to where they are seated and hand them the menu.




It is only AFTER you give them the menu that you recognize them. It's the world-renowned author, Bheem Singh. You say, "Sir, it is such a pleasure to meet you. What can I get for you?"




"I'd like a piece of your famous chocolate cake with a side of vanilla ice-cream, please."




"H-How'd you know that? We've stopped serving it for ages. Well, no problem. I'll bring it to you anyways."




"Yeah. I used to come here to write. I actually wrote my first novel right here. It's so sad that you're going to shut it down..."




"Oh! I didn't know that."




"Yes."



You go into the kitchen, away from Bheem's eyes and think out loud, 'Wow! I am really lucky! I just baked a cake yesterday and here Bheem Singh, the world-famous author comes in and asks for it.'



You bring in the cake and the ice-cream. "Now, sir, which toppings would you like?"



"Please, call me Bheem. And I'll have caramel sauce over it, thank you."



"Sure, Bheem." You pour the sauce over the dish and serve it to your esteemed customer.



"Um,", he says between mouthfuls, "please do sit, after all, it is your restaurant."



You sit down beside him, thinking. Finally, you gather the courage and ask, "If you don't mind, I've got a question."



"Sure. Shoot away."



"I never saw you here. Then howcome you're saying that you came here?"



"When you are still undiscovered, people usually don't notice you. Wait a minute." He takes out his phone and scrolls the screen.



"Here you go. See this person in the background of all these students? That's me. This is my class photo. I was very shy and didn't have many friends then."



"Oh! I remember this class. I had to spend the whole night cleaning up after this party. Wait! This kid, YOU, you were the one who helped me clean up that night. You're the NICE kid!"



He blushes slightly, "Yes, that was me."



"Now I recognize you."



"Yes."



After a long pause, he says, "So, I heard you're closing up. Why so?"



"Um, business is slow these days. No one comes in since the pandemic. Apparently everyone's very scared."



"Oh."



"Yes."



"I have an idea. Why don't I help you renovate this place? We'll be partners."



"What?! Are you serious?"



"Yes, no kidding."



"This is going to be the perfect revamp and re-marketing for my restaurant. I'm listening."



"Not like this. If we're going to discuss the renovation of a restaurant, we should do it while eating something."



"But you just had dessert, and I just ate my dinner."



"No problem, a little dessert never did anything to anyone. I'll have another round of this amazingness." He said, pointing towards his now-empty plate.



You go into the kitchen again, take out another plate and are about to return with the desserts when someone behind you says, "Keep your hands where I can see them, and don't look back."


{NOTE: Includes the poem, 'The Laburnum Top' by Ted Hughes. This is his poem, not mine. Also, this story is inspired a bit from the answer the narrator speaks out loud. It is written by me for the same question. How's it?}

June 28, 2021 16:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

56 comments

Rayhan Hidayat
20:53 Jun 28, 2021

Oh wow, this story did a whole genre shift at the end there. I quite liked how short, wholesome and slice-of-lifey this was, even if half of it was a poem and an essay. Good stuff! :)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:30 Jun 29, 2021

Thanks =D Yeah, I also didn't expect the last bit...well, what's life without changes?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
16:54 Jun 28, 2021

oooooooooooooo I must say, this is rather an interesting piece! I like the inspiration behind it, and that cliffhanger was interesting! Makes me want to read more XD The poem is lovely, I can see why you'd be inspired by it. Title ideas: Change Changed for the Better (or Worse) yeah that's all I got lol

Reply

Dhwani Jain
16:58 Jun 28, 2021

Yeah... That's why I asked you to read it... These ideas are good , but I'm not sure...I'll wait for more suggestions.... What do you think about my answer? (Reedsy is now helping me with my home work!! This is so funny!!)

Reply

TJ Squared
20:13 Jun 28, 2021

:) I like your answer, it's very thought provoking (that is funny XD) also, new story! It's kinda long, but still

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:29 Jun 29, 2021

Okay Flow, Thanks! Will read your story soon....

Reply

TJ Squared
04:14 Jun 29, 2021

:D okay, no rush :)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
04:15 Jun 29, 2021

Yeah.... it's school time

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
13:12 Jul 01, 2021

What do you think about this new title?

Reply

TJ Squared
13:14 Jul 01, 2021

it's very interesting XD

Reply

Dhwani Jain
13:16 Jul 01, 2021

In a good way?

Reply

TJ Squared
13:18 Jul 01, 2021

yes, definitely in a good way :)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
13:19 Jul 01, 2021

Thanks...I updated my bio with it..... (the fonts)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Kylie Wallis
06:20 Jul 06, 2021

Intriguing. Did not see that last paragraph coming. I now wonder what could happen next...

Reply

Dhwani Jain
06:22 Jul 06, 2021

Yeah...same here. Is it weird that even I don't know what is going to happen next?

Reply

Kylie Wallis
06:26 Jul 06, 2021

Does seem to happen that way with stories. Just when you think you've got it worked out, up comes something totally different. The only thing to do I suppose, is go along with it. Might make the story even better.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
06:29 Jul 06, 2021

Yup!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alex Sultan
02:01 Jul 02, 2021

I think it's cool to read stories from second person POV - I think you did it well, and I liked your style for this piece.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:03 Jul 02, 2021

Thanks a lot! I wrote another story a while back with the second person POV, it's called "To Save The Bot". You can read that too....

Reply

Alex Sultan
03:21 Jul 02, 2021

For sure. I'd be happy to check it out.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:26 Jul 02, 2021

Thanks! Your review there will be appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:52 Jun 30, 2021

Hey! I saw the message!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
13:58 Jun 30, 2021

Okay....come back to the doc!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
04:44 Jun 30, 2021

A wonderful story. I loved it so much . Thank you for sharing. Keep writing. Well written. Hi

Reply

Dhwani Jain
04:47 Jun 30, 2021

Thanks...any suggestions for the title?

Reply

The Cold Ice
06:04 Jun 30, 2021

No your tittle is nice,

Reply

Dhwani Jain
06:39 Jun 30, 2021

Okay

Reply

The Cold Ice
06:50 Jun 30, 2021

How are you?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
07:06 Jun 30, 2021

I am good. What about you? =D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:21 Jun 29, 2021

Wow, this was really interesting! I liked how it’s in second person, it made the story even more engaging. Great cliffhanger too—it would be cool to see a sequel! :)) I can’t really think of any good title suggestions, but maybe anything that centers around change would work! This was a great story and I‘ll be sure to check out your others soon! :) 🐈‍⬛

Reply

Dhwani Jain
14:23 Jun 29, 2021

Okay...Thanks! Sure, go check them out! A review will be appreciated. BTW, I just started a series...it's related to superheroes..

Reply

14:34 Jun 29, 2021

No problem! I definitely will :)) Really? Cool! I love superhero stories (if you couldn’t tell XD) Can’t wait to read it!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
14:37 Jun 29, 2021

Yeah...I read your bio..

Reply

14:40 Jun 29, 2021

Yep :) What are your favorite book genres?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
14:46 Jun 29, 2021

Fiction (any type's good...I'm not picky!)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapna Bali
12:08 Jun 29, 2021

Well done !!! Perfectly expressed thoughts!!! Indeed you have touched both the aspects beautifully. The content is thought provoking.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
12:29 Jun 29, 2021

Thank you so much ma'am!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:55 Jun 28, 2021

I really like this! It's really hard to write in second person, but I think you did an amazing job! And the cliffhanger! You have to write more now. A few critiques: ~A poem strikes your brain, you did this in 11th grade. Maybe try: A poem strikes your brain; the one you studied in [the] 11th grade. ~"Um,", he says between mouthfuls, "please do sit, after all, it is your restaurant." Maybe try: He says between mouthfuls, "Um, please do sit. After all, it is your restaurant." ~And, I'm assuming the MC is in the restaurant the whole time? A...

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:29 Jun 29, 2021

Thanks for the suggestions! Will surely make the changes soon. Also, I didn't understand what you mean by MC..... Nice options for the title....will think about it....

Reply

13:31 Jun 29, 2021

Oh MC is main character, sorry

Reply

Dhwani Jain
13:50 Jun 29, 2021

Oh...okay! Yes, it is in the restaurant all the time....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.