4 comments

Drama Funny

Entry 1:

I stole Mrs. Edward’s pie today. I’d feel bad about it if that pie wasn’t so darned good.


Signed,                                                                                                                            

An Honest Thief


Entry 2:


I’ve never journaled before, but how else am I supposed to keep all these experiences to myself? By the way, Mr. Kingston’s garden has one less watermelon.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 3:


How is it that some people are handed everything on a silver platter while others have to work for it? Life isn’t fair (especially for Lesley. I may or may not have liberated a burrito or two)


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 4:


Life is short. That’s why I always eat dessert first.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 5:


Stealing can be accomplished by anyone. It’s the getting away with it that requires talent--just like those muffins I borrowed this morning. Come to think of it, I can’t really unborrow them now that they are eaten...hmm.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 6:


Hate to eat and run but the police can’t track food if it's already in my stomach ;)


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 7:


Ms. Willis has some delicious preserves stored in her cellar (Note for next time I stop by)


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 8:


Why do I only steal food? Why not jewelry or money?

Easy! They don’t taste as good.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 9:


I’m so privileged to live in a town with amazing bakers on every corner. With the amount of food they cook I’m surprised we aren’t all fat!


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 10:


It’s not like my family is dirt poor or something. That’s not the reason I steal. I don’t know why I steal actually. I don’t know where I was going with this entry anymore. 


Signed,

A Honest Thief


Entry 11:


Carrot cake is Sophia’s favorite so I stopped by Anthony’s and grabbed a piece. I hope she likes it!


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 12:


Sophia is my favorite sister, then again, she’s also my only sister. She has a lot of health problems but I heard that laughter is the best medicine  so I’m happy to provide that.  


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 13:


She loved the carrot cake.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 14:


Whoo! I am in for a feast today! Mr. Headerman cooked some barbecue and went inside long enough for me to snag a bit. I then dropped by Mrs. Edward’s and added a bit of pie. I brought it all to Sophia and I’s fort. I can’t wait to see the look on her face! 


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 15:


Esther has a sweet spot for me. Those apple crumbles she conveniently placed out in the open were heavenly. 


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 16:


My dad left us when Sophia was born. He said he didn’t want to care for a disabled kid. My mom hasn’t functioned since. I hate him for that. Maybe if he had stuck around he would have loved her like I do.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 17:

I can’t hate my mom because without her  and dad Sophia wouldn’t exist. My beautiful, caring, and joyful sister. She is worth all of this pain I have endured. She is the silver lining in this dark cloud. 


Signed,

An Honest Thief



Entry 18:


I haven’t eaten a vegetable in a while...Mr. Kingston here I come!


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 19:


Sophia isn’t doing well. I guess laughter isn’t the best medicine after all because it isn’t helping her. 


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 20:


Christy  has some sodas in her garage fridge. I took one and split it with Sophia. I built a blanket fort inside since she can’t go outside anymore. She took fairy lights and strung them along the inside. 


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 21:


I’m craving some preserves on my burned toast this morning. I guess I’ll pay Ms. Willis a visit now. 


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 22:


Elise the nurse stopped by today to check up on Sophia. She was all sugary sweet and fake optimism. I hate her.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 23:


Esther let me hang on her porch as long as I kept my sticky hands to myself. I assured her I would never do such a thing as I crossed my fingers behind my back.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 24:


It’s Taco Tuesday, Sophia’s favorite. I stole a burrito from Lesley but Sophia wasn’t feeling up to eating it. She drank some chicken broth and ate some crackers instead. 


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 25:


Stealing food doesn’t appeal to me because I can’t share it with Sophia anymore. 


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 26:


Sophia can’t even get out of bed now. She just lays there looking super pale. Elise was back with her plastered smiles. 


Signed,

An Honest Thief.


Entry 27:


My dad left because he believed that it was better to run away from life’s problems than to confront them.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 28:


I don’t want to be like my dad.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 29:


Mrs. Edward was cooking pie again. She left one to cool on the window sill. I think she was expecting me to drop by. I couldn’t bring myself to take it. 


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 30:


Haha, I have reached 30 entries. I didn’t even think this journal writing would last very long. Guess I was wrong.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 31:


Sophia was moved to a hospital in the next city over. The city scares me. It’s nothing like the small town I’m from. Fast food smells permeate the air on the streets, it doesn't smell like the homemade goodies my neighbors make. 


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 32:


My mom isn’t talking. She just nods as the doctor gives her the diagnosis. From their expressions I can tell that it isn’t good news. I’m going to keep making Sophia smile so she won’t get scared.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 33:


Mom drove us home so we could shower and pack another change of clothes. Sophia’s condition hasn’t changed.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 34:


There was a pile of food in the kitchen. A carrot cake, some fresh vegetables and fruits, jars of preserves, and burritos. Elise must have let them in before she left. 


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 35:


Sophia was happy to see us. She’s hooked up to more tubes than when I last saw her. I told her stories until she fell asleep.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 36:


Very early this morning Sophia got worse. Doctors and nurses have been in and out since then. I’m not allowed to go in because I’ll “just be in the way”. I just want to go back to the times where Sophia and I would sit in our fort outside and share some carrot cake and laugh about the stupid stuff I’d done that day.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 37:


They finally let me inside. Sophia is stuck in an induced coma. She won’t even get to see me  before she leaves.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 38:


Sophia passed yesterday evening. I couldn’t bring myself to take up my journal. I didn’t want to read about the times we used to spend together. 


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 39:


Mom drove us home. The funeral is set for this Saturday.  I can’t look at her room, I can’t look at her fairy lights, I just can’t. I miss her.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 40:


I wandered the town aimlessly. I don’t know what to do anymore. My whole life was centered around my sister. 


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 41:


Was I a good brother?


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 42:


The funeral was this morning. No coffins should be that small. Sophia should have lived a long life. I hope she knows that I love her.


Signed,

An Honest Thief


Entry 43:


It’s been a while since I last wrote but I’ve finally reached the last page in this journal. I stole some carrot cake for old times sake. I bet Sophia is laughing from heaven. 


Signed,

Wells Anderson 

 


April 08, 2020 16:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Zea Bowman
17:05 Apr 19, 2020

Wow...moving. One question: You wrote that the coffin was too small. How old was Sophia?

Reply

Leland Day
18:21 Apr 19, 2020

Thank you :) Sophia's around 9

Reply

Zea Bowman
16:19 Apr 20, 2020

Thanks and no problem! I read some of your other stories and loved them!

Reply

Leland Day
17:41 Apr 20, 2020

I should have clarified that better, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I appreciate your feedback! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.